Questions

Hi, doesn't look like anyone has answered your original question of how we are born again?

First we must realize what must be "born again," way back in the Garden God told Adam if he ate of the forbidden tree he would die, but then we read he lived 930 years, so what died? It was his spirit that died, that part of us where we commune with God, his soul and flesh continued to live on after he sinned. Fast forward to where Jesus told Nicodemus he had to be born again to see and enter into the King of God, Jesus answered his question by saying we must be born again by the Spirit and water. Peter in his first epistle explains how that is accomplished, we are born again by incorruptible seed and the word of God, 1:23. Now, we are adult here so we will talk in adult terms, we were conceived in our mother's womb when our father's sperm entered into our mother's ovum and a new life commenced at that instant. There is much debate in theological circles as to what the "water" is Jesus was referring to, however "water" in the Bible is used as a type for the Word of God, so that explanition seems the most plausible. then what Peter was saying is we were born again by the sperm of the Holy Spirit uniting with the Word of God at a particular moment in our lives. Then Peter gives his testimony of what verse the Lord used in his life in the next verse where he quotes Is 40:6-8 and the tells us this is how we receive the gospel. Next we can look at when this moment happened when we read in Luke 5:8 where Peter's eyes were opened to reveal his sinfulness, since this was a transitional period he wasn't born again because Jesus hadn't died and ressurected, however after he did we read he blew on his disciples and said receive the Holy Spirit.

So let's put it all together, when we are born again our father, so to speak, is the Holy Spirit and our mother, so to speak, is the verse God used to open our eyes to reveal our need of salvation, the gospel is presented and it is then our chioce to receive Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord or to reject the offer. Now, just as most of us know who our father and mother are, we, as born again children of God, will know our Father and the verse used to call us into the Kingdom, also most everyone knows what day they were born and we too, as children of God, will know when we were born again, the day we changed directions, called repentance in the Bible, we were walking in our sin accomplishing the desires of our flesh and then we turned the opposite direction, because our father is the Holy Spirit, and now walk in holiness.

Now, Paul tells us to make our election and calling sure, because there is a faith that is vain, ...I say this in all meekness and love, not wanting to cause doubt, but do you know the verse used by the Holy Spirit to convict you of your sinfulness and need of salvation and when were you born again?

I know this kind of teaching is not popular in the seeker friendly churches of today, but the love of Christ constrains us to ask this question in the face of the multitulde of false teachings concerning baptisimal regeneration being propagated.

Gene

I am planning on being baptized on the 20th, but would prefer to do it sooner. I go to two churches, one that I attend more frequently, but am planning on getting baptized at the one I attend less. Does it matter who baptizes me and at which church? I'm reading that it does matter which church you get baptized in. I don't like this idea...shouldn't all that matters is that you be obedient to Christ with a public baptismal?

While it doesn't matter between you and God, it may hurt the feelings of the churches you attend.
If you go through baptism at one church, they might expect you to join their membership officially.
The two churches I go to have thousands upon thousands of attendees....I am just a small rock in the ocean.

Paul noted that he was grateful that so few could make a claim to have been Baptized by him so that none could say they were Baptized in his name. There are some denominations that do not recognize Baptism from others, but I seriously doubt God is so legalistic that He cares to follow such rules. If He is, the Jesus was way too hard on the Pharisees.

I will also add, if you are concerned, I do not see any harm in just doing it at both church. It won't make any real difference in a Spiritual sense, but it can be affirming to both of your church families.

For some churches, it is linked to membership in their church or denomination, so for them it would matter if you were baptised "outside". A more legitimate concern, IMHO, would be how the baptism was conducted and what the person being baptised understood it to mean for them. Some would want the baptism to conform to certain doctrinal standards, which is understandable, and would be suspicious of any baptism performed outside of their tradition. For some it is a legalistic issue and for others it is a concern that it be a truly Spiritual experience. The letter vs. the Spirit, in other words.

Personally, if the person being baptised has a proper understanding of what they are doing, and whoever officiates does also, I don't care where they were baptised. My hope in any case is that it would be a joyous occasion.

Personally, if the person being baptised has a proper understanding of what they are doing, and whoever officiates does also, I don't care where they were baptised. My hope in any case is that it would be a joyous occasion.

Could you provide me with an example as to how someone wouldn't know what they're doing?

I'd hate to think that you were referring to me... and im not all assuming, but if you are, I appreciate honesty, so please explain:)

Could you provide me with an example as to how someone wouldn't know what they're doing?

I'd hate to think that you were referring to me... and im not all assuming, but if you are, I appreciate honesty, so please explain:)

Do you understand the symbolic nature of water baptism and why we do it?

There are those who become baptised because it is a common ritual in their fellowship, for instance. Their understanding of it would essentially be that they were being baptised into their church or denomination, rather than understanding it as a witness and testimony to their salvation in Christ, their identification with His death, burial, and resurrection. And, no, I was not referring to you. :) Just speaking in general to your reading about how it matters to many churches where a person is baptised. I can understand why any given church would want to baptise you themselves, so they can be sure that you receive proper instruction. Most would want to make sure you are saved (according to their understanding of what that entails) before they baptise you as well, sort of a I Tim. 5:22 idea.

I'm not aware of the chronicling of any such practice of discrimination within the fledgling Church.
Heb 6:1 Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
Heb 6:2 and of instruction about washings, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.
Heb 6:3 And this we will do if God permits.
Tink, you are about to be baptized, prepare yourself to move on with the Lord. Once you are Baptized and you find any Church fellowship who do not accept that baptism, have nothing to do with them. When you are baptized, you are baptized into the Lord's death and also His resurrection. Now anyone who says that is not good enough...have nothing to do with them. What is it they are really rejecting? A tub of water? No they would be rejecting your salvation.....on whose authority do they presume such?
There is only one Church. I'll say it again, there is only one Church. That Church is the body of Christ. That is the Church which in your heart, you should be being baptized into. If a person is baptized into a local congregation, or into some specific denomination, then that is all their baptism is worth.........not a cracker. But you my beloved sister are seeking baptism into the Church which is of God. My only regret is that I can't physically be there.

Do you understand the symbolic nature of water baptism and why we do it?
Of course! Obediance...it's not needed for salvation. I was literally months away from baptism as a Jehovah's Witness until I realized something was terribly wrong and left the "Truth". Since a young age I have always cried out to Jehovah and now I understand (much more so) the significance of Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I came on this site Jan 2nd as a saved/born again. My saved date is July 1st 2012. Sure, I had said the prayer before, but this date was a turning point. During my fast so many things came clear to me and I decided I need to fully devote my life to Christ. Since September of last year I suddenly, for the first time (since my JW days), felt a calling/desire-however you want to see it-:) to get baptised. That calling has especially grown the past few months. I simply feel that it's what God is advising me to do and the next chapter, so to speak, in my walk with Christ.

I know it's not something to take lightly, which is why I wanted some clarification first (thank you all!!), but I feel I'm ready. I'm nervous and excited.

Of course! Obediance...it's not needed for salvation. I was literally months away from baptism as a Jehovah's Witness until I realized something was terribly wrong and left the "Truth". Since a young age I have always cried out to Jehovah and now I understand (much more so) the significance of Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I came on this site Jan 2nd as a saved/born again. My saved date is July 1st 2012. Sure, I had said the prayer before, but this date was a turning point. During my fast so many things came clear to me and I decided I need to fully devote my life to Christ. Since September of last year I suddenly, for the first time (since my JW days), felt a calling/desire-however you want to see it-:) to get baptised. That calling has especially grown the past few months. I simply feel that it's what God is advising me to do and the next chapter, so to speak, in my walk with Christ.

Hi , Lifeasweknowit! great to read your personal testimony there.

Yes, Acts 2:41-42 tells of what the early believers did, and this is what followers of the Lord Jesus today can do, too.

Blessings.

Hi , Lifeasweknowit! great to read your personal testimony there.

Yes, Acts 2:41-42 tells of what the early believers did, and this is what followers of the Lord Jesus today can do, too.

Blessings.
Thank you farouk, there's definitely more to my testimony, I turned to Jesus when he literally saved me at a time I had completely turned away from God. Since that day in 2007, I've been seeking and seeking...and what a journey it has been! Blessings to you as well!

Back