Senior vs Young Christians - Are We Encouraging or Holding Back?

At our church, anyone can volunteer to sing "Special Music" it can be whatever song the singer wants (Christian). This week I will be singing "Till the storm passes over."

Karaoke is the new campfire
At church you aren't allowed to choose the songs the 'worship team' always hog the selection. I like when it's spontaneous and you can do requests.
I don't know why, if singing is a huge part of church services, theres not much attention being paid to what people actually LIKE to sing. I also don't understand why all churches seem to have 'praise bands' instead of choirs.

I can never figure out why churches are the way they are, but I suppose its traditions and what the majority generation of those-in-charge like to do.

Back in 1996 the Church we attended formed it’s first ever worship team. Back then they used a projector slide and cassettes from the sound system. lol! 😄 They prayed 3 years for a guitarist until my wife and I started attending. I was a guitar player.

We also had a choir besides the newly formed worship team. During the opening of the order of worship the praise and worship would play followed by the choir with a hymn or two. There were times when both would sing together. For our Church it worked out great until the young adult members were upset and accused the praise team of not allowing the congregation to select songs. Then we learned the middle and elderly members and some in the choir felt the praise team was taking over. This went on for awhile and was never brought up until we attended a leaders retreat.

During the retreat the issue of the music ministry came up. One of the senior choir members, a long time patriarch gave a moving argument how it seemed the praise team was taking over. It was also brought up how some of the young adults were upset because the praise team selected all the songs. The discussion became intense and this was the first time the pastor and his staff learned about. I was a deacon at the time and served in the music ministry.

I was a fairly new member in our Church (2 years) and was blown away at witnessing the adult leaders talking this way. So I was given the opportunity to speak and made clear the choir was the first music ministry in our Church since 1958. They are the nucleus of this ministry and 38 years later the praise team expanded the ministry’s new directions.

Some of the choir leaders were touched because they just didn’t feel appreciated after 38 years of serving. As far as the young adults who wanted to sing songs of praising God, I asked two other leaders from the praise team, let’s encourage the congregants anytime to give their suggestion requests.

The discussion at the retreat was a co-production effort and talking about it bonded the leadership as we took this new approach back to Church. Not only that but the Choir Director and other leaders of the choir felt loved and appreciated.

As far as karaoke, when the church we planted in 2011 formed it’s worship ministry it consisted of 4 gifted singers, all were experienced in singing parts (tenor, soprano, alto and baritone) used a karaoke machine with cds of pre recorded Christian music. The good part is the studio musicians on the cd never argued! lol! In the next 2 years the Lord sent His musicians to serve.

As a younger Christian I learned it’s easy to divide between Senior and Young Christians in the Church. But bemoaning behind the Church’s back doesn’t escape God. Any member is encouraged to address the pastor or staff.

The same thing goes in the family, community and work. I don’t have fun bringing up sensitive issues to others, whatever age, but when I have to develops good, not perfect, discipline and builds up transparency.

Love in Christ.
Bob

That sounds like the way to do it.
Some churches don't invite people on retreat or want suggestions or invite feedback, or they just get rebuffed and told no all the time. After a few years of this people don't want to go back if the elders just aren't listening to what young people are concerned about or bothering to ask them for their input.
It's not that young people don't appreciate traditions either, it's just nobody's ever really explained to them why they are important to carry on maybe. Its like that in most organisations (we do things this way because its the way it's always been done! and we don't like change)

That sounds like the way to do it.
Some churches don't invite people on retreat or want suggestions or invite feedback, or they just get rebuffed and told no all the time. After a few years of this people don't want to go back if the elders just aren't listening to what young people are concerned about or bothering to ask them for their input.
It's not that young people don't appreciate traditions either, it's just nobody's ever really explained to them why they are important to carry on maybe. Its like that in most organisations (we do things this way because its the way it's always been done! and we don't like change)

Speaking for myself and continuous discussion with other Church members and leaders, it’s unfortunate these issues are ongoing and the problems go beyond that. The smaller the Church the problems become emotional because everyone knows everyone. The larger the Church the bigger the problems combined with many who don’t know who you are.

When a Church doesn’t listen to the member the Pastor should make every effort to know the growth and concerns of God’s flock, or delegate to his staff to share the growth and be a listening ear to the member.

Retreats are healthy when an all member (family,) men, women, or leaders gathering takes place.

The whole goal is bringing the Church together as One, make each body part a part and contributing their thoughts, prayer requests, and talents to help with the ministry regardless of age. Everyone matters.

When a Church isn’t making these efforts then God’s command isn’t given heed. Every believer is important in ministry to others and this includes communication whether correct, misunderstanding, questions, suggestions in pursuing solutions.

Those who can't afford to go on retreat often miss out.
Some churches do women's and men's only retreats, which defeat the purpose as it means it splits up families.

Schools all need to do school camps and balls (dances, discos) but cost is a factor, and it is sad if someone can't go because they just can't afford. I was at a school where they put on a 3 day camp FOR FREE for year 6s. So they could all go.

This is when churches really do need to step up and pay it forward, especially wealthier members who can afford to host those less well off. Otherwise it just becomes this 'in group' thing. Or the guests and visitors just get told to do the jobs nobody else wants to do to pay their way, like cleaning the toilets. I went on one church camp where my group was on bathroom/janitor duty the whole time and it was my first camp.

I mean I'm not complaining, just saying, that the leaders would probably would not be on that duty. But to put a new person on it who've just joined and dump all jobs on them seemed rude.

Those who can't afford to go on retreat often miss out.
Some churches do women's and men's only retreats, which defeat the purpose as it means it splits up families.

Schools all need to do school camps and balls (dances, discos) but cost is a factor, and it is sad if someone can't go because they just can't afford. I was at a school where they put on a 3 day camp FOR FREE for year 6s. So they could all go.

This is when churches really do need to step up and pay it forward, especially wealthier members who can afford to host those less well off. Otherwise it just becomes this 'in group' thing. Or the guests and visitors just get told to do the jobs nobody else wants to do to pay their way, like cleaning the toilets. I went on one church camp where my group was on bathroom/janitor duty the whole time and it was my first camp.

I mean I'm not complaining, just saying, that the leaders would probably would not be on that duty. But to put a new person on it who've just joined and dump all jobs on them seemed rude.
hello, bobinfaith or anyone....What is a christian retreat and what do you do there ?
A retreat is usually once a year when either the family, men, women or leaders “pull the plug” from the daily routine, tasks, and go away for a time away in a forest, hotel or somewhere remote for a time of prayer, fellowship, unwinding and getting refreshed before getting back to the routine of life and ministry.

The cost factor for a retreat is not a factor. If an individual cannot afford a scholarship or benevolence is given to cover the cost. Usually a retreat is very inexpensive. The bigger picture is getting refreshed with God. Jesus did this when He retreated by Himself for long periods of time.

Some churches only did retreats for leaders. Or they had children's camps but never told those who were not children that they could go on them as helpers. Or it was only women but sometimes they had conferences which were expensive in that they charged for meals when they should have been included. I remember going on one womens conference, it was so expensive to get tickets and then we were charged for a cup of tea.

Also transport to get there was not offered. For those who don't drive or don't have a car, they can't go if nobody offers transport.

I remember one christian music festival I went on, was like over $100 for 3 days, I was a poor student back then it was a LOT of money, and when I got there, some of the teenagers were incredibly racist like they had never seen an asian teenager before in 'their' part of the woods. I was treated like a foreigner who didn't belong and often get asked where I am from as if I couldn't be born in the country.

I think churches have their cliques and 'in groups' just like schools and workplaces do so I guess there's always been that thing between clergy and laity I think it's called.

Usually the elders because they have been there the longest lord it over the newbies, and of course if you are new you want to fit in, just like in any group. It doesn't help if you happen to look different from everyone else.

I think churches have their cliques and 'in groups' just like schools and workplaces do so I guess there's always been that thing between clergy and laity I think it's called.

Usually the elders because they have been there the longest lord it over the newbies, and of course if you are new you want to fit in, just like in any group. It doesn't help if you happen to look different from everyone else.
It seems to me that your experiences with churches is rather limited. Every thing you post is rather negitive or not informed.

People in churches are just like your family members. When you gather for a meal the same people uselly wind up sitting together and that is normal.........NOT a "clique".

I can honestly say that I can not relate to most of the things you say and I have been in the church business for 50 years.

Speaking for myself and continuous discussion with other Church members and leaders, it’s unfortunate these issues are ongoing and the problems go beyond that. The smaller the Church the problems become emotional because everyone knows everyone. The larger the Church the bigger the problems combined with many who don’t know who you are.

When a Church doesn’t listen to the member the Pastor should make every effort to know the growth and concerns of God’s flock, or delegate to his staff to share the growth and be a listening ear to the member.

Retreats are healthy when an all member (family,) men, women, or leaders gathering takes place.

The whole goal is bringing the Church together as One, make each body part a part and contributing their thoughts, prayer requests, and talents to help with the ministry regardless of age. Everyone matters.

When a Church isn’t making these efforts then God’s command isn’t given heed. Every believer is important in ministry to others and this includes communication whether correct, misunderstanding, questions, suggestions in pursuing solutions.
Agreed!

I am having trouble understanding the complaint here from Lanolin.

As a church......when we offered a trip to a camp or anywhere else, the ones who could and wanted to pay did and the rest were paid for by the church.

The idea was "fellowship" focused around God with like minded believers.

At our church, anyone can volunteer to sing "Special Music" it can be whatever song the singer wants (Christian). This week I will be singing "Till the storm passes over."
We do the very same thing!

Out music minister has in the bullitine every week a request for volunteer to perform!

Back