Questions

Oh and to everyone who has recommended fellowship (I know you've mentioned this a TON, Dirty:)) the churches really stressed this to me today, as well. Unfortunately, they all said that I should fellowship and get off Christian forum sites.

My mom is Catholic and recently told me that she doesn't think she needs to be born again because she feels she was always saved since an infant. I told her that in our life once we realize that we are sinners and separated from God because of it, we must receive the gift of salvation by changing our views on how we get to Heaven and ask Jesus into our lives. Telling Him that we have sinned and want Him as our Savior to direct us for the rest of our life. I've asked her to profess that she has done this but she say's that she doesn't feel that's her thing. I believe she is relying on sacraments of her religion to save her. (i.e. Baptism,Confirmation, the Eucharist,Penance) Is she saved? I would hate to just take it for granted that she is and find out that she's not.

Has she accepted Jesus Christ as her savior and believed he died on the cross for her sins? Has she asked for forgiveness and repented of her sense? If not, the scriptures say she is not saved. And that is my opinion.

I'm confused. ..so do you believe what my church says sbout it being "Jesus' command"? If you could read what I put from their site (the one above where you quoted, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to find a place with correct teachings.
I called and they said he is a "teaching pastor" and that he can't talk to 10,000 people after every service.

Find a church where the pastor CAN talk to you!!!!

Today!

Well said Tink.

@ berk60, accepting Christ is not about a religion- it is a personal choice. If Glomung is around, he could help with the 'Catholic angle'. I am sure many "Catholics" are saved, but not all that follow the religion are saved-but this statement could be applied to ALL christian denominations as well. (Not picking on Catholics here.....)

The thing is; pride keeps many away from the truth of Christ. He is available to ALL. The Best thing you can do is use the Bible when talking to your mom. Try using the "Romans Road" right out of an open Bible. Using scripture may have an effect....

God left this note for you:

...God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them... And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. ...Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I am the way, the truth and the life.

Love
Jesus the Christ-Son of the Living God

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.But God commandeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

With Love,
Paul-Apostle to the Gentiles

@ Tink- I think you know my stance well enough on baptism by now; let me summarize by thinking.

1: Salvation is for ALL who accept it.
2: Baptism is one of the first steps a 'new' Christian should take to publicly display their love and willingness to follow Christ.
3: Baptism won't keep you from sinning-but it is a blessing that God will Honor.

Does that mean God won't use you or bless you without Baptism? My personal opinion is that scripture supports 'full immersion water baptism as a public display'. You don't need me to tell you-read the scriptures. Water baptisms happened before AND after the resurrection AND after the Pentecost. So ask yourself this question- when did water baptism become void?

The disciples did it, Paul did it, Jesus did it. John the Baptist said 'I need to be baptized by you' when Jesus came to the water. It is symbolic to the death-burial-and resurrection of Christ and your Faith in what Christ did for YOU!

People tend to get hung up on terminology. What you would call being "born again", i.e. a public expression of personal faith, is pretty much the same as what we call "confirmation". We're just a bit more structured in how we go about things. Converts, particularly those who have not had infant baptism (or valid baptism), are baptised (though we don't dunk'em usually).

If a faithful Catholic follows the Sacraments it is because that person puts their faith in Jesus Christ and accepts the Sacraments as part of His doctrine. Just as with any Protestant, if the person is "just going through the motions" and has no faith, they are damned in their disbeleif whether they follow Sacraments or not.

As far as whether a Catholic knows that Christ died for our sins, we don't have the Stations of the Cross in every church because it makes for nice art, you're supposed to meditate on His sufferings and what He has done for us.

Has she accepted Jesus Christ as her savior and believed he died on the cross for her sins? Has she asked for forgiveness and repented of her sense? If not, the scriptures say she is not saved. And that is my opinion.
That's a tough question to answer. She believes her original sin wash taken care of when she was baptized as an infant. She goes to a communal confession twice a year for the absolution of sin twice a year. She says she knows that Jesus died on the cross for her sins. (not sure if this is just head knowledge or heart knowledge also). She believes that she might need to go to purgatory after she dies to get purified to be acceptable in front of a Holy God. She prays to Mary to intercede for her because she doesn't feel worthy enough to do it herself. That's kind of a touchy subject with her.
So I don't know if you can call this true salvation or will she be one who thought she was saved only to her, "away from me I never knew you".

DRS is correct and Glomung as our resident Catholic believer would be the best to answer your question.

I will say this, it is Jesus and ONLY Jesus Christ who saves and Glomung will agree with that.

Tink, I want you to remember that elderly Catholic believers have a conflict on this as they grow older. Most likly their mom and dad and grandparents were Catholic as it tends to be a family tradition more than a convicted choice.

Now, at an advanced age, to leave the Catholic church or to come right out and reject its teaching to accept Protestant theology means that they are then questioning the salvation of their past loved ones and that is just an impossible thing for an elderly person to do. Focus on the work of the Lord Jesus and ONLY Jesus and less about Catholic doctrine, what they think about Him and allow the Holy Spirit to do His work in their life.

Remember, WE, you and I do not save antone. It is all the work of the Holy Spirit as He convicts of sin and points the sinner to Christ. All we do is tell the story of the gospel. We are story tellers!

@ Tink- I think you know my stance well enough on baptism by now; let me summarize by thinking.

1: Salvation is for ALL who accept it.
2: Baptism is one of the first steps a 'new' Christian should take to publicly display their love and willingness to follow Christ.
3: Baptism won't keep you from sinning-but it is a blessing that God will Honor.

Does that mean God won't use you or bless you without Baptism? My personal opinion is that scripture supports 'full immersion water baptism as a public display'. You don't need me to tell you-read the scriptures. Water baptisms happened before AND after the resurrection AND after the Pentecost. So ask yourself this question- when did water baptism become void?

The disciples did it, Paul did it, Jesus did it. John the Baptist said 'I need to be baptized by you' when Jesus came to the water. It is symbolic to the death-burial-and resurrection of Christ and your Faith in what Christ did for YOU!

While I do agree with you DRS, you must also know that water baptism does not save you and is not part of salvation.

I have personally lead many elderly people in nursing homes to the Lord Jesus and because of their health it was impossible to fully immerse them but I can assure you that they were just as saved as I am.

I have lead many young men to Christ who were in jail. There is no way in the world a prison will aloow anyone a day off to go to the river to be baptized but those men were saved because of their faith in Christ not how deep the water was in the river.

I have no idea how many men have been saved on the battle field with no way to be baptized and then were killed in battle. They were 100% saved because of their faith in the Lord Jesus and not because of there head being wet but because their heart was broken over their sin when they realized that Jesus died FOR them to be forgiven of their sin...

Should every person accepting Christ follow in believers baptism.....YES, absolutely!

Does that solidify or confirm their choice for Christ....NO!

He holds 5 services is a day so I understand. However, they said they could look into me setting up an appointment with him. I think I might just go to my other church because the pastor talks to people after the service, and it's also considered a mega churh. I also think I miss read the baptism information on one of the sites, because when I called and talk to an assistant pastor they explained it was not a requirement. However, the pastor was incredibly rude. I was extremely surprised. So I called another church I attend and they were so helpful. I'm going to seek spiritual counseling now through that church.

Tink............not only should the pastor of a church talk to you.............. he should want to do that!!!

While I do agree with you DRS, you must also know that water baptism does not save you and is not part of salvation.

I have personally lead many elderly people in nursing homes to the Lord Jesus and because of their health it was impossible to fully immerse them but I can assure you that they were just as saved as I am.

I have lead many young men to Christ who were in jail. There is no way in the world a prison will aloow anyone a day off to go to the river to be baptized but those men were saved because of their faith in Christ not how deep the water was in the river.

I have no idea how many men have been saved on the battle field with no way to be baptized and then were killed in battle. They were 100% saved because of their faith in the Lord Jesus and not because of there head being wet but because their heart was broken over their sin when they realized that Jesus died FOR them to be forgiven of their sin...

Should every person accepting Christ follow in believers baptism.....YES, absolutely!

Does that solidify or confirm their choice for Christ....NO!

Major, would you agree that there is blessings in obedience to the Lord? That is my main point about baptism....

There are LOTS of disobedient saved folks-should they be as blessed as the obedient? Salvation is free, all other blessings require some sort of sacrifice. (In my opinion)

What do you think about each church telling me I shouldn't go on Christian Forum sites?
I think that there exists a fair chance that the person who counseled you to avoid Christian forums is just concerned that as a young Christian, you are being exposed to a lot of different opinion, which that Church might not condone. They are being concerned for your spiritual growth.....which is a good thing. That does not mean you should shun forums, just be careful and be glad that the pastoral teams care about you.

Major, would you agree that there is blessings in obedience to the Lord? That is my main point about baptism....

There are LOTS of disobedient saved folks-should they be as blessed as the obedient? Salvation is free, all other blessings require some sort of sacrifice. (In my opinion)

Absolutly DRS! I agree with you and I in fact said that.

It IS an act of obedience that should be practiced by every single believer......BUT there are situations in which it simply can not be done and what I am saying is that the act of getting wet does not save anyone in those situations.

I think that there exists a fair chance that the person who counseled you to avoid Christian forums is just concerned that as a young Christian, you are being exposed to a lot of different opinion, which that Church might not condone. They are being concerned for your spiritual growth.....which is a good thing. That does not mean you should shun forums, just be careful and be glad that the pastoral teams care about you.

Excellant advice calvin. We all have seen how conversations can deteriate into battles for all to see and that alone will hurt a young Christian.

On the flip side, I've seen churches refuse to baptize unless one is a member. That could be a sign of cult-like behavior if they only want you to hear their version of Christianity. Discernment.

Back