The Rising of Babylon

Given that Revelation tells us that ALL sea life will be wiped out, I wonder if all that life will be restored going into the Millennium... I get the impression that such a massive earthquake will be the result of the continents being pushed back together into what was called Pangea before the flood, which is the point at which the continents began to drift apart to the places where they are now.

So, anyway, Babylon will likely be wiped out by a nuke of whatever size it would take to make the area desolate, and never rebuilt again by any stretch of the imagination.

MM
MM......do you realize what you just said???

You just accepted the Old Earth theology!

Pangea has been shown by geology, and archeology to be the Super Continent that existed some 299 million to about 273 million years ago. According to the rocks, and skeltons found, as well as computer genterations show that The supercontinent began to break apart about 200 million years ago, during the Early Jurisic Period of 201 million to 174 million years ago.

MM......do you realize what you just said???

You just accepted the Old Earth theology!

Pangea has been shown by geology, and archeology to be the Super Continent that existed some 299 million to about 273 million years ago. According to the rocks, and skeltons found, as well as computer genterations show that The supercontinent began to break apart about 200 million years ago, during the Early Jurisic Period of 201 million to 174 million years ago.

No sir. Wrong. Untrue. Falsehood.

Peleg was an ancient writer who was living a short time after the flood, and he wrote about the drift of the continents in his lifetime...enough drift that it was noticeable to the people of that time. Assuming that it took millions of years for that drift to take place is a known error, given historic writings.

MM

No sir. Wrong. Untrue. Falsehood.

Peleg was an ancient writer who was living a short time after the flood, and he wrote about the drift of the continents in his lifetime...enough drift that it was noticeable to the people of that time. Assuming that it took millions of years for that drift to take place is a known error, given historic writings.

MM
Granted.

Continents drift apart by "1" inch a year. Proven by satellite and lazar calculations. At that rate,
due to continental drift, Africa and South America are moving away from each other at a rate of 4 centimeters per year or 1 inch.

The two coasts are currently separated by 5,000 km.

A constant is.........distance/rate = time

5000 km = 500,000,000 cm (1 km = 100,000 cm)

Time = 500,000,000 cm ÷ 4 cm/year

= 125,000,000 years

In millions it will be 125 million years.

Something to consider!

Granted.

Continents drift apart by "1" inch a year. Proven by satellite and lazar calculations. At that rate,
due to continental drift, Africa and South America are moving away from each other at a rate of 4 centimeters per year or 1 inch.

The two coasts are currently separated by 5,000 km.

A constant is.........distance/rate = time

5000 km = 500,000,000 cm (1 km = 100,000 cm)

Time = 500,000,000 cm ÷ 4 cm/year

= 125,000,000 years

In millions it will be 125 million years.

Something to consider!

The problem with your data is that you are assuming the rate was constant rather than accelerated at the time of Peleg. You see, Peleg didn't have the laser technology back them to measure such small, minute movements like today. The rate of separation was so pronounced back then that the ancients could see it happening real time, which would mean feet per minute, or somewhere in that range.

MM

The problem with your data is that you are assuming the rate was constant rather than accelerated at the time of Peleg. You see, Peleg didn't have the laser technology back them to measure such small, minute movements like today. The rate of separation was so pronounced back then that the ancients could see it happening real time, which would mean feet per minute, or somewhere in that range.

MM
With all due respect MM.....what I was using was Mathematics and what you are saying is called "Rationalizing".

There is NO way that the separation of continents was able to be seen in feet per minute. In fact it would have to have been "miles" per minute for such a large separation to have taken place.

IF it was a fast separation as you state, do you realize what that would have done? The tidal waves and earthquakes would have torn the earth apart.

The division spoken of in Gen: 10:25 about Peleg is the division of the people by their languages, other verses in chapter 10 make this division clear. It may be possible that such a division of the continents is what caused the flood in Noah's time.

The division spoken of in Gen: 10:25 about Peleg is the division of the people by their languages, other verses in chapter 10 make this division clear. It may be possible that such a division of the continents is what caused the flood in Noah's time.

Yes, I have heard of there being historic writings featuring Peleg's observations of continental drift that are outside the Bible. I have only heard of his writings from scholars, but never seen the actual writings myself.

MM

The False Prophet has two offices - Economic and religious. He has the power over who `buys and sells` plus getting people to worship the A/C. (Rev. 13: 11 - 18)

I find it interesting that it was "in the days" of Peleg the earth was divided. So a half or quarter inch a year would hardly be 10ft during Peleg's lifetime.

Genesis 10:25 NKJV
To Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided; and his brother's name was Joktan.

I find it interesting that it was "in the days" of Peleg the earth was divided. So a half or quarter inch a year would hardly be 10ft during Peleg's lifetime.

Genesis 10:25 NKJV
To Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided; and his brother's name was Joktan.

Again, we cannot assume that the Lord had the continents divide that slowly back then.

Also, the idea that Genesis 10:25 refers to the nations (peoples) dividing, I'm trying to find if Peleg was actually alive at the time when the people's under the shadow of the tower of Babel were divided on the basis of their confused languages. Scholarship is divided over whether there was once a singular continent since they all seem to fit together like a puzzle.

Anyway...still looking since this all was a loooong time ago when I first encountered it.

MM

That was my point (as I ascribe to YEC), also are we assuming that 'the earth was divided', is referring to the shifting plates?

Well, I did some more research last night, comparing the Jewish labeling of years from the fall-forward, and the Christian labeling of years from Christ-backward. Both seem to collaborate that Peleg was born a few years after the confusing of languages at the Tower of Babel. So, if we assume those people milled around aimlessly, taking years to figure out that they were no longer a united people on account of language barriers, then it could mean that he saw that dispersion of all those people.

What is also something I observed is the language of that verse in Genesis 10:

Genesis 10:25 To Eber were born two sons: the name of one [was] Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided; and his brother's name [was] Joktan.

Observing the phraseology, it appears that it's an action upon some thing or some one that is identified. Is it on, or the other, or both? There's lots of debate over the meaning.

What's of greater interest to me right now is the massive earthquakes that will take place in the latter part of the Tribulation. Could that be the result of the continents sliding back together to better facilitate the nations of the earth being able to attend the Feast of Tabernacles in the Millennial Kingdom... I don't assume that they will be flying jets and navigating ships to shuffle the people's from the nations over to Jerusalem for them to attend that feast. It's interesting to look into that...at least, for me.

So, the destruction of Babylon is yet future since we can all agree that the rebuilding with the ancient stones is taking place, thus showing to us that the prophecy against Babylon is yet to to be fulfilled. It appears that we all agree with that, if nothing else.

MM

The False Prophet has two offices - Economic and religious. He has the power over who `buys and sells` plus getting people to worship the A/C. (Rev. 13: 11 - 18)

Yes indeed. What you brought up here draws me back to the restrainer being removed. I've heard so many times from a Southern Baptist friend of mine that nobody will be able to be saved in the Tribulation since Holy Spirit will have been removed from the earth. Hmm. Something just doesn't register in my mind about that...meaning that it leads to a question as to how it's possible that an omnipresent Lord can not be on this earth at that time? That would render the Lord to be NOT omnipresent, would it not? I'm just musing out loud, so to speak.

So, I'm forced to disagree with my friend in the strongest sense, because Revelation clearly shows to us that there will be an innumerable mass of saints standing before the Throne who came from the Tribulation, and who are therefore arrayed in white robes and palm branches, but no crowns, as has those of the Church and the ancients before the cross. The glaring distinction between the two groupings of people speaks for itself...

Therefore, the fall of Babylon, never to arise again, is but one major piece of the overall panorama that legitimizes the Bible that much further beyond question.

Amen.

MM

Genesis 10:25 most likely does not refer to the Earth’s continental divisions (see, for example: Leupold, 1950, 1:378; Whitelaw, 1950, 1:161; Clarke, n.d., 1:87; Keil and Delitzsch, 1976, 1:171). Rather, it is more likely referring to the human population of the Earth. Contextual indicators point to this latter conclusion.

Source........https://apologeticspress.org/peleg-pangaea-and-genesis-1025-4636/

Back