Any here hold to Covenant Theology then?

Any one else here hold o that view of the scriptures then?
Covenant Theology isn’t so much a “theology” in the sense of a systematic set of doctrine as it is a framework for interpreting Scripture. It is usually contrasted with another interpretative framework for Scripture called “Dispensational Theology” or "Dispensationalism".

Personally I lean toward "right wing Christian terrorist!"

Covenant Theology isn’t so much a “theology” in the sense of a systematic set of doctrine as it is a framework for interpreting Scripture. It is usually contrasted with another interpretative framework for Scripture called “Dispensational Theology” or "Dispensationalism".

Personally I lean toward "right wing Christian terrorist!"
was interested to see that there are some Baptists like myself who are under Covenant theology, as when first saved years ago, all of my fellow baptists seemed to hold to just Dispy only, and those holding to CT had to be Presbartarians!

was interested to see that there are some Baptists like myself who are under Covenant theology, as when first saved years ago, all of my fellow baptists seemed to hold to just Dispy only, and those holding to CT had to be Presbartarians!

I am of the Dispensationalist catagory. That was the way I was educated and it feels right.

I am of the Dispensationalist catagory. That was the way I was educated and it feels right.
I have no trouble, with that, as only ones that think go outside orthodoxy would be those into Hyper Dispy!
And what is called Progressive Dispy seems to be close to CT theology in many areas also!

I have no trouble, with that, as only ones that think go outside orthodoxy would be those into Hyper Dispy!
And what is called Progressive Dispy seems to be close to CT theology in many areas also!

The two difference that I see is that dispensationalism views history as a series of dispensations, (Time) while covenant theology views history as one continuous story.

Second, and I think the most important is that dispensationalism believes that the church is a separate entity from Israel, while covenant theology believes that the church is an extension of Israel. IMHO, we need to be careful not to allow CT to morph into "Replacement Theology".

The two difference that I see is that dispensationalism views history as a series of dispensations, (Time) while covenant theology views history as one continuous story.

Second, and I think the most important is that dispensationalism believes that the church is a separate entity from Israel, while covenant theology believes that the church is an extension of Israel. IMHO, we need to be careful not to allow CT to morph into "Replacement Theology".
I think that we would see it more as the church today is Spiritual Israel!

I think that we would see it more as the church today is Spiritual Israel!

I can understand that thinking.

May I say to you because we are of a like mind, just as we become spiritual “sons of Abraham” by faith (Galatians 3:7), so we can be considered “spiritual Israel” when we receive Christ. In the sense that ethnicity and politics have no relationship to salvation, the term spiritual Israel presents no noteworthy problems.

However, Replacement theology, on the other hand, uses the concept of a “spiritual Israel” differently. Replacement theology essentially teaches that the church has replaced Israel in God’s plan and that the many promises God made to Israel are fulfilled in the Church instead—Old Testament prophecies are allegorized in order to make them applicable to the church. Replacement theology presents major theological problems

I can understand that thinking.

May I say to you because we are of a like mind, just as we become spiritual “sons of Abraham” by faith (Galatians 3:7), so we can be considered “spiritual Israel” when we receive Christ. In the sense that ethnicity and politics have no relationship to salvation, the term spiritual Israel presents no noteworthy problems.

However, Replacement theology, on the other hand, uses the concept of a “spiritual Israel” differently. Replacement theology essentially teaches that the church has replaced Israel in God’s plan and that the many promises God made to Israel are fulfilled in the Church instead—Old Testament prophecies are allegorized in order to make them applicable to the church. Replacement theology presents major theological problems
I would see God has still having a plan for national Israel, but that right now jews must come thru the New Covenant for salvation, as while some hold to the Jews still having a valid Covenant with God, I do not!

while some hold to the Jews still having a valid Covenant with God, I do not!
Hello YeshuaFan,

In my understanding, the covenant between Abraham and YHVH consisted of three separate parts: the promised land, the promise of the descendants, the promise of blessing and redemption.

What event, or perhaps when, do you believe their covenant with YHVH was completed or fulfilled?

Hello YeshuaFan,

In my understanding, the covenant between Abraham and YHVH consisted of three separate parts: the promised land, the promise of the descendants, the promise of blessing and redemption.

What event, or perhaps when, do you believe their covenant with YHVH was completed or fulfilled?
The Promise of all of their land will be fulfilled at second coming. but right now any Jew who wants to get to heaven and have eternal life now must come thru Lord Jesus into the New Covenant!

I would see God has still having a plan for national Israel, but that right now jews must come thru the New Covenant for salvation, as while some hold to the Jews still having a valid Covenant with God, I do not!

I agree! Some, I even heard John Hagee preach the same thing- that the Jews can keep the Torah and be saved.

NO! NO! NO! and I do not care if the Pope or a resurrected Billy Graham says they can.

They, the Jews must come to Christ in faith to be saved just like every other people!

so you all basically stick to the Redemption side , Works and Grace side of things when you read your bibles?

GRACE comes 1st! There is NO redemption in "works"

Now, after we are saved by Grace through faith in Christ, we will then have a desire to do good works. That is not to be saved or to stay saved but simply to survive Christ by allowing Him to work through us.

Fitting any label isn't a descriptor for for me personally. I'm a biblicist-ology....is that a real word?
MM

Hello MM;

If I'm correct bibiologist and bibliology are real words. You are a bibliologist who dissects the bible one book at a time, and then apply systematic theology.

If you can say, yes,
Bob, "you are correct" will make my day. 👌 😎 lol!

God bless you, brother.

I agree! Some, I even heard John Hagee preach the same thing- that the Jews can keep the Torah and be saved.

NO! NO! NO! and I do not care if the Pope or a resurrected Billy Graham says they can.

They, the Jews must come to Christ in faith to be saved just like every other people!
Yes, Hagee and others are teaching the false doctrine that the Jews and Israel still have a valid Covenant between them and Yahweh!

Back