Does God Love Everyone?

When scripture says things like Romans 8 and 9 ''"...and whom He predestined, these He also called; and whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified , these He also glorfied'' I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion''...we do not need to stay in a nervous / blank state before God. Of course God can do as He pleases. But fortunately for us, He tells us exactly what pleases Him ;). God is not hiding valuable info from us (Psalms 51:17, Matt 16:24-26). We are not justified in placing our assumption right after those statements.
They are conformed to the image of his son as now being regarded as sinless. That could not involve all people without exception or you would have universal salvation
God's plan was universal salvation. Why do you ignore scripture like 1 Tim 2:4?

I don't ignore it at all. The word is not the English "all"; it is the Greek word "pas" meaning "all kinds." Paul uses the same word in 4:4, 4:15, 5:20 and 6:17 where it can't possibly mean all without exception. The context of the passage in 2:4 has to do with the requirement that we pray for all kinds of leaders in order that we might lead a quiet and peaceable life.

All those who were predestinated were justified and ultimately glorifed which, as I understand it, is salvation. They are conformed to the image of his son as now being regarded as sinless.

Hey Jack, maybe you or Kurt could answer this. Kurt and I were, earlier, talking about how people who believe in predestination carry out their ministry, and Kurt was saying (paraphrase) that since we don't know who is elect and who isn't, we treat everyone as though they are elect.

I have a few more questions about predestination I hope someone could answer. If I am understanding what people are saying correctly, people who believe in predestination believe that anyone who is "elect" will definitely be saved at some point before they die. Conversely, those who are not elect have no chance for salvation. Is that an accurate portrayal of the belief in predestination?

If that is accurate, then what is the goal of evangelism? Why wouldn't we simply sit back and allow everyone's inevitable destiny to unfold?

I hope that doesn't seem like a "loaded" question. This is something I genuinely want to understand: what is the motivation for evangelism for people who believe in predestination?

Yes, I would agree that those who have been predestinated will be saved at some point in their lives and those not predestinated will never be saved. To answer your other question, we have been given a commandment to preach the gospel to every creature and we don't know who the elect are. They don't wear name tags saying, "Hey, I'm one of the elect." So, we give the gospel to all because that is the Lord's desire. It also pleased the Lord to save people by the hearing of his Word and the action of his Holy Spirit (2 Thess. 2:13). I often refer back to Ezekiel's Valley of dry bones in Ezk 37. I realize the bones represent Israel, but the prophet was told to preach to this pile of lifeless, dry, dead bones; and he did. God then brought the bones together and gave them life. Same thing can be said of Abraham praying for his nephew Lot to be rescued from Sodom. In Genesis 19:29 God remembered the prayers of Abraham and rescued Lot. Did God need the preaching of Ezekiel to give life to these bones? Not at all. Did the Almighty need the prayers of Abraham to save Lot? Nope! But they were given the privilege of being used by the Lord for his work. So, we pray for the lost and we preach to the lost in order that God would save them. On a semi-related topic, I've often wondered why people who believe in absolute free will pray for the salvation of others. If the decision is entirely in their hands, what is prayer going to do?

is there significance that the word "foreknow" is mentioned first and then follwed by "also "?

Romans 8

28 And we know that [k]God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

Last edited:
On a semi-related topic, I've often wondered why people who believe in absolute free will pray for the salvation of others. If the decision is entirely in their hands, what is prayer going to do?

I appreciate the answer, it's something that's confused me for a long time. Is that a tenant of Calvinism, or your own personal motivation? Since you helped answer my question, I'll try to answer yours. Why do I, believing in free choice to accept of reject Christ, pray for the salvation of others?

Similarly, as a person who believes that we have free will to accept or reject Christ, I believe that God doesn't need us to do His work, but for some reason, He commands us to be/gives us the privilege of being His hands and feet in this world. But I believe that whether or not we choose to obey that command has a real effect on the outcome. For example, I live in a fairly low socio-economic area, and my church does a lot of work trying to meet the needs of the community on a pretty raw level; providing food, shelter, legal and advocate services, that sort of thing. God cares about the suffering in the community, and He certainly doesn't need us to address the needs here, but unless someone actually obeys his command to feed the poor, care for the widows and orphans, etc, it may not get done. He doesn't just want that work to be done, He seems to want us to do it. In other words, in a specific scenario, is it God's will that x's family have food for tonight? Well, I guess I can't speak for God, but it seems to be His will that His people freely choose to do His work by bringing food to x's house tonight, and if His people disobey, x's family may not eat tonight.

Similarly, I believe that whether or not I evangelise, or pray, has a real effect on an outcome, in the same way that other ways my church serves God have a real effect on an outcome.

In the examples you referred to,

God certainly didn't need Ezekiel's prayer , but would God have raised the dry bones if Ezekiel had chosen to disobey God, and refused to pray? I submit that He would not have, although I concede that there is no way of actually knowing. It seems, though, that God's clear goal was to raise the dry bones, but was waiting for Ezekiel's prayer before He actually took action.

Similarly, God certainly didn't need Abraham's prayer to save Lot, but would He have saved Lot without Abraham's prayer? Perhaps not. Again, there's no way of knowing, but that "God remembered Abraham" seems significant.

So, I pray for people to be saved for the same reason Ezekiel prayed for the dry bones to be raised. Because, maybe, God is waiting to do something to reveal Himself to someone in a profound way, and provide them with another specific opportunity to choose Him, or reject Him, but maybe He's waiting for me to be obedient in prayer before He does that. Essentially, I pray for the unsaved because I have faith that God will answer my prayer.

Other people may have other reasons about why they pray for the unsaved. That's why I pray.

But I'm not really sure it actually matters all that much what I believe about predestination, or God's will. To explain:

1. People who don't believe in predestination obey God in service to Him because they believe all people can be saved
2. People who do believe in predestination obey God in service to Him because they don't know who can be saved, so they should carry out ministry as though all people can be saved.

It seems that whatever your perspective is on the issue, our conclusions about how we are to live our lives as Christians and carry out God's work is identical, maybe even totally indistinguishable. Even if the, let's call it, "theoretical approach" is different, the practical conclusion seems identical. If that is the case, the issue seems, in practice, fairly trivial, unless I'm missing something, which I could be.

Not that I'm advocating justification in believing bad theology. But it does seem that whatever position you take on this particular issue, there are parts of the Bible that are unexplainable within that perspective, or at least cast significant doubt.

I think this may be, partly, because of this: The Bible is the Truth, but not the whole Truth. It's a few threads of a tapestry, a dim look through a glass. It's one small part of a complete explanation that we are fully incapable of understanding. We probably cannot really come to any fully accurate conclusion about what God's will is, His view toward us and the world, and the nature of choice and destiny. I suspect that all of us are, at least in part, trying to figure out what the entire tapestry looks like, when all we can really do is be satisfied with the threads we are given, and have faith about the rest until it's revealed to us.

I see you, Jack, as a fellow Truth-seeker, and fellow faithful minister of God's work. I appreciate the calmness and gentleness you bring to the forums, as I'm sure you're more than tired of facing the same resistances over and over. May God give us all wisdom and unity of purpose as we continue to search His word for Truth.

To "foreknow" is simply what the word implies. God has always known all things (Ps. 94:11; Isa. 40:28). He is incapable of learning anything because He has always known everything. He knew from eternity past the names of those who would be saved and conformed to the image of his dear Son. "Predestinate" in the Greek language comes from two roots: PRO- before and ORIZO- to lay out the boundary marks. Think of a railroad track. It lays out the path that the train must take and in this case the destination is conformity to his Son. Interestingly, in Acts 2:23, while the wording is slightly different, "the predetermined plan" and "foreknowledge of God" are in a unique grammatical construction that indicates they are both the same thing. That makes sense if you think about it. If God knew from eternity past that something will happen; it will happen. It will follow the path that is in the mind of the Almighty.

ROADS: It seems that whatever your perspective is on the issue, our conclusions about how we are to live our lives as Christians and carry out God's work is identical, maybe even totally indistinguishable. Even if the, let's call it, "theoretical approach" is different, the practical conclusion seems identical. If that is the case, the issue seems, in practice, fairly trivial, unless I'm missing something, which I could be.

JACK: Amen, my friend. Some people get so upset over this issue but when it comes to the practical side of evangelism, and there is hardly any difference at all. I think it was Jack Hyles who once said, "What we need are people with Baptist heads, Pentecostal hearts, and Jehovah's Witness feet."

I don't ignore it at all. The word is not the English "all"; it is the Greek word "pas" meaning "all kinds." Paul uses the same word in 4:4, 4:15, 5:20 and 6:17 where it can't possibly mean all without exception. The context of the passage in 2:4 has to do with the requirement that we pray for all kinds of leaders in order that we might lead a quiet and peaceable life.
'Pas' can be ''all kinds'' but not ''some of a kind''. If they wrote 'all kinds' it does not destroy the meaning of the passage nor is it justification for your underlined assumption. That is why every translation you will find in biblehub and gateway are the same. Then your ''context'' argument is simply grabbing at straws / evading / attempting to cause just enough doubt as you do with the verses on God's impartiality.

Please tell me if I have your translation of 1 Tim 2 correct...

2 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for elected believers (all people) 2 for all kings and all elected believers (all those) in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all kinds of people aka elected believers (all people) to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth and just in case some are confused as I am making a VERY profound statement here, I am talking only about the elected leaders. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: 5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and elected believers (mankind), the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for elected believers (all people).

No, my exegesis of the passage would be this: "I urge, then, first of all that petition, prayers, intercession and giving of thanks be made for all kinds of people that include kings and all who are in authority, in order that we believers may live a quiet and peaceful life in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior who wants all kinds of people to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus who gave himself as a one-on-one ransom to all kinds of people." That is very consistent with the context, syntax, and wording of Paul's writing.

If God wanted "all" of Adam's offspring to be conformed to the image of Him, than they would all be conformed to the image of Him. You'll notice in Romans 8, "...and whom He predestined, these He also called; and whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified , these He also glorfied" (8:30). All those who were predestinated were justified and ultimately glorifed which, as I understand it, is salvation. They are conformed to the image of his son as now being regarded as sinless. That could not involve all people without exception or you would have universal salvation.

All of mankind was destined for be son's of God, as Adam was elect, his offspring was elect.

With these words, God bestowed upon the human race, as Adams offspring still contained within his loins, His blessing upon all who would come from Adam.

" 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth." Genesis 1:27-28

Jesus walked in Dominion. Only the Image and likeness of God is able to walk in Dominion.

All of Mankind was PREDESTINED TO WALK IN DOMINION.

All of Mankind had been blessed by God.

The Blessing means to endow with favor, health, prosperity as well as ETERNAL LIFE.

Nobody can refute this basic foundational tenet of Theology.

All of Adams offspring were predestined to be conformed to The Image of God.

JLB

Jack that wording in post # 71 is fine...but you said in post # 63 ''where it can't possibly mean all without exception''.

How do you use ''all kinds'' to suddenly justify Calvinism? Are you are implying ''all kinds'' = believers?....just as you assume...Kosmos = believers in John 3:16....

It really is funny how you justify that!! Since, Pas = all kinds and kosmos = people of the world, suddenly you see it fit to conclude Pas and kosmos = believers. Just because the word ''believers'' appears somewhere in the passage :giggle:. Its like saying that since humans are not one colour but rather various shades of white - brown...Thus, on this green earth we have green humans :sick:.

Last edited:
All of mankind was destined for be son's of God, as Adam was elect, his offspring was elect.

With these words, God bestowed upon the human race, as Adams offspring still contained within his loins, His blessing upon all who would come from Adam.

" 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth." Genesis 1:27-28

Jesus walked in Dominion. Only the Image and likeness of God is able to walk in Dominion.

All of Mankind was PREDESTINED TO WALK IN DOMINION.

All of Mankind had been blessed by God.

The Blessing means to endow with favor, health, prosperity as well as ETERNAL LIFE.

Nobody can refute this basic foundational tenet of Theology.

All of Adams offspring were predestined to be conformed to The Image of God.

JLB

Where in the Scripture does it say that all of Adam's offspring were predestinated to be conformed to the Image of God?

Jack that wording in post # 71 is fine...but you said in post # 63 ''where it can't possibly mean all without exception''.

How do you use ''all kinds'' to suddenly justify Calvinism? Are you are implying ''all kinds'' = believers?....just as you assume...Kosmos = believers in John 3:16....

It really is funny how you justify that!! Since, Pas = all kinds and kosmos = people of the world, suddenly you see it fit to conclude Pas and kosmos = believers. Just because the word ''believers'' appears somewhere in the passage :giggle:. Its like saying that since humans are not one colour but rather various shades of white - brown...Thus, on this green earth we have green humans :sick:.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're getting at. In #63 I was pointing out that Paul used PAS in the verses where it couldn't mean "all without exception." For example, in I Tim. 4:4 he is referring to animals that are eatible and not all animals are. In 4:15 he is telling Timothy to minister well to "all." Obviously, he is indicating the people to whom Timothy ministers the Word; he wasn't referring every person on the globe without exception. In 5:20 he tells Timothy to rebuke elders who continue in sin in front of "all," again, a reference to Timothy's congregation and not to all the people in the world. In #71 I was pointing out that Paul is telling Timothy to pray, interceed, and be thankful for all kinds of rulers which include kings and I would assume local magestrates and territorial rulers. Now, I don't see any inconsistency in the use of PAS in any of those passages. In none of those uses did it ever refer to all people without exception. Do you see something different? Is that what you're talking about?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're getting at. In #63 I was pointing out that Paul used PAS in the verses where it couldn't mean "all without exception." For example, in I Tim. 4:4 he is referring to animals that are eatible and not all animals are. In 4:15 he is telling Timothy to minister well to "all." Obviously, he is indicating the people to whom Timothy ministers the Word; he wasn't referring every person on the globe without exception. In 5:20 he tells Timothy to rebuke elders who continue in sin in front of "all," again, a reference to Timothy's congregation and not to all the people in the world. In #71 I was pointing out that Paul is telling Timothy to pray, interceed, and be thankful for all kinds of rulers which include kings and I would assume local magestrates and territorial rulers. Now, I don't see any inconsistency in the use of PAS in any of those passages. In none of those uses did it ever refer to all people without exception. Do you see something different? Is that what you're talking about?
Where in the Scripture does it say that all of Adam's offspring were predestinated to be conformed to the Image of God?

27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth." Genesis 1:27-28

God's intent was for man to live forever in harmony with His will, for He created man is His Image and likeness.

God blessed mankind which carries the meaning of favor, health, prosperity as well as eternal life.

God's intent was for mankind to multiply His Image and His Likeness.

By multiplying God's Image and God's likeness, mankind was to subdue and have dominion.

Adam is God's elect.

Adam is God's son.

Adam's offspring were to be God's sons as Adam was.

Do you think that God's sons were not destined to be conformed to His Image?

What more do you need to know?

JLB

When scripture says things like Romans 8 and 9 ''"...and whom He predestined, these He also called; and whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified , these He also glorfied'' I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion''...we do not need to stay in a nervous / blank state before God. Of course God can do as He pleases. But fortunately for us, He tells us exactly what pleases Him ;). God is not hiding valuable info from us (Psalms 51:17, Matt 16:24-26). We are not justified in placing our assumption right after those statements.
God's plan was universal salvation. Why do you ignore scripture like 1 Tim 2:4?

King...........

1 Timothy 2:4
King James Version (KJV)
" Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth".

Am I reading your comments wrong??? ( I think that I am).

Are you advocating "universal salvation" in that in the end ALL people will be saved from the judgment?
If so, the verse in 1 Timothy will not work as a basis for that.

God certainly does not want anyone to go to hell but the fact is more will be in hell than heaven.

King...........

1 Timothy 2:4
King James Version (KJV)
" Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth".

Am I reading your comments wrong??? ( I think that I am).

Are you advocating "universal salvation" in that in the end ALL people will be saved from the judgment?
If so, the verse in 1 Timothy will not work as a basis for that.

God certainly does not want anyone to go to hell but the fact is more will be in hell than heaven.

Cuppla things I think need comment Major.
I can't read universal salvation into that verse...into any verse for that matter.
"Who will have all men to be saved....." certainly reads a lot different from 'Who will have all men saved....'
The first speaks of desire, and the second speaks of sovereign decree.
So, I can't see how 1Tim 2:4 can be used to teach universal salvation.(sorry King J you need to rethink on this one.)

The second point is that if more people end up in hell than in heaven, that would be a victory for Satan would it not?
Jesus' teaching on the narrow and wide gates; Matt 7:12-13,14. “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.
What do you think? Is Jesus teaching from the perspective of the requirements of the Law and the Prophets, or is He teaching from the concept of Salvation through atonement by Grace?

27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth." Genesis 1:27-28

God's intent was for man to live forever in harmony with His will, for He created man is His Image and likeness.

God blessed mankind which carries the meaning of favor, health, prosperity as well as eternal life.

God's intent was for mankind to multiply His Image and His Likeness.

By multiplying God's Image and God's likeness, mankind was to subdue and have dominion.

Adam is God's elect.

Adam is God's son.

Adam's offspring were to be God's sons as Adam was.

Do you think that God's sons were not destined to be conformed to His Image?

What more do you need to know?

JLB

I'm still not sure I'm understadning you. Romans 8 says that all those who were predestinated to be conformed to the image of his Son will be glorified. Surely you're not saying that all human beings will be. So, I'm a bit confused over what you really are saying.

I'm still not sure I'm understadning you. Romans 8 says that all those who were predestinated to be conformed to the image of his Son will be glorified. Surely you're not saying that all human beings will be. So, I'm a bit confused over what you really are saying.

Pick one phrase from my post that you don't understand and let's discuss it.

Example: Adam is God's son.

Thanks JLB

Pick one phrase from my post that you don't understand and let's discuss it.

Example: Adam is God's son.

Thanks JLB

I don't know that there was a specific statement, but where were you going with your post? Everything you mentioned was prior to the fall of man into sin in the Garden. I was talking about God predestinating some unto salvation after the fall depicted in passages like Ro. 8:29-30; Eph. 1;5; and 2 Thess. 2:13. I don't dispute the idea that man was created in the image of God and even unsaved man is still in God's image (Gen. 9:6). But being in the image of God is not salvation.

Back