Questions

Many Churches use a built-in Baptistry that needs to be filled up each time there is to be a baptism. Depending on the temperature, it might need heating as well. In that case the Church's governing body may well see a stewardship issue in the expense of filling, refilling and heating, reheating ....for health reasons they can't just leave a pool of stagnant water lying around. That is just an example of suburban type issues. Some Churches also like to run 'confirmation classes to make sure the baptism candidate is seeking baptism for the right reasons.

Many Churches use a built-in Baptistry that needs to be filled up each time there is to be a baptism. Depending on the temperature, it might need heating as well. In that case the Church's governing body may well see a stewardship issue in the expense of filling, refilling and heating, reheating ....for health reasons they can't just leave a pool of stagnant water lying around. That is just an example of suburban type issues. Some Churches also like to run 'confirmation classes to make sure the baptism candidate is seeking baptism for the right reasons.

The churches out here, from what I can see, do the baptisms at the beach or at a lake.

Would that require a special service that needs to be planned for? What about getting permission from local government authorities?

How far is North Valley Baptist from you Tink? http://www.nvbc.org/

Our Pastor is from out that way, I am sure he knows of a good Church near you.

I think Major's point is that a 'Pastor' is supposed to be a shepherd for the people, helping take care of the indivdual spiritual needs of the children of God-not a 'Preacher' who expounds the Word and that's pretty much it. Anyone can be a "Preacher", Pastors tend their flock...

Well not anyone can be, or at least should be a pastor. At the local baptist church here, there is a 'senior's /seniors' pastor. He cam a visiting while I was at work.....about 3/4 years ago. I haven't seen or heard from him since. Good thing I don't need him(n)
Up here in the land of OZ, pastors are not by and large 'people persons'; nor are they trained as such.

Well, my friends. It appears as though they will do a private baptism for me :) I have called the lady and once she gets back to me next week, I will be able to set something up. This is not the same church where the pastor needs "an appointment" to speak to me.

How far is North Valley Baptist from you Tink? http://www.nvbc.org/

Our Pastor is from out that way, I am sure he knows of a good Church near you.

I think Major's point is that a 'Pastor' is supposed to be a shepherd for the people, helping take care of the indivdual spiritual needs of the children of God-not a 'Preacher' who expounds the Word and that's pretty much it. Anyone can be a "Preacher", Pastors tend their flock...

I agree, I do understand what they mean when they say he can't talk to 10, 000. That's why he has a lot of assistants after. It's a great church and he's brought a lot of people close to the lord (my mom and myself included) so it's tough to look at him that way.

I'll reach out to your pastor :)

Tink as far as I know, when Philip baptized the Ethiopian eunuch Acts 8:26-40, there was no crowd of witnesses. I guess that made it a private affair. I do not believe there is any Biblical mandate or even condoning of any kind to baptize oneself.
Since baptism is not prerequisite for salvation, I'm curious as to why you seem to be in such a hurry. I hope you are not interested in privacy because of embarrassment or shyness that you think might accompany public baptism.
I wouldn't mind if you can explain your thinking here.
I'm thinking back to your post #109, #111 and getting a bit confused.

Hi Calv, I'm not necessarily requesting a private baptism, but it would have to be due to circumstances. Otherwise, I would have to wait until summer. Sorry for the confusion, but thank you for the clarity :)

So, I'm wondering how many have scanned my avitar to see what is encoded within?
afterall, the thread topic is Questions :)

Tink as far as I know, when Philip baptized the Ethiopian eunuch Acts 8:26-40, there was no crowd of witnesses. I guess that made it a private affair. I do not believe there is any Biblical mandate or even condoning of any kind to baptize oneself.
Since baptism is not prerequisite for salvation, I'm curious as to why you seem to be in such a hurry. I hope you are not interested in privacy because of embarrassment or shyness that you think might accompany public baptism.

I just feel a calling to do it...I think I mentioned that a few times and in the OP. There is no necessity for a private baptism, but I don't want to wait until summer. Also, I don't think it's a private baptism, per se, it just wont be done with hundreds of people as it would have over the summer. Again, It's hard to explain why I don't to wait, but when I spoke to a few people at the church they seemed to immediately understand where I was coming from and I was not questioned at whatsoever (not to say you are). In fact quite the opposite; one even said "If you feeling a calling to do this now...do it!"

It is difficult explaining in detail over the net. I believe God is calling me to get baptized, because it's the next step. I have given up so many things for him. My one thing holding me back is my ED when I mentioned when I very first began on this site. Although it is getting somewhat better, it is still there everyday. I just feel taking this next step is the right thing to do. I can sit here and try to explain how I feel God is calling me to do something, but I would prefer to keep that conversation between Him and I, because I don't want to get judged on here. Again, not by you in particular, but I can see how long time believers would question a newbie like myself.

One of my friends from my college days felt convicted about baptism after a Bible study, so he had his pastor baptise him in his bathtub that same night.:)

OK, so I went back and these are the two posts

#109: I wish I didn't have to wait to get baptized. Seems like they do it at certain times.
I thought, initially, that I would have to wait to get baptized anywhere since it seemed as thought they were held on certain days. Since I've never been baptized, nor inquired about it, I made the inaccurate assumption that I would have to wait.

#111: Where can you get baptized any time?
Dirty mentioned contacting his pastor, which sparked me to contact someone in my local church when I went to service this past Saturday. This is when one of the senior pastors mentioned that I could set up a "private baptism." He then asked if I, or anyone else, has a pool that we could use. I told him no, which is when he suggested a beach we have here (which I won't mention for security purposes ;)). I assume, based on the context of our conversation on Saturday, that "private baptism" means not doing it with others around. I'm definitely not shy and would actually welcome doing it with people around, but I would prefer to do it sooner than later...

Back