Macarthur's Understanding Of The Holy Spirit

I could just say - watch all of the video but those who have eyes/ears......
MacArthur believes that the "apostle" and "prophet" stage is finished with Revelation. He believes that only the "controversial" gifts have ceased because the need for these as "proof" of the Truth's work was completed with Christ and the 1st century apostles. That's not to say MacArthur thinks that "miracles" of healing and insight doesn't continue to this day. Or that the HS isn't working in our lives. He uses scripture in context to show his points over a wide range from OT and New and he has a scriptural (overall) basis for all he says. That being said - I don't agree with all he says. But I can't listen to the man without noticing how much truth he speaks.

And IMHO he is completely correct!

You keep right on listening to him Silk. He is right on target, Biblically speaking.

MacArthur is just a man like any of us, we all make mistakes, however Father in His infinite wisdom knows there are some of His kids that need to be in a church like that, so He provides one for them, John's mistake was going public with what Father had blessed him and them with, yes he is correct about the bizarre Kundalini force being passed of in the church as the Holy Spirit, but no he is wrong that the sign gifts have ceased.

Blessings,

Gene

You know I agree with you almost all of the time Gene, however I have to disagree with you here. I do believe that the "Sign Gifts" have ceased. They were IMO given to the Apostles as a proof to validate their teaching until the Word of God was completed.

That completed Bible, the "Mature" Word of God is the Perfect Thing that is found in 1 Corth. 1:8-10 and when it, the Bible came to be completed, the gifts given to the apostles were no longer needed, hence that ceased.

The only ones that had the sign gifts to begin with were the Apostles according to Matt. 28 and Mark 16 and verified in Hebrews 2:1-5.

But I still love ya Gene!

I don't wish to debate, who among us might or might not have "gifts - if they have tested these spirit(s) - then let it be. But this "charismatic" movement has produced "fruit" that is in opposition to the Word and each other. Self-proclaimed "prophets" who don't speak with accuracy, and "apostles" who don't really heal anyone. And Tongues that no one understands, including the speaker. And NO interpeters. Even that could be readily faked. Nobody seems to understand that this amazing noise and confusion will make it near impossible for anyone to hear when God is really talking to someone. All we have is the bible.

I don't wish to debate, who among us might or might not have "gifts - if they have tested these spirit(s) - then let it be. But this "charismatic" movement has produced "fruit" that is in opposition to the Word and each other. Self-proclaimed "prophets" who don't speak with accuracy, and "apostles" who don't really heal anyone. And Tongues that no one understands, including the speaker. And NO interpeters. Even that could be readily faked. Nobody seems to understand that this amazing noise and confusion will make it near impossible for anyone to hear when God is really talking to someone. All we have is the bible.

The speaker isn't usually understanding the language he is speaking in the Spirit. Paul clearly tells us about that. Praying, speaking and singing in the Spirit is different than doing so in one's own native tongue.

1 Corinthians 14:14-15 (NLT)
14 For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don’t understand what I am saying.

15 Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit, and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand.

Read more at https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+14&version=NLT#ksS0KsW0PrA4u3Rz.99

The speaker isn't usually understanding the language he is speaking in the Spirit. Paul clearly tells us about that. Praying, speaking and singing in the Spirit is different than doing so in one's own native tongue.

1 Corinthians 14:14-15 (NLT)
14 For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don’t understand what I am saying.

15 Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit, and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand.

Read more at https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Corinthians 14&version=NLT#ksS0KsW0PrA4u3Rz.99

Of course Paul would pray in tongues, he probably gave them the Gospel in tongues too, and in the verse you quoted the word tongue is a unknown (to him) language, what do you think he would do, speak the Gospel in their native tongue and then when they wanted to receive Jesus he would pray in Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek? :confused:

Here's something else for you to consider, Paul in his travels probably met people of many different languages and dialects, so the Holy Spirit spoke through him in their native language (tongue), so after he spoke to them, ...how did he know what they were saying back to him?

And like I already said, I sing in the Tahitian language (tongues) with the congregation during worship, I'm singing in my spirit, but not with my understanding, I also sing in my spirit in French, but when doing that I do understand what I'm singing.

And I do speak in tongues (French) empowered by the Holy Spirit when we are using the gift of teaching, ...so what's your point?

You know I agree with you almost all of the time Gene, however I have to disagree with you here. I do believe that the "Sign Gifts" have ceased. They were IMO given to the Apostles as a proof to validate their teaching until the Word of God was completed.

That completed Bible, the "Mature" Word of God is the Perfect Thing that is found in 1 Corth. 1:8-10 and when it, the Bible came to be completed, the gifts given to the apostles were no longer needed, hence that ceased.

The only ones that had the sign gifts to begin with were the Apostles according to Matt. 28 and Mark 16 and verified in Hebrews 2:1-5.

But I still love ya Gene!

Ha!

I love you more than you love me, ...I'm not going to discuss it with you. :D

Mark 16:17 (NLT)
These miraculous signs will accompany those who believe: They will cast out demons in my name, and they will speak in new languages.

Christ also said: I do not know you who have claimed to speak in my name and cast out devils. Did you miss the Apostle Paul saying he needed to understand?

Christ also said: I do not know you who have claimed to speak in my name and cast out devils. Did you miss the Apostle Paul saying he needed to understand?

I don't worry about Jesus ever telling me such a thing. He knows me. The devils know me, too, and get out of my way when I tell them to, in Jesus' name.

Paul said to ask for interpretation. Do it.

1 Corinthians 14:13
Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.

Mark 16:17 (NLT)
These miraculous signs will accompany those who believe: They will cast out demons in my name, and they will speak in new languages.

Again, where's the beef?

I have been called to go out into the world and preach the Gospel and I do speak in tongues, it's the French language, ...how many times do I have to write this before you understand it?

Oh incidentally, I don't have a problem of recording what I say in tongues, in fact I'm sure Father would approve of it whole heartily.

I don't worry about Jesus ever telling me such a thing. He knows me. The devils know me, too, and get out of my way when I tell them to, in Jesus' name.

Paul said to ask for interpretation. Do it.

1 Corinthians 14:13
Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.

Voilá, interpret it for us, or tell us what you said and we will use the gift Father has placed in our hands and interpret it.

Again, where's the beef?

I have been called to go out into the world and preach the Gospel and I do speak in tongues, it's the French language, ...how many times do I have to write this before you understand it?

Oh incidentally, I don't have a problem of recording what I say in tongues, in fact I'm sure Father would approve of it whole heartily.

French is not a new language. It's as old as the hills.

You record it then. My Father has told me it is unseemly to allow myself to be manipulated into using one of His precious gifts to appease mockers. It's like throwing pearls, you know? Not gonna do that.

I would say that Paul by adding words he was familiar with, didn't need an interpeter. But we are again involved with individual claims. Euphemia? Do you think everyone who claims it, has this gift? And please "edify" on how this gift makes sense to you?

I would say that Paul by adding words he was familiar with, didn't need an interpeter. But we are again involved with individual claims. Euphemia? Do you think everyone who claims it, has this gift? And please "edify" on how this gift makes sense to you?

Anyone who has experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit can speak in tongues if they so wish (from man to God). That is not to say that everyone has been given the gift of the prophetic use of tongues to be used in the assembly, where God speaks through them to the Church, and requires the interpretive gift along with it.

It's not important for you to know what you say to God?

No. It is sufficient for me to know that my spirit is talking to God but my mind is resting in Him. My spirit is being fed and blessed, and I am being edified, and healed and strengthened, and who knows what answers are being downloaded. So much is going on. If God wants me to know what is being said, He will tell me to ask for interpretation, and he will give it. It's not a biggie.

French is not a new language. It's as old as the hills.

You record it then. My Father has told me it is unseemly to allow myself to be manipulated into using one of His precious gifts to appease mockers. It's like throwing pearls, you know? Not gonna do that.

You make me laugh, none of the languages the disciples spoke on the day of Pentecost were a new language, they had been around in one form or another since the Tower of Babel.

Careful, if you are muttering or peeping then you are the one doing the mocking and yes the people doing that, their father would surely tell them not to expose it because it would be revealed for the fraud it is.

For someone claiming to be specially blessed by the Holy Spirit you sure don't show much fruit of the love of the Holy Spirit,

Remember what Jesus taught, if you even call me an idiot you are guilty of murder and I think I remember Paul saying no murders would inherit the Kingdom of God, ...calling me a mocker and a swine is far worse then calling me one that can't learn.

Last edited:
Anyone who has experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit can speak in tongues if they so wish (from man to God). That is not to say that everyone has been given the gift of the prophetic use of tongues to be used in the assembly, where God speaks through them to the Church, and requires the interpretive gift along with it.

So explain to us this baptism of the Spirit and where it is found in Scripture.

Back