The Ten Commandment Are Universal

The belief that we all MUST strive to obey the Ten Commandments carries with it the requirement to keep the Sabbath, which is simply not a requirement upon us today...not even to the Jews.

MM
Reminds me of the story of the preacher who said......."I am going to preach today about Prostitution!
The whole church shouted AMEN brother, preach it!
WHY?.......Because there were NO Prostitutes in the room.

Then the next Sunday he said, " I am going to preach today about Murder"
The whole church shouted, AMEN brother, preach it.
WHY?........Because there were NO Murderers in the room.

Then the 3rd Sunday he said...." I am going to preach o today on LIEING and YOUR TAXES.
The whole church sat there and did not utter a word.
WHY?..........They all cheated on their taxes.

Nevertheless, perfect law-keeping is a pipe dream in our fallen state…

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
There is the opportunity to keep 9, well maybe 8, But that "Thou shalt no LIE" is a real problem isn't it?

Your wife comes out because you are taking here to dinner and asks you....."Honey, does this dress make me look fat"????

Now what man looks at his wife and says........."No sweet heart, you look just like you did on our wedding day!"

Unless maybe his wife was fat when they got married!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Oh, not at all. The Ten Commandments were given to one people, one nation. They mostly reflect the Law of God, which is universal. The Ten Commandments themselves were not commanded universally. Nowhere did the Lord demand of the Gentiles that they all adhere to Sabbath keeping in the Ten Commandments. The Law of God, on the other hand, is what's written in our hearts, as well as the Jews who follow Messiah.

MM
Please explain your term..."what is written in our hearts"....in this point context?
Please show scriptures which say that..... His commandments are not for all peoples?.

Please explain your term..."what is written in our hearts"....in this point context?
Please show scriptures which say that..... His commandments are not for all peoples?.

Very good questions, GP, and they deserve reposting given that this is such an important topic.

Jeremiah 31:33 But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

As an Israelite, this has special meaning to me, but it isn't limited in scope throughout all of time:

Romans 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another...

I encourage everyone to read those verses in their context, and they will see that they say what they say here.

When it comes to the Mosaic Law not applying to the Gentile, here is but one example:

Deuteronomy 14:21 Ye shall not eat [of] any thing that dieth of itself: thou shalt give it unto the stranger that [is] in thy gates, that he may eat it; or thou mayest sell it unto an alien: for thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

The Mosaic Law, which countless times is clearly speaking to Israel by the constant, never ending reference to "thou," or "you," depending on which translation you use, clearly is the Lord speaking to a specific people, and laying down the requirements for obedience:

Exodus 20:1-2
1 And God spake all these words, saying,
2 I [am] the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

The Lord didn't bring Gentiles out of Egypt, although there were some Gentiles among them.

Also, given that the Lord was speaking specifically to the nation Israel concerning His Law, He also states the purpose for the Mosaic Law, which gives ample indication for whom it was given and with whom the covenant of obedience and blessing was given:

Exodus 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth [is] mine:

That promise was offered to no other nation, but only to Israel.

Does that help?

Now, Torah-ism has become a powerful movement among many Gentile denominations, including Messianic Jewish groups. They believe that the return to obedience to Torah is what God expects of all followers of Christ today. Every one of their apologetics can be shown for the flaws within them, leaving the researchers to their own devices if they do not seek the Spirit for His direction, as stated in 1 John 2:27.

Here is a great man who teaches more in-depth about this topic:

MM

Very good questions, GP, and they deserve reposting given that this is such an important topic.

Jeremiah 31:33 But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

As an Israelite, this has special meaning to me, but it isn't limited in scope throughout all of time:

Romans 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another...

I encourage everyone to read those verses in their context, and they will see that they say what they say here.

When it comes to the Mosaic Law not applying to the Gentile, here is but one example:

Deuteronomy 14:21 Ye shall not eat [of] any thing that dieth of itself: thou shalt give it unto the stranger that [is] in thy gates, that he may eat it; or thou mayest sell it unto an alien: for thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

The Mosaic Law, which countless times is clearly speaking to Israel by the constant, never ending reference to "thou," or "you," depending on which translation you use, clearly is the Lord speaking to a specific people, and laying down the requirements for obedience:

2 I [am] the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

The Lord didn't bring Gentiles out of Egypt, although there were some Gentiles among them.

Also, given that the Lord was speaking specifically to the nation Israel concerning His Law, He also states the purpose for the Mosaic Law, which gives ample indication for whom it was given and with whom the covenant of obedience and blessing was given:

Exodus 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth [is] mine:

Does that help?

Now, Torah-ism has become a powerful movement among many Gentile denominations, including Messianic Jewish groups. They believe that the return to obedience to Torah is what God expects of all followers of Christ today. Every one of their apologetics can be shown for the flaws within them, leaving the researchers to their own devices if they do not seek the Spirit for His direction, as stated in 1 John 2:27.

MM
Agreed!

Does that help?

MM
1 John 5:9a If we receive the witness of men (HRM) the witness of God is greater (Book of Galatians)...

Back