Senior vs Young Christians - Are We Encouraging or Holding Back?

i am not big on the Charismatic movement. the raising of the hands in songs i have no problem with. even a little Holyghost led dance . what ever is done will be doe decently in order. i was at a Gospel singing seen a gal start a dance. i thought she was going to knock her self out,, from all the bouncing up and down.. the contemporary music i like certain groups and certain songs.
my personal preference is southern Gospel. over the years we have seen several groups .. i think what it comes down to is preference .
I've always leaned towards the Folk and Ballads type music but that's a bit rough to dance to. lol

I think in terms of worship I'm more likely to experience worship outside than in a church setting but it really depends where the wind of the Holy Spirit is and often we can't say well its going to be here at he same time at the same place at this hour when we all stand up and sit down at the same time. Because not everyone will always be of 'one accord' like they were in the upper room at Pentecost.

Artificially conjuring up a worship experience is not going to happen though ... however stifling it is also bad. We are told not to quench the Holy Spirit but there will be people who put a wet blanket on anything.

the pastor was out of line gentle or not paul wrote about lifting holy hands in prayer .. i will say this especially with certain Baptist. there scared the service will be Pentecostal. if you feel the need to lift your hands in worship so be it

i have been in services where the grannies shouted all over the church ..is that emotionalism or spirit

Hello forgiven;

If the grannies feel led to shout to the Lord then I feel your discernment and wisdom will tell if it's emotionalism or spiritual.

I've attended Pentecostal, Catholic, and even a Hindu service. I don't recall being intimidated but was curious what to experience in the service.

The Pentecostal service did an entire calling to the platform (stage) and everyone shouted in tongues. I had no idea what the "Message" was to God or what the prophecy was being given reference 1 Corinthians 14: 2-6.

When I attended the Catholic Mass I didn't participate in the responses and prayers (Hail Mary) but when I responded with an Amen to the Priest's homily the nuns turned around at me as if my response was not accepted during Mass.

At the Hindu service (I went as a guest of my neighbor.) I really felt a "spirit" not of Christ. They didn't have powerpoint or streaming back then, only projector slides. When they displayed a little pink or blue man I knew for sure this was not God and never returned.

Years later I learned to be respectful in their house but I didn't pay heed to their to rituals or beliefs.

Yes, I agree with you, forgiven. Even in the Christian Church the pastor was out of line but he recognized his error and they worked it out.

God bless
you, brother.

If the grannies feel led to shout to the Lord then I feel your discernment and wisdom will tell if it's emotionalism or spiritual.
i been to Pentecostal services like you seen and heard a lot of things.. catholics no experience other than a funeral hundu not sure i would go.
my whole point on shouting lifting of hands its all Bible if its of God it will be known . as Baptist so many fight against Pentecostals. i know 2 men that was raised southern Baptist that went Pentecostal took the call to preach. another man i know pretty sure he is missionary or Southern.. 2 of his kids are Pentecostals/apostolic 1 is a pastor . i would hope a Baptist and Pentecostal could learn to sit in the same service and Just worship in truth and spirit.

in the Church i pastor a woman had to move her soon to be 93 year old mother in with her. her father passed away. i talked to her again she said its different she has always been Pentecostal and we are Baptist.. i am not Pentecostal nor am i sold out Baptist. but i try every service to speak to her. in preaching i just preach the word i dont brow beat other denoms. UNLESS they are totally fake i like what a former pastor use to say.. the name tag denomination will either fall off going up or burn off going down. . i had rather mine fall off than burn off.

i fear in denoms of those truly born again. we lose sight of 2 things. 1. who the Church really is. 2. it has many members and we need to find our place in the body thumb finger eye foot knee cap etc.. God correct me if i ever stand up and say i have the correct way other than Jesus .

whose Church did Jesus say he would build up on this rock?

i been to Pentecostal services like you seen and heard a lot of things.. catholics no experience other than a funeral hundu not sure i would go. my whole point on shouting lifting of hands its all Bible if its of God it will be known . as Baptist so many fight against Pentecostals. i know 2 men that was raised southern Baptist that went Pentecostal took the call to preach. another man i know pretty sure he is missionary or Southern.. 2 of his kids are Pentecostals/apostolic 1 is a pastor . i would hope a Baptist and Pentecostal could learn to sit in the same service and Just worship in truth and spirit. in the Church i pastor a woman had to move her soon to be 93 year old mother in with her. her father passed away. i talked to her again she said its different she has always been Pentecostal and we are Baptist.. i am not Pentecostal nor am i sold out Baptist. but i try every service to speak to her. in preaching i just preach the word i dont brow beat other denoms. UNLESS they are totally fake i like what a former pastor use to say.. the name tag denomination will either fall off going up or burn off going down. . i had rather mine fall off than burn off. i fear in denoms of those truly born again. we lose sight of 2 things. 1. who the Church really is. 2. it has many members and we need to find our place in the body thumb finger eye foot knee cap etc.. God correct me if i ever stand up and say i have the correct way other than Jesus . whose Church did Jesus say he would build up on this rock?

Hello forgiven;

Amen, brother.

When I was younger I would not have said or written this because I didn't know any better. This is why it's so important that we who have reached our elderly years in ministry take what God has entrusted and blessed us in our ministries. So we can pass on and raise future servants no matter where God has appointed us.

Last Sunday a young Youth Pastor just moved here from Oklahoma and gave the sermon. He has only been here 3 weeks. He has a calm spirit, was respectful to the old folks and bonded with the younger ones. My 19 year old nephew was blown away when he learned the Pastor is only 24 years old, 5 years older than him.

Praise God for hope in the future of His Church.

Hello forgiven;

I've attended Pentecostal, Catholic, and even a Hindu service. I don't recall being intimidated but was curious what to experience in the service.

The Pentecostal service did an entire calling to the platform (stage) and everyone shouted in tongues. I had no idea what the "Message" was to God or what the prophecy was being given reference 1 Corinthians 14: 2-6.

When I attended the Catholic Mass I didn't participate in the responses and prayers (Hail Mary) but when I responded with an Amen to the Priest's homily the nuns turned around at me as if my response was not accepted during Mass.

At the Hindu service (I went as a guest of my neighbor.) I really felt a "spirit" not of Christ. They didn't have powerpoint or streaming back then, only projector slides. When they displayed a little pink or blue man I knew for sure this was not God and never returned.

Years later I learned to be respectful in their house but I didn't pay heed to their to rituals or beliefs.

Yes, I agree with you, forgiven. Even in the Christian Church the pastor was out of line but he recognized his error and they worked it out.

God bless
you, brother.
From what I have read, it seems that I did not correctly explain what I meant to say.

Saying amen, shouting encouragement and raising hands is very acceptable and IMHO even encouraged.
I like to think of myself as a "Bapticostal"!

I have stated many times that I came out of the Pentacostal denomination and I am well aware of the process.

Nehimiah 8:6
"Then Ezra praised the LORD, the great God, and all the people shouted, “Amen! Amen!” as they lifted their hands. Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground."

Being filled with the Spirit and being excited is wonderful as long as it is done orderly and not in excess to the point where the sermon is not heard much less understood. Actually that is what Paul wrote about in his letter of correction to the Corinthians.

What I was referring to was the process of CHAOS that seems to effect some Pentacostal services. The ones I have attended had people all over the auditorium shouting in thongs, running up and down the isles and in most cases someone or two slain in the spirit lying in the floor and from the pulpit as well. There was NO interpretation at all!

Also, when I spoke of the standing I was again referring to those services where everyone is told to stand and raise there hands and chant the same words over and over for 15 or 20 minutes. That is not a response to the Holy Spirit but to a music director.

I hope this helps the understanding.

Hello Major;

You touched on part of what I was hearing from the senior members. My grandparents, Dad and Mom and the elderly members in the Church showed by example giving back to God during the offering part of the worship service. I thought it was cool and it felt good to give a dollar because I felt a part of the congregation.

There was a sad experience when we led praise and worship, (I played guitar and sang lead with the song leader) we encouraged the choir to join us in hymns like Great Is Thy Faithfulness and Don Moen's contemporary Hallelujah To The Lamb (1997). A member in the pews raised her hands and praised God with an intense emotion. The Pastor asked her after service to refrain from doing that. He was gentle but abrupt in speaking with the member. She was shocked and cried to herself coming from her Pastor.

I'll never forget that. I requested a closed door meeting with Pastor and suggested ministering to her the distinction between emotionalism and spiritualism in worship. He was a humble man and after prayer he called her back and reconciled with her. They won each other over and everyone was able to get back into praise and worship.

Churches have struggled with the spiritual versus the emotional approach to worship. This is why it begins with the elderly leaders who have gone through the years of training, serving and passing their wisdom and knowledge of spiritual worship to the younger generation. Especially those who will serve in the future. Younger believers will go about their way and how they serve God. The leaders will see this and must nurture and coach as BibleLover shared.

These last weeks I have been blessed with speaking and listening to younger Christians from 13 to early 30s. I ask them to define praise and worship and what they enjoy doing in the Church. It also gives me an opportunity to answer questions that may encourage them in their growing discipleship.

God bless
you, Major.

The Ole Major spent many years teaching the difference between forced emotions and the spiritual moving of the Holy Spirit.
Forced emotions are always SELF CENTERED and Spiritual moving of the Holy Spirit is always Christ centered.

I encouraged my church to allow God to move them and if they felt the need to raise their hands, then raise their hands. If they felt the need to stand then stand!

We can talk all we want to but I can promise everyone that the elderly are very different in their expectations of a worship service.

We used to have 3. One was contemporary, on traditional and one was blended. Everyone was allowed to be in the one that they liked to experience. The traditional at 11 AM always had the elderly and it ALWAYS had the most people who gave! ALWAYS!

Last edited:
From what I have read, it seems that I did not correctly explain what I meant to say. Saying amen, shouting encouragement and raising hands is very acceptable and IMHO even encouraged. I like to think of myself as a "Bapticostal"! I have stated many times that I came out of the Pentacostal denomination and I am well aware of the process. Being filled with the Spirit and being excited is wonderful as long as it is done orderly and not in excess to the point where the sermon is not heard much less understood. Actually that is what Paul wrote about in his letter of correction to the Corinthians. What I was referring to was the process of CHAOS that seems to effect some Pentacostal services. The ones I have attended had people all over the auditorium shouting in thongs, running up and down the isles and in most cases someone or two slain in the spirit lying in the floor and from the pulpit as well. There was NO interpretation at all! Also, when I spoke of the standing I was again referring to those services where everyone is told to stand and raise there hands and chant the same words over and over for 15 or 20 minutes. That is not a response to the Holy Spirit but to a music director. I hope this helps the understanding.
The Ole Major spent many years teaching the difference between forced emotions and the spiritual moving of the Holy Spirit. Forced emotions are always SELF CENTERED and Spiritual moving of the Holy Spirit is always Christ centered. I encouraged my church to allow God to move them and if they felt the need to raise their hands, then raise their hands. If they felt the need to stand then stand! If they felt the need to build a new building.....write a check and grab a shovel!

Hello Major;

What you explained is understood, brother, and most of us in the pastoral ministry can relate. We're also hearing from all sides and how we pass our experience of hard knock ministry and teach them to the future of new servants in the Church.

I tell you the truth. What moves me is after your 50+ years in ministry God still anoints you to carry on.

God bless you and your family.

Hello Major;

What you explained is understood, brother, and most of us in the pastoral ministry can relate. We're also hearing from all sides and how we pass our experience of hard knock ministry and teach them to the future of new servants in the Church.

I tell you the truth. What moves me is after your 50+ years in ministry God still anoints you to carry on.

God bless you and your family.

Well.....I can't see well, or walk very well, but my fingers still work. I just did not want anyone to misunderstand what I was saying about the elderly and worship services. I just did not articulate very well.

One of the worst conflicts I had was when contemporary style of music and worship came into being I guess 20 years ago or so.
The elderly.......probably 300 or so just would not accept it, PERIOD! The younger group was all for it so we had to come up with a compromise or lose some of both.

Now that is not to say that ALL the elderly were against that style or vice versa. Some of both sections liked one or the other so being the wonderful Pastor I was.......we worked it out! Thank God I had a minister of music that was so adaptable!

Most of it was the EYE gate. The younger people did not like passing the offering plate. OK, we sat up a couple of tables at the door with a basket and took it down at 11 AM.

The younger set did not like a choir, OK we came up with a drummer, guitar player and trumpet player along with the organ and piano.

Just goofy stuff like that!

i can agree with that and i have seen people try to work the spirit up

Hey forgiven;

When I attended a men's retreat almost 30 years ago about 3 pastors gathered around me and put their hands on my stomach. I didn't know any better. They were going to pray and induce the Holy Spirit to come up and out of my mouth so I could develop tongues. Seriously?

Lesson. Don't allow men to "false teach" me by laying hands on my stomach. Only my wife can touch me there. lol!

Hey forgiven;

When I attended a men's retreat almost 30 years ago about 3 pastors gathered around me and put their hands on my stomach. I didn't know any better. They were going to pray and induce the Holy Spirit to come up and out of my mouth so I could develop tongues. Seriously?

Lesson. Don't allow men to "false teach" me by laying hands on my stomach. Only my wife can touch me there. lol!

When I was a teenager, the pastor of my dads church gave speaking in tongues "lessons"! When I was saved, the 1st thing they asked me to do was to prove I was saved by speaking in tongues. When I didnt, I was told I had to take the class to learn how to do it.

When I was a teenager, the pastor of my dads church gave speaking in tongues "lessons"! When I was saved, the 1st thing they asked me to do was to prove I was saved by speaking in tongues. When I didnt, I was told I had to take the class to learn how to do it.
tongues is a gift of the spirit.. given by the spirit. just like any other gift

Sounds like the flesh to me.
ya think i have seen it i was in a Baptist church a man jumped up and said i feel the holy ghost. he then tried to get a seasoned minister to follow suit with him in actions. the minister did not move and the man soon sat down,

i am all for shouting raising hands saying amen. even if a person has spell and takes of running.. best make sure its of the spirit.[ i have been in anointed quite services. there was no doubt the spirit was moving. i been in rather loud services that was no doubt of God. the old timers use to have tent revivals and brush harbor revivals. the stories i heard it was very spiritual

i wont go any farther of the other things i have seen. due to the fact it might kick the golden cow over.. i have seen flesh and i have seen spirit..

Back