Annihilationism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it has...you just don't like how we have judged your ability to bring together the truth of scripture....God is not in Hell! Lets start with that error and then move in a systematic way to your many other errors.
God is in hades. Hades is not hell.

Psalm 139:8
King James Version (KJV)
8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

The King James translators chose to render sheol/hades as hell in this passage.

And yet

And yet in speaking of people thrown into the lake of fire it's defined as "the second death". And other non-personal entities (death and hades) are destroyed in the fire... I'm sorry, but I'm not going to base my entire theology of what happens to the wicked after the judgement on a single verse which speaks of the devil, the beast and the false prophet...

And just to be clear, the exegesis I was (and still am) waiting for was of Rev 20:14-15)

It matters not.......you will reject it.

Now that is funny! To believe what you are suggesting means that one has to reject or change Scriptures but now you what to stick to Scriptual evidence.

Why not speak to the Scriptures already posted that rejects your idea.

He's posted verses in most of his posts here, Major. Just because you don't agree with the interpretation doesn't mean that he's changing anything. With his video (which I doubt most people have watched entirely) and all of his posts I would say he's given a better stance on his position than all the traditionalists have in all the posts put together.

Now this is the KEY! Right here in this post is the answer that Mitspa has given.

Anytime that something has to be worked so hard at, and which causes so much emotion which is highly negative and getting more personal all the time.......IT CAN NOT BE GOOD OR RIGHT OR CORRECT.

This is exactly what I warned about on the very 1st page of this thread and we are right now in the middle of that thought.

If this were true you would have just proved annihilationism!! :D Just look back and see who exactly is producing more heat than light here...

He's posted verses in most of his posts here, Major. Just because you don't agree with the interpretation doesn't mean that he's changing anything. With his video (which I doubt most people have watched entirely) and all of his posts I would say he's given a better stance on his position than all the traditionalists have in all the posts put together.

As one who saw it, and one who has read his comments from his web site, I have to be one who has to disagree with that comment.

God is in hades. Hades is not hell.

Psalm 139:8
King James Version (KJV)
8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

The King James translators chose to render sheol/hades as hell in this passage.
Well of course this scripture is not saying God "dwells" or abides in Hades...but that He has Power to manifest Himself when and where He likes and nothing is greater than Him... Come on! to use this scripture to form your doctrine...proves how unbiblical your doctrine is!

If this were true you would have just proved annihilationism!! :D Just look back and see who exactly is producing more heat than light here...

Not so Andrew at all. MY posts are in RESPONE to your comments and your opinions. YOU have come in swinging and now that you take a hit, all of a sudden it is time for you to defect your actions from YOU to others. That will not work here my new friend!

We all can go back and see who said what and the nature of who it was said. Stick to the reality and away from deflection.

As one who saw it, and one who has read his comments from his web site, I have to be one who has to disagree with that comment.

Alright, well your posts seem to be filled with "NOPES," which is honestly the worst way to refute someones claims and Mitspa said from the beginning that he's smart enough that he doesn't have time to waste explaining the errors of our thinking. Just sayin'.

Now this is the KEY! Right here in this post is the answer that Mitspa has given.

Anytime that something has to be worked so hard at, and which causes so much emotion which is highly negative and getting more personal all the time.......IT CAN NOT BE GOOD OR RIGHT OR CORRECT.

This is exactly what I warned about on the very 1st page of this thread and we are right now in the middle of that thought.
What would be your advice to the reformers? To Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli? They tackled the doctrine of purgatory (among many others). Church tradition has been wrong about it's eschatology before. Scripture is our authority, not doctrine or tradition.

Surely you are not implying that the highly negative nature of this discussion, which has been caused primarily by the defenders of eternal conscious torment, is actually evidence that their defense is correct??

What I spoke to regarding sheol/hades has not been addressed.

1. Hades/sheol will give up its dead on the day of judgement (Rev 20.13).
2. Hades/sheol will be thrown into the lake of fire on the day of judgement (Rev 20:14).

Therefore,

3. Hades is a temporary location of the dead, not a permanent one.
4. Hades is not the lake of fire.

Therefore,

Eternal conscious torment in the lake of fire cannot be substantiated by appeals to passages about hades (Luke 16, et al).

"Eternal conscious torment in the lake of fire cannot be substantiated by appeals to passages about hades (Luke 16, et al"

WHY??????

Put the scripture in its context...
Ps 139:2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.
5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
7 ¶ Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

So is this passage saying that God is in hell? of course NOT!

Last edited:
Alright, well your posts seem to be filled with "NOPES," which is honestly the worst way to refute someones claims and Mitspa said from the beginning that he's smart enough that he doesn't have time to waste explaining the errors of our thinking. Just sayin'.

And you said you did not come to cause an argument. What is your point. Would it be better if I said "NO". or "NO SIR".
or "NOT ME".

But what in the world does that have to do with the content of your thread on this matter????

Put the scripture in its context...
Ps 139:2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.
5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
7 ¶ Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
Now to take the scripture that has been used and build all kinds of error off of that is just ungodly!

What would be your advice to the reformers? To Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli? They tackled the doctrine of purgatory (among many others). Church tradition has been wrong about it's eschatology before. Scripture is our authority, not doctrine or tradition.

Surely you are not implying that the highly negative nature of this discussion, which has been caused primarily by the defenders of eternal conscious torment, is actually evidence that their defense is correct??

I do not find that the negative nature of the discussion is more slanted one way or the other. IMO both side are equally at fault here and NO, the more vocal is not the right answer at all.

What I spoke to regarding sheol/hades has not been addressed.

1. Hades/sheol will give up its dead on the day of judgement (Rev 20.13).
2. Hades/sheol will be thrown into the lake of fire on the day of judgement (Rev 20:14).

Therefore,

3. Hades is a temporary location of the dead, not a permanent one.
4. Hades is not the lake of fire.

Therefore,

Eternal conscious torment in the lake of fire cannot be substantiated by appeals to passages about hades (Luke 16, et al).

Agreed............but I do not accept your thesis on ............
"Eternal conscious torment in the lake of fire cannot be substantiated by appeals to passages about hades".

Now that is funny! To believe what you are suggesting means that one has to reject or change Scriptures but now you what to stick to Scriptual evidence.

Why not speak to the Scriptures already posted that rejects your idea.
I have replied to Luke 16, Matthew 25, Revelation 14, Revelation 20, and Isaiah 34. Multiple times. Are there other verses you would like me to reply to? I have yet to hear a reply from anyone to my post #95 which lists MANY scriptures that indicate destruction of the wicked. If you would care to, please address each of those passages and explain why death, perish, destroy, and destruction actually mean eternal conscious torment. Do you propose we "change" them?

I have replied to Luke 16, Matthew 25, Revelation 14, Revelation 20, and Isaiah 34. Multiple times. Are there other verses you would like me to reply to? I have yet to hear a reply from anyone to my post #95 which lists MANY scriptures that indicate destruction of the wicked. If you would care to, please address each of those passages and explain why death, perish, destroy, and destruction actually mean eternal conscious torment.
No you have not! you have just ignored what you did not want to deal with and taken whatever meaning you want to build more error! Please explain how "God is in hell" and your scripture is not suggesting what you are trying to affirm... your CLEARLY misusing this scripture to promote your error!

And you said you did not come to cause an argument. What is your point. Would it be better if I said "NO". or "NO SIR".
or "NOT ME".

But what in the world does that have to do with the content of your thread on this matter????
I didn't want an argument. If every post was like KingJ's post we wouldn't have a problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back