Do Angels Have An Earthly Ministry Today?

I have a feeling most people have an "angel" story to tell if they think about it...the kind where they absolutely know they would have died or been seriously injured, yet miraculously lived and were kept safe, and give credit to an angel for their safety. I can think of multiple times in my life of having this experience, though I have not actually seen an angel with my physical eyes that I know of.

You are so very right. However, when we do that we are giving credit to an angel instead of the Holy Spirit, the Comforter who Jesus said whould do exactly those things for us.

You are so very right. However, when we do that we are giving credit to an angel instead of the Holy Spirit, the Comforter who Jesus said whould do exactly those things for us.

I never thought about it that way because even though I thought it was an angel who helped/protected, I knew it could not do it without being sent from God, so I always recognized the true source of my help. But you are right...I probably should not tell my stories and then end them with saying I believed it was angel... Non-believers and baby Christians could get the wrong idea.

I am so glad to be able to fellowship here! I'm learning so much! I am moving closer to some churches I've not checked out before, so am looking forward to trying again to find a good church.

I'm not sure we can call them guardian Angels but they do aid and serve us so guardian isn't such a bad definition. imo.

Heb 1:13-14 KJV But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? (14) Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Angel warfare goes on all around us. I love how Elisha could see Yahweh's Army and he truly understood that no-one can stand against them ( The Lord's Angels/Mistering Spirits ) .

2Ki 6:17 KJV And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

That's a good point, agua...

I'm not sure we can call them guardian Angels but they do aid and serve us so guardian isn't such a bad definition. imo.

Heb 1:13-14 KJV But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? (14) Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Angel warfare goes on all around us. I love how Elisha could see Yahweh's Army and he truly understood that no-one can stand against them ( The Lord's Angels/Mistering Spirits ) .

2 Ki 6:17 JV And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

Notice the text you posted from Hebrews 1:14.
"Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?"

The Greek "sent forth" uses the present participle there which speaks to the angelic ministry. But when we consider Heb 13:2 it implies that though in the past some have entertained angels unknowingly, it is not to happen anymore.

Then please consider that Hebrews was written to Jewish Christians to teach them that Jesus was better than angels and if you will carfully notice again verse 14....it says "to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation".

Isn't the "heir" of salvation the Jews?
I never thought about it that way because even though I thought it was an angel who helped/protected, I knew it could not do it without being sent from God, so I always recognized the true source of my help. But you are right...I probably should not tell my stories and then end them with saying I believed it was angel... Non-believers and baby Christians could get the wrong idea.

I am so glad to be able to fellowship here! I'm learning so much! I am moving closer to some churches I've not checked out before, so am looking forward to trying again to find a good church.

EXACTLY right my dear!!!

I am a sinner by birth, a Christian by grace and a Baptist by choice. I would encourage you to read and study the Scriptures and I think that you will come to the same choice as I did.

Last edited:
Yes, I do ask friends to pray to GOD about my needs. But I have a feeling they are going straight to the top as well...not through an angel.
Well, there ya' go. An angel's work is through God. Angels work in service to Him, and asking an angel's help is asking for intercession just as you'd ask for. Friend's intercession.

Anyone who thinks the power comes from the angel misses the point.

Asking both a friend or an angel for prayer is ultimately asking for top help--God.

Well, there ya' go. An angel's work is through God. Angels work in service to Him, and asking an angel's help is asking for intercession just as you'd ask for. Friend's intercession.

Asking both a friend or an angel for prayer is ultimately asking for top help--God.

Remember Galatians 1:1 & 9.

I'm sorry...I just don't see evidence of anyone in the Bible going to angels with their requests. I don't know of apostles' recommendations to go to angels with requests.

If I may ask, why do you believe it would be evil to ask for an angel to pray for you?

I've never been told by apostles to ask an angel to pray for me; however, the apostles DO tell us humans to bear each other's burdens, and to pray unceasingly for each other. I have never felt compelled by the Holy Spirit to go to angels. I go to God.

Do you know of any requests made by humans to angels in the Bible?

If I may ask, why do you believe it would be evil to ask for an angel to pray for you?

The reason it would be evil is because it is opening the door to beginning to think angels should be thanked/given credit for doing God's work Also, how would I know I'm communicating with a holy angel and not an unholy one? It is dangerous, IMO.

I've never been told by apostles to ask an angel to pray for me; however, the apostles DO tell us humans to bear each other's burdens, and to pray unceasingly for each other. I have never felt compelled by the Holy Spirit to go to angels. I go to God.

I'm not suggesting bypassing God to go to an angel -- I'd agree that's totally wrong. Damn near worship in fact if it isn't entirely. But why is it evil to ask an angel to pray for you if we are also to ask one another to pray for us?

All are coming together in the name of God.
All are lifting their prayers to God.
All are there for support to get closer to God.

I've never seen a passage that rejected asking an angel for prayer. You'll also find no verse that directly says to go to an angel for prayer. But you'll find multiple passages that tell us to pray for each other. Why are angels to be left out?

The reason it would be evil is because it is opening the door to beginning to think angels should be thanked/given credit for doing God's work Also, how would I know I'm communicating with a holy angel and not an unholy one? It is dangerous, IMO.

If the concern is you feel a presence and you aren't sure whether it is of God or Satan, then the wise thing to do is pray to God and ask for shelter under Him. Because demons can be tricky.

But if we each are assigned an angel, then I don't see how saying "Pray for me" to that angel is any different from going to a friend and saying "Pray for me."

I'm not suggesting bypassing God to go to an angel -- I'd agree that's totally wrong. Damn near worship in fact if it isn't entirely. But why is it evil to ask an angel to pray for you if we are also to ask one another to pray for us?

All are coming together in the name of God.
All are lifting their prayers to God.
All are there for support to get closer to God.

I've never seen a passage that rejected asking an angel for prayer. You'll also find no verse that directly says to go to an angel for prayer. But you'll find multiple passages that tell us to pray for each other. Why are angels to be left out?

Maybe because it's politically correct to go first to God with our requests, and let Him decide how to answer us (maybe by using angels!). Angels are God's creatures made for a specific work. Anyways, how would I ask an angel to pray? Orally/verbally? Can they read my mind like God? Can they tell what my motives/intentions are? Sorry, but I really feel a check in my spirit about communicating with angels.

Back