The MOST Important Bible Doctrine

There many, many Bible doctrines. I am not posting this as a TEST or something to be argued. Just a way to get you to think!

In your opinion, what do YOU believe is the 31 most important Bible doctrine and WHY do you think that?

Personally, I believe that the doctrine of the TRINITY is the most important and basic Bible doctrine.
Now PLEASE, PLEASE do not post that the word TRINITY is not in the Bible so it can not be a Bible doctrine. That is for another thread and is not pertinent to this one.

From Scripture we learn that God, by nature is a Triune Being or Trinity. The subject of the Trinity is holy ground because it discusses the nature of the one, true, God. Consequently we should approach the subject with all humility and reverence.

The doctrine of the Trinity is embedded in the Scriptures from Genesis to Revelation. It is ingrained in the very fabric of
Scripture.

IN the beginning, In Genesis, we have God making the world, the Spirit hovering over the water, and God speaking to create. In this, we can observe God the Father and the Spirit, as well as even the Son as the Word which God speaks (cf. Ps 33:6; Jhn 1:1-2 & Colossians 1:16).

In the end, without the Trinity, you can’t have the Day of the Lord in 2 Thessalonians 2. That judgment comes when the Holy Spirit, the restrainer, is removed, and God the Father sends a deluding influence so that they will not believe the Son. Likewise, the very courtroom scene of heaven, which inaugurates the end of history (Rev 4-5), showcases how the Father honors the Son as the King whose ministry is anointed by the Spirit (Rev 1:4; 5:6-8). In the end, the triune God will rule the New Heavens and Earth and receive worship (Rev 22:3; cf. 1:4). All of this shows that these members are all co-equal and thereby one, for there is only one God (cf. Deut 6:4). At the same time, they are distinct persons. The end of history unveils the full glory of the triune Godhead. The Trinity is as important at the end as it was in the beginning.

OK...............Your turn!

I believe that the doctrine of the TRINITY is the most important and basic Bible doctrine.

Genesis 1:26

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

I certainly believe the Trinity to be important in our understanding of the Lord but I disagree that it is the most important. The most important doctrine is that we look to Jesus and believe.

Numbers 21:8-9

"And the Lord said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live. And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived."

John 14:6

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Genesis 1:26

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

I certainly believe the Trinity to be important in our understanding of the Lord but I disagree that it is the most important. The most important doctrine is that we look to Jesus and believe.

Numbers 21:8-9

"And the Lord said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live. And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived."

John 14:6

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
I agree and that is an excellent choice.

However, recall that Jesus is the 2nd Person of the Trinity. Would you then agree that there must be a Trinity for there to be a Son of God to believe in????

In your opinion, what do YOU believe is the 31 most important Bible doctrine and WHY do you think that?
Oh I couldn't name 31 most important bible doctrines but I could eat 31 flavors of Baskin Robbins ice cream lol.

Yes the Trinity is highly important but I think for the Christian struggling with his/her standing before God, the doctrine of justification by faith (alone) along with the imputed righteousness of Christ (Rom 3&4) are up there on the list.
I may be speaking anecdotally but those doctrines have been most helpful in my walk.

Of course God is a Trinity, at least from the human perspective. Whether God sees himself as Triune is a different matter. ;)
Now, the fact that the Trinity is seen all through the Scriptures, and those Scriptures are how He reveals Himself to us, whouldnt it them seem mormal that God would see and know that He is a Trinity?

Oh I couldn't name 31 most important bible doctrines but I could eat 31 flavors of Baskin Robbins ice cream lol.

Yes the Trinity is highly important but I think for the Christian struggling with his/her standing before God, the doctrine of justification by faith (alone) along with the imputed righteousness of Christ (Rom 3&4) are up there on the list.
I may be speaking anecdotally but those doctrines have been most helpful in my walk.

Absolutly! I would agree.

Now, the fact that the Trinity is seen all through the Scriptures, and those Scriptures are how He reveals Himself to us, whouldnt it them seem mormal that God would see and know that He is a Trinity?
We're not quite understanding each other. Of course God knows that he is a Trinity since that's how he presents himself to us. My comment was not meant to dispute that. I was merely wondering if that's how God sees himself.

For example, at work I present myself to my coworkers as a software engineer. To my wife I present myself as a loving husband. To my parents I present myself as a son. But none of this makes me an engineer, or a husband or a son. Those are aspects of me. They are roles I play. But they are not me. I am much more than that.

So back to God. Yes, he presents himself to us a the Father and Son and Holy Spirit, but what does that mean? Are those roles that he plays in reference to us or is that his true nature as he sees himself? I don't know. I suspect it's not important. God chose to present himself to us in this manner so that's enough for us, at least while we live in the flesh.

We're not quite understanding each other. Of course God knows that he is a Trinity since that's how he presents himself to us. My comment was not meant to dispute that. I was merely wondering if that's how God sees himself.

For example, at work I present myself to my coworkers as a software engineer. To my wife I present myself as a loving husband. To my parents I present myself as a son. But none of this makes me an engineer, or a husband or a son. Those are aspects of me. They are roles I play. But they are not me. I am much more than that.

So back to God. Yes, he presents himself to us a the Father and Son and Holy Spirit, but what does that mean? Are those roles that he plays in reference to us or is that his true nature as he sees himself? I don't know. I suspect it's not important. God chose to present himself to us in this manner so that's enough for us, at least while we live in the flesh.
You said................
" I don't know. I suspect it's not important. God chose to present himself to us in this manner so that's enough for us, at least while we live in the flesh."

That is what I would say as well.

There many, many Bible doctrines. I am not posting this as a TEST or something to be argued. Just a way to get you to think!

Personally, I believe that the doctrine of the TRINITY is the most important and basic Bible doctrine.
Now PLEASE, PLEASE do not post that the word TRINITY is not in the Bible so it can not be a Bible doctrine. That is for another thread and is not pertinent to this one.

From Scripture we learn that God, by nature is a Triune Being or Trinity. The subject of the Trinity is holy ground because it discusses the nature of the one, true, God. Consequently we should approach the subject with all humility and reverence.

The doctrine of the Trinity is embedded in the Scriptures from Genesis to Revelation. It is ingrained in the very fabric of
Scripture.

IN the beginning, In Genesis, we have God making the world, the Spirit hovering over the water, and God speaking to create. In this, we can observe God the Father and the Spirit, as well as even the Son as the Word which God speaks (cf. Ps 33:6; Jhn 1:1-2 & Colossians 1:16).

In the end, without the Trinity, you can’t have the Day of the Lord in 2 Thessalonians 2. That judgment comes when the Holy Spirit, the restrainer, is removed, and God the Father sends a deluding influence so that they will not believe the Son. Likewise, the very courtroom scene of heaven, which inaugurates the end of history (Rev 4-5), showcases how the Father honors the Son as the King whose ministry is anointed by the Spirit (Rev 1:4; 5:6-8). In the end, the triune God will rule the New Heavens and Earth and receive worship (Rev 22:3; cf. 1:4). All of this shows that these members are all co-equal and thereby one, for there is only one God (cf. Deut 6:4). At the same time, they are distinct persons. The end of history unveils the full glory of the triune Godhead. The Trinity is as important at the end as it was in the beginning.
All the doctrines are indispensable, but if I must choose one, it would be Soteriology, without which nothing in the creation would be redeemed, including human beings.

All the doctrines are indispensable, but if I must choose one, it would be Soteriology, without which nothing in the creation would be redeemed, including human beings.
Just as question.......I in fact agree, but if we do not accept the Trinity, in which the SON is part, would there then be any salvation at all????

One can think of salvation as provided by the three divine persons in three logically ordered steps.

First, God the Father sends His only begotten Son into the world to save sinners So the Father initiates salvation.

Second, God the Son, dies in the place of sinners on the cross. Just before His death Jesus proclaimed His soteriological accomplishment by saying: “It is finished” (John 19:30). So the Son achieves salvation.

Third, God the Holy Spirit, convicts sin regenerating hearts and enabling people to confess Christ as Lord.
So the Holy Spirit employs salvation.

So then.....is that not all possible only through belief in the Trinity?

Just as question.......I in fact agree, but if we do not accept the Trinity, in which the SON is part, would there then be any salvation at all????

One can think of salvation as provided by the three divine persons in three logically ordered steps.

First, God the Father sends His only begotten Son into the world to save sinners So the Father initiates salvation.

Second, God the Son, dies in the place of sinners on the cross. Just before His death Jesus proclaimed His soteriological accomplishment by saying: “It is finished” (John 19:30). So the Son achieves salvation.

Third, God the Holy Spirit, convicts sin regenerating hearts and enabling people to confess Christ as Lord.

I agree that Trinity belief is essential for a genuine relationship with God. As I said, all doctrines are important, and without a single one of them, the Christian faith would cease to exist in its true form. I really can't say that one is more important than the others. No true follower of Christ would deny the truth of the Trinity.

I agree that Trinity belief is essential for a genuine relationship with God. As I said, all doctrines are important, and without a single one of them, the Christian faith would cease to exist in its true form. I really can't say that one is more important than the others. No true follower of Christ would deny the truth of the Trinity.
Thanks and I agree. It just seems to me that there has to be a starting place.

I agree and that is an excellent choice.

However, recall that Jesus is the 2nd Person of the Trinity. Would you then agree that there must be a Trinity for there to be a Son of God to believe in????
Well. If you want to play with dem dar marbles, howz 'bout 'God' as the most important doctrine since that word includes da Trinity? lol

This is becoming the chicken or the egg situation.

This is about more than the Trinity or Triune nature of God. This is how we were made in His image, i.e. we were made with a triune nature as well. I think this "image" is the triune nature. We have the soul, body and spirit as our triuneness. Now ours is not holy since our body is corrupted by sin. And this would be why sin must be wiped out by shedding of blood. The life of the body is in the blood, so blood is the payment for the corruption of the body. So I believe the most important doctrine for us humans is the substitution of Jesus as payment for out sins. His blood covers our debt. AAAAAAAAAAAmen!

Greetings LearningToLetGo,

There are a variety of explanations as to why there is a plurality in Genesis 1:26. Please note firstly that the next verse does not say "they", but "He".
Genesis 1:26–27 (KJV): 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Of the number of suggestions, I prefer the suggestion that the One God was talking to the Angels and inviting them to participate in the creation of man in the image and likeness of God and the Angels. I suggest that David confirms this when he summarises Genesis 1:26-27 in the following:
Psalm 8:4–6 (KJV): 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? 5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels (Hebrew Elohim), and hast crowned him with glory and honour. 6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
David uses the framework and language of the Genesis creation to speak of the New Creation, which is centred in Jesus, who was made a little lower than the Angels.

Kind regards
Trevor

You know my position on the trinity so I'll leave that alone. I was encouraged to read your post on the 'let us create'.
Of course God uses his creation as agents in what he is doing, for He didn't create them for nothing... He uses man to spread the gospel and do His work. In the garden He commissioned Adam to do. As I have stated, God established laws to frame creation and of course Lucifer being the great being he was must have been very familiar with the working of these laws (as science is working in that direction) as so as man is an agent on earth so must the heavenly host (spiritual beings) been an agent in the development of our (lower order) natural realm. For how could Lucifer have thought that he had 'better idea' for creation if he would have been an inactive agent? So when God said 'let us' he was making reference to His act of creation in a 'corporate' sence.
TrevorL I believe we are on the same page.

Back