Do Angels Have An Earthly Ministry Today?

Why do you think that it is angels in view in Matt, 18:10?

in red font indicate (to me) care, attention, appeal

Matthew 18:10New King James Version (NKJV)
The Parable of the Lost Sheep
10 “Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 18:10
"See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually see the face of My Father who is in heaven.

But context of Scriptures do not lend themselves to say that verse 18 is about angels at all.

There is no doubt that Matt. 18:10 is the lench pin verse for all who believe that angels have a ministry today.

In the context, “these little ones” appear either apply to those who believe in Him (v. 6) or it could refer to the little children (vs. 3-5).

verse 6.....
"but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."

verse 3.....
"and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

verses 4-5.......
"Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5 “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me".

I hope that you can see that the context and focus from Jesus is CHILDREN and not angels. I may be wrong, but that is what I think.

I believe in angels as much as anyone else. All I am saying is that IMO is appears that they do not have an earthly ministry today. They will prominate very soon in the Tribulation but not today.

expanding the verse, I wonder the context of how angel is used in Hebrew verse:

Hebrews 13 New King James Version (NKJV)
Concluding Moral Directions
13 Let brotherly love continue. 2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. 3 Remember the prisoners as if chained with them—those who are mistreated—since you yourselves are in the body also.
4 Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge.
5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”[
a] 6 So we may boldly say:
“The Lord is my helper;
I will not fear.
What can man do to me?”[
b]

in red font indicate (to me) care, attention, appeal

Matthew 18:10New King James Version (NKJV)
The Parable of the Lost Sheep
10 “Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven.

I hear you and accept and believe the verse just as you printed it. Now where in that verse does it stipulate that angels have an earthly ministry today??????

Notice Job 1:6...
"Now there came a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord and Satan came also among them""

Those were angels and they "always see the face od God" but that does not infer that they are busy today here on the earth.

I hear you and accept and believe the verse just as you printed it. Now where in that verse does it stipulate that angels have an earthly ministry today??????

"Now there came a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord and Satan came also among them""

Those were angels and they "always see the face od God" but that does not infer that they are busy today here on the earth.

ok, I accept that as valid explanation... how about the Hebrew verse?

Nor does the verse imply that the same ministry described there is not in place today.
That's a false argument. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I find it odd that you refuse to accept any evidence not found in scripture, regardless of how reliable or the fact that the evidenc agrees
with what little there is stated in scripture.

yes, and also that Hebrew verse...

Hebrews 13:2New King James Version (NKJV)
2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.

Again....absolutely correct and I agree 100%. IT means exactly what it says BUT it does NOT say that angels have an earthly ministry today!!!

The context of that verse is that men did entertain angels and that also speaks clearly to Abraham who did that for 3 heavenly beings. But we have to be careful not to add to what the Scriptures do say.

Over the years, my observations have been that it is not so much what men take away from the Scriptures, BUT what they add to them. That is the danger my brother.

Last edited:
"for so by doing" implies a positive consequence of an action...
the reason for them (the angels) in earth may not be ministry, but their presence caused a human action....

Hebrews 13 New King James Version (NKJV)
Concluding Moral Directions
13 Let brotherly love continue. 2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. 3 Remember the prisoners as if chained with them—those who are mistreated—since you yourselves are in the body also.

Nor does the verse imply that the same ministry described there is not in place today.
I find it odd that you refuse to accept any evidence not found in scripture, regardless of how reliable or the fact that the evidenc agrees

I find it odd that you continue to add to what the Scripture do in fact say. Glo...you are very Biblically intelligent so you know what I am saying. We can not ADD to the Word of God. I am not refusing to accept what you are saying......I am trying to explain to you that there just may be another explanation which you have not considered. If you do not agree.......fine with me because I do nor care.

I am just trying to communicate not confront as you seem intent on doing. I GET IT. Angels are a real Catholic doctrine. I know that and I am not attacking your belief in any way. IF you do agree ......just say so and we will still be friends. It is that I just believe differently than you do on this subject.

In Hebrews 13:17 ..............
“Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.”

According to that Bible verse aren't Elders in the church watch to for the souls in that congregation that the members may continually serve God with a pure heart. Isn't that what it says?????

Now, think....... is it possible to be tempted and sin? If so, it would be logical to say that if we had guardian angels protecting us, we would be unable to sin and be unable to get hurt. Therefore, if one did have a guardian angel, what purpose would he serve? He could not tell us anything else in regards to the scriptures for they are able to make one perfect (2 Tim 3:16, 17).

He could not get us out of trouble or to keep one from sinning because it would eliminate our free will. Is that not 100% Biblically true????

He could not comfort us because it would eliminate God, prayer and the scriptures along with the Holy Spirit. (Rom. 15:4)
Therefore, it can be concluded that we have no reason to believe that angels travel about the country in human form today, testing God’s people about their hospitality or bringing protection to individual’s lives, or doing errands for individuals.

THINK Folks.......what about those who say that angels “Watch over me” or when we feel protected by something that some will say, “ Well that’s my guardian angel ”? If one truly believes this, then they would be giving praise to an angel and not to God who created that angel. Isn't that exactly why Paul wrote the book of Galatians????

Furthermore, God watches over us, hears our prayers, has given us his word, and he tells us to watch for our own selves to not be deceived by corruption and sin. Furthermore, he tells how to overcome sin and all of this is done without a guardian angel because He have given us the Holy Spirit to live in our hearts. Therefore, what would a guardian angel do? Just sit and drink coffee with us? If so, like those in the past, we would never know who was and who was not a guardian angel.

Don't think it odd that I do not accept the evidence not found in the Scripture Glo. Actually that is a great compliment to me!!! I crossed that bridge many, many years ago.

Colossians 2:7-8.......
"rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.
8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits[a] of the world, and not according to Christ. "

Romans 10:17........
"Faith comes by hearing and hearing from the Word of God".

Work and then work at home, then my studies and just running out of time :) I have a new boss I have to break in too :p

I also have an online meeting with folks back in America in about 1/2 hour... me tired. :sleep:

Some early church fathers believed that each person had not only a good angel assigned to him/her, but a demon as well. The belief in guardian angels has been around for a long time, but there is no explicit scriptural basis for it.

It cannot be emphatically answered from Scripture whether or not each believer has a guardian angel assigned to him/her.

Jesus said to His disciples in John 16:7........
“Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.”

John 14:6........
"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever."

The Holy Spirit has many functions, roles, and activities. First, He does a work in the hearts of all people everywhere. Jesus told the disciples that He would send the Spirit into the world to “convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment” (John 16:7-11). Everyone has a “God consciousness,” whether or not they admit it. The Spirit applies the truths of God to minds of men to convince them by fair and sufficient arguments that they are sinners. Responding to that conviction brings men to salvation.

Once we are saved and belong to God, the Spirit takes up residence in our hearts forever, sealing us with the confirming, certifying, and assuring pledge of our eternal state as His children. Jesus said He would send the Spirit to us to be our Helper, Comforter, and Guide.

It seems to me that the Holy Spirit is to do what we think angels are doing.

I have a feeling most people have an "angel" story to tell if they think about it...the kind where they absolutely know they would have died or been seriously injured, yet miraculously lived and were kept safe, and give credit to an angel for their safety. I can think of multiple times in my life of having this experience, though I have not actually seen an angel with my physical eyes that I know of.

Yes. Some worthy persons have actually been able to see and converse freely with their guardian angels.
I had an absent minded Orthodox friend who regularly misplaced things. He would ask his guardian angel to find them for him
and the items would be left at the doorstep.

THAT would make me a bit nervous. Do you mean your friend actually saw and talked to his angel on a regular basis about trivial matters such as lost items? THAT would make me a LOT nervous....

Indeed, we do have guardian angels. The angels still have a mission and a service to God. We should be welcome to converse with our guardians in asking them to intercede and pray with us.

We may have even seen and spoken to angels, unbeknownst to us of course.

I would tell any angel that was talking to me that it had to pass the "test the spirit" test first. Especially if I didn't experience awe and wonder during the conversation....am very skeptical about casual or regular contacts with angels...

THAT would make me a bit nervous. Do you mean your friend actually saw and talked to his angel on a regular basis about trivial matters such as lost items? THAT would make me a LOT nervous....
Spoke to face to face, no. But he trusted that his angel would hear.

I guess one could ask......."Do we have guardian angels today".

I'm not sure we can call them guardian Angels but they do aid and serve us so guardian isn't such a bad definition. imo.

Heb 1:13-14 KJV But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? (14) Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Angel warfare goes on all around us. I love how Elisha could see Yahweh's Army and he truly understood that no-one can stand against them ( The Lord's Angels/Mistering Spirits ) .

2Ki 6:17 KJV And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

Back