The Rising of Babylon

I find it interesting that it was "in the days" of Peleg the earth was divided. So a half or quarter inch a year would hardly be 10ft during Peleg's lifetime.

Genesis 10:25 NKJV
To Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided; and his brother's name was Joktan.
That is exactly my point. The speed of continental drift needed to move land masses to their present position in 1000 years of less is simply impossible.

Well, I did some more research last night, comparing the Jewish labeling of years from the fall-forward, and the Christian labeling of years from Christ-backward. Both seem to collaborate that Peleg was born a few years after the confusing of languages at the Tower of Babel. So, if we assume those people milled around aimlessly, taking years to figure out that they were no longer a united people on account of language barriers, then it could mean that he saw that dispersion of all those people.

What is also something I observed is the language of that verse in Genesis 10:

Genesis 10:25 To Eber were born two sons: the name of one [was] Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided; and his brother's name [was] Joktan.

Observing the phraseology, it appears that it's an action upon some thing or some one that is identified. Is it on, or the other, or both? There's lots of debate over the meaning.

What's of greater interest to me right now is the massive earthquakes that will take place in the latter part of the Tribulation. Could that be the result of the continents sliding back together to better facilitate the nations of the earth being able to attend the Feast of Tabernacles in the Millennial Kingdom... I don't assume that they will be flying jets and navigating ships to shuffle the people's from the nations over to Jerusalem for them to attend that feast. It's interesting to look into that...at least, for me.

So, the destruction of Babylon is yet future since we can all agree that the rebuilding with the ancient stones is taking place, thus showing to us that the prophecy against Babylon is yet to to be fulfilled. It appears that we all agree with that, if nothing else.

MM
You said...........
"What's of greater interest to me right now is the massive earthquakes that will take place in the latter part of the Tribulation. Could that be the result of the continents sliding back together to better facilitate the nations of the earth being able to attend the Feast of Tabernacles in the Millennial Kingdom..".

I guess anything is possible. However I personally do not think that could happen. The amount of time between the 2nd Coming and the Millennial Kingdom is almost instantaneous.

You said...........
"What's of greater interest to me right now is the massive earthquakes that will take place in the latter part of the Tribulation. Could that be the result of the continents sliding back together to better facilitate the nations of the earth being able to attend the Feast of Tabernacles in the Millennial Kingdom..".

I guess anything is possible. However I personally do not think that could happen. The amount of time between the 2nd Coming and the Millennial Kingdom is almost instantaneous.

Well, not really. The massive earthquakes that cause the islands to sink beneath the waves will be some time before He returns.

MM

Yes indeed. What you brought up here draws me back to the restrainer being removed. I've heard so many times from a Southern Baptist friend of mine that nobody will be able to be saved in the Tribulation since Holy Spirit will have been removed from the earth. Hmm. Something just doesn't register in my mind about that...meaning that it leads to a question as to how it's possible that an omnipresent Lord can not be on this earth at that time? That would render the Lord to be NOT omnipresent, would it not? I'm just musing out loud, so to speak.

So, I'm forced to disagree with my friend in the strongest sense, because Revelation clearly shows to us that there will be an innumerable mass of saints standing before the Throne who came from the Tribulation, and who are therefore arrayed in white robes and palm branches, but no crowns, as has those of the Church and the ancients before the cross. The glaring distinction between the two groupings of people speaks for itself...

Therefore, the fall of Babylon, never to arise again, is but one major piece of the overall panorama that legitimizes the Bible that much further beyond question.

Amen.

MM
Your Southern Baptist friend in misinformed.

He is basing his comment on 2 Thess. 2:7.....
"For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way".

If we look at those verses carefully, and literally, we see that the Bible does not say that the Holy Spirit will be removed from the earth. It only states that He will be taken out of the way – in other words, he will no longer restrain the Wicked, who is the Antichrist. Therefore there is no reason to believe that the Holy Spirit will not be present on Earth after the rapture. That would be going beyond what the Bible says and entering into error.

so then, People will be saved during the tribulation the same way they have always been saved – through the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

One of the heavenly beings present (an elder) came to John and asked him:......
"Who are these, clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?" (v. 13).

John responded that he didn't know, so the elder told him......
"These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb" (v. 14).

That is exactly my point. The speed of continental drift needed to move land masses to their present position in 1000 years of less is simply impossible.
What if God moved the continents during the flood while they were submerged? Such a case might explain why no archeological evidence of pre-flood civilization has been found. One thing we do know: the continents were moved. No other explanation can serve for why the Appalachian Mountains are present on three different continents today (North America, Europe, and Africa).

What if God moved the continents during the flood while they were submerged? Such a case might explain why no archeological evidence of pre-flood civilization has been found. One thing we do know: the continents were moved. No other explanation can serve for why the Appalachian Mountains are present on three different continents today (North America, Europe, and Africa).

It may well have been. I have no idea.

What I do know is that there is NO Bible evidence of such an event. I am not saying it did not happen, only that we can not use Scripture to prove it.

I agree totally with ............"One thing we do know: the continents were moved."

There several evidences of continental drift.................
  1. The continents can be fitted together like a jigsaw puzzle. Just look at a globe!
  2. Rock records show matching layers, mountain ranges, and ancient basement rocks in continents that were once together.
  3. Glacial striations (scratches) and erratics (rocks moved away by glacial ice from original bedrock) correspond between continents.
  4. Alternating patterns of magnetic anomalies on the ocean floor indicate seafloor spreading, where new plate material is born.
  5. GPS data shows clear patterns of tectonic drift over time.
It comes back to the original questions.............
"Did that happen in the 1st few days/years of creation, or was it over millions of years."

IF it happened over the 1st few years of creation, it would have caused massive chaos and climate disturbances as well as devastation.

Impossible, assuming 'the land was divided' refers to continental drift.
However...........If we are talking about the Genesis 10 referrence, IMHO it does not refer to that so the point is mute. Context demands that it is more likely referring to the human population of the Earth.

Back