Would You Lie To Save A Innocent Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, Mitspa - I would say you are reaching pretty far. Oh? Did you mean me? Now not lying is self righteous? The rooster still hasn't caught me in any lies. How's your tally? And if you haven't told any, does that make you self righteous, too? I'm a sinner, just trying to type and say what I think is God's truth. I don't think God loves me any more than you - or anybody else for that matter. I don't claim to know all of God's truth but I see no righteous lies in my path to Him. If you do, that's your opinion.
Well a lot of folks cant "see" the effect of religious pride, but the common trait we see in the Pharisee is a desire to be legalistic and the expense of mercy and love. Would you break the Sabbath to save an innocent life?

I see pride whenever it pops up because I have been guilty of it in the past. Again with the legal mumbo jumbo? Lies are not considered righteous in the OT AND the NT. To say lying is sometimes not a sin because of good intentions shows the road you really follow. If you want to think that Christ dying for our sins, makes lying not a sin, then you missed a bunch of scripture in the NT. When Christ says He is the way, the truth, and the life" I missed the part where He said you should lie for God. If the HS within you tells you to lie, sobeit.

Well that "mumbo jumbo" as you call it..is designed to judge the thoughts and intentions of a believers heart and to deliver them from hypocrisy first, above all sin, HYPOCRISY is that which must first be purged! Until this great tree of hypocrisy is purged, a person is just living in a religious fantasy, and cannot "see" the truth.

Christ did not call the harlot or the tax-collector or any sinner a "child of the devil" he called the self-righteous "hypocrite" a snake and a child of the devil. He said the harlot would enter the Kingdom before the hypocrite...

The Pharisee was expert at upholding the law, yet living a complete lie! The fact that some "claim" to uphold a certain commandment has nothing to do with true righteousness! Rahab..although she lied to preserve the life of Gods people, she was righteous before the Lord!

1Ti 1:7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

Would you guys break the Sabbath to save innocent life?

Why not answer a few questions directed at yourself? Truth and lies is the issue - not sabbath breaking. If you feel that lies is equal to sabbath breaking in the NT, than you would be the one beholden to OT law.

Killing someone happens when there is a complete breakdown in the spirit. The spiritual world controls the physical not the other way around. If someone has determined to kill you or someone, talking is of little use. God has placed in this world those who bare the sword to restrain these kinds of things from happening and he endorses them. Lying is not endorsed by God under any circumstances, even in the United States in a court of law we lay our hands on the Bible, and, "to swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth so help me God". It is a crime the perjure one self and people go to jail because of it.

Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval,
Rom 13:4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.
Rom 13:5 Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

Question:
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor"

Am on the opinion that commandment is on "honest testimony as related to judicial procedure" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_s...s_against_thy_neighbour#Jewish_interpretation
"Jewish law enumerates 613 Mitzvot or commandments, including several commandments related to honest testimony as related to judicial procedure."

Last edited:
That is, the topic on the OP is not about the one in the Ten Commandments...... it is more on verse 17b.? .. although false witness is mentioned as well in verse 19....

Proverbs 6:16-19
New International Version (NIV)
16 There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

Last edited:
Alot has been said about Rehab - oops I meant Rahab - and her lie(s) and the 2 spies but does it say that this saved Israel's bacon in this war that God had already ordained would be Israel's victory? Did the Hebrews need spies to see what the enemy was doing? Or was it God's plan that Rahab and her family become part of the People of God because she was part of the bloodline? Because, IMO, I don't think advocating "lies for God" was the purpose of the story. I think Rahab and her family were the only survivors. Innocent children slain with men and women. Was Rahab noted for being an incessant liar for God afterwards? Just wonderin'.

Wow---that looks like self-righteousness to me. Jumping to conclusions, also.

Is someone who lies to a terrorist or a murderer to allay his goal an incessant liar?

I see pride whenever it pops up because I have been guilty of it in the past. Again with the legal mumbo jumbo? Lies are not considered righteous in the OT AND the NT. To say lying is sometimes not a sin because of good intentions shows the road you really follow. If you want to think that Christ dying for our sins, makes lying not a sin, then you missed a bunch of scripture in the NT. When Christ says He is the way, the truth, and the life" I missed the part where He said you should lie for God. If the HS within you tells you to lie, sobeit.

I see pride in that.

No one has suggested that they "desire" to lie or has anyone boasted in that they would lie! What we have done is consider the situation based upon your condition and came to the honest position that if needed to defend an innocent life, we would do what was needful to preserve that life. If that includes a "lie" or some sort of physical reaction or what ever, its is always righteous to preserve innocent life. Much like the Lord taught that one would break the written code of the Sabbath to preserve life! Bother your continued lack of honesty on this issue, really harms your testimony before those of us who walk in true righteousness.

Why do you think that this is such a hard thing for some to admit to, when not a single person here would volunteer for an IRS tax audit.

Do you not understand that when someone says "I would lie to save a innocent life" what you are really doing is boasting and making your self look holy and just in what you would do, when in truth you could not guarantee what you really would do? Nobody can, not even the 12 Apostles who tried that same kind of thinking and fell away on the same day!!!

No, I do not see that at all. In fact, what I see from those who say they would not tell a lie to save an innocent life is "hypocrisy and pride".

I am for one NOT boasting but simply saying that I have no problem in telling a lie to save the life of an innocent person. I am admitting to the fact not bragging about it which is certainly not a holy act. IN fact, by admitting that I would is actually saying that I am failing God by such an action.

Do you not understand that when someone says "I would lie to save a innocent life" what you are really doing is boasting and making your self look holy and just in what you would do, when in truth you could not guarantee what you really would do? Nobody can, not even the 12 Apostles who tried that same kind of thinking and fell away on the same day!!!

Do you reject the Bible verses posted in comment #207?

Do they stand for nothing?

No, I do not see that at all. In fact, what I see from those who say they would not tell a lie to save an innocent life is "hypocrisy and pride".

I am for one NOT boasting but simply saying that I have no problem in telling a lie to save the life of an innocent person. I am admitting to the fact not bragging about it which is certainly not a holy act. IN fact, by admitting that I would is actually saying that I am failing God by such an action.

Then you are simply disagreeing with scripture in boasting what you would do when you can not guarantee it. Why would you pride your self on such a statement? You might not think it is pride but it is. Think about what you are saying. You are preparing to to wickedness so that maybe good may come out of it.

Is the Holy Spirit telling you say these things? Are you sure lying will save a life. Can you garuntee it would? If not, then it is sin, for what ever is not of faith is sin.

Is the Holy Spirit telling you say these things? Are you sure lying will save a life. Can you garuntee it would? If not, then it is sin, for what ever is not of faith is sin.

My dear brother. I have seen the evidence of your need to comply with the Law of God. The truth is however that you seem to have misunderstood that which you are trying to keep.

The 9th commandment says, “Thou shall not lie”. I think quoting the scripture wrongly is a bigger sin than lying. What Exodus 20:16 and Deuteronomy 5:20 actually say is “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.” For the sake of our conversation here, that makes a huge difference, because now it’s not talking about lying in general but a very specific form of lying.

Bringing a false accusation against someone is an affront to the justice of God. So it is very clear that God hates this kind of lying. This thought is repeated over and over in the book of Proverbs. That book has many references to lying but they are all in the context of lying against one’s brother or neighbor to accuse them wrongfully.

Then we have discussed Rahab several times. She was convinced that God was with the children of Israel, so she hid their spies in her house when they were being pursued by their enemies. When the soldiers questioned Rahab about the whereabouts of the spies, she said "they went that way", thus leading them in the wrong direction. A blatant lie to save the spies' lives. The point of this thread was...."would you lie to save the life of an innocent person?"

Now you ask me how would I know a lie would save the life of an innocent person? I do not know that it would because it has not happed yet. But I do know what happened when Rahad did it. Some people say that Rahab didn't have to lie, and God would have given Israel the victory even if she had told the truth. Maybe He would have, maybe He wouldn’t have. All we know is what God actually did, not what He would have done or could have done.

But this is completely missing the point. The question is not whether God would have given Israel the victory, but whether Rahab’s life and her family’s would have been spared when Israel invaded the land. I doubt very much that Israel would have spared her life if she had sold the spies out and then conceded, “Sorry guys, I couldn’t bring myself to lie.” Besides how would the rest of the army have found out about the red ribbon plan if the spies weren’t alive to tell them (Joshua 2:18)?

So the Bible clearly condemns 3 types of lying:
1. bringing false accusation against others.
2. using dishonest means to get ahead.
3. and preaching false doctrines that lead people away from Christ.

These are clearly labeled as sin, not telling a lie to save an innocent person. The Bible remains silent on any other type of lying, and so should a lot of people. There may be social consequences associated with certain types of lying, but to call them sin is to run ahead of the scriptures.

Then you are simply disagreeing with scripture in boasting what you would do when you can not guarantee it. Why would you pride your self on such a statement? You might not think it is pride but it is. Think about what you are saying. You are preparing to to wickedness so that maybe good may come out of it.

Nonsense. No one is boasting.

:) You have quite an imagination. I would tell Chester that the mark has bigger ramifications. Hence, only if I knew Chester would go to heaven, would I take it. I would also tell Chester that we deserve hell if we were gay ;).

Let's consider someone dear to us and not Chester. If they said they would torture your wife and kid for years, unless you take the mark, would you?

The question, I believe is implicitly making a false assumption. It assumes that if you desire to walk in love and guided by one's belief in the bible, that one could end up doing wrong at a personal level for the greater good of others. I believe this is a false dichotomy. It doesn't take into account the Holy Spirit was given to lead us into all truth and to bring us to victory over sin.

Good question but its a bit like the scenario the saducees came up with trying to disprove the ressurrection. It makes the same mistake, failing to understand the power of God.

The question, I believe is implicitly making a false assumption. It assumes that if you desire to walk in love and guided by one's belief in the bible, that one could end up doing wrong at a personal level for the greater good of others. I believe this is a false dichotomy. It doesn't take into account the Holy Spirit was given to lead us into all truth and to bring us to victory over sin.

Good question but its a bit like the scenario the saducees came up with trying to disprove the ressurrection. It makes the same mistake, failing to understand the power of God.
The first work in the victory over sin is to remove hypocrisy, "the strength of sin,is the law" Those who claim to be righteous by the law, are ALWAYS the worst of sinners. ALWAYS...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back