Revelation

Mary is not deity. She is a blessed woman who submitted to the will of God---just as we need to do. She is blessed among women, not above women. We appreciate her and call her blessed, but we are not to be religious about it and place her above anyone. Jesus didn't, and neither should we.

It insults the King to exalt a human being.

Mary is not deity. She is a blessed woman who submitted to the will of God---just as we need to do. She is blessed among women, not above women. We appreciate her and call her blessed, but we are not to be religious about it and place her above anyone. Jesus didn't, and neither should we.

No one claimed she was a deity.

As for being blessed among women or blessed above women, I don't see what the effect of that difference would be? If you are suggesting that she is blessed and so is every other woman, then what would be the point of the passage? If you are saying she is blessed and other women are not that puts her in a privileged position.

Unless I missed something, which is possible, nobody is disrespecting Mary.

It is my opinion that called the Mother of God, as Euphemia says, "a human being who submitted to the will of God", which is in effect calling her a pawn is disrespectful. She was a blessed human being who was chosen by God to bring Christ into the world and act as His earthly mother which warrants her respect.

No one claimed she was a deity.

As for being blessed among women or blessed above women, I don't see what the effect of that difference would be? If you are suggesting that she is blessed and so is every other woman, then what would be the point of the passage? If you are saying she is blessed and other women are not that puts her in a privileged position.

She had a special purpose. That is why she is set apart as spoken in the message from Gabriel. Other than that, she was a normal wife and mother and was a sinner in need of the Saviour.

It is my opinion that called the Mother of God, as Euphemia says, "a human being who submitted to the will of God", which is in effect calling her a pawn is disrespectful. She was a blessed human being who was chosen by God to bring Christ into the world and act as His earthly mother which warrants her respect.

What is disrespectful about Mary's purpose?

I also didn't say anything about exalting her... Gabriel the Archangel did! "Hail Mary..." that is a term of reverence and exaltation.

What is disrespectful about Mary's purpose?

Its the way you describe her Euphemia. I honor her because she was the Mother of Christ, and He honored her per Jewish law. Since I imitate Christ, I will honor her as well and also honor my parents. It is disrespectful to suggest that Mary was just-another-woman.

Its the way you describe her Euphemia. I honor her because she was the Mother of Christ, and He honored her per Jewish law. Since I imitate Christ, I will honor her as well and also honor my parents. It is disrespectful to suggest that Mary was just-another-woman.

I honour her as Jesus' earthly mother, and as a woman who submitted to God's will. It is disrespectful to God to revere her as anything other than that. She was a normal, God-fearing woman who was a wife and mother of Jesus' day. She had the distinct blessing and honour to be the one who bore and raised the Son of God. She was also a sinner saved by grace, just like every other sinner saved by grace.

Religiosity elevates her and others beyond appropriate.

I honour her as Jesus' earthly mother, and as a woman who submitted to God's will. It is disrespectful to God to revere her as anything other than that. She was a normal, God-fearing woman who was a wife and mother of Jesus' day. She had the distinct blessing and honour to be the one who bore and raised the Son of God. She was also a sinner saved by grace, just like every other sinner saved by grace.

Religiosity elevates her and others beyond appropriate.

Whatever, say what you want. Its disrespectful, but I it would be worse for me to continue this bickering with you who cannot see past her own narrow view of the world.

Whatever, say what you want. Its disrespectful, but I it would be worse for me to continue this bickering with you who cannot see past her own narrow view of the world.

Your insult is noted. It is a rudeness typical of those who hold fast to religion.

Re: Mary: She is our sister in Christ, a sinner saved by grace, the same as we are. She is not the mother of God, but the mother of the man, Jesus. She is worthy of praise for her submission to the holy purpose of God in and through her.
How could Mary be sinful if Jesus, who was without sin, sprang from her?

She was a normal person, with a sin nature. That doesn't mean that her womb was tainted with sin and that it would somehow rub off on the Lord. That is religious thinking and not based in understanding.
I'm afraid there is NO Biblical basis for what you are saying.

Back