Does God Love Everyone?

Certainly. You choose it and let me know. But may I say that IF one does not properly grasp "Predestination" it will cloud almost every other Biblical doctrine.

Only going off of my understanding of predestination (I'm no expert), I agree with you. Though for the sake of learning more, I'd love for someone who does stand by predestination to perhaps help me understand better. It's certainly not a position I hold.

Only going off of my understanding of predestination (I'm no expert), I agree with you. Though for the sake of learning more, I'd love for someone who does stand by predestination to perhaps help me understand better. It's certainly not a position I hold.

I will be glad to give you any imput that I can if you would like to start up something.

Now, when you do this, please be specific. Either you reject this doctrine or you just do not know enough about it.

I will be glad to give you any imput that I can if you would like to start up something.

Now, when you do this, please be specific. Either you reject this doctrine or you just do not know enough about it.

Well I can only reject what I know. There's a chance I am rejecting bad interpretation of it. Though it's also not consistent with my faith in Catholicism. I just like knowing and learning the truth.

Well I can only reject what I know. There's a chance I am rejecting bad interpretation of it. Though it's also not consistent with my faith in Catholicism. I just like knowing and learning the truth.

I agree with you my brother, but this as are some other teaching, not a religion doctrine but a Bible one.

Does the Bible teach that God loves everyone from Adam all the way to the last man on Earth, OR does the Bible teach that God loves some people and hates other people?

Discuss.

As it is written, "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated." Romans 9:13

Before I answer the question of God hated Esau, I would like to ask you a question based on this scripture.

26 "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. Luke 14:26

Does God mean that you are to literally hate your family, members of your household?
Or, is there something more to this expression "hate".

Remember the very definition of a person that is born of God -

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 1 John 4:7

JLB

If you read the rest of Chapter 9 of Romans, you'll discover that God loved Jacob and hated Esau, BEFORE the boys had done anything good or evil. It was God's sovereignty. He is the potter and we are the clay and if He decides to make one vessel unto honor and another unto dishonor, who are we to question the sovereign work of the Lord? The passage in Luke is talking about the priority of love. If we love family more than God we are not worthly of Him.

If you read the rest of Chapter 9 of Romans, you'll discover that God loved Jacob and hated Esau, BEFORE the boys had done anything good or evil. It was God's sovereignty. He is the potter and we are the clay and if He decides to make one vessel unto honor and another unto dishonor, who are we to question the sovereign work of the Lord? The passage in Luke is talking about the priority of love. If we love family more than God we are not worthly of Him.

If we love family more than God we are not worthly of Him.

But the word hate in this verse is the same word for hate used in Romans 9: 13, where is says Esau I hated.

Same word.

Yet you correctly state what this expression means in Luke 14 is to "love less" our family, over God.

This expression is used through out the old Testament as well as the new, to express exactly what you pointed out.

It doesn't mean hate in the traditional western mindset, as we use today, but rather it means to love less.

It simple denotes a stronger affection of one over the other.

Example:

30 And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years.

31 And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated , he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren. Genesis 29:30-31

This is the meaning of the word used in context with Rachel and Leah as well as Jacob and Esau.

JLB

The Old Testament Hebrew word is different from the Greek NT term. The word is the strongest term for hatred in the Hebrew vocabulary, and God expresses that for the workers of iniquity and those who divide friends, etc. But even if you assign "love less" to the meaning of the NT Greek word, (and I don't agree that it always means that), you still have the problem. God loved one identical twin less than He loved the other identical twin before they were born and before either of them did anything good or evil. As a result of the disparity of this divine love, the lives of these two men become quite different.

Roads, thanks so much for participating in this thread and for your question.

Yes, I am definitely leaning toward the "God may very possibly not love everyone" camp. Since my "arrival" at this position, it has affected my ministry only very subtly. Quite simply, I do not know who is elect or who is not. I can make an assumption for those who profess to love Christ that they are elect because of the fruit I see in their life. The fact that people engage me about spiritual (Biblical) things is, I believe, evidence of faith because the unregenerate sinner hates God and wouldn't care one way or the other.

The real question you're getting at, I think, is how do I interact with non-believers given my belief that God may hate them. For this, I assume that everyone to whom I witness is elect. There's no way I can possibly know if a person is elect, hence I can only assume that he is and witness to him accordingly.
The subtle nuance that I previously referenced is that I no longer get emotionally fired up when people reject the Gospel or fail to understand my arguments (Christian apologetics is also a hobby of mine). I want people to come to the knowledge of Christ. It upset me when they didn't. I felt like if my argument was effective or thorough that people should logically understand that their world-view was false, clearly see the reality of God's existence, and that there was abundant evidence to believe that Christianity is the one true religion. I witnessed to people using various approaches ranging from the message of the Gospel to the Moral Argument for the existence of God. The most frustrating points were where someone would tell me something like, "I agree with everything you've said. It makes perfect sense, but I just don't believe it." This would really frustrate me because it wasn't an outright rejection of God for some of these people, it was an inability to believe it. This reminds me of John 10:26 where Jesus says "you do not believe because you are not my sheep." How much different would the meaning be had Jesus said "you are not my sheep because you do not believe?"

Prior to coming to an understanding of Calvinism, I would get upset or have high levels of frustration with people who simply "didn't get it" when I was clearly destroying their arguments against the existence of God, or whatever. Now, however, I understand it's not up to me. Because I now know that God has loved his elect prior to the beginning of time, He draws them to Him, regenerates them, and gives them faith which produces repentance. Before I thought I was the one "convincing" them to believe, i.e. "winning souls" for Christ. What a prideful absurdity. I felt like if my argument was just a little more effective or clever, that person would be saved. Now I know that I am merely just one of God's instruments to deliver the message, but the work of building faith is 100% the Holy Spirit. I no longer feel the guilt or regret that "if I had just witnessed to him one more time, he might have been saved before he died." If someone dies an unbeliever (assuming it's possible to know that for certain), I just resign myself to the fact that he wasn't elect. It still saddens me, but God is sovereign.

This has not produced laziness or carelessness or led me to witness with less fever. Witnessing to people has actually become more exciting because I'm looking to see what God will do in this person's life.

This post went a little longer than I intended, but I felt your thoughtful question deserved a thoughtful answer. If you have further questions about why I believe the way I do, please ask.

Kurt, Very well put. I concur. Since I came to see the Doctrines of Grace, my ministry has been affected very little. I say to people, "Christ died for people just like you," rather than, "God died for you." Other than that, everything else remains the same. We still give forth the Gospel to all and we rejoice when a sinner comes to the Lord of Glory in repentance and faith.

The Old Testament Hebrew word is different from the Greek NT term. The word is the strongest term for hatred in the Hebrew vocabulary, and God expresses that for the workers of iniquity and those who divide friends, etc. But even if you assign "love less" to the meaning of the NT Greek word, (and I don't agree that it always means that), you still have the problem. God loved one identical twin less than He loved the other identical twin before they were born and before either of them did anything good or evil. As a result of the disparity of this divine love, the lives of these two men become quite different.

God loved Jacob more than Esau before the foundation of the world.

God sees the end from the beginning and knew what choices they would make.

This does not alter or change the meaning of my explanation and examples from Gods word.

Example:

30 And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years.

31 And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated , he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren. Genesis 29:30-31

This is the meaning of the word used in context with Rachel and Leah as well as Jacob and Esau.

JLB

I covered this in my post.

The same word that is translated from the Hebrew in Romans 9:13 is used in Luke 14:26

Before I answer the question of God hated Esau, I would like to ask you a question based on this scripture.

26 "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. Luke 14:26

Does God mean that you are to literally hate your family, members of your household?

JLB

JLB

Yes, granted there is more to this word "hate"

As mentioned above post # 49

The question still remains : there is disparity of divine love or there is no disparity?

Note: am not a Calvinist.
My intention is: to learn how we respond to outsiders question.
And that am on the opinion that all Christian denomination have a single basic premise: glorify God.

That is: the vegetarian question : )
To eat or not to eat meat, both are thankful to God.

Last edited:
Yes, granted there is more to this word "hate"

As mentioned above post # 49

The question still remains : there is disparity of divine love or there is no disparity?

Note: am not a Calvinist.
My intention is: to learn how we respond to outsiders question.
And that am on the opinion that all Christian denomination have a single basic premise: glorify God.

That is: the vegetarian question : )
To eat or not to eat meat, both are thankful to God.

Yes, both are thankful. However one is immature in their faith. If our goal is to learn how to best answer, then we must seek to be more mature, that is to say, be more Christlike in out understanding.

The response then would be: God loves everyone and wants everyone to be saved and reconciled to Him.

JLB

I covered this in my post.

The same word that is translated from the Hebrew in Romans 9:13 is used in Luke 14:26

JLB
No, of course not. In my view, this was an hyperbole worded in such a way as an exaggeration to get the point across. Our love for our family is never to eclipse our greater love for God. The wording of that passage doesn't lessen the intensity of the word.

If we love family more than God we are not worthly of Him.

But the word hate in this verse is the same word for hate used in Romans 9: 13, where is says Esau I hated.

Same word.

Yet you correctly state what this expression means in Luke 14 is to "love less" our family, over God.

This expression is used through out the old Testament as well as the new, to express exactly what you pointed out.

It doesn't mean hate in the traditional western mindset, as we use today, but rather it means to love less.

It simple denotes a stronger affection of one over the other.

Example:

JLB

But I think you're conflating Hebrew and Greek together. Language is very culturally sensitive. The Greek word MISEO can, in some contexts, mean to love less especially in hyperbolic settings, as you indicated with the Luke passage. I don't think the Hebrew word has that same connotation. For example, Ps. 97:10, "Ye who love the Lord HATE evil." Was the Psalmist saying that we are to love evil less? I don't think so!

I'm a seminary Greek teacher and as I tell my students, "Predestination is a Bible word--deal with it!." And they do, not always the way I would want. Look at Romans 8 where Paul uses the word a number of times and the context is salvation. Read Acts 13:48 and 2 Thess. 2:13. These will give you some startling insight into the whole issue.

I'm a seminary Greek teacher and as I tell my students, "Predestination is a Bible word--deal with it!." And they do, not always the way I would want. Look at Romans 8 where Paul uses the word a number of times and the context is salvation. Read Acts 13:48 and 2 Thess. 2:13. These will give you some startling insight into the whole issue.

Thanks, Jack. Indeed, I know extremely little about the subject of predestination.

and again -

Here are examples from both the OT and the NT that are both used in context, that shows the word hate as meaning "love less".

Unless you can show us from Jesus's words in Luke 14 where He was commanding us to literally hate our family, then you must deal honestly that both the Old Testament and the New Testament word "hate" were conveyed in the context of "love less" by both Jesus and Paul who are both Hebrew.

JLB

29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Predestined them to be conformed to the Image of His Son.

God wanted all of Adams offspring to be conformed to the image of Him who created him after His Image.

Unless you are going to suggest Adam was not elected.

JLB

If God wanted "all" of Adam's offspring to be conformed to the image of Him, than they would all be conformed to the image of Him. You'll notice in Romans 8, "...and whom He predestined, these He also called; and whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified , these He also glorfied" (8:30). All those who were predestinated were justified and ultimately glorifed which, as I understand it, is salvation. They are conformed to the image of his son as now being regarded as sinless. That could not involve all people without exception or you would have universal salvation.

Back