Pastor doesn't want members praying or reading bible together

Brother, what happened when the devil quoted scripture to Jesus in his temptation? (Luke 4:10-11) The devil quoted scripture word for word, but it did not do him any good as he had no revelation to its meaning, and that is what the problem is as it takes the Word of God to interpret scripture.

Because we are sinners, we are incapable of interpreting God’s Word perfectly all of the time. The body, mind, will, and emotions are affected by sin and make 100% interpretive accuracy impossible. This does not mean that accurate understanding of God’s Word is impossible. But it does mean that we need to approach His word with care, humility, and reason. Additionally, we need, as best as can be had, the guidance of the Holy Spirit in interpreting God’s Word. After all, the Bible is inspired by God and is addressed to His people. The Holy Spirit helps us to understand what God’s Word means and how to apply it.

He is simply bringing attention to the difference between the Word, Jesus and the word, the scriptures, which, without Holy Spirit to enliven it to our hearts and minds as truth and rhema from God Himself, then it is just text.

Not so at all. He is saying that the Bible "contains" the Word of God. There is a huge difference in that and saying the Bible IS the Word of God.

Brother, if someone had spoken these things me a couple days ago I would thought they were "crazy", and did no know what they were talking about. I am very very committed to what the scriptures says, and no one could ever get me to change my mind except for God himself. I have always believed for almost 40 years that the Bible was the Word of God, or contained the Word of God. This is a very big change for me, and I do not take it lightly. If it was not for the Word of God coming to me and saying that scripture is not the Word of God in its living active state, and that the "scriptures" prove that I would in no way believe it.
I knew I would get a lot of feed back if I mentioned this on the forum, and those who know me would probably think I have gone over a cliff. :) That is OK with me and I do not expect every one to grasp this as it is not easy to understand with our minds. There has only been one other time in my Christian walk were I questioned God in what he has spoken to me, but he was merciful to me in my disbelief as he has continually confirmed his Word to me through scriptures, which I am so grateful for.

Personally I wish someone had not spoken these things to you a couple of days ago!!!!!

He is simply bringing attention to the difference between the Word, Jesus and the word, the scriptures, which, without Holy Spirit to enliven it to our hearts and minds as truth and rhema from God Himself, then it is just text.

Well here is only 3 of many things said that does not back it up

The Bible does not contain the Word of God, it containsscripture that testifies about Jesus Christ. Scripture, and the Word of God are not the same thing. POST # 112

You can not search the Word of God because God who is the Word can not be searched, but the scriptures can be. POST 142

It is not what was said years ago, but what God is saying to us right now. The Word of God never has a past tense associated to it as it iseternal, and is not subject to time or space. Post 146....

God Bless you

Brother, what happened when the devil quoted scripture to Jesus in his temptation? (Luke 4:10-11) The devil quoted scripture word for word, but it did not do him any good as he had no revelation to its meaning, and that is what the problem is as it takes the Word of God to interpret scripture.
Brother this is once again a huge stretch for you.
satan started off with hath God not said ...........
Scriptures are the word of God
- they are fact written words of God that God said write down.
It takes being born again - born of the incorruptible seed - the everliving word of God.
Which then is housed His spirit in us. This new spirit in us which makes us new creations or new creatures in Christ opens up "Some" understanding of Gods written word and we need to grow in Christ as we seek God for more in-depth understanding of His written word and yes the Holy Spirit has His part in it too.

Blessings unto you bro
Jim

The Bible does not contain the Word of God, it containsscripture that testifies about Jesus Christ. Scripture, and the Word of God are not the same thing. POST # 112

You can not search the Word of God because God who is the Word can not be searched, but the scriptures can be. POST 142

It is not what was said years ago, but what God is saying to us right now. The Word of God never has a past tense associated to it as it iseternal, and is not subject to time or space. Post 146....

God Bless you
Brother show me any where in scripture that says "scripture is the Word of God". Show anywhere in scripture that says "search the Word of God"
God is NEVER past tense, as he is always now. Jesus said that all scripture testifies about himself (Jesus). The "word of God" is alive, active and sharper than any two edged sword, and there is nothing hidden from his sight. If this is what is in the Bible, than all we need to do is open the Bible up, and set it on our coffee table, and let the Word of God do his thing. Unfortunately this is not true, as scripture is useless without the Word of God bringing it to life. The Pharisees read the scriptures all the time, but it did not do them any good. Why? Because they refused to hear the "Word of God" that gives interpretation, and life to scriptures.
All and every single verse in the Bible also known as "scripture" which testifies and points to Jesus Christ as the Son of God. This is what it was suppose to do.
As a believer where exactly does the "Word of God" live? In the Bible or inside the believer? The "Word of God" lives and dwells inside a child of God which is exactly where scriptures points to. "We all with open face beholding as in a mirror the Glory of God as changed into the same image from Glory to Glory......."(2 Cor 3:18) Whose face do you see in a "mirror"? Your own face, but what we see is Jesus Christ living inside us, who just so happens to be the living, active, all seeing " Word of God"!!! Who pointed this out to us? Scriptures. Where did it come from? Jesus (the Word of God) came down from above to live inside us, through the power of the Holy Ghost, not from the pages in a book.

2Co 13:5.. Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Did any of the Apostles ever give a three page pamphlet of scriptures to those as a means of proclaiming the Gospel? Proclaiming the Gospel is only done through the Word of mouth. Where did they get the "Word of God" to proclaim? It came from inside the place where the Word of God dwells which is inside the believer!!!
Is not Jesus Christ who is in us the active living Word of God? Yes!!! When we speak are we not suppose to speak the very Words of God because that is where Jesus speaks from. Where does these words come from? Inside the believer. What if we simply proclaim the scriptures, what will that do? It will testify, and point to Jesus Christ who they need for salvation. Where are they going get that from? Inside the only place where the "Word of God" dwells which is inside the child of God.
The Apostle John wrote the entire Gospel of John for what purpose?

John 20:31.. But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

This is exactly what scripture is suppose to do, which is point to Jesus Christ, and to testify of him!!

Last edited:

God Bless you
Quibbling over words is not God-honouring. We know exactly what a person is saying when he says he is searching the word. Capitalizing it denotes Jesus, the Person who is the Word of God.

Some people (including me, in the past) capitalize it to indicate the scriptures, too...but we can gather the intentional meaning without any trouble.

Quibbling over words is not God-honouring. We know exactly what a person is saying when he says he is searching the word. Capitalizing it denotes Jesus, the Person who is the Word of God.

Some people (including me, in the past) capitalize it to indicate the scriptures, too...but we can gather the intentional meaning without any trouble.
What are you rambling about mam ? Nothing was said in the post you quoted about cap letters. I am done with this silly topic.
Be blessed
Jim......Edit Add In........Rambling simply means going on with. It is not an insult......Just wanted to make sure you did not take it other wise. God Bless...Yes mam I could have simply changed the word instead of writing this add in but I truly hate it when people do that. You reply and then they change what they said.......to me that is rude so I write edit add in........Have a blessed day sister ;)

Last edited:
Brother show me any where in scripture that says "scripture is the Word of God". Show anywhere in scripture that says "search the Word of God"
God is NEVER past tense, as he is always now. Jesus said that all scripture testifies about himself (Jesus). The "word of God" is alive, active and sharper than any two edged sword, and there is nothing hidden from his sight. If this is what is in the Bible, than all we need to do is open the Bible up, and set it on our coffee table, and let the Word of God do his thing. Unfortunately this is not true, as scripture is useless without the Word of God bringing it to life. The Pharisees read the scriptures all the time, but it did not do them any good. Why? Because they refused to hear the "Word of God" that gives interpretation, and life to scriptures.
All and every single verse in the Bible also known as "scripture" which testifies and points to Jesus Christ as the Son of God. This is what it was suppose to do.
As a believer where exactly does the "Word of God" live? In the Bible or inside the believer? The "Word of God" lives and dwells inside a child of God which is exactly where scriptures points to. "We all with open face beholding as in a mirror the Glory of God as changed into the same image from Glory to Glory......."(2 Cor 3:18) Whose face do you see in a "mirror"? Your own face, but what we see is Jesus Christ living inside us, who just so happens to be the living, active, all seeing " Word of God"!!! Who pointed this out to us? Scriptures. Where did it come from? Jesus (the Word of God) came down from above to live inside us, through the power of the Holy Ghost, not from the pages in a book.

2Co 13:5.. Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Did any of the Apostles ever give a three page pamphlet of scriptures to those as a means of proclaiming the Gospel? Proclaiming the Gospel is only done through the Word of mouth. Where did they get the "Word of God" to proclaim? It came from inside the place where the Word of God dwells which is inside the believer!!!
Is not Jesus Christ who is in us the active living Word of God? Yes!!! When we speak are we not suppose to speak the very Words of God because that is where Jesus speaks from. Where does these words come from? Inside the believer. What if we simply proclaim the scriptures, what will that do? It will testify, and point to Jesus Christ who they need for salvation. Where are they going get that from? Inside the only place where the "Word of God" dwells which is inside the child of God.
The Apostle John wrote the entire Gospel of John for what purpose?

John 20:31.. But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

This is exactly what scripture is suppose to do, which is point to Jesus Christ, and to testify of him!!

Brother scripture is just a name of what is written that God said.
Believe what you want sir. I am done with this silly topic. ;)
Have a great night and looking forward to the next topic. Reallllly looking forward to it.l
God Bless
Jim

Brother scripture is just a name of what is written that God said.
Believe what you want sir. I am done with this silly topic. ;)
Have a great night and looking forward to the next topic. Reallllly looking forward to it.l
God Bless
Jim
Exactly, The scriptures contain what God HAS said, but they are not the living active Word of God which is speaking right now!!

Exactly, The scriptures contain what God HAS said, but they are not the living active Word of God which is speaking right now!!

You have just confirmed what I and @jim have said several times now. I hope that @Euphemia will read YOUR words and see what is the issue at hand.

You have been talking "around" the concept of the Bible containing the Word of God. This is true in one sense, the Word of God is found in the Bible. However, this statement does not go far enough! To simply say that the Bible ``contains the Word of God'' does not exclude the Bible from containing something other than God's Word. I may hold a jug in my hand and say it contains water. But it may also contain something other than water. There may be oil, detergent, rocks or sand or any number of other things in the jug. But if I say this container holds only water and nothing but water, that excludes everything else.

It is more accurate to say that THE BIBLE IS GOD'S WORD. There is nothing in the Bible that is not God's Word. Every part of the Bible, whether it be a book, chapter, verse, word or letter, IS GOD'S WORD! No part of God's Word is found in any other book than the Bible, whether it be the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, Doctrine and Covenants, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, the Koran or any other that may claim inspiration.

The Bible claims inspiration for itself:

2 Tim. 3:16-17...........
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works''.

The Bible is the Truth and is ALL the Truth God has revealed.

2 Peter 1:3..............
"According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue''.

Since God has given unto mankind ALL THINGS that pertain unto life and godliness in the Bible, there are no things that pertain unto life and godli- ness outside the Bible!

The Psalmist recorded in Psalms 119:160.........
"Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever''.

Jesus gave his stamp of approval upon the scriptures when he said in Luke 24:44.....
"These are the words which I spake unto you...that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me''.

Instead of saying THE BIBLE CONTAINS THE WORD OF GOD we need to say the Bible IS THE WORD OF GOD.

"Contains" gives the indication that there may or may not be errors and contradictions. Something that I learned a long time ago is
your attitude towards the Word of God, is your attitude towards God.

Hebrews 4:12 does not agree with you..........
"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

I just thought of this. Would a Christian sealed with the holy spirit have anything to fear reading the Bible alone? Or in a study group without the pastor present?

You have just confirmed what I and @jim have said several times now. I hope that @Euphemia will read YOUR words and see what is the issue at hand.

You have been talking "around" the concept of the Bible containing the Word of God. This is true in one sense, the Word of God is found in the Bible. However, this statement does not go far enough! To simply say that the Bible ``contains the Word of God'' does not exclude the Bible from containing something other than God's Word. I may hold a jug in my hand and say it contains water. But it may also contain something other than water. There may be oil, detergent, rocks or sand or any number of other things in the jug. But if I say this container holds only water and nothing but water, that excludes everything else.

It is more accurate to say that THE BIBLE IS GOD'S WORD. There is nothing in the Bible that is not God's Word. Every part of the Bible, whether it be a book, chapter, verse, word or letter, IS GOD'S WORD! No part of God's Word is found in any other book than the Bible, whether it be the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, Doctrine and Covenants, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, the Koran or any other that may claim inspiration.

The Bible claims inspiration for itself:

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works''.

The Bible is the Truth and is ALL the Truth God has revealed.

2 Peter 1:3..............
"According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue''.

Since God has given unto mankind ALL THINGS that pertain unto life and godliness in the Bible, there are no things that pertain unto life and godli- ness outside the Bible!

The Psalmist recorded in Psalms 119:160.........
"Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever''.

Jesus gave his stamp of approval upon the scriptures when he said in Luke 24:44.....
"These are the words which I spake unto you...that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me''.

Instead of saying THE BIBLE CONTAINS THE WORD OF GOD we need to say the Bible IS THE WORD OF GOD.

"Contains" gives the indication that there may or may not be errors and contradictions. Something that I learned a long time ago is
your attitude towards the Word of God, is your attitude towards God.

Brother, I am so glad I have stirred up flurry of of concern lately about the scriptures being inspired by the living God which are tied closely to the Word of God that is holy and true in every aspect. The scriptures are true in every way since they are inspired by God.

Paul never called the "scriptures" the Word of God because scriptures, and the Word of God are two different things as one is "inspired" and the other is literately the living active Word of God.

“They received the word with all eagerness, daily examining the scriptures whether these things were so” (Acts 17:11).

Did this say they received the scriptures, and then searched the Word of God to see if this was true? Nobody "searches" God (except the Spirit of God) , but we can search the scriptures that have been inspired by God. The Lord God always confirms what he says to a person through his living active Word of God, with scripture. God's spiritual concepts, and laws which scripture teaches us "doctrine", through "correction, and reproof", by "instructing us in righteousness" That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works'
There is no way the Bible by it self could reveal all there is about the Lord God that is eternal. The eternal God can never be condensed down into a single book, but the Bible can teach us his principles, and concepts which point us to where we can find the "person" (The living Word of God) who holds ALL knowledge and Wisdom that can.

Last edited:
does not agree with you..........
"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."
Hebrews 4:12 does not agree with you..........
Brother, how many people do you know that know the scriptures up one side and down the other, but do not have a clue who the Word of God is, and do not know him? How can this be if you know the scriptures. If you know the scripture, you must certainly know the Word of God. Don't you think?

Brother, I am so glad I have stirred up flurry of of concern lately about the scriptures being inspired by the living God which are tied closely to the Word of God that is holy and true in every aspect. The scriptures are true in every way since they are inspired by God.

Paul never called the "scriptures" the Word of God because scriptures, and the Word of God are two different things as one is "inspired" and the other is literately the living active Word of God.

“They received the word with all eagerness, daily examining the scriptures whether these things were so” (Acts 17:11).

Did this say they received the scriptures, and then searched the Word of God to see if this was true? Nobody "searches" God, but we can search the scriptures that have been inspired by God. The Lord God always confirms what he says to a person through his living active Word of God, with scripture. God's spiritual concepts, and laws which scripture teaches us "doctrine", through "correction, and reproof", by "instructing us in righteousness" That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works'
There is no way the Bible by it self could reveal all there is about the Lord God that is eternal. The eternal God can never be condensed down into a single book, but the Bible can teach us his principles, and concepts which point us to where we can find the "person" (The living Word of God) who holds ALL knowledge and Wisdom that can.

Your comments have not stirred up a flurry of concern to me, IMO. What it has done is to have answered my personal questions on how you and I can differ on several Biblical issues in the past. Things such as women pastors, tongues and so forth.

Then, pertaining to the word of God being the written Scriptures, the phrase, “word of God,” is found forty-four times in the New Testament.

Your comments on the Word of God has answered those questions for me. As for Paul and the "Word of God" he said.........

Hebrews 4:12 ............
"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. "

Ephesians 6:17 ...........
"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God".

2 Timothy 2:15 ...........
"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. "

1 Thessalonians 2:13 ............
"And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers. "

Then it was Jesus who said in John 10:34-36............
"Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'? If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken— what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'? "

Again I say to you that if the Bible "contains" the word of God, those "contents" can then be changed by men who do not want to accept them as they are but change them so that they fit what man wants them to say. Your thinking on this Curtis is very dangerous.

Brother, how many people do you know that know the scriptures up one side and down the other, but do not have a clue who the Word of God is, and do not know him? How can this be if you know the scriptures. If you know the scripture, you must certainly know the Word of God. Don't you think?

Actually no one Curtis. I do not run with lost people or intellectual élite's. The people I know are very well aware that there is a Word of God which is the written words from God to man through men, complete and perfect with no errors and there is also the Word of God who is God's Son and is the Logos.

John 1:1-3........
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God".

In Revelation 19:13, John sees Jesus coming on a white horse to wage war with the enemies of God..........

"He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God".

Jesus' Weapon Is His Word and Jesus fights evil with His word.

To the church in Pergamum in Rev. 2:12 and Heb. 4:12.......
" Jesus referred to Himself as the one who has the two-edged sword, indicating that His word is the weapon of God".

Then in the vision of His war with the beast and the kings of the earth in Rev. 19:15, Jesus defeated them with the sword that comes from His mouth -- The Word of God.

"From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty".

Then in Rev. 19:21.......
"And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh".

Last edited:
Back