Charis Has Been Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course you know that as long as we live on this earth there will always be that problem. Everyone believes that they are right and no one is willing to say.......hey, maybe that is wrong.

I am as guilty as anyone else. Personally I think that if we can be honest, and respectful of others feelings and emotions we can get along and talk about difference between us. It is when someone gets frustrated that they can not convince someone else to leave their opinion and change to some other opinion that those people get angry and then the problem explodes.

Very true. Strange how when it happens, I still act shocked as if it's inconceivable. "What?! People being stubborn?! How?!"

I agree, but the worst are those who in the face of the truth of the scriptures get all upset and become personal about it. The truth is meant to ruffle the feathers, and that is what we are seeing. People trip over that Rock of offense.

Agreed.......but always remember Romans 14:5
"One man esteemeth one day above another, another esteemth every day alike; let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind".

We are all at different levels of understanding and growth. The trick is to not condemn or judge others who do not believe as we do.

"One man esteemeth one day above another, another esteemth every day alike; let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind".

We are all at different levels of understanding and growth. The trick is to not condemn or judge others who do not believe as we do.

Exactly!

It's a great title.
I was reading through some of their stuff. I'm really not opposed to their position against Catholicism. I disagree with it, but I don't mind if they are anti-Catholic. I think my complaint against the forum is that they are attacking elements of Catholicism that even the Church is against and never promoted.
Don't you find this problem to be rampant, though? Misrepresentation of Catholicism is like a disease. And radical fundamentalist websites seem to be the worst for it.

“There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”- Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

May I quote you on that?

Don't you find this problem to be rampant, though? Misrepresentation of Catholicism is like a disease. And radical fundamentalist websites seem to be the worst for it.

“There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”- Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

It is only your opinion, one of a non-Catholic at that, that there is misrepresentation going on. CARM has scholarly members and staffers who actually know the word and produce proof for the understanding that they have. I don't agree with all that CARM produces, but they do the right thing, which is to support their thoughts with scripture.

It is only your opinion, one of a non-Catholic at that, that there is misrepresentation going on. CARM has scholarly members and staffers who actually know the word and produce proof for the understanding that they have. I don't agree with all that CARM produces, but they do the right thing, which is to support their thoughts with scripture.
The very fact that I am no longer Catholic should lend credence to my claim that CARM is not to be taken seriously, not detract from it.

Here's another insidious link from the same site:
http://carm.org/testimonies-ex-roman-catholic-priests

This is a blatant example of the logical fallacy "argument from authority." If these ex-priests are saying it's bad then it must be, right? That is a shady and dishonest tactic. These so-called "scholars" should know better.

The very fact that I am no longer Catholic should lend credence to my claim that CARM is not to be taken seriously, not detract from it.

Here's another insidious link from the same site:
http://carm.org/testimonies-ex-roman-catholic-priests

This is a blatant example of the logical fallacy "argument from authority." If these ex-priests are saying it's bad then it must be, right? That is a shady and dishonest tactic. The website should know better.

That is a very valid and important article.

Then I'd recommend asking yourself why you can't simply be a Christian without challenging others on their own Christianity.

We are called to challenge error when we come across it. As a Christian I appreciate reproof from those who know the word. The word is our authority in spiritual matters. So, for people who do not hold to that authority, we must always take what they say with a grain of salt and always be ready and able to offer the truth of a matter to them.

It's what I do.

You certainly don't appreciate hearing it from people here. So why do you think we appreciate hearing it from you?

No one here is my spiritual authority. However if someone should provide scripture that obviously points out an error I believe, I would appreciate it.

Would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back