If I were to commit suicide, would I go to hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be true if we were to be judged by our own righteousness. In which case, you and me, plus all the rest, would all fail on every count, not just on big things like suicide or murder, but by simple unclean inner thoughts and attitudes.
So Flavio, just how clean and perfect are your own secret thoughts? Have you ever entertained the slightest of unclean thoughts, have you ever been slightly angry at someone? By your own methodology Flavio, unless you can guarantee a lifetime of total inner perfection, you are also on your own expressway to hell.
On the other hand, if the suicider is born of the Spirit of God, then his eternal destiny is not dependent on his earthly success at resisting the temptation to end it all. That poor man's eternal destiny is utterly dependent on the trustworthiness of his Heavenly Father, rather than on himself.
Likewise, you and me have an eternal destiny based on accepting Christ's righteousness, not on whether we live a sin free life minus attempts of suicide or other failures.

I've been in your shoes more times than I can count. A song that has opened my eyes is Matthew West's "Strong Enough". It begins with:

"You must...
You must think I'm strong,
To give me what I'm going through"

I had listened to this song a ton of times, but there was one day when it hit me, what God was trying to say to me and others, suffering. Whatever you do, don't give up, cling to God and give thanks for things that may not even be visible to you. I know it's terribly hard sometimes, but it helps immensely. There are versus that help me in times of despair. They may seem out of context, but they help calm my fears and allow me to see that God is in control. I hope they will be of help to you. Here they are:

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God"

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?"

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts."

"And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?” Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?”

"In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will"

But if I were to commit suicide, would I go to hell? What do you think?

I don't think a Christian can commit suicide. Christianity 101 = we are already dead / we live for God not ourselves. Going through with suicide implies we are not Christian. Which means we are likely en route to hell already and not because of the suicide alone.

Not saying many Christians don't think it. I would say many do. But in harsh / tense / stressful moments like that the reality of Jesus giving His life for us so that we may live...hits home. A Christian receives absolute clarity on their dependence on Jesus in such moments. I do believe God allows us to go through such moments.

I don't think a Christian can commit suicide. Christianity 101 = we are already dead / we live for God not ourselves. Going through with suicide implies we are not Christian. Which means we are likely en route to hell already and not because of the suicide alone.

Not saying many Christians don't think it. I would say many do. But in harsh / tense / stressful moments like that the reality of Jesus giving His life for us so that we may live...hits home. A Christian receives absolute clarity on their dependence on Jesus in such moments. I do believe God allows us to go through such moments.

Yes, a Christian can commit suicide. I happen to have known one beautiful believer who did just that. She is in the presence of her Lord and enjoying His peace.

You are off the mark here KingJ.
I know a wonderful christian lady who after the birth of her second child committed suicide from post natal depression.

If you believe that the "we are already dead/ we live for God" principle should be applied to suiciders, then it should also applied to all other sinners should it not?

So, KingJ, having presented the notion, you must be one of those "Christianity 101 guys....already dead..........living for God", is that right?
You are utterly perfect, and never ever do anything wrong, never have a naughty thought, never get irritated or short tempered with friends and family, never ever sin........etc. You get the picture?

You can't just isolate suicide as something to apply a pet doctrine to. If a doctrine is correct then it should be universally applicable to all attitudes and actions that are not right.
If going through suicide implies we are not christian and are on our way to hell, angry thoughts or words also implies we are not christian and are on our way to hell.
Wait a minute. Isn't that what Jesus said?
http://biblehub.com/matthew/5-21.htm
Matthew5v21“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

There you are, its not just suicide that gets you a ticket to hellfire is it, anger or nasty retorts also get you a ticket.

Mmmm?
That you and me stuffed isn't it KingJ, cos we just ain't good enough.
See, that what come from depending on your own righteousness instead of Christ's.

I've been in your shoes more times than I can count. A song that has opened my eyes is Matthew West's "Strong Enough". It begins with:

"You must...
You must think I'm strong,
To give me what I'm going through"

I had listened to this song a ton of times, but there was one day when it hit me, what God was trying to say to me and others, suffering. Whatever you do, don't give up, cling to God and give thanks for things that may not even be visible to you. I know it's terribly hard sometimes, but it helps immensely. There are versus that help me in times of despair. They may seem out of context, but they help calm my fears and allow me to see that God is in control. I hope they will be of help to you. Here they are:

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God"

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?"

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts."

"And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?” Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?”

"In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will"

Do u know who writes the song

Yes, a Christian can commit suicide. I happen to have known one beautiful believer who did just that. She is in the presence of her Lord and enjoying His peace.

I too have known good people who have comitted suicide. I want to believe they are in heaven. But the evidence does not point there.

You are off the mark here KingJ.
I know a wonderful christian lady who after the birth of her second child committed suicide from post natal depression.

If you believe that the "we are already dead/ we live for God" principle should be applied to suiciders, then it should also applied to all other sinners should it not?

So, KingJ, having presented the notion, you must be one of those "Christianity 101 guys....already dead..........living for God", is that right?
You are utterly perfect, and never ever do anything wrong, never have a naughty thought, never get irritated or short tempered with friends and family, never ever sin........etc. You get the picture?

You can't just isolate suicide as something to apply a pet doctrine to. If a doctrine is correct then it should be universally applicable to all attitudes and actions that are not right.
If going through suicide implies we are not christian and are on our way to hell, angry thoughts or words also implies we are not christian and are on our way to hell.
Wait a minute. Isn't that what Jesus said?
Matthew5v21“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

There you are, its not just suicide that gets you a ticket to hellfire is it, anger or nasty retorts also get you a ticket.

Mmmm?
That you and me stuffed isn't it KingJ, cos we just ain't good enough.
See, that what come from depending on your own righteousness instead of Christ's.

I am not saying the sin of suicide gets you into hell. I am saying the state of the heart prior to that points to one that is not in full submission to Jesus.

No sin ever condemned anyone to hell. Loving what is evil gets' you into hell. We are not God and can only really judge actions. Mortal sins point to someone being further lost to loving what is evil.

I am not saying the sin of suicide gets you into hell. I am saying the state of the heart prior to that points to one that is not in full submission to Jesus.

No sin ever condemned anyone to hell. Loving what is evil gets' you into hell. We are not God and can only really judge actions. Mortal sins point to someone being further lost to loving what is evil.

Rejecting Christ and Salvation is the only weay into hell.
God is a Good and Rightious Judge - That is all we have to hope in.

How does someone reject Christ?
Refuse His salvation. Wont submit to His ways. Never get around to making Him Lord of their life. Never becoming born again.

Here is the big one - becomes dead and stands before God with out Christ.
No Christ - No Blood of Christ - No getting into Heaven and spending eternity with the Father, which means they suffer the second death - seperation from God.

Which one of us can claim to be fully submitted to Jesus? I would love to claim that status, but like Paul, I am all too aware of my own weakness.
So as far as the human heart is concerned,-
Suicide is therefore no different to all your other sins is it?
If suicide points to not being submitted to Jesus, heart anger must also point to not being fully submitted to Jesus.
If suicide points to not being a christian, then anger points to not being a christian.
If suicide indicates loving evil, then anger indicates to loving evil.
If anger indicates loving evil, by your definition anger gets you into hell.

If Jesus equated anger to murder, what is "mortal sin" that makes it different to other sins?
In fact the definition "mortal sin" is just a catholic invention which falsely colours people's understanding of scripture.

Refuse His salvation. Wont submit to His ways. Never get around to making Him Lord of their life. Never becoming born again.

Here is the big one - becomes dead and stands before God with out Christ.
No Christ - No Blood of Christ - No getting into Heaven and spending eternity with the Father, which means they suffer the second death - seperation from God.
How does someone refuse salvation?

We refuse salvation by hating God. We hate God by loving what is evil.

I believe that suicide is pure rebellion against Jesus Christ, and this is because you are taking your life, which belongs to Him, and ending it before its time. But if I were to commit suicide, would I go to hell? What do you think?

I think you need to get off the computer, stop playing the video games and go out side in the fresh air and PLAY.

Climb some trees, dig a hole, swim, throw a ball against the wall and catch it. Here is one......make a "rubber band gun" and go around hunting flies and spiders with it.

If you don't know how to make one.......ask me and I will tell you. Get involved in real stuff that surrounds you and take joy in the creation.

I am an old man now, but I can promise you that I spend hours every day outside playing with my grand kids. When they are here at our home I make (I do not ask) them turn off all the electronic stuff they have and we just play in the woods.

Member Advisory: Since the originator of this thread is no longer associated with CFS as a member, the Moderator Team will allow this thread to continue as long as no questions are posted for the thread starter. Please keep this thread on topic and under the circumstances, some older, dormant threads started by that person may be retired from the forum over the next few weeks. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back