By His stripes we are healed

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can of course speak for himself as he is a big boy now.....but I have to say that I do not see KingJ trying to do that at all.

There is a difference between 'not needing to ask' VS not asking'.

I understand my brother as saying that "everything" does not to be prayed for!

If you come upon a person laying in the street bleeding, Prayer is NOT needed. A bandage and a phone call is required but prayer is not needed as you already know what it is you need to do for that person.

A person comes to you with a child and neither one of them have eaten a meal and both are hungry. Do you take them to get a burger or pray that someone will come along and do the will of God. YOU are in place to do the will of God.........why do you need to ask if it is the will of God?
Now your talking about common sense.

I may have neglected something. While our souls are so much more important than our bodies because our souls are immortal while our bodies aren't (from dust we came and to dust we shall return), Christ has imparted graces of physical healing. If he didn't or wouldn't, then I doubt we'd pray for physical wellness of others. There are plenty of passages of Christ healing the sick. Today, there is a sacrament of the anointing of the sick.

I may have neglected something. While our souls are so much more important than our bodies because our souls are immortal while our bodies aren't (from dust we came and to dust we shall return), Christ has imparted graces of physical healing. If he didn't or wouldn't, then I doubt we'd pray for physical wellness of others. There are plenty of passages of Christ healing the sick. Today, there is a sacrament of the anointing of the sick.

James 5:13-15.......
"Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. "

When a person is so ill that he or she cannot go to church, they want the people with the most faith in the church to come and pray. Normally, when the illness is not major, the rule is ‘pray for each other’. The elders will act just like the disciples in Mk. 6:13 who must have learned it from Jesus, and anoint the sick person with oil as they pray, so their prayer is not only heard, but physically felt. The important fact is that the prayer is to the Lord and the anointing is done in the name of the Lord. It is the Lord, not the power of the prayer or the oil, who will raise him up.

And your point is...............?
1. It's common sense to know that if a person is laying on the streets bleeding that they need a bandage and someone to call 911.
2. If you have a cold and/or headache, take Tylenol or something stronger like a Nyquil at night. And that requires common sense, too.
God has already provided people with the knowledge and skills like scientists, pharmacists, doctors, nurses, etc..to create bandages, Tylenol, Nylquil, and such for these common ailements.
What most people tend to pray for are things that seem impossible to overcome. Like ebola and cancer. Only God can protect and heal you of those if it's His Will to do so. We all going to die someday regardless. Better make sure you're saved before the day comes.

I am not saying sickness and disease is His will. I am saying it can be His will. This flesh is temporal. The only guarantee is spiritual healing.

Does it not take more faith to serve God when sick? Serving God if only healed and prosperous is surely far less then a mustard seed?

But anyways. I am still waiting for someone to explain to me what this extra faith we need for healing is. I already believe that a man who walked the earth 2000 years ago is God, that He died for me and will keep me for eternity. Do I need more faith in God? Is believing God can heal me > believing Jesus is God?

I must muster up more faith, when faith of a mustard seed can move a mountain?

Sickness and disease is NEVER God's will.

No it doesn't take any more faith to serve God when one is sick. Our faith should be sufficient to receive our promised healing and not to rebuff it. God desires us to be well so that we can serve Him fully without reservation or hindrance.

There is no EXTRA faith required for healing. It is provided in the atonement, and all we need to do is learn to appropriate it from our born again spirits into our physical bodies.

2. No He doesn't John 9:31.

Not true. You are taking the opinion of a sinner who was taught falsehoods as truth.

5. Amen. But clearly not all physical. Not all who are Christian are healed. Now if ''healed by His stripes'' is an absolute on sin, why is it not an absolute on healing?

Not all who are Christians are healed...YET. Do you put a time limit on God?

6. Weak in what faith? People are weak in their faith in Jesus. Not weak in faith that a God who created me can fix my leg. I don't think God would consider it a falling away if everyone suddenly stopped believing He could heal them. Faith less then a mustard seed VS Faith of mountain.

God is grieved when people do not trust Him in His promise for healing. Unbelief is a huge mountain one needs to overcome. A mustard-seed sized faith isn't a metaphor for size of faith but strength of faith, for a tiny mustard seed produces a strong, robust, dense tree that produces.

1. It's common sense to know that if a person is laying on the streets bleeding that they need a bandage and someone to call 911.
2. If you have a cold and/or headache, take Tylenol or something stronger like a Nyquil at night. And that requires common sense, too.
God has already provided people with the knowledge and skills like scientists, pharmacists, doctors, nurses, etc..to create bandages, Tylenol, Nylquil, and such for these common ailements.
What most people tend to pray for are things that seem impossible to overcome. Like ebola and cancer. Only God can protect and heal you of those if it's His Will to do so. We all going to die someday regardless. Better make sure you're saved before the day comes.

I agree with you. The point being made then is correct in that there are somethings which do not require prayer.

Listen brother.......I am still changing diapers and my youngest child is 37!
You're both right that these last few posts have been trivial. All led by both you guys debating on "needs" to be brought to God in prayer. Let's stop the pettiness because it's really going no where but turning people off. I haven't heard of anyone who prayed to God for simple things. Only seemingly impossible stuff.

Sickness and disease is NEVER God's will.

No it doesn't take any more faith to serve God when one is sick. Our faith should be sufficient to receive our promised healing and not to rebuff it. God desires us to be well so that we can serve Him fully without reservation or hindrance.

There is no EXTRA faith required for healing. It is provided in the atonement, and all we need to do is learn to appropriate it from our born again spirits into our physical bodies.

Really? You will then need to explain Daniel 4:28-37 for all of us............
28 All this came upon King Nebuchadnezzar. 29 At the end of the twelve months he was walking about the royal palace of Babylon. 30 The king spoke, saying, “Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for a royal dwelling by my mighty power and for the honor of my majesty?”
31 While the word was still in the king’s mouth, a voice fell from heaven: “King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is spoken: the kingdom has departed from you! 32 And they shall drive you from men, and your dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field. They shall make you eat grass like oxen; and seven times shall pass over you, until you know that the Most High rules in the kingdom of men, and gives it to whomever He chooses.”
33 That very hour the word was fulfilled concerning Nebuchadnezzar; he was driven from men and ate grass like oxen; his body was wet with the dew of heaven till his hair had grown like eagles’ feathers and his nails like birds’ claws.

Then what about........22 Chronicles 26:19-20/p>

19 Then Uzziah became furious; and he had a censer in his hand to burn incense. And while he was angry with the priests, leprosy broke out on his forehead, before the priests in the house of the Lord, beside the incense altar. 20 And Azariah the chief priest and all the priests looked at him, and there, on his forehead, he was leprous; so they thrust him out of that place. Indeed he also hurried to get out, because the Lord had struck him."

You're both right that these last few posts have been trivial. All led by both you guys debating on "needs" to be brought to God in prayer. Let's stop the pettiness because it's really going no where but turning people off. I haven't heard of anyone who prayed to God for simple things. Only seemingly impossible stuff.

All that means to me is that you do not go to any prayer meetings.

There is a difference between 'not needing to ask' VS not asking'.

Now on needs. People here are suggesting we need to ask God for healing and believe it or else we do not get it. Do you agree or disagree with that...iro needs? Consider:

1. Do your kids need to ask you for medical attention if they sick?
2. If your kid is not confident when they ask you for medical help, you will not help them?
3. Does your kid have to know and quote your 'written will' before you will help them with medicine?

Please for ease of discussion simply reply with a yes or no.

We don't need to ask God for healing. We already have it as God's promise in our born again spirits. He has already done for us all that we need.

Ephesians 1:3
All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ.

The same power that raised Jesus from the dead is living in us. We can be assured that we have His healing already, and walk in that assurance.

Ephesians 1:19-20
I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power 20 that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms.

Healing is yours. You don't need to try to get God to do something for you he has already provided. You need to cast aside doubt, believe the truth and defend your healing against the enemy, mostly which is your own mind of doubt.

King......I think you already know that there are some people who are so entrenched in their personal and denominational theologies they simply can not see and grasp the simpleness of the Word of God. The Word SAYS exactly what it says but MAN in his desire to understand what HE wants it to say must add his meaning and his clarity when NONE is needed.

Isaiah was very clear IMO. It is absolutely obvious that Isaiah was giving us the doctrine of Substitutionary Atonement. Christ dies to pay the penalty for OUR sins and transgressions. Christ suffered the guilt of our sins and born the punishment that was due to us because of those SINS.

The idea of PHYSICAL healing simply is not there!!!!

That is coming from one who is "so entrenched in their personal and denominational theologies they simply can not see and grasp the simpleness of the Word of God."

Physical healing is included in the atonement. One has to be blind to miss it.

Really? You will then need to explain Daniel 4:28-37 for all of us............
28 All this came upon King Nebuchadnezzar. 29 At the end of the twelve months he was walking about the royal palace of Babylon. 30 The king spoke, saying, “Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for a royal dwelling by my mighty power and for the honor of my majesty?”
31 While the word was still in the king’s mouth, a voice fell from heaven: “King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is spoken: the kingdom has departed from you! 32 And they shall drive you from men, and your dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field. They shall make you eat grass like oxen; and seven times shall pass over you, until you know that the Most High rules in the kingdom of men, and gives it to whomever He chooses.”
33 That very hour the word was fulfilled concerning Nebuchadnezzar; he was driven from men and ate grass like oxen; his body was wet with the dew of heaven till his hair had grown like eagles’ feathers and his nails like birds’ claws.

Then what about........22 Chronicles 26:19-20/p>

19 Then Uzziah became furious; and he had a censer in his hand to burn incense. And while he was angry with the priests, leprosy broke out on his forehead, before the priests in the house of the Lord, beside the incense altar. 20 And Azariah the chief priest and all the priests looked at him, and there, on his forehead, he was leprous; so they thrust him out of that place. Indeed he also hurried to get out, because the Lord had struck him."

You are discussing God's judgments on those who displease Him under the Old Covenant.

All that means to me is that you do not go to any prayer meetings.
Not yours any how............
But all I'm hearing from people are things they have battled with for the longest time that seems to not come-off the prayer lists like, cancer, diabetes, somebody getting shot, a death in the family, and such. And when you see the same names over and over again with the same problems week after week, questions come into the head like,
'what's going on?' 'are they being tested?' 'are they doing something that they shouldn't be doing?' 'are they sinning?'
But we really shouldn't be judging others if we don't have the full information about them. Only God, who is taking care of the situation in His own time. (I hope this "needs" debate isn't a reflection of you being tired of hearing other people's problems in your prayer group.)

James 5:13-15.......
"Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. "

When a person is so ill that he or she cannot go to church, they want the people with the most faith in the church to come and pray. Normally, when the illness is not major, the rule is ‘pray for each other’. The elders will act just like the disciples in Mk. 6:13 who must have learned it from Jesus, and anoint the sick person with oil as they pray, so their prayer is not only heard, but physically felt. The important fact is that the prayer is to the Lord and the anointing is done in the name of the Lord. It is the Lord, not the power of the prayer or the oil, who will raise him up.

You nailed it, Major. That is precisely the point of these prayers. The oil is a sacramental and the person praying is there in Persona Christi. The power of the prayer and sacramental is that of Christ, which of course is why we pray.

Last edited:
That is coming from one who is "so entrenched in their personal and denominational theologies they simply can not see and grasp the simpleness of the Word of God."

Physical healing is included in the atonement. One has to be blind to miss it.

Not so. I am one who is entrenched and committed in the Word of God and not denominational teachings.

You can repeat your opinions all you want, but there is no biblical support for the Atonement to include PHYSICAL healing, rather, Christ's sacrifice was to be a complete flesh and blood sacrifice in order to reconcile us to God, the flesh and blood are only separated to impress upon us that the sacrifice was complete - nothing held back. That is the biblical position and the problem is spiritual - not physical. Yet it is insisted by a few, and it seems by you is that 'by His stripes you were healed' refers to physical healing from every sickness here and now...if we have enough faith. But this is not what the Scripture is saying.

The context is spiritual healing throughout Isaiah. The Hebrews often spoke in this way. The Hebrew word which is translated 'healing' had a holistic approach, referring to the whole person, but in most cases where it is used in the Old Testament, it is referring to emotional, mental and spiritual healing. I encourage you to check out the following Scriptures; Isaiah 6:10 and Jeremiah 30:12-17. In Jeremiah 30, when talking of the suffering which had come upon Israel because of their rejection of their Maker, words such as 'wound,' 'sore,' 'pain' and 'cure' are used, but in verse 17 the Lord says:
"But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds, declares the Lord, because you are called an outcast, Zion for whom no-one cares.".
Nobody doubts for one moment that Isaiah is not referring to physical illnesses here.

A kid has to ask for healing?

''Dad I guess you didn't notice I am dying of the ebola. Please can you send me someone who knows those verses that I can repeat and think positively on....so that you can see me worthy of healing''. That is what you are proposing?

What if your kid is ilterate and deaf, but hates sin and loves Jesus?
No, a kid has to believe for the healing. We have 3 verses in the scripture, two in Greek, one in Hebrew, saying "By HIS stripes we are healed." Past tense in them both. It's protocol. The protocol is seek FIRST the Kingdom of God AND His righteousness. You must be humble to receive, recognizing there's nothing about OURSELVES that can do anything. To judge God like you did in your example is the opposite of humility. It all boils down to faith and believing the word of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back