Church Worship Music

This idea of using natural things in Christian worship has never been substantiated with a single scripture reference during the whole of this lengthy conversation.

This is just nonsense.

It's an idea which is completely absent from the New Testament. This doctrine is false, and really the conclusion of it is the denial of the all-sufficiency of Christ and the service of the Holy Spirit. If we need to add anything natural to what those divine Persons provide for the service of God, what They provide is insufficient. That is a blasphemous thought, and one that we can't entertain for a moment.

What doctrine are you talking about? What is blasphemy to you?

That you would remain austere in your worship is a behaviour rooted in fear. Heaven will be a mighty shock for you.

Excuse me while I go and worship at church!

I hear you and completely understand your thinking. However, do we agree that the Word of God includes ALL the Scriptures???

Then notice in these verses.........
Revelation 5:8-14 ......
" And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four [and] twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints".

Psalms 105:1-6.................
"Praise the LORD! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals! Let everything that has breath praise the LORD! Praise the LORD!"

I absolutely agree! How wonderfully complete are the Scriptures!

I think what we have to bear in mind is that that scripture in the Psalms refers to a past dispensation, and the scripture in Revelation refers to a future one. That doesn't diminish their value in any way. Psalm 105 is tremendous. Each instrument has a typical meaning for us, which is perhaps a profitable discussion for another time.

With reference to the dispensations, to put it in simple terms, we know what God has done yesterday, and we have a divine intimation of what He will do tomorrow (how gracious He is!), but we have to seek His mind for today. We can't borrow from yesterday, the elements of Jewish worship, to please God, because those things were just types, of which we have the Antitype in Christ. Can we take from Revelation, from the future? We have to clear that much of the Revelation is figurative - there won't literally be four fantastical beasts, and the number of the saints won't only be 24, and the Lamb won't literally be a lamb. Should we take the golden vials and the harps and the crowns literally? If we do, and we bring harps into our worship now, how can we leave out the crowns, the golden vials, and so on?

Uh...too late. We already worship with harps..or at least, strings.
Also, revelation isnt just future. Its happening yesterday and now. Its past present and future.

The elders number 24 but there are multitudes of saints.
And..Jesus is called the lamb, but there was a literal lamb in the beginning. See genesis.
As for the beasts ..well..you just wait and see.
Jesus is the Messiah, although we call him Christ. Christ means anointed one. But that doesnt mean to say he isnt the Jews Messiah as well. Salvation is from the Jews. jesus didnt stop being Jewish. He could not 'unchoose' himself.

Sorry, I dont agree with much of dispensationalism.

Sorry about this one but you are possibly getting into a misconception about Wales, at least if you are thinking coal mines.

South Wales had a lot of them and there were a couple in N E Wales (Gresford maybe the most famous - visit the link). Not saying there are not mines and quarries in my (once upon a time) area but they were slate mines, in older times copper mines...

Conwy (where I trid to give a picture of earlier) was once more of a fishing town... And Llandudno is mostly tourist industry (with I think still bits of manufacturing industry although I believe Hotpoint both in Llandudno Junction and further to the East were I once worked for them in Bodelwyddan has gone).

I tend to think of the N and S of Wales as different worlds.

Still, We would all know "Calon Lan".
Lol i know..that was a generalisation on my part. Its like ppl thinking nzers all have pet kiwis. Or we all play rugby.

I would agree that, certain kinds if music is ungodly and ought not to be used...not my opinion, but the spirit behind it. I am not judging anyone who might do this unwittingly, but asking people to discern what is holy and what isnt.

I know absolutley that satan is behind rock music and it should not be used in church. It is fleshy and sensual, and entertainment. Our worship is not entertainment. It takes our mind off Jesus and to other gods and idols. People then worship with their lips but their hearts are far from Him.

Now Cliff Richard may be a christian and reach out to those ppl that liked rocknroll in his concerts but he would be the last to play devil is a woman or bring rock music INTO the church. We dont worship cliff richard here. But i see others claiming themselves christian, and then all their songs get covered in church..and they make a lot of money from royalties. Praise bands then have heavy drummers that look exactly like rock bands completele with CAGES to play their drums in inside the church. I have seen it, they have absoltuely no respect. Many people cannot play the drums properly anyway and style them according to rock music idols. Note..IDOLS.

It is very sad that some churches allow people to do this and call it worship.

Should we take the golden vials and the harps and the crowns literally? If we do, and we bring harps into our worship now, how can we leave out the crowns, the golden vials, and so on?

I think that's what they called the "slippery slope"....

In logic and critical thinking, a slippery slope is a logical device, but it is usually known under its fallacious form, in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any rational argument or demonstrable mechanism for the inevitability of the event in question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

I absolutely agree! How wonderfully complete are the Scriptures!

I think what we have to bear in mind is that that scripture in the Psalms refers to a past dispensation, and the scripture in Revelation refers to a future one. That doesn't diminish their value in any way. Psalm 105 is tremendous. Each instrument has a typical meaning for us, which is perhaps a profitable discussion for another time.

With reference to the dispensations, to put it in simple terms, we know what God has done yesterday, and we have a divine intimation of what He will do tomorrow (how gracious He is!), but we have to seek His mind for today. We can't borrow from yesterday, the elements of Jewish worship, to please God, because those things were just types, of which we have the Antitype in Christ. Can we take from Revelation, from the future? We have to clear that much of the Revelation is figurative - there won't literally be four fantastical beasts, and the number of the saints won't only be 24, and the Lamb won't literally be a lamb. Should we take the golden vials and the harps and the crowns literally? If we do, and we bring harps into our worship now, how can we leave out the crowns, the golden vials, and so on?

After reading your previous posts: just checking: seems to be you are equating Flesh, Carnal, "things of this world" as UnGodly, or at least and those things has no reason to be used in giving thanks or at most, in worship?

Am kinda confused since I read somewhere you said you are non-denominational... as I understand that word, one has no trouble in his heart attending different Church services such as Baptist or Pentecostal, as long as Jesus Christ, the Cross is preached...

I would agree that, certain kinds if music is ungodly and ought not to be used...not my opinion, but the spirit behind it. I am not judging anyone who might do this unwittingly, but asking people to discern what is holy and what isnt.

I see that what is done UNWITTINGLY is the denunciation of anointed music.

I know absolutley that satan is behind rock music and it should not be used in church. It is fleshy and sensual, and entertainment. Our worship is not entertainment. It takes our mind off Jesus and to other gods and idols. People then worship with their lips but their hearts are far from Him.

Contemporary worship music is NOT rock. That you think it is of the world is carnal thinking at work. The devil is glorified by people giving voice to his opinion, and not God's.

Praise bands then have heavy drummers that look exactly like rock bands completele with CAGES to play their drums in inside the church. I have seen it, they have absoltuely no respect. Many people cannot play the drums properly anyway and style them according to rock music idols. Note..IDOLS.

Judging by appearance is your problem, here. Disrespect is, also.

It is very sad that some churches allow people to do this and call it worship.

Your carnal judgment is duly noted!

I think that's what they called the "slippery slope"....

In logic and critical thinking, a slippery slope is a logical device, but it is usually known under its fallacious form, in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any rational argument or demonstrable mechanism for the inevitability of the event in question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope
I don't think that's correct, because I'm not saying that because one thing happens, another must happen. It's not matter of sequence. I'm simply asking why, if we bring in musical instruments from a past or a future time, why don't we bring in all the other elements of those times as well? It isn't done, to my knowledge, but why isn't it?

After reading your previous posts: just checking: seems to be you are equating Flesh, Carnal, "things of this world" as UnGodly, or at least and those things has no reason to be used in giving thanks or at most, in worship?

Am kinda confused since I read somewhere you said you are non-denominational... as I understand that word, one has no trouble in his heart attending different Church services such as Baptist or Pentecostal, as long as Jesus Christ, the Cross is preached...

What I'm saying is that natural things - while they're right in their place - cannot be offered to God in worship. Christ is the only suitable offering.

If I said I was nondenominational, that was a misleading statement of mine. My position is that I don't agree with denominations or sects, and I believe they're a practical denial of the truth of the one Body and the all-sufficiency of the Name of Jesus as a point of gathering.

Uh...too late. We already worship with harps..or at least, strings.
Also, revelation isnt just future. Its happening yesterday and now. Its past present and future.

The elders number 24 but there are multitudes of saints.
And..Jesus is called the lamb, but there was a literal lamb in the beginning. See genesis.
As for the beasts ..well..you just wait and see.
Jesus is the Messiah, although we call him Christ. Christ means anointed one. But that doesnt mean to say he isnt the Jews Messiah as well. Salvation is from the Jews. jesus didnt stop being Jewish. He could not 'unchoose' himself.

Sorry, I dont agree with much of dispensationalism.

It's not my intention to attack individual believers or groups of believers - I want to address the underlying principle.

When I talk about Revelation, I mean the prophecy contained in the Book of the Revelation. You're right that revelation has occurred, the Father has been revealed by the Son.

Yes, there are vast myriads of saints. Here the 24 elders figuratively represent the whole of the redeemed multitude.

What I'm saying is that natural things - while they're right in their place - cannot be offered to God in worship. Christ is the only suitable offering.

If I said I was nondenominational, that was a misleading statement of mine. My position is that I don't agree with denominations or sects, and I believe they're a practical denial of the truth of the one Body and the all-sufficiency of the Name of Jesus as a point of gathering.

Do you actually belong to a local body of Christ?

Without instruments, then, you must have a worship leader who uses a pitch pipe?
Ahh, no. [emoji23] I think we could do with it at times, but we don't have anything to set the pitch. I knew of brethren in France some time ago who used to use a tuning fork. And we don't have a worship leader, we rely on the Holy Spirit to direct the service of God.

Ahh, no. [emoji23] I think we could do with it at times, but we don't have anything to set the pitch. I knew of brethren in France some time ago who used to use a tuning fork. And we don't have a worship leader, we rely on the Holy Spirit to direct the service of God.

Holy Spirit uses worship leaders also.

I got your point, and I agree, thanks for the Lamb, the Sacrifice in Jesus Christ….
Although, that will be an offering, sacrifice… and Sacrifice on the Cross is the once and for all…

On Worship:
As I understand, Worship, the root word: is acknowledgement of WORTH, Worthy of Praise…

I think it is context of Justice: to give to whom it is due…. we give Praise to a work of art, to lady for her beauty, not to flatter, but to give praise whom it is due, that is Justice : )

I think it is a personal thing HOW one give PRAISE to whom it is DUE… flowers? : )

I believe as well, we can sanctify our day to day activities, as an act of giving thanks, an act of praise, an act of worship....

Proverbs 3:6New King James Version (NKJV)
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

Holy Spirit uses worship leaders also.
Well, you probably know what my reply will be already... there's no office of worship leader spoken of in the scriptures. When we come together for the Supper, Christ Himself leads the praises to the Father, as it says in Hebrews 2:12: "I will declare thy name to my brethren; in the midst of the assembly will I sing thy praises."

What I'm trying to say here on this thread is that spiritual worship is of a totally different character to earthly worship. The outward things which attach to earthly worship aren't required. In the Old Testament, God deals with man in the flesh and as responsible under the Law. At the cross, that all changed. Man in the flesh was dealt with decisively, crucified with the Christ. A new order of man was introduced, a new order of worship too - in spirit and in truth.

What I'm trying to say here on this thread is that spiritual worship is of a totally different character to earthly worship. The outward things which attach to earthly worship aren't required. In the Old Testament, God deals with man in the flesh and as responsible under the Law. At the cross, that all changed. Man in the flesh was dealt with decisively, crucified with the Christ. A new order of man was introduced, a new order of worship too - in spirit and in truth.

I agree, TRUE worship is in spirit and truth...

Although : )

Man needs FORMS, physical FORMS of worship, customs, and traditions....

for what reason: I think more on as need on “community gathering”… that's what I want to say as well...

I think..anything else is prolly fancy decoration. As long as you praising with Him with a pure heart of devotion. I find some forms of music a real distraction.

Rock music has an opposite spirit and can really interfere with true worship, which is why i dont like it and many other believers dont either.
I dont think we need to 'keep time' in heaven, as we will be in eternity so the 4/4 rhythms of rock are jarring to say the least. Rocknroll was originally slang for carnal knowledge and used to excite hormonal teenagers to frenzy. I think a generation got used to it and then wanted to bring it into church cos they disliked hymns perhaps. I dont know, it just seems so out of place.

I have been to some churches that tried to introduce TRANCE music into a worship service. I was going what is this??! I'm not worshiping my Lord with mindless droning that goes on endlessly!

Back