Catholics, Orthodox And Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply that there is no unity or even common understanding of how one is saved, which you are saying has not changed in 2000 years. If you don't do the Sinner's Prayer to be saved, fine, but a great many fundamentalists do. If you don't agree with them then you're just making my point. It's hardly a unified thing.

There is no unity because of unbelief. You need to hold to the authority of God's word, especially if you claim to be born again.

You misunderstand, as you do so often. The point is the word of God might be unchanging but the word of the scriptures and text is not.

I find that you do not understand the truth that God's word is intact and always has been and can be stood upon for truth in all spiritual and life matters.

You misunderstand, as you do so often. The point is the word of God might be unchanging but the word of the scriptures and text is not.

NOT SO my friend and that is our difference of opinion. The Scriptures are the Word of God and they can not change and the text can not change as that would make God a liar.

THINK!

YES they are!!!

I love Larry to pieces but I do not need him to confirm what is a know fact.
It is not a known fact. Not to me, and certainly not any Catholics I know.

This is my biggest issue with people who have questioned my faith in the past, they always seem to claim to know better than I do what I did, what I practiced, what I believed. I never put Mary on par with God. I'm sorry sir, I don't wish to be contrary but I have to say that it seems obvious to me that you're wrong, based on all the evidence I have and my own past experience.

YES they are!!!

I love Larry to pieces but I do not need him to confirm what is a know fact. Everything I post concerning the Catholic faith comes directly from their information which is very easy to find. I do that for ONE reason. It is to show that you do not have a problem with ME but your own faith's teachings.

RCC Catechism..............
"She, (Mary) is inseparably linked with he saving work of her Son. (Pg. 332, #1172).

RCC Catechism...............
Mary is like Jesus.
"Taken up to heaven she (Mary) did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation". (Page 274-275.....#969).

Those are NOT my words but come directly from the sources listed.

My conversation is NOT an argument simply that there is no mention in Scriptures where Mary has anything to do with salvation.

Her intercessions will not help for the Bible says JESUS is the ONLY WAY to God:
"neither is there salvation in any other: for there is NONE OTHER NAME under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." -Acts 4:12

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, BUT BY ME." -John 14:6

"I AM THE DOOR: by me if any man enter in, HE SHALL BE SAVED..." -John 10:9

Nowhere in the Bible is it said Mary is inseparably linked with the saving work of her Son. It says quite the opposite.
"I, even I, am the LORD; and BESIDE ME THERE IS NO SAVIOUR." -Isa. 43:11
"Yet I am the LORD thy God...THERE IS NO SAVIOUR BESIDES ME." -Hosea 13:4
"The GOD of my rock HE IS....MY SAVIOUR..." -2 Sam. 22:3

If you choose to reject the Bible, and follow the traditions of the RCC, it fine with me it is your choice. All I said and am saying is that there is a very big divide between the RCC dogma and the Bible definition of what constitutes Bible Christianity.

Major, you did good in citing these statements.
PeaceLikeaRiver, Major did indeed provide solid official statements from the Catholic Church.

That said, as I also love Major to pieces (really, the guy is a class act), I have to respectfully disagree with his interpretation of what these mean because it contradicts statements from the Catholic commentary -- not just from the Catechism (I'll try to find some examples). For instance, where it mentions Mary being linked with the saving work of her Son, it is speaking in regards to God's work through her, her obedience to God, and even her own sacrifice as a mother as she felt pain when her own Son was crucified. She was pretty much the first Christian and played a very significant role in Christ's sacrifice.

And the Church does indeed recognize Mary interceding in our prayers. This isn't meant to be taken as her being a second mediator between man and God -- there is only one mediator and that's Christ -- but she continues to serve God in heaven, and just as she directed people to her Son at the wedding of Cana, she continues to direct us to her Son in heaven.

This is the meaning of it anyway. It doesn't suggest Mary to be worshiped or on an equal field as her Son. Though I can understand if people misinterpret it, because without explanation, anything can be misread, including something like this.

He doesn't consider it authoritative. That is unbelief and leads to more of it.
That is an accusation.

I'm sorry, I'm not going to rise to your bait, Euphemia. If you want me to get banned, resort to prayer or something, because it's not going to happen as a result of me standing up to your bigotry. Good day.

I find that you do not understand the truth that God's word is intact and always has been and can be stood upon for truth in all spiritual and life matters.
I find that you often tell people they do not understand the truth when they disagree with you and prove you to be lacking in the facts department.

I share your concerns. Which is why I more closely identify with Eastern Orthodoxy.

However it is catholic dogma that scripture is infallible. As for the Pope, it would take a brave pope to implement a tradition that he did not believe in, because catholics hold that if the Holy Spirit could not change his mind He would simply unseat him. If you catch my drift.

I don't personally believe all the dogmas of the church, but it doesn't mean I think they are not christian.

IF they are NOT in the Bible, how then can you think that they are Christian. Do you hear what you are saying??????

YOU are saying that doctrines and teachings OUTSIDE of the Scriptures can be Christian????

Do you realize how wrong and erroneous that is???? THINK my brother!!!

If something sounds good and acceptable, that does not make it a Christian doctrine or teaching.

Listen......Bobby Joe Smoth is a really good man. He works hard and loves his family and never beats his dog.
I think that because of his actions and sincerity and hard work he can be called a Christian and can go to heaven.

NO HE CAN NOT. He must come to and accept the Lord Jesus Christ as his Saviour . WHY?????

Because no matter how good he is or how much good he does......HE IS STILL A SINNER and the only way for his sins to be forgiven is through Jesus Christ.

John 14:6 Jesus says.........
"I am the way the truth and the life, and no one come to the Father except by me"!.

BOOM! End of story. Believe or reject it......it is your choice.

That is an accusation.

I'm sorry, I'm not going to rise to your bait, Euphemia. If you want me to get banned, resort to prayer or something, because it's not going to happen as a result of me standing up to your bigotry. Good day.

You have said more than once that the translations of the bible are unstable. Why do you believe this and what bible do you think is the one we should all use for truth?

YES they are!!!

I love Larry to pieces but I do not need him to confirm what is a know fact. Everything I post concerning the Catholic faith comes directly from their information which is very easy to find. I do that for ONE reason. It is to show that you do not have a problem with ME but your own faith's teachings.

RCC Catechism..............
"She, (Mary) is inseparably linked with he saving work of her Son. (Pg. 332, #1172).

RCC Catechism...............
Mary is like Jesus.
"Taken up to heaven she (Mary) did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation". (Page 274-275.....#969).

Those are NOT my words but come directly from the sources listed.

My conversation is NOT an argument simply that there is no mention in Scriptures where Mary has anything to do with salvation.

Her intercessions will not help for the Bible says JESUS is the ONLY WAY to God:
"neither is there salvation in any other: for there is NONE OTHER NAME under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." -Acts 4:12

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, BUT BY ME." -John 14:6

"I AM THE DOOR: by me if any man enter in, HE SHALL BE SAVED..." -John 10:9

Nowhere in the Bible is it said Mary is inseparably linked with the saving work of her Son. It says quite the opposite.
"I, even I, am the LORD; and BESIDE ME THERE IS NO SAVIOUR." -Isa. 43:11
"Yet I am the LORD thy God...THERE IS NO SAVIOUR BESIDES ME." -Hosea 13:4
"The GOD of my rock HE IS....MY SAVIOUR..." -2 Sam. 22:3

If you choose to reject the Bible, and follow the traditions of the RCC, it fine with me it is your choice. All I said and am saying is that there is a very big divide between the RCC dogma and the Bible definition of what constitutes Bible Christianity.
These are taken out of context.

The inseparable link is based on her title as Mother of God.

The second deals with the Assumption and as they see her role as an intercessor like all saints. They don't believe she is greater or equal to God though.

You obviously don't agree with these doctrines and that's fine. But they're not advocating Marian worship.

I find that you often tell people they do not understand the truth when they disagree with you and prove you to be lacking in the facts department.

Nope. What about when you disagree with so many people here? What facts do you have to prove your case? I never seem to see any. Certainly you cannot use the word of God and do refuse. So, what is your authority for what you choose to believe?

Not to be a thorn in your foot but I have found that when faced with Biblical truths, a lot of people resort to finger pointing instead of repentance. But that is just me.

Not to be a thorn in your foot but I have found that when faced with Biblical truths, a lot of people resort to finger pointing instead of repentance. But that is just me.
It's not just you. It's a few people here. But you're in good company. I humbly suggest repentance be done as a voluntary thing, not because an irate person has suggested it to you.

Nope, I can still read pretty good and it seems she is right on. Now you will not like that but it seems to be the case.
That depends in the inflexibility and rigidity of one's convictions, neither of which is an indication of how correct they are.

Nope, I can still read pretty good and it seems she is right on. Now you will not like that but it seems to be the case.
If Peace is questioning Biblical inerrancy you guys would do him well to encourage his search for truth rather than bash him for it.

Fortunately I have seen the power of the Holy Spirit in my life and so I have accepted Christ. But if I was not comfortable with my faith I have to say the examples the some have given on this forum would not give me a good impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back