Church Worship Music

That is only your indoctrination speaking. We have a physical house where we come together to worship God with our voices and with our music and with our whole bodies.
Is the church building, or the chapel, or the meeting room, or the gospel where we variously gather, "God's house"? Surely not - we are God's house. The house is a spiritual idea, not a physical one - wouldn't you agree?

Oh and a side comment, Lanolin.

I'm not that up on harps but I think that one in the video would be classed as a Clarsach lever harp. That one in the video (IF I'm right...) is essentially diatonic but you can change the semi tones by moving the levers on the top and the more skilful can raise their hands for an accidental while playing. I can poorly scratch out a slower single note folk melody on that type (the layout of notes feels natural to me - it's sort of like the white notes on piano) but getting from that to playing properly is a different matter.
Thats mostly what I do, pick out the melody. I dont strum or do anything rhythmic, its harder on your hands. I would say fingering. The ten string harp I have is not a jewish harp, its a celtic one. But I figured I wanted a 10 string one cos my guitar is a bit. Big to carry round with me everywhere.

I am no means a musician, I've only done grade one theory in music and while I can read a bit of music I wouldnt be confident playing solo anything.

One time I did bring my guitar to church and just played it in the pews while everyone else was singing. im sure maybe some people looked at me weird like I wasnt supposed to, but...im not going up the front. Lol. I dont want everyone looking at me.

Please, can you provide a scriptural basis for this.

There is a brother locally who is paraplegic, he's paralysed from the shoulders down and has been so for over thirty years. This brother can't raise his hands, and can't dance either. Is he in any way restricted in his worship because of his physical disability?

Good thing he is not excluded from worshiping God with all he's got!

I think we need to pursue this idea to its conclusion... if a group of believers come together, and none of them are able to play a musical instrument, then their worship is somehow impaired? Their worship is not as full as another group of believers who can all play musical instruments?

God almost always provides people who are gifted musically in a local body. Should a group come together that is so small that there is no one gifted musically among them ---YET---then they need to worship with all they've got, nonetheless. There is no impairment. However you seem to think that musical instruments impair pure worship, which is an unsound, ungodly and antibiblical belief.

Is the church building, or the chapel, or the meeting room, or the gospel where we variously gather, "God's house"? Surely not - we are God's house. The house is a spiritual idea, not a physical one - wouldn't you agree?

Of course we are God's house, but we do come together in a house of worship, just as in the beginning, so your dogmatism is questionable, here.

Glad you like it Lanolin.

I don't speak Welsh at all. Probably the best opportunity I would have had was when we moved there when I was about 6 or 7. The Llandudo area is predominatantly English speaking but the nearby village I lived in at the time was mostly Welsh first language then. I used to think Welsh unimportant but changed my mind in later life. I've still never got as far as learning though.

To pick on another thing you mentioned in another post. I'm an ear player mostly of fretted strings (open playing in GDAE being my most familiar). My mother would probably have been grade 8 piano but things sort of clashed with her physiotherapy finals, then having me... We have a fair amount of common ground in tastes but approaches and what we can do are quite different.

On the subject of music in the church. I'm still finding it difficult to differentiate what may be matters of my own taste and traditional hymn leaning from what may be right or wrong...

Anyway, I've given it before but I'll leave you with a translation of Calon Lan:

I don't ask for a luxurious life,
the world's gold or its fine pearls,
I ask for a happy heart,
an honest heart, a pure heart.

A pure heart full of goodness
Is fairer than the pretty lily,
None but a pure heart can sing,
Sing in the day and sing in the night.

If I wished for worldly wealth,
It would swiftly go to seed;
The riches of a virtuous, pure heart
Will bear eternal profit.

(Chorus)
Evening and morning, my wish
Rising to heaven on the wing of song
For God, for the sake of my Saviour,
To give me a pure heart.

(Chorus)
Beautiful lyrics.
The welsh are quite renowned for their singing. I guess down in the mines they had great acoustics.

The concept of that shouldn't differ between believers. Perhaps your indoctrination has clouded your perception of what is true.

It is displeasing to God to be so dogmatic about this topic.

When the Body of Christ comes together to worship fully, heaven makes a visit. There is no room for the flesh.
Well... there's only no room for the flesh when we don't make room for the flesh. If we do, the flesh will be there, and the Holy Spirit will be grieved. He won't force Himself on us.[/QUOTE]

I've already said that God blesses people with natural abilities to be used for His purposes. He used singers and craftsmen, skilled in music and art, and goldsmiths, silversmiths and metalworkers to perform His creative tasks. He also used people gifted in sewing to make garments of those serving in His temple. These are all among many natural abilities that Holy Spirit quickened to life in many people to serve God and bring worship to Him! He continues to do these things today in the Church.
I don't think we can claim that the Holy Spirit is doing these things today if He has left any record of it out of the New Testament. There are a lot of things listed here. Surely the Holy Spirit wouldn't've omitted all of them from the New Testament if they were important to Christian worship?

Good thing he is not excluded from worshiping God with all he's got!
I absolutely agree. Though, has he got less than me, because he can't raise his hands? I personally believe he has a lot more than me to offer to God, a great deal of accumulated substance.

God almost always provides people who are gifted musically in a local body. Should a group come together that is so small that there is no one gifted musically among them ---YET---then they need to worship with all they've got, nonetheless. There is no impairment. However you seem to think that musical instruments impair pure worship, which is an unsound, ungodly and antibiblical belief.
These unmusically gifted believers do have less though, by this measure? They are impaired in some way, if they haven't got those talents?

Well... there's only no room for the flesh when we don't make room for the flesh. If we do, the flesh will be there, and the Holy Spirit will be grieved. He won't force Himself on us.

I suppose you have the ability to discern who is worshiping and who is gratifying their flesh, eh?

I let God handle that.

I don't think we can claim that the Holy Spirit is doing these things today if He has left any record of it out of the New Testament. There are a lot of things listed here. Surely the Holy Spirit wouldn't've omitted all of them from the New Testament if they were important to Christian worship?

I claim it because I know Him. He hasn't omitted anything. But your Church of Christ has.

Of course we are God's house, but we do come together in a house of worship, just as in the beginning, so your dogmatism is questionable, here.
Again... that really is another Old Testament concept, a physical 'house of worship'. If a group of believers gathers in the street to worship, or in the middle of a forest, or in a car park, then God's house is there. It's the spiritual structure, isn't it?

I absolutely agree. Though, has he got less than me, because he can't raise his hands? I personally believe he has a lot more than me to offer to God, a great deal of accumulated substance.

He has a reason not to raise his hands in worship. If he had the use of his hands and refused to lift them to God in praise, then it's his loss.

These unmusically gifted believers do have less though, by this measure? They are impaired in some way, if they haven't got those talents?

They have nothing missing except a musically accomplished person in their midst.

What about the christian evangelist guy with no hands and no feet, Nick vujuvic (sorry dont know the spelling) he cant lift his hands cos he hasnt got any...

What about the christian evangelist guy with no hands and no feet, Nick vujuvic (sorry dont know the spelling) he cant lift his hands cos he hasnt got any...

He worships with what he's got, which is all any one of us is required to do.

Miriams pride meant God punished her with leprosy. She thought since she was worship leader, with the tambourine she had a right to judge Moses and thought she was the one God had picked to lead.
But no.

I know some orthodox jewish congregations do NOT have musicians and worship the way you see in christian churches. They just have singing, those that do have musicians, are actually copying christian congregations. So...it cant be said that Jewish people all worshipped with loud instruments. maybe they just had loud voices.

Its the reformed synagogues that have the musicians.

I suppose you have the ability to discern who is worshiping and who is gratifying their flesh, eh?

I let God handle that.
Oh, no, I wouldn't claim that. Besides, I need to be in self-judgement, not looking at others and wondering what they might be thinking or not thinking. God will see to that. But it's my responsibility not to bring anything in which will indulge the flesh, in me or in others. That could be something as small as flowery language in prayer - embellishing my prayer with fancy phrases which I've though up, instead of just expressing what the Spirit has given me. I have to be on my guard to keep that sort of thing out. Of course, if the Spirit is not grieved, He helps to keep out the flesh, but I have to be completely dependent on His service in this way. The moment I stop depending on the Spirit and start to look to myself for resources, then the flesh is bound to get in.

I claim it because I know Him. He hasn't omitted anything. But your Church of Christ has.
The Spirit and the Word are in full agreement, aren't they?

I don't know what this "Church of Christ" is, but I'm not affiliated with anything like that.

David had a harp, his was the 10 stringed one..he played it for Saul to appease the evil spirit.
All the psalms were and still are set to music...but the music is accompaniement, not the end in itself. Its the words that are important.

He has a reason not to raise his hands in worship. If he had the use of his hands and refused to lift them to God in praise, then it's his loss.
What does he lose? And what does God lose?
They have nothing missing except a musically accomplished person in their midst.
And that is a loss... how? That's what I don't see any basis for. Are we not equipped fully by the Spirit to worship in spirit and in truth?

What's really emerging out of this is that we have to be very careful we don't get into bondage to these things earthly things, to the point of insisting on them. Really, it's subjection to the elements of the world again, ordinances by another name. If we say that worship isn't complete and full unless we have this and that, and unless we're doing this and that, then we really are in dreadful bondage. Not only that, it's effectively saying that the work of Christ and the service of the Holy Spirit are inadequate, and that we have to borrow from Jewish worship to make up the deficit. It may be legal to go about prohibiting things (and that's not what I'm proposing) but it's equally legal to insist on them as well. We have to be careful not to fall into one extreme in our keenness to get away from the other.

Well, I feel that's all there is to be said, on my part anyway. Thank you, brethren, for your patience.

Back