Humility !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen Sister thanks for the daily bread

John 13:4:10

Before the Passover holiday Jesus shared a meal with his Disciples. That meal was called the Feast of the Passover, and Jesus knew that when the meal was done, it would be time for him to endure his crucifixion.

Jesus wanted his disciples to remember his teachings about loving one another, so after the meal He poured water into a bowl and began to wash their feet.
Peter did not understand why his beloved teacher would do such a thing, and he did not want Jesus to wash his feet. He told Jesus he should be washing HIS feet!

Jesus insisted, telling Peter that if he wouldn't allow him to wash his feet, he would have no part with him. Peter being Peter...declared, then wash my head and my hands too!

Jesus left his disciples with a powerful lesson in humility that day. He taught them about humility and love, and what it truly meant to be a servant, and one of his followers.

God bless

The Ways of a Backslider Pro. 14:14 with II Pet. 2:6-8
The life of Lot offers many "ways" of a backslider. You're probably backslidden if:

1. You walk by sight, rather than faith - Gen. 13:10
2. You make decisions without praying - Gen. 13:11
3. You are comfortable around worldly and wicked people - Gen. 13:12; 19:1
4. You are a continual burden to God's people - Gen. 14:11-16 (Lot was always a burden to Abraham.)
5. You seek to honor men rather than God - Gen. 19:1
6. You have experienced a compromise in moral standards - Gen. 19:8
7. Your testimony is not taken seriously - Gen. 19:14
8. You are not trying to win souls - Gen. 19:15; 18:32 (Lot had won no one outside of his family.)
9. You linger about obeying God's word - Gen. 19:15-16
10. You deny God's word - Gen. 19:18-20

Fellowship with Jesus
Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.
- John 13:1

1. Looking to Christ
6Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?
7Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
- John 13:6-7

2. Lodging with Christ
He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
- John 13:4
So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
- John 13:12

3. Listing to Christ
So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
- John 13:12
21When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
22Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake.
- John 13:21-21

4. Leaning on Christ
23Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.
24Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake.
25He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?
- John 13:23-25

5. Learning from Christ
13Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
14If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
15For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
- John 13:13-15

6. Living as Christ
34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
- John 13:34-35

7. Longing for Christ
36Simon Peter said unto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards.
37Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my life for thy sake.
- John 13:36-37

Fools in the Eyes of Jesus
Five times in the Bible Jesus chose to address people as "fools":

1. The Careless Fool - Mat. 7:24-27
2. The Hypocritical Fool - Mat. 23:17-19
3. The Sleeping Fool - Mat. 25:1-8
4. The Materialistic Fool - Luke 12:16-20
5. The Unbelieving Fool - Luke 24:25

Things a Christian Can Lose
Although a blood-bought saint of God doesn't have to worry about losing his or her salvation, there are several things that CAN be lost if we aren't careful:

1. You can lose your assurance - Isa. 32:17
2. You can lose your joy - Psa. 51:12 Gal. 5:22
3. You can lose your testimony - Gen. 19:14 (Like Lot)
4. You can lose your health - I Cor. 11:30-32
5. You can lose your life - I Cor. 11:30; I John 5:16
6. You can lose your rewards - II John 8
7. You can lose your inheritance - Gal. 4:1-7

A Message of Hope For All The Married Couple
by Zac Poonen

The wedding at Cana, gives us a glimpse of the blessedness that comes through honouring God (John 2:1-11). It is significant that it was at a wedding, that Jesus decided to manifest His glory for the first time. Even today, He desires to manifest His glory at every wedding and in every marriage. The shortage of wine at Cana indicates that problems and needs will arise in every marriage. These problems can ultimately lead both husband and wife to a point of continued frustration and despair. But when Jesus is given the pre-eminent place in a marriage, He very soon solves the problems and meets the needs - as He did at Cana. It is not enough for Christ to be invited as a guest into the home; He must be Lord.

It is mere mockery to hang a placard on the wall which reads, "CHRIST IS THE HEAD OF THIS HOUSE", if in actual fact the husband (or the wife!) is the real head. But wherever Christ is truly acknowledged as Head and Lord, He manifests His glory as really as He did at Cana two thousand years ago (v.11). "Whatever He says to you, do it", was the advice given by Mary to the servants there (v.5). They heeded that advice and obeyed Jesus implicitly and immediately - and soon the problem was solved. If only married couples (as well as young people contemplating marriage) would heed the same advice and render the same implicit and immediate obedience to the Lord's commands, how soon their problems would find a solution.

The water was transformed into wine at that wedding. That which was tasteless and colourless and ordinary was changed in a moment into something sweet and sparkling and costly. This symbolizes how the common things of married life (including the monotonous drudgery of daily routine) can begin to sparkle with a lustre, when the Lord is given full control of the home. The tasteless becomes sweet, and infinite value begins to be seen in that which was formerly despised as common.

The needs of many people were met too, as a result of that miracle. A Christian marriage never fulfills its purpose by providing happiness merely for both the partners. God's intention is that married couples should have their cups "running over" constantly (Psa. 23:5). They should be the means of blessing to many others - in fact to every one they meet. God once said to an obedient servant of His - "I will bless you... and you shall be a blessing - dispensing good to others... (and) in you shall all the families and kindred of the earth be blessed" (Gen. 12:2,3). That blessing of God is for us too, according to Galatians 3:14. What greater aim could one have in marriage than that? But the measure in which we become a blessing to others will depend on the measure in which we obey God in our daily life. "In your seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have heard and obeyed My voice", said the Lord to Abraham (Gen. 22:18).

The miracle at Cana holds out a message of hope too, for those who have blundered and failed in the realm of marriage. When the wine failed at Cana, they turned to the Lord and He did not let them down. He will not let you down either, if you turn to Him in your need - no matter how great your failure may have been. He only asks you to be honest about that need (as those in Cana were) and to tell Him of your failure. Have you through your foolishness, allowed things to go too far ? Have you blundered in the matter of love - perhaps through ignorance? Are you, as a result, facing embarrassment and frustration now? Do others misunderstand you and reproach you - or perhaps malign you? Then turn to the Lord at once, without a moment's delay. He is the Friend of sinners. He waits not only to forgive your sin but also to clean up the mess that Satan has made of your life. It was to fulfill these two purposes that He came into the world (1 John 3:5,8). Don't give way to discouragement, for there is hope even for you. The Lord more than made up for the lack at that wedding in Cana, and He can more than make up for every lack in your life. The Lord manifested His glory at Cana, and He can do the same in your case.

If you have faced disappointment, take heart from the fact that true blessedness in the Christian life comes through renouncing and not through possessing (Acts 20:35). God can make all things work together for your good, and help you to live a full life for His glory in spite of unfulfilled desires.

Gen. 16:1-14 THE GOD WHO SEES
Intro: Ill. The Context. Hagar is alone, frightened and sure that God is nowhere around. Yet, in her trial, God knew exactly where she was. He saw every move she made and He came to her to offer comfort and hope.
I have had a hard time this week getting away from the question I posed to you on Sunday. “Why?” Others have as well. While I cannot tell you the answer to that question, I can tell you about The God Who Sees. I cannot define His purposes or explain His Person, but I can tell you that He is well aware of all that is going on in our lives.
When God showed up in the middle of Hagar’s nightmare, she stood amazed in the profound truth that God Almighty had His eye on her. She was amazed that God cared about Hagar. She was so amazed that she called His name “El-Roi” – “Thou God Seest Me!” She named the well “Beerlahairoi” – “The well of the Living One that seest me.”
I want every person in this room to know that the same God Who saw Hagar has His eye on you. He knows where you are. He sees what you are going through. I would like to draw preach around the phrase found in verse 13 that says, “Thou God seest me”. I would like to try and preach about God’s omniscience.
I want you to see the truth that He sees you. I want you to see the truth that He sees you, but it is not with disinterest. He sees you and He cares about you. I want you to come to understand that you are “the apple of His eye”, Psa. 17:8; Zech. 2:8. Let me share some of the details of His omniscience with you as I try to preach about The God Who Sees.

I. THE CERTAINTY OF HIS OMNISCIENCE
(Ill. “Thou God seest me” - “Omniscience” = “Possessing total knowledge; knowing everything.” When we say that God is omniscient, we are saying that He knows absolutely everything there is to know. The proof of His omniscience can be found in four areas.)
· In His Person – The Greeks called God “Theos”. This word comes from a root word that means, “The One Who Sees.” The very concept of deity revolves around His ability to see His creation. The ancients saw God as a Being Who could take in the whole of His creation with a single glance. They saw Him as One Who knows every detail in the universe with complete knowledge. When we breath His name, we are invoking that Name of “The One Who Sees”. As Spurgeon said, “It were as impossible to conceive of a God Who did not observe everything, as to conceive of a round square.”
· In His Presence – God knows everything not only because of Who He is, but also because of where He is. The Psalmist reminds us of His omnipresence, Psa. 139:1-12. He does not see us from afar, but He ever with us, beholding all we do, Pro. 15:3. God is in you, around you, before you, beneath you, above you and within you. It would be easier to escape from your own skin than to escape from Him. (Ill. His greatness! One Who fills all must therefore know all!)
· In His Power – God knows everything not just because of Who He is and where He is, but also because of what He does. Our God is not disconnected from His creation. He sees the sparrow that falls to the earth. He knows the very number of the hairs on your head, Matt. 10:29-31. Everywhere you go, everywhere you look, you can see the hand of God actively involved in His creation, Psa. 19:1-4a. He controls everything in this world. (Ill. What this means!) A God Who fills all things and controls all things must therefore know all things!
· In His Purposes – God knows everything because He is God; because He is everywhere; and because He controls all things. It is also clear that He knows what will take place before it ever happens, Isa. 46:10-11; Psa. 135:6; Dan. 4:35. How does God know what will happen before it takes place? He plans it, Eph. 1:11! Nothing can happen in this world that is not a part of God’s eternal, perfect, unstoppable plan! That may not help you, but it sure does bless me! That puts the comfort in Rom. 8:28. A God Who plans all things is surely able to know all things!

II. THE CONSEQUENCES OF HIS OMNISCIENCE
(Ill. “Thou God seest me” – The God we serve is an omniscience God. He sees all things all the time. Since that is true, what does that mean for us?)
· His Knowledge Of You Is Personal – “seest ME!” – God sees you as if there were not another creature in His universe. Can you get your mind around that? If I try to see each of you, I am forced to look at one person at a time. God can see all things at the same time and still give each person His full attention! Now, imagine that every star and heavenly body was gone from sight. Imagine that all the earth was void of the features that catch the eye. Now, imagine in that environment that the piercing eyes of God were focused solely on you. That is just how it is! You are the focus of His undivided attention. (Ill. John 4 – When Jesus spoke to the woman at the well, there might as well have been no one else in the world. That is how He sees you. You are the particular object of His attention right now!)
· His Knowledge Of You Is Perfect – “SEEST me!” – When God sees you, He does not just see what you are wearing, where you are going or the expression on your face. He sees you entirely, completely, without and within at the same time. He knows every thought, every imagination, even before they are formed in the mind, Psa. 139:4. As you move through this life, your God sees you completely, perfectly and thoroughly.
· His Knowledge Of You Is Persistent – “Thou God SEEST me.” – “Seest” is a present tense verb. God sees and He always sees. How we watch ourselves when the eyes of men are known to be upon us! We weight every word, watch every step and temper every deed, when the eyes of others are watching. But when the eyes of men are nowhere around, we tend to let down our guard. Let me just remind that when others are gone; when the door is closed; when darkness has enveloped us; and when we think we are all alone, the eyes of Almighty God see us still, Psa. 139:11-12; Isa. 29:15; Jer. 23:24.
· His Knowledge Of You Is Phenomenal – “Thou God SEEST me!” – The word implies absolute sight. We think we see ourselves, but others often see us better than we see ourselves. While others may see us and judge our physical frame; and the wisest among us might be able to interpret our thoughts, deeds and motive; no one will ever know us like He does! He sees all, both that which is public and that which is private. Your parents, your spouse and your dearest friends may know you intimately, but they will never know you like God does. You may think you know yourself, but you will never know your own heart like He does. He knows all there is to know about us, Psa. 139:1-3.

III. THE COMFORT OF HIS OMNISCIENCE
(Ill. When we think of the omniscience of God, we often think of just the negative side. We think about how God sees everything we think, say or do, and this thought bothers us. In reality, the complete knowledge of God is one of the most comforting truths there is! Let me tell you why.)
· He Sees The Supplicant – In this passage, we see Hagar on the run. She is in a time of terrible distress. Yet, in the midst of her trial, she has a conversation with God. We call this prayer.
I am glad God hears me when I pray, aren’t you? That is His promise, Isa. 65:24; Jer. 33:3; Matt. 7:7-11. But, there are times when I cannot put my prayers into words. What then? The God Who sees all things sees even the thought of my heart that cannot be expressed. He hears the prayer that remains unspoken. He interprets the message of our tears. He reads the unspoken message of the burdened heart! He does not need for us to frame our prayers in words; He can comprehend the depth of our petition, because He knows us intimately. Ill. Rom. 8:26-27. Even when the golden thread of life is severed and I slip out into eternity, I will enter Heaven with a prayer in my spirit and He will know that prayer just as surely as He knows me today!
· He Sees The Sufferer – In these verses, Hagar is suffering. She has been rejected, abused and hated. She is all alone and on the run. Her heart is broken and she does not know what to do. In her pain, she encounters the God Who sees.
No person sees it all! All around us today, there are people who suffer. They have pain and heartache that they keep well hidden from those around them. Take heart my friends! People around you may not see nor understand, but there is a God in Heaven Who knows all about the path you walk, Job 23:10. He knows where you are today and He knows what is around the next bend in the road. Since He knows, He is able to help you as no other! He knows your pain, Heb. 4:15. He cares about you, 1 Pet. 5:7. He is able to give you peace in your valley, Phil. 4:6-7. He is able to work in your situation to bring about the best conclusion, Rom. 8:28; 2 Cor. 4:17. He knows how to bring joy out of your dark night, Psa. 30:15.
· He Sees The Slandered – Hagar has also been slandered. She is but a slave and she has been forced by her mistress into a situation she could not avoid. Now, she is forced to bear the brunt of Sarai’s anger. In that place of misunderstanding and slander, she find help from the God Who sees.
There is no shortage of people who would slander our good names and our pure motives. Who hasn’t been misunderstood, misrepresented or become the focus of some malicious gossip and their hateful words? We all have, but God sees the truth! While other might spread their lies, God knows all there is to know about you and the circumstances you are in. One day, He will set the record straight.
How do you answer your accusers? By doing good. Ill. David – 1 Sam. 17. He was ridicules by Eliab, v. 28 and by Saul, v. 32. David’s answer was to walk across the plain and slay the giant. My answer to slander and you answer to slander should be that we always do the right thing. Live for God and stay the course and God will allow you to live down those who would damage your good name! (Ill. That is my plan!)
· He Sees The Sinner – By birth, Hagar was an Egyptian. She was a heathen, a pagan, a sinner. Yet, the eye of God was upon her. She ran away, but she could not get away from the gaze of God.
If you are lost, you may think God doesn’t think about you. The truth is, He sees all you do. He is there when the thought of sin in conceived. He is there when the deed of sin is carried out. He will be watching when the sentence of sin is carried out. (Ill. Imagine the difference in the O.J. Simpson trial if Judge Lance Ito could have entered the courtroom and said, “I saw it all!” Well, God can and will say that! There will be no hiding in that day. Ill. Rev. 20:11-15) the best thing you can do is turn to Jesus for salvation today.

Conc: Thank God that He sees all! It may be that Satan or others have been telling you that God is not seeing what you are going through. Satan is a liar. God sees and God cares. Do you need to talk to Him about some things? Maybe you need to come and acknowledge His watch care. Maybe you need to bow and thank Him that He is The God Who Sees.

Delivering Love
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life ( John 3:16 ).
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends
( John 15:13 ).
God so loved the world that He “gave.” This is the secret of love, to give, to share, that others may benefit. Jesus Christ, the begotten Son, was given to the world to share His mercy and grace to all.
God delivered His love through the Son. It wasn’t enough for God to speak from Heaven and say, “I love you, world.” Love shows action. The delivering love of God was seen by His Son dying on the cross for our sins.
When Jesus Christ walked this earth, He showed His love.
1. Sharing love. Jesus opened the eyes of the blind, healed lepers, caused the dumb to talk, and raised the dead. He gave power to His disciples over all the forces of the devil. Christ gave us an example, that we ought to love one another. This can be seen in reading, John 13:34-35.
As Christ loved us, we are to love one another.
We are not disciples of Christ by building a huge Temple.
We are not disciples of Christ by giving large sums of money.
We are not disciples of Christ by looking holy.
We are disciples of Christ if we love one another.

As Jesus shared His love, we are to share our love to our neighbors. Love your neighbor, be gentle, kind, and considerate.
When Jesus walked this earth, He showed:
2. Enduring love. Jesus endured hunger, that we might be fed. He endured the shame and beatings for our sake.
He endured the crown of thorns.
He endured the nails in His hands.
He endured the stripes upon His back.
Hebrews 12:2, tells us He endured the cross, despising the shame. We are to endure all things for Christ’s sake ( II Timothy 2:10 ).
Let us have the enduring love of Christ.
Let us endure the trials and persecutions.
Let us endure the shame and ridicule, living for Him.
Paul told Timothy to endure afflictions. Christ endured more than we will ever experience.
Jesus tells us in Matthew 10:22, that we will be hated of all men for his Name sake, but if we endure to the end, we shall be saved. My friend, endure all things, and hold on to enduring love.
3. Faithful love. Christ was faithful unto death, even the death of the cross. He was faithful in His service. He was faithful in His cause for salvation to all.
We today, are to demonstrate faithful love.
We should be faithful to the House of God.
We should be faithful in giving of our substance.
We should be faithful in our praise and worship.
We should be faithful to our word.
We should be faithful to our spouse.
If we remain faithful in this life, we will rule over cities ( Luke 19:17 ).
If we remain faithful unto death, we shall receive a crown of life
( Revelation 2:10 ).
God today, wants us to demonstrate faithful love.
4. Forgiving love. When He was on the cross, Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” Jesus, in His dying hour, forgave those who were against Him.
We need to demonstrate this forgiving love today. Peter was admonished by Jesus to forgive his brother seventy times seven ( Matthew 18:21 ).
Let us forgive others, as Christ forgave us of our sins. Our world would be a better place, if we demonstrated forgiving love.
5. Saving love. While on the cross, Jesus saved a thief, who cried out for mercy. In His earthly ministry, He forgave and saved others. His willingness to die on the cross, was an act of saving love for the whole world.
Jesus came to save, heal, and proclaim the gospel, and the Kingdom of Heaven.
Let us go forth today, with the saving love of God, and reach out with the gospel of Christ.
Peter preached the gospel on the Day of Pentecost, with saving love. He was concerned for the lost souls of his generation.
When Jesus walked this earth, He demonstrated:
6. Conquering love. Jesus conquered death, Hell, and the grave. He conquered the forces of Satan for our behalf. He stands today, as the world greatest conqueror.
He conquered more than Alexander the Great.
He conquered more than Caesar.
He conquered more than Napoleon.
Jesus conquered through love.
Let us go forth today, with the conquering love of Christ, and set the captives free.
We can conquer temptation.
We can conquer the forces of Satan.
Paul said, in Romans 8:37, that we are more than conquerors through Christ.
When Jesus walked this earth, He demonstrated:
7. Sustaining love. Jesus was the burden bearer. He bore our sins on the cross. All things were sustained by Him. We should cast all our burdens on the Lord, for He will sustain us ( Psalms 55:22 ).
He will never suffer us to fail, or to fall.
He will uplift us.
He will support us.
He will enlighten us.
Thank God for the sustaining love of Christ.

Yes, God delivered His love through Jesus Christ, our Lord, that we might be saved today.
Oh, the delivering love of God.

Walking Before God

“I am the Almighty God; walk before Me, and be thou perfect” (Gen. 17:1).
One of the ways a parent guides a child is through the use of direct commands. If a child
perceives that a parent is only suggesting that he or she do something, it is very unlikely that the
child will obey. To make totally clear what is expected, the parent must give pointed statements.
Instead of vaguely asking, “How about cleaning up your room?” a direct command like, “You
must clean up your room now!” should be used.
Following the revelation of Himself as “the Almighty God,” the Lord gave Abraham the
direct command, “walk before Me, and be thou perfect” (Gen. 17:1). This means that he was to
walk in front of God, in God’s presence, in God’s sight. Because this command came to the
patriarch when he was ninety-nine years old, we conclude that he had previously walked with
God. At this time, however, he was ordered to walk before Him.
How can we distinguish between the two ideas—walking with God and walking before
God? It appears that walking with God makes us more aware of where He is, but walking before
God brings us face to face with Who He is! Walking with God familiarizes us with God’s works
and actions. Walking before Him, however, puts us more in touch with His heart and His ways. As
we walk before Him, we become more sensitive to His nature, His character, His person.
1.Walking before God is living in consciousness of God!

A new name was introduced to
Abraham in this setting—the name “God Almighty,” or El-Shaddai, the many-breasted One, the
God Who is more than sufficient. As Abraham became more conscious of God Himself, no doubt
he became more conscious that God was conscious of all his deeds and his needs. Of course, we
can be certain of this, too. “But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory
by Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:19).

2.Walking before God is living in consecration to God!

The words “before the Lord” are often
associated with spiritual service and consecration. The Old Testament priests sprinkled blood
“before the Lord” seven times (Lev. 4:17). Aaron turned the lamps “before the Lord” in the holy
place (Exo. 27:21). The cleansing of the leper also took place “before the Lord” (Lev. 14:11). Oh,
may we “serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear” (Heb. 12:28).

3. Walking before God is living in compliance with God!

Along side of the command “walk
before Me” is the phrase “and be thou perfect.” The Hebrew word that is translated “perfect”
suggests to “live uprightly, or sincerely,” and brings the God-conscious soul face to face with the
responsibility of a blameless life. With Paul, let us pray that God will establish our “hearts

unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father” (1 Thes. 3:13).

Walking With God​
“And Enoch walked with God” (Gen. 5:24); “And Noah walked with God” (Gen. 6:9).
Those who are really into physical fitness know that a walk every now and then is not
enough to improve one’s health, though any amount of movement is better than none. But to really
benefit from walking, we must entertain a permanent lifestyle change. One must not just take a
walk; one must become a walker. It is not enough to take steps toward good health; good health is
taking a journey of steps.
When we refer to one’s walk in life, the basic idea that is underlined is not steps, or the
movement of one’s legs, but a manner of life or lifestyle. One’s walk, or movement in life, reveals
the primary concerns and aspirations of that individual. Walking with God, then, is to live with a
desire to know God and to live in a spirit of God-consciousness! It is to rely upon Him, to trust
Him, in every facet of life.
In no way would I suggest that this little article addresses all the issues of this great life
involvement. Yet with what is stated throughout the Word of truth and with the assistance of the
Spirit of truth, I would like to magnify this practical truth! Using the two above texts and the two
men of the texts, Enoch and Noah, here are three observations about walking with God. Hopefully,
our desire to walk with Him will be encouraged and strengthened.

1. Walking with God indicates a meeting with God!

Because of man’s fallen condition, both
Enoch and Noah had to experience a work of grace in their lives! It appears that Enoch met the
Lord “after he begat Methuselah” (Gen. 5:22), and from that point began to walk with God! “Noah
found grace in the eyes of the Lord” (Gen. 6:8), and, after this meeting with God, began to walk
with Him. It continues to be true that only those who meet Him can walk with Him.

2. Walking with God indicates a merging with God!

We cannot walk with God, declared the
prophet, unless we are in agreement with Him (see Amos 3:3). Our plans must be subjected to His
plans; our ways must be yielded to His ways; our aspirations must be synchronized with His
aspirations. Although we live in a different age from Enoch and Noah, may we who have been
“called unto the fellowship of His Son” (1 Cor. 1:9) walk in this intimacy.

3. Walking with God indicates a movement with God!

As we walk physically, we move
forward, we advance. Walking with God, Enoch and Noah made progress in the spiritual realm!
Similarly, as we walk with God we mature and advance in the things of God. It is impossible to
walk with God and never go anywhere in our Christian experience. May our great concern be to

know Him and to move through life with Him!

Praise worthy Ebenezer
Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us.
- 1 Samuel 7:12

1. Devoted prostration
Then the children of Israel did put away Baalim and Ashtaroth, and served the LORD only.
- 1 Samuel 7:4

2. Deep purification
And they gathered together to Mizpeh, and drew water, and poured it out before the LORD, and fasted on that day, and said there, We have sinned against the LORD. And Samuel judged the children of Israel in Mizpeh.
- 1 Samuel 7:6

3. Diligent prayer
And Samuel took a sucking lamb, and offered it for a burnt offering wholly unto the LORD: and Samuel cried unto the LORD for Israel; and the LORD heard him.
- 1 Samuel 7:9

4. Dreadful pursuits
10And as Samuel was offering up the burnt offering, the Philistines drew near to battle against Israel: but the LORD thundered with a great thunder on that day upon the Philistines, and discomfited them; and they were smitten before Israel.
11And the men of Israel went out of Mizpeh, and pursued the Philistines, and smote them, until they came under Bethcar.
- 1 Samuel 7:10-11

5. Delightful plunder
And the cities which the Philistines had taken from Israel were restored to Israel, from Ekron even unto Gath; and the coasts thereof did Israel deliver out of the hands of the Philistines. And there was peace between Israel and the Amorites.
- 1 Samuel 7:14

Moses’ Great Mistake
So Moses hearkened to the voice of his father in law, and did all that he had said.” (Exodus 18:24)

The Lord God of Israel made his servant Moses the judge and pastor, the leader and the teacher of a congregation of more than 4,000,000 people. The work with which the Lord God had trusted Moses was a great, demanding work, involving the highest honor any man can have upon the earth. Moses was God’s spokesman to his people (Exodus 18:15-16; Ephesians 3:8). It was a work for which the Lord had graciously equipped his servant.

Jethro’s Counsel

But when his father-in-law, Jethro, saw what Moses was doing, he said, “The thing that thou doest is not good. Thou wilt surely wear away, both thou, and this people that is with thee: for this thing is too heavy for thee; thou art not able to perform it thyself alone…Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel…Appoint judges to help you…God will be with you…So shall it be easier for thyself…They shall bear the burden with thee…Thou shalt be able to endure” (Exodus 18:17-23).

Jethro’s counsel probably arose from loving concern for Moses’ health. It was, in a fleshly sense, wise and prudent counsel. But Moses did wrong in obeying Jethro’s counsel. He made a great mistake, from which there was no recovery. That will be obvious to anyone who reads in Numbers 10 and 11 what happed after “Moses hearkened to the voice of his father in law.

Remember, Jethro was an unbeliever, a heathen priest. He had no spiritual discernment. The servant of God must never allow himself to be guided by natural principles. He must not conferwith flesh and blood (Galatians 1:15). He must not ask himself, “What is best for me? — What is best for my family? — What would family and friends have me to do?” That man who is engaged in the service of God must never heed the counsel of carnal wisdom. He must take his orders only from his Master. — “Whatsoever he saith unto you, Do it!” (John 2:5).

If we would obey our God, if we would serve him in any area of life, our actions must be determined only by the Word of God, the will of God and the glory of God.

A Great Burden

That which had been Moses’ highest honor and greatest privilege became a great burden to him once he began to consider himself.

A newborn baby in a young family is a great, inexpressible delight to a loving mother. The cries of the child do not annoy her. The dirty diapers are not repulsive to her. The aching breasts do not make her resentful. But let that mother begin to think of herself and all that the child is costing her, and that newborn child may be in grave danger at its mother’s own hands. So it was with Moses. When he began to consider himself rather than the will of God, the glory of God and the people of God, he began to look upon his service as a great burden and greatly resented it (Number 11:11-15).

Moses was willing to relinquish the work and the post of high honor to which God had called him. True, his responsibility was immense. He should have said to himself and to Jethro, God’s grace is sufficient.” Instead, Moses’ heart failed him. He sighed, “I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too heavy for me” (Numbers 11:14). God never called him to bear the burden of his people alone. And God had never left him alone. Moses was only the instrument by which God worked. It was the Lord God who carried the load, and performed the work.

Moses’ relinquishing of his burden had the appearance of humility; but it was only an appearance of humility. With his lips, he said, “I am not sufficient.” But he was really saying, “Lord, you are not sufficient!” Let no man thrust himself into any work. But to shrink from any work or responsibility God has put upon us is both cowardice and unbelief. — “Is anything too hard for the Lord?” — No work is too great. — No burden is too heavy for God!

Someone once said, “With him the weight of a mountain is nothing; without Him, the weight of a feather is overwhelming.” The Apostle Paul asserted, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me” (Philippians 4:13). That is the proper attitude. Any place where God puts me is a place of honor. Any work God puts in my hands is honorable work (1 Corinthians 1:26-29).

It is never an act of humility or faith to depart from any divinely appointed post, or any divinely appointed work for any reason. Difficulties are nothing to God. He who divided the Red Sea can open the way before you. Needs are nothing to God. He who owns all the deep mines of the earth can supply our needs. Our inabilities are nothing to God. — “When I am weak, then am I strong!” God can draw a straight line with a crooked stick. He can conquer a nation by an old man. And he can speak to the hearts of sinners by a stuttering, stammering tongue. God can speak as easily by a ******* as by a man. The power by which we do his work is not ours, but his!

The Burden Removed

When Moses complained of the burden God had imposed upon him, the Lord quickly took it away (Numbers 11:16-17). God will never force us to serve him. If I don’t want to speak for him, he can raise up stones to do so. If I don’t want to wash and kiss the Master’s feet, somebody will. If I don’t want to break my alabaster box of ointment and anoint him, somebody will. If I don’t want to be bothered by serving Christ, he will not force me to do so. He doesn’t need me; and he doesn’t need you!

If the honor and privilege God has given us in his service becomes a burden to us, and we want to lay it down, he will let us. We can step down from the place of dignity if we want to, and sink into the place where base unbelief is sure to put us. Thus God took the burden away! And when the Lord relieved Moses of his burden, he also relieved him of his honor, the blessing of the burden, and Moses withered (Numbers 11:21-23).

Don Fortner​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Humility or humbleness is a quality of being courteously respectful of others. It is the opposite of aggressiveness, arrogance, boastfulness, and vanity. Rather than, "Me first," humility allows us to say, "No, you first, my friend." Humility is the quality that lets us go more than halfway to meet the needs and demands of others.[/FONT]

Daniels you must love to study the bible. I just finished reading Song of Songs. It is derived from the saying "king of kings", or "lord of lords".

God our captain
And, behold, God himself is with us for our captain, and his priests with sounding trumpets to cry alarm against you. O children of Israel, fight ye not against the LORD God of your fathers; for ye shall not prosper.
- 2 Chronicles 13:12

1. Captain leads
And it shall be, when the officers have made an end of speaking unto the people that they shall make captains of the armies to lead the people.
- Deuteronomy 20:9

2. Captain fights
Then they said to Jephthah, “Come and be our commander, that we may fight against the people of Ammon.”
- Judges 11:6

3. Captain counsels
For the king said to Joab the captain of the host, which was with him, Go now through all the tribes of Israel, from Dan even to Beersheba, and number ye the people, that I may know the number of the people.
-2 Samuel 24:2

The blessed saints of God
1Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
2Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. - Ephesians 1:1-2

1. Saints merriment
Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints
- Ephesians 1:15

2. Saints magnificence
16Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
- Ephesians 1:16-18

3. Saints mansion
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
- Ephesians 2:19

4. Saints magnanimity
May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
- Ephesians 3:18

5. Saints maturity
11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
- Ephesians 4:11-13

6. Saints manners
3But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
4Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
- Ephesians 5:3-4

5. Saints maintenance
Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
- Ephesians 6:18

Panting After God​
“As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after Thee, O God” (Psa. 42:1).​
According to The Zondervan Pictoral Bible Dictionary, the “hart” of Bible times was
“similar to the American elk but somewhat smaller.” A few other facts are mentioned: “Harts
are stags or male deer whereas hinds are female deer. A single hart may weigh as much as three
hundred pounds. Their six-prong antlers are shed annually. The habitat of the hart differs from
that of the gazelle as the former must have more water.”
From the Old Testament Scriptures we learn that the hart moved from pasture to pasture
for food (see Lam. 1:6). Also, as is true with deer, the hart intrigued its human observers with
its unusual leaping ability (see Isa. 35:6). The animal’s need for water, however, is the primary
message emphasized in our text. The deer-like creature must have accessible and adequate
supplies of water.
The Psalmist used the hart’s longings for water to illustrate his own deep yearnings for
God. We read in the Bible that “there is none that seeketh after God” (Rom. 3:11). There are no
natural inclinations in the natural man toward God. The longings of the Psalmist’s soul,
therefore, (and any longings in you and me, as well), testify of the work of the Holy Spirit in the
life. Several streams of truth issue out of these water brooks.​
As a deer knows that water alone will satisfy its thirst, so we must understand that God
alone satisfies the yearnings He arouses within us!​
When being chased by dogs or alarmed by
the gunshots of hunters, a weary deer makes its way to a stream of water from which it finds
renewed strength. Similarly, believers often become weary in their journey, but, thank God, the
satisfaction and strength we need is in our God Himself.

As a deer goes to water to escape the dogs on its trail, so we must recognize that God
alone can deliver us from our enemies!​
Sometimes, when attempting to evade its agitators, the
deer enters a stream, goes some distance with the current, then gets out on the other side. While
the dogs are going up and down the bank trying to decide which way to go, the deer smiles as it
escapes again. Likewise, the individual who runs to God finds safety and furtherance.

As a deer finds in water a means to stop its bleeding wound, so we must be aware that
God alone can heal the wounds of life!​
Not only does cool water clot the flowing blood, but it
refreshes the deer’s pain-ridden body. There is hope if it can get to the water. With the Psalmist,
who likened his seeking soul to a panting deer, may we pant after God for true satisfaction of

soul, deliverance from our enemies, and spiritual and inner healing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back