Does God Love Everyone?

What is meant by God "loving" people. Jesus, in the Sermon on the Mount, defined how God loves people and He described it as things like sunshine and rain (Mt. 5:43-48). So, in that sense, He certainly does love all people. But the Scripture also tells us that there are some people whom He hates (Pr. 6:16-19; Ps. 5:5; 11:5).

God is love. God is perfect. God's love is restrained by God's righteousness. God's providential love reaches to every corner of His creation, air, water, sun, moon are benefiting all created beings regardless of faith or no faith. The Believer (Christian) is the recipient of the fullness of God's love because the restraining force of God's attribute of perfect holiness and justice has been propitiated by the work of God the Son, Yeshua the Messiah' sacrificial death burial and resurrection, the substitutionary blood sacrifice for sin and the righteousness of God has been imputed into the Believer. The sin nature was the first great imputation given to every man but Yeshua the God Man. Without faith in this plan of God to provide the imputation of righteousness by grace thru faith, man is left to the providential love of God. I have become the object of God's omnipotent eternal love because in the wisdom of God His love found a way to forgive man, and to do it righteously. He is able to forgive man and do it righteously, the justifier remaining holy, forgiving our debt without compromising His infinite holy justice.

Cuppla things I think need comment Major.
I can't read universal salvation into that verse...into any verse for that matter.
"Who will have all men to be saved....." certainly reads a lot different from 'Who will have all men saved....'
The first speaks of desire, and the second speaks of sovereign decree.
So, I can't see how 1Tim 2:4 can be used to teach universal salvation.(sorry King J you need to rethink on this one.)

The second point is that if more people end up in hell than in heaven, that would be a victory for Satan would it not?
Jesus' teaching on the narrow and wide gates; Matt 7:12-13,14. “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.
What do you think? Is Jesus teaching from the perspective of the requirements of the Law and the Prophets, or is He teaching from the concept of Salvation through atonement by Grace?

I can not read universal salvation into 1 Tim. 2:4 either and that is why I was asking KingJ. He seemed to be saying that.

As for Jesus preaching and more being in hell than heaven. That will be a victory for Satan no matter how it is looked at.

"This is the law and the prophets" IMO indicates that the statement made here by Jesus is not intended to be unique but instead a summarization of the second table of the Law. Verses 12 is not intended to be a total summary of the teaching of Jesus and does not explain the gospel itself. It is when we see this statement in the context of everything that Jesus taught that we can grasp its true significance. The order of the gate first and then the way suggests the gate is the entrance by faith in Christ into the way of a Christlike life. I recall that the early Christians were at one time called "The Way".
So then, I think He is just stating the facts of reality.

Certainly He was 'stating the facts of reality'. How we understand those facts are the reason for study no?
To whom was Jesus talking...who were those people who first heard this teaching about narrow and wide gates? Would they have understood this teaching from the perspective of the early Church, (let's say the first century Church)?
Some passages that speak of countless numbers of saved:
Rev 7:9,10,11,12,13,14. After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, 10 and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” 11 And all the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures, and they fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, 12 saying, “Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and might be to our God forever and ever! Amen.” 13 Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, “Who are these, clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?” 14 I said to him, “Sir, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
Irrespective of our understanding of the time and nature of 'the great tribulation', we are presented with an innumerable group of people who are saved out of it.
Then also, Gen 22:15,16,17,18. And the angel of the LORD called to Abraham a second time from heaven 16 and said, “By myself I have sworn, declares the LORD, because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, 18 and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.”
Now since it is obvious Abraham did not live long enough to see this great number of offspring, he will have to wait and see them at the close of this age, at the beginning of eternity so to speak. Some blessing...to see countless billions of your offspring cast into everlasting destruction. :(
Abrahan's offspring are innumerable, those coming out of the great tribulation are innumerable. Innumerable + innumerable = 2.....Too innumerable to even be grasped by the mind of man.

Now show me Scripture that declares this vast number to be a mere handful compared to the number of those who will be/are eternally damned please.

Way back when, when I was trying to wrap my head around this question I found Ironside's response to be the best, ...along the great road humanity is traveling, off to the right there is a door, above the door is this invitation, "Whosoever will come," those that entered through that door saw this written above the door on the other side, "Foreknown before the foundation of the world," that's good enough for me.

And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh. Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. Ecc 12:12, 13

I have found that Calvinism and Arminism are like the two farthest points on a swinging pendulum, both have unanswerable questions and personally I think the answer lies in the middle between the two, that has led me to peace over this question and allows me to impartially serve people and in so doing I'm looking for that 153 fish so we can go home.

(The first time Jesus told Peter to cast his net into the sea the net was so full it broke and fish were lost (a type of going into all the world and preach the Gospel, the second time He told Peter we are told there was 153 fish, that is a type of those that will respond to the Gospel and none will be lost, all of the elect, those that God foreknew would respond, will respond to the Gospel)

Blessings,

Gene

Major, Passages like Rev 9:13,14,15,16. Then the sixth angel blew his trumpet, and I heard a voice from the four horns of the golden altar before God, 14 saying to the sixth angel who had the trumpet, “Release the four angels who are bound at the great river Euphrates.” 15 So the four angels, who had been prepared for the hour, the day, the month, and the year, were released to kill a third of mankind. 16 The number of mounted troops was twice ten thousand times ten thousand; I heard their number.
number those mounted troops who are possibly pitted against the Lord. But regardless of their loyalties, twice ten thousand times ten thousand = only 200,000,000
Two hundred Million hardly equals innumerable; in fact it is such a small number that the expression could be visualized by John's mind (and ours), whereas the others are so innumerable that the actual number would have been incomprehensible had it been given.
Again let me stress that I do not see Scripture teaching universal salvation.

Calvin,

Ten thousand times ten thousand is written in English, the Hebrews and the Greeks used Gematria to count with, their alphabet was used for numbers just like the Romans I, V, X, L, C, M, for them ten thousand times ten thousand was used to express infinity, hence the meaning of the number 666, ...when the name of the AC is revealed with their Gematria it will add up to 666, ...if that helps.

Blessings,

Gene

Way back when, when I was trying to wrap my head around this question I found Ironside's response to be the best, ...along the great road humanity is traveling, off to the right there is a door, above the door is this invitation, "Whosoever will come," those that entered through that door saw this written above the door on the other side, "Foreknown before the foundation of the world," that's good enough for me.

Blessings,

Gene
Gene, doesn't looking back from whence you came get you turned into a pillar of salt? :D

Last edited:
Calvin,

Ten thousand times ten thousand is written in English, the Hebrews and the Greeks used Gematria to count with, their alphabet was used for numbers just like the Romans I, V, X, L, C, M, for them ten thousand times ten thousand was used to express infinity, hence the meaning of the number 666, ...when the name of the AC is revealed with their Gematria it will add up to 666, ...if that helps.

Blessings,

Gene
G'day Gene, well no, not really. My point is that those horsemen are numbered at Two hundred Million. (Two hundred Million would use up a lot of hay:))
Those John saw could not be numbered, those who were/are the fruits of Abraham's promised blessing could not be numbered, suggesting vastly more than two hundred million.

King...........

1 Timothy 2:4
King James Version (KJV)
" Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth".

Am I reading your comments wrong??? ( I think that I am).

Are you advocating "universal salvation" in that in the end ALL people will be saved from the judgment?
If so, the verse in 1 Timothy will not work as a basis for that.

God certainly does not want anyone to go to hell but the fact is more will be in hell than heaven.
Haha...you did not read wrong...I literally said 'universal salvation'...but if you read my posts and the issue I am clashing with Jack on, you will see that I mean universal salvation in the sense that the universe has the 'opportunity' as opposed to only believers. I guess universal salvation only means one thing amongst scholars like you though :)...my bad.

So (Harry) Ironside is the name of that pastor… thanks, similar to a poem, a parable or an analogy can be more expressive....

Haha...you did not read wrong...I literally said 'universal salvation'...but if you read my posts and the issue I am clashing with Jack on, you will see that I mean universal salvation in the sense that the universe has the 'opportunity' as opposed to only believers. I guess universal salvation only means one thing amongst scholars like you though :)...my bad.

I got the same wrong impression. Yes, when I read your phrase "universal salvation," I think of everyone being saved. What you're talking about is the universal ability of all people to be saved. And on that point we certainly disagree. I'm glad you clarified that. Thank you for doing so.

"Scholars like me". Thanks KJ for the compliment but I am far from being a scholar. I am nothing more than an ole country boy saved by grace!

I thought that is what you meant but for claity I wanted to be sure.

Does the Bible teach that God loves everyone from Adam all the way to the last man on Earth, OR does the Bible teach that God loves some people and hates other people?

Discuss.

He loves everyone and his love works no ill for those who falsely teach hellfire. Sheol and hades is where hell was translated from. Now to know the truth in God's word, do your own learning and find out what those words really mean. It is not a hellfire nor has it ever meant such an evil thing. These false hellfire teachers turning men against the kingdom of heaven are going to be seriously repenting in their future. Don't teach against your savior. Jesus died for you to save you and all mankind. We are reconciled to God through the death of his son and because of that we will be saved. Do not listen to any man who teaches otherwise.

Last edited:
He loves everyone and his love works no ill for those who falsely teach hellfire. Sheol and hades is where hell was translated from. Now to know the truth in God's word, do your own learning and find out what those words really mean. It is not a hellfire nor has it ever meant such an evil thing. These false hellfire teachers turning men against the kingdom of heaven are going to be seriously repenting in their future. Don't teach against your savior. Jesus died for you to save you and all mankind. We are reconciled to God through the death of his son and because of that we will be saved. Do not listen to any man who teaches otherwise.

πῦρ : pyr (Greek) = fire (English)

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G4442&t=KJV

Matthew 5:22
"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Matthew 3:12
Matthew 13:42
Matthew 13:50
Matthew 25:41
Mark 9:43
Luke 3:9
Luke 3:17
John 15:6

"The devil who deceived the nation was cast into the Lake of Fire where the beast and false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night forever andever" (Rev. 20:10). Texascowgirl, I would be interested to know how you understand this passage.

9 Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand,
10 he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.
11 And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name." Revelation 14:9-11

Kurt75,
You're approaching the scriptures from the angle that provides the world with all its heresy and so I caution. Context is required in all life events, including, understanding the scriptures. When one reads a good Murder Mystery, they do not read the opening sentence, the first sentence of the middle chapter and the last sentence of the final chapter to understand and to appreciate the whole of the book. The same is true of the Bible, God's Word.

You've already been given scripture by KingJ and Major and their offerings require, not, my explanations, so I'll, for the time being, not go there. Instead I'll just try to reach the point of understanding. When I raised my name sake I was very interested in his charter development and would paddle his butt, when he erred. I hated what he had done, he did it, so I hated what was him. I still loved Him but I hated what he was at that time. This is also true of my dad, about me and yet, when I went to war, it took three weeks of drunken morning, before he leveled off to run the course, once more, he loved me without reserve and yet he had paddled my behind when he hated what I was showing signs of becoming evil.

I pray this helps but please read the entire book, it is the only way you can ever see the context.

Back