Drunk In The Spirit Biblical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well these are just terms that could mean a lot of things to a lot of folks, but when the REAL HOLY SPIRIT falls upon a group of hungry believers, things don't look like these dead religious folks want things to look. And if some of you see errors in some things? Don't defame the Spirit of God to prove some point about how spiritual you are. If you have never been in a real service with the real Power of Gods Spirit, you in no position to judge all these things as you should be. Yes this kundilia stuff is crazy and there are a lot of nuts and flakes, but some on this thread are near to blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. But there seems to be little fear of God among those who speak evil against the Holy Spirit?

I do believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Thanks God I have met prophets and people with the gift of tongues. I know that God spoke to me through them because nobody except God could knew all the secrets of my heart or comfort me even when there seemed to be no hope. However, none of these people who were led by the Holy Ghost rolled on the ground and laughed with no reason. They didn't fall on the floor for half an hour without any reason or purpose.

Of course that we must be respectful towards God and especially towards the Holy Spirit, but we must also be able to discern the spirits.

The street is 2 ways, friend. I rarely learn from out of context scripture. I already did one on righteous but decided not to use it for the above stated reason. And like JPT, I (and you apparently) aren't going to see eye to eye. I believe you love God and I believe He loves all of us more than any of us could handle to the nth power. I think we are all "special and unique" in His eyes and we are all included in His plan. But none of us are worthy of it.

Are you speaking of our God, the creator of the universe, can do nothing without human beings?
Can the Lord God work without using his Word, which is Jesus Christ? For it was by the Word that all things were created. Jesus came to not only give up his life, but also to give us his life. When you became a born again Christian, that life that was in Jesus now becomes our life. Christ is now our life, and it is no longer "I" that liveth but Christ.

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

When God works he always works through his Word which is Jesus Christ who is now our life. If we the Church do not yield ourselves to God in us, how is he going to work? He can't. Jesus during his physical life said that, "I can of my own self do nothing" John 5:30 If Jesus did not yield himself to his father who was dwelling in him how could our salvation be completed?

I have seen a lot of people being "drunk in the spirit". In my opinion this is not the work of the Holy Ghost because almost all of the churches in which I have seen this had been involved in some kind of scandal (their preacher had two wives, etc.). More importantly, this is not a Biblical manifestation of the Holy Spirit. Nowhere does it say that Peter or Paul were "drunk in the Spirit" and therefore rolled over on the ground laughing hysterically and mumbling incoherent things. What would be the purpose of these things? Why would the Holy Ghost produce such a pointless manifestation? I don't buy it and I would be extremely
cautious if I saw these things within my congregation.

The pastors who practice these things normally allude to something called "the river of the spirit". It sounds like Hindu mysticism an I wouldn't be surprised if it is the kundalini spirit mentioned in this thread by other posters. In these churches in which people are "drunk in the spirit" there are people who wriggle like snakes. They told me that they can't control their bodies.

Concerning slain in the Spirit, this is what the Spirit gave to me this morning while at church(?)

In reference to angelic visitations in the OT, the people being spoken to fell down on their faces and worshiped, also John when he saw Jesus in His glory, ...in Phil 2 we read how Jesus left behind His authority, majesty, glory and power to take on the form of a man, ...this is what the Spirit showed me, if Jesus hadn't relinquished them, then everywhere He walked during His lifetime people would of been falling down, face first, in involuntarily worship of Him because of His Divine Authoritative presence, ...that is why everything Jesus did, miracle, healing, teaching was all done through Him by the power of the Holy Spirit, ...if Jesus is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, then the Holy Spirit that was working, moving through Jesus is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. ...We don't read anywhere in Scripture where people fell backwards when worshiping the Lord by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I've first heard about the rivers coming together when I watched this video for the first time, the rivers, as stated by the proponents of this, are the Pensacola Blessings, the Kansas City Blessing and the Redwood City Blessing,

...I have also read about rivers in the Word, ...Gen 2:10, a quick study of their names,

Pison means to disperse and comes from the root word to act proudly, this river is described as going all round, or encircling, in modern King Jamesish, the land of Gold, hmmm, prosperity doctrine? ...coincidence?

Gihon, means a stream, but comes from the root word to gush forth, ...isn't that how the pastor described the movement, ...sweeping over the face of the earth, and it is described as encircling the land of Ethiopia or Cush, Cush is not a Hebrew word, it is from a foreign language and is the name of the people who are the descendents of Canaan who Noah cursed........., ...more coincidence?

Hiddekel or Tigris, as known today, and the Euphrates are both named in one verse, the Hiddekel is also from a foreign language and like the Gihon is not in the language of God's chosen people and notice it is the only river of the four that Scripture records for us it's direction, East, in scripture East is used to show the direction to God, ...even more coincidence?

Euphrates, the name also means to break forth and or rushing, two is used in Scripture for a faithful witness, so twice we are told the rivers burst forth, gush with rapidity, also we know geographically it is the Eastern most river of the four, ...another reference or indication of the direction to God.

There is much more that can be gleaned about these rivers, but I don't want to bore you, this is the point, ...the rivers came forth out of the Garden of God, and in the next verse we read God put the man in the Garden, ....can anyone else see a satanic counterfeit in the rivers coming together again with man (maybe a specific man, AC) as the central figure in their midst?

Or maybe it's just the ramblings of a silly old man, or maybe it's the BBQ beef sandwich I ate!

Blessings my brothers and sisters in Christ,

Gene

Last edited:
I do believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Thanks God I have met prophets and people with the gift of tongues. I know that God spoke to me through them because nobody except God could knew all the secrets of my heart or comfort me even when there seemed to be no hope. However, none of these people who were led by the Holy Ghost rolled on the ground and laughed with no reason. They didn't fall on the floor for half an hour without any reason or purpose.

Of course that we must be respectful towards God and especially towards the Holy Spirit, but we must also be able to discern the spirits.
Well Im glad you know the truth about these things but this I promise you, that these people who have these gifts have had supernatural encounters with the Spirit God in the past. And they very well would tell you about things that seem strange to you and very odd to your natural mind.

1. Yes I am ordained by God and the true Holy Spirit to know and teach the truth.
2. I posted a random video that spoke to the issue of the dead Church, if you have an issue with this fellow? Send him a e-mail.
3. I have used many scriptures on this thread and others in defense of the truth, and what I have used are in there correct and intended context. So not sure why your so upset that folks actually believe the biblical standards and the Power of the Holy Spirit?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm sorry, I said I wasn't going to do this, ...but YOU said it!

You are a minister, ordained by God, to teach His flock, but you present extra-biblical material that you aren't even familiar with to teach here, ...is that what you believe and how you interpret the Divine Mandate for feeding His lambs and sheep? John 21:15, 16

A simple yes or no will suffice. :D

Mods, I'm sorry, this is really my last post in response to Mitspa, I promise.

Gene

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm sorry, I said I wasn't going to do this, ...but YOU said it!

You are a minister, ordained by God, to teach His flock, but you present extra-biblical material that you aren't even familiar with to teach here, ...is that what you believe and how you interpret the Divine Mandate for feeding His lambs and sheep? John 21:15, 16

A simple yes or no will suffice. :D

Mods, I'm sorry, this is really my last post in response to Mitspa, I promise.

Gene
Yes because its true...:D

Concerning slain in the Spirit, this is what the Spirit gave to me this morning while at church(?)

In reference to angelic visitations in the OT, the people being spoken to fell down on their faces and worshiped, also John when he saw Jesus in His glory, ...in Phil 2 we read how Jesus left behind His authority, majesty, glory and power to take on the form of a man, ...this is what the Spirit showed me, if Jesus hadn't relinquished them, then everywhere He walked during His lifetime people would of been falling down, face first, in involuntarily worship of Him because of His Divine Authoritative presence, ...that is why everything Jesus did, miracle, healing, teaching was all done through Him by the power of the Holy Spirit, ...if Jesus is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, then the Holy Spirit that was working, moving through Jesus is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. ...We don't read anywhere in Scripture where people fell backwards when worshiping the Lord by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I've first heard about the rivers coming together when I watched this video for the first time, the rivers, as stated by the proponents of this, are the Pensacola Blessings, the Kansas City Blessing and the Redwood City Blessing,

...I have also read about rivers in the Word, ...Gen 2:10, a quick study of their names,

Pison means to disperse and comes from the root word to act proudly, this river is described as going all round, or encircling, in modern King Jamesish, the land of Gold, hmmm, prosperity doctrine? ...coincidence?

Gihon, means a stream, but comes from the root word to gush forth, ...isn't that how the pastor described the movement, ...sweeping over the face of the earth, and it is described as encircling the land of Ethiopia or Cush, Cush is not a Hebrew word, it is from a foreign language and is the name of the people who are the descendents of Canaan who Noah cursed........., ...more coincidence?

Hiddekel or Tigris, as known today, and the Euphrates are both named in one verse, the Hiddekel is also from a foreign language and like the Gihon is not in the language of God's chosen people and notice it is the only river of the four that Scripture records for us it's direction, East, in scripture East is used to show the direction to God, ...even more coincidence?

Euphrates, the name also means to break forth and or rushing, two is used in Scripture for a faithful witness, so twice we are told the rivers burst forth, gush with rapidity, also we know geographically it is the Eastern most river of the four, ...another reference or indication of the direction to God.

There is much more that can be gleaned about these rivers, but I don't want to bore you, this is the point, ...the rivers came forth out of the Garden of God, and in the next verse we read God put the man in the Garden, ....can anyone else see a satanic counterfeit in the rivers coming together again with man (maybe a specific man, AC) as the central figure in their midst?

Or maybe it's just the ramblings of a silly old man, or maybe it's the BBQ beef sandwich I ate!

Gene

I can think of another river that is even much more important...

Joh 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Notice, "rivers" not river.

Well Im glad you know the truth about these things but this I promise you, that these people who have these gifts have had supernatural encounters with the Spirit God in the past. And they very well would tell you about things that seem strange to you and very odd to your natural mind.

These very sample people were convinced that the "drunkenness in the spirit" and the "rest in the spirit" had absolutely nothing to do with the Holy Ghost.

Gene

What do you mean by "slain in the spirit"? What I call "rest in the spirit" is to fall unconscious for a relatively long period of time. After that period of time the people wake up and they say that they experienced something like peace or relaxation. As far as I know, they lose control of their bodies during this sort of supernatural faint. I am very sure that this "rest in the spirit" has no Biblical basis and no relation whatsoever with the Holy Ghost.The main reason for my belief is the lack of Biblical support, but I could also mention the fact that idolaters have experienced this. Actually, the "rest in the spirit" is very common in Charismatic Catholic circles, among people who reject the Gospel (salvation by faith and through the merits of Christ). If I remember correctly, I knew a Catholic who had had these experiences (rest in the spirit) and when I took this person to my church a sister in Christ, who was a true prophet of God, told me that God showed her that this Catholic person was possessed.

Last edited:
These very sample people were convinced that the "drunkenness in the spirit" and the "rest in the spirit" had absolutely nothing to do with the Holy Ghost.
Well again not sure what you mean by those terms? And my point is still very valid, to power of the Holy Spirit that comes upon folks does not look religious at all and those who say God don't do this and don't do that are often very wrong.

By the way what do you mean by "rest" in the Spirit? That sounds very biblical to me...and the fact that folks thought folks were dunk in Acts 2 is very biblical...so not sure what you mean by these terms...and really not sure that I care, but only trying to reason some with you guys who seem so ready to speak evil against the Spirit of God.

Well again not sure what you mean by those terms? And my point is still very valid, to power of the Holy Spirit that comes upon folks does not look religious at all and those who say God don't do this and don't do that are often very wrong.

By the way what do you mean by "rest" in the Spirit? That sounds very biblical to me...and the fact that folks thought folks were dunk in Acts 2 is very biblical...so not sure what you mean by these terms...and really not sure that I care, but only trying to reason some with you guys who seem so ready to speak evil against the Spirit of God.

"Rest in the spirit" is to lose consciousness for a relatively long period of time. The person who loses consciousness says that he/she experiences peace or relaxation. This is very common among a lot of dubious groups, such as Charismatic Catholics and nearly pagan idolaters of the virgin Mary, who are not exactly Catholic in the strict sense of the word. It is also common in some Evangelical churches. Mostly in the ones which do not have a good testimony.

What do you mean by "slain in the spirit"? What I call "rest in the spirit" is to fall unconscious for a relatively long period of time. After that period of time the people wake up and they say that they experienced something like peace or relaxation. As far as I know, they lose control of their bodies during this sort of supernatural faint. I am very sure that this "rest in the spirit" has no Biblical basis and no relation whatsoever with the Holy Ghost.The main reason for my belief is the lack of Biblical support, but I could also mention the fact that idolaters have experienced this. Actually, the "rest in the spirit" is very common in Charismatic Catholic circles, among people who reject the Gospel (salvation by faith and through the merits of Christ). If I remember correctly, I knew a Catholic who had had these experiences (rest in the spirit) and when I took this person to my church a sister in Christ, who was a true prophet of God, told me that God showed her that this Catholic person was possessed.
ok I see what you are speaking of? Well I have never experienced this but I know many Godly people who have and I have no reason to doubt that God has this power?

Here you have a Catholic webpage explaining what "rest in the spirit is". Please, brothers, don't fall for the pseudo-Biblical interpretation of this phenomena that the Catholic webpage offers. I have seen people who had no clue of what the Gospel is experiencing this kind of phenomena.

http://catholicbooks.net/resting-in-the-spirit/

"Rest in the spirit" is to lose consciousness for a relatively long period of time. The person who loses consciousness says that he/she experiences peace or relaxation. This is very common among a lot of dubious groups, such as Charismatic Catholics and nearly pagan idolaters of the virgin Mary, who are not exactly Catholic in the strict sense of the word. It is also common in some Evangelical churches. Mostly in the ones which do not have a good testimony.
Well again some of you place yourself as judges and try to condemn a whole group by the error of a few in order to make a argument.
The things of God are not "natural" and seem strange to many who are not familiar with these things.

ok I see what you are speaking of? Well I have never experienced this but I know many Godly people who have and I have no reason to doubt that God has this power?

The Bible tells us that the Holy Spirit is a a Spirit of self control (Galatians 5:22-23). In all of these manifestations (rest in the spirit, drunkenness in the spirit, etc.) people lose control of their bodies. Hence, these manifestations are not the work of the Holy Spirit. Moreover, the only people who fell unconscious during Jesus' ministry were those who were demon-possessed.

Well again some of you place yourself as judges and try to condemn a whole group by the error of a few in order to make a argument.
The things of God are not "natural" and seem strange to many who are not familiar with these things.

Brother, the "rest of the spirit" is extremely common in Catholic circles and also among some people that worship Mary statues in the Argentinian mountains (and who are not even Catholics due to their non-orthodox and clearly non-Christian beliefs). Some of these people are not only not Christians, but openly reject the Biblical Christ (i.e., the idol worshipers of the Argentinian mountains).

It seems the Holy Spirit is known as "new wine"

Luk 5:37 And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined.
Luk 5:38 No, new wine must be poured into new wineskins.

Eph 5:18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit,
Eph 5:19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord,

Does anyone think there are similarities between wine in how it affects the natural man and the "new wine" of the Holy Spirit in how it affects rebirth human spirit? It makes no difference what we think, this is what happens to those who are.

Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
Act 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
Act 2:15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
Act 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

1Co 12:13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--Jews or Greeks, slaves or free--and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

Drink up me hearties yo-ho :)

I like to think of it as "I am out of control" and "God is in control"

It seems the Holy Spirit is known as "new wine"

Luk 5:37 And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined.
Luk 5:38 No, new wine must be poured into new wineskins.

Eph 5:18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit,
Eph 5:19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord,

Does anyone think there are similarities between wine in how it affects the natural man and the "new wine" of the Holy Spirit in how it affects rebirth human spirit? It makes no difference what we think, this is what happens to those who are.

Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
Act 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
Act 2:15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
Act 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

1Co 12:13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--Jews or Greeks, slaves or free--and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

Drink up me hearties yo-ho :)

When Jesus met Satan in the desert, what did Satan used to try to deceive Christ? Misinterpreted Scripture. That's the same thing that Satan does today to try to deceive mankind: he uses misinterpreted Scripture. The Holy Spirit has no relation whatsoever with the "drunkenness in the spirit". I have seen some of these "drunk in the spirit" people running like beheaded chickens and laughing for no reason while they roll on the ground. That is clearly NOT the work of the Holy Spirit (see Galatians 5:22-23).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back