Church Worship Music

We are moved by the Spirit of God on a personal level and if it is not of God to YOU personally to do it then make sure that you don't.

I have witnessed on several occassions adults doing this and a 3 or 5 year old child does it also..........not because the Spirit moved them because they saw mom or dad do it. I am not saying that is bad or wrong, just that it maybe for the wrong reason.

That is how I understand it as well.

One of things that does always have me wondering is that I see all these Christians who say how in love with Jesus they are. It's hard to explain, but it's like they are teenagers in love. It sounds like lovey dovey stuff.

I don't feel that. Do I love my Lord, yes, yes I do, but I don't say things like I am so in love with Jesus.

At times it makes me feel like less of a Christian because I don't say those kinds of things.

I have seen you mention lifting hands quite a few times now.

Do you believe that is a requirement for worship or is that another freedom in Christ that we have the freedom to do or freesom not do.

Yes, we are taught in the word to do it. When I want to bless the Lord, I will do what He loves.

Once in a while I lift my hands, but many times do not feel the press of the Holy Spirit to do so.

We are not instructed to "feel the press of the Holy spirit" to raise our hands in praise. That would be tantamount to emotionalism. We need to do it out of adoration and obedience to the word of God that instructs us about worship.

We are moved by the Spirit of God on a personal level and if it is not of God to YOU personally to do it then make sure that you don't.

I have witnessed on several occassions adults doing this and a 3 or 5 year old child does it also..........not because the Spirit moved them because they saw mom or dad do it. I am not saying that is bad or wrong, just that it maybe for the wrong reason.

When I see a child raising his hands to God in worship, or kneeling or laying prostrate before God, I worship God all the more, seeing that these children are being taught by example just how to do it. Praise God!

OK. No problem.

From.....http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/worshipsongratings.html
Verse 1:
God give me strength to make it through
Situations that sometimes get out of hand
I'll keep my eyes on You
I'll keep my eyes on You
Chorus:
My dreams may not come true
I may fall, I may fall on my face
Still my hope is in You
All I need is the strength to make it through
Verse 2:
God strengthen these hands that always hurt You
This mind that wanders and always gets out hand
I'll keep my eyes on You
I'll keep my eyes on You
Chorus:
Still my hope is in You
Like a breath in the fog my memories have disappeared
(I'll keep my eyes on you)
Chorus:
Still my hope is in You
My dreams they may not come true
I may fall, I may fall,
I may fall, I may fall on my face".

I wonder what "like a breath in the fog my memories have disappeared" means since there is no mention of that concept or apparently the word "fog" in the Bible.

This is weird. I asked Juk what the lyrics were that his church sings, that he says they write themselves. Are you aware of his church's worship songs?

Yes, we are taught in the word to do it. When I want to bless the Lord, I will do what He loves.

We are not instructed to "feel the press of the Holy spirit" to raise our hands in praise. That would be tantamount to emotionalism. We need to do it out of adoration and obedience to the word of God that instructs us about worship.

I will just agree to disagree. I know that at least in my Lutheran church we are taught that you can raise your hands if you want, and if you don't that's okay too.

I will just agree to disagree. I know that at least in my Lutheran church we are taught that you can raise your hands if you want, and if you don't that's okay too.

It's OK not to, but when you are in His presence, why would you NOT want to? How can you keep from doing so? He deserves it.

Giving in to one's creature comforts and withholding makes one shy of receiving from God what He wants to give.

This is weird. I asked Juk what the lyrics were that his church sings, that he says they write themselves. Are you aware of his church's worship songs?

Not at all. I just happened to have done a study guide not long ago and some asked the same question you had asked. I had saved that song in my records to show the repeating wording as an example.

When I see a child raising his hands to God in worship, or kneeling or laying prostrate before God, I worship God all the more, seeing that these children are being taught by example just how to do it. Praise God!

I don't know. It actually concerns me when a really young person doing that. I have to question if it is really authentic worship or just follow the leader. Just my opinion.

That is how I understand it as well.

One of things that does always have me wondering is that I see all these Christians who say how in love with Jesus they are. It's hard to explain, but it's like they are teenagers in love. It sounds like lovey dovey stuff.

I don't feel that. Do I love my Lord, yes, yes I do, but I don't say things like I am so in love with Jesus.

At times it makes me feel like less of a Christian because I don't say those kinds of things.

I hear you my brother. Remember these words in Romans 14:5.........
"One man esteemeth one day above another, another esteeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind".

This applies to all the stages of Christianity. YOU do as God moves YOU to do and not because someone insists that it is something need to or should do to prove your faith. "Fully Persuaded" means to be CONVINCED.

I love football but that does not mean YOU have to love it.
I love NASCAR races but that does not mean you have to love them.
I love cheddar cheese and Ritz crackers but that does not mean you have to.
I go to church on Sunday but that does not mean you have to.
I do raise my hands when in church as the Spirit moves me but you do not have to.
I do not speak in tongues but you certainly can if you want to.

We are all at different stages of life and our Christian faith and no one is superior than anyone else for what they do or do not do when it comes to worship.

Someone once asked me is we would allow someone in church that wore a "Budweiser" T shirt. Absolutely!!!!!

I am always more concerned with inside of a person more than the outside. When the inside gets cleaned up, the outside will follow right along.

I don't know. It actually concerns me when a really young person doing that. I have to question if it is really authentic worship or just follow the leader. Just my opinion.

When I have witnessed it, it brings me to tears with joy, and God's heart is moved. That our children emulate the godly among us is only good.

Romans 12:2 KJV
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

But I don't think those songs are edifying.

I see that you have the right scripture....but do you really believe it? Do you really know what it means?

You say that the songs are not edifying, but you don't even know what the words are......so how can you truly know that they are not edifying?

I love cheddar cheese and Ritz crackers but that does not mean you have to.

Sort of "cheeseaholic" here. The most mature cheddar to a lactic Cheshire maybe even to a French Blue like St Agur or Roquefort.and our own Stilton. Sometimes a mild Brie takes my fancy.

More seriously, I do get your post.

I think we'd make an odd couple but in spite of our differences as people, I could happily join you in raising the church roof with "How great thou art" and the cheese and biscuits afterwards.

I see that you have the right scripture....but do you really believe it? Do you really know what it means?

You say that the songs are not edifying, but you don't even know what the words are......so how can you truly know that they are not edifying?
I do believe the verse, although I am completely lost as to what the second part of it means.

It means that if you don't know what the words are to the songs...how can you know if they are feeding your spirit or not?
I know what the words are at that moment, but I forget them easily, because I don't sing them, unless my mom forces me to.

This is where we diverge. God declares what we do with our bodies in service to Him as worship. when you realize the truth of this, you will be set free.

What God has placed within us as human beings, such as rhythm---our heart beat, our respiration, our eye blinks, our gait, the womb's 28-day rotation of readiness for offspring, our appreciation for rhythm and music---none of it is evil and none of it needs to be overcome! What is evil is succumbing to the enemy whispering in our ear that rhythm and music is inherently evil. God is the creator of music. Satan stole it. We, in Christ, take it back and use it for its rightful purpose: to bring glory to God.

In eternity, we will still be ourselves, and all our abilities that God has placed within us to serve Him will be completely magnified, and not only that, but the purposes for which we were created will be apparent as we serve Him in the Kingdom to come!

What we present to God is our whole selves. That you think it is unacceptable is acceptable to God!
Again... there's absolutely no basis in scripture for any of these statements. In fact, scripture categorically shows us that what's being put forward here is contrary to the truth. How can we use our bodies of corruption in this way when their end is already in sight, to be replaced by bodies of glory, untouched by sin?

Actually, what is blasphemous is to believe that one needs to withhold any of himself from God's use and purpose for His glory.

Heaven will certainly be a major shock to those who claim that musical worship involves only the vocal cords. When Holy Spirit is present, one would be hard pressed to say, "No, God, I will not dance before you, nor will I lift up my hands, nor shout praises to you, nor will I place my hand to the piano keys to adore you, even though you have blessed me with talent to play it." I doubt God is very pleased with that kind of attitude---it is disobedience!

He wants us all to experience Him in all ways and with exuberance. Our flesh should be brimming with excitement at being in His very presence!
These statements are not supported in any way by scripture - if they were, I'm sure you could point to the scriptures which do support them. But what we're seeing put forward here is a whole theory or theology which is unscriptural from beginning to end. It's not even a matter of it being a differing interpretation of some passages of scripture - these notions are completely unsupportable.

Again, contrast Abel and Cain's offerings. Which was God pleased with? Christ or Adam? Can we please God with Adam? Even in innocence, Adam wasn't the full thought.

I know what the words are at that moment, but I forget them easily, because I don't sing them, unless my mom forces me to.
I think you know if you've been edified if you take away an impression from an experience with God. I can only speak from my own experience, but if I go away from the service of God in the Supper with some fresh impression of the Lord Jesus, or the Spirit, or the Father, then I've been edified. Something has been added to my knowledge and appreciation of divine things and divine Persons. This isn't wrote learning, not simply memorising scriptures (helpful though that might be) or the words of songs and hymns, but something stored up in the heart that God has put there - something fresh and living. These impressions, treasured up in the hearts of the saints, are what God takes pleasure in. That's what will flow out to Him in worship throughout eternity from the whole of the redeemed multitude.

Reactions: Juk
Sort of "cheeseaholic" here. The most mature cheddar to a lactic Cheshire maybe even to a French Blue like St Agur or Roquefort.and our own Stilton. Sometimes a mild Brie takes my fancy.

More seriously, I do get your post.

I think we'd make an odd couple but in spite of our differences as people, I could happily join you in raising the church roof with "How great thou art" and the cheese and biscuits afterwards.

Good thoughts! Now all this talk of snack food has made me hungry. See you later as Major is seen moving toward the refrigerator...................

Back