What Does Baptism Mean To You

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as Sola Scriptua...The gospel tells us to search the Scriptures first on all things taught. Jesus explains it plainly in John 5 v 39. As I mentioned in our previous conversation; We can accept any teaching or doctrine as long as the New Testament First Century teaches or adheres to same teachings. In other words Noone can " Add On" Whatever they like or feel is right. This is the reason we now have thousands of various Churches, Denominal, and Religious faiths.
Must stay with " The Book" 100%. Actually The Bible has an answer for every question or situation. When I was converted in late '87 I was skeptical and have spent Years searching, cross checking etc over and over. There is no errors or flaws. I will however say this...You cannot read through the Bible and learn it 1 time through all 66 books. It takes dedication to uncover the answers. This is how I learned it. Heard lots and lots of Preachers and Evangelists explain verses through preaching .

Where in John 5:39 says to search the Scriptures before everything else? From I see, it says "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life." I agree with this verse 100% naturally, but it says nothing about it being the number one source of teaching.

Where in John 5:39 says to search the Scriptures before everything else? From I see, it says "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life." I agree with this verse 100% naturally, but it says nothing about it being the number one source of teaching.
I said just to read it I never said what it stated. Did Jesus say in that verse " Search The Scriptures....and follow doctrines in the future"?? He said to search the Scriptures for proof of all teachings. And just you know thousands of years before any Bibles were ever printed...The Jewish people were taught exactly the same thing.....Read all the following: Joshua 1 v 8&9

Psalm 119 verses 104, 105, 128

Psalm 119 v 27

I said just to read it I never said what it stated. Did Jesus say in that verse " Search The Scriptures....and follow doctrines in the future"?? He said to search the Scriptures for proof of all teachings. And just you know thousands of years before any Bibles were ever printed...The Jewish people were taught exactly the same thing.....Read all the following: Joshua 1 v 8&9

Psalm 119 verses 104, 105, 128

Psalm 119 v 27

But Rick, I'm not disputing that the Scriptures ought to be studied, memorized, and used for teaching. I'm only questioning where the Scriptures points ONLY to itself as sole authority.

Which verse restricts infant baptism?
Mark 16 v 16 Jesus said: He that BELIEVES and is Baptized shall be saved.....
Babies do not posess the ability to " Beleive" every person Baptized in the book of Acts by The Apostles was an adult that can Beleive and know what they are doing.
Baptism is by choice and for Beleivers.
Jesus and Apostle Peter said You must Repent...Luke 13 v 3 &5/ Acts 2 v 38.

But Rick, I'm not disputing that the Scriptures ought to be studied, memorized, and used for teaching. I'm only questioning where the Scriptures points ONLY to itself as sole authority.
What other " Authority" could their be? Which do you deem greater Jesus the Author and Finisher of our Faith....or a Johnny come lately preacher and Church?

What other " Authority" could their be? Which do you deem greater Jesus the Author and Finisher of our Faith....or a Johnny come lately preacher and Church?
There are no Scriptures pointing to any other teachings or beliefs to be accepted....UNLESS it is a doctrine or teaching by Jesus and his original Apostles. If you or anybody on here can show me one scripture that contradicts what I just wrote, please let me know.

Mark 16 v 16 Jesus said: He that BELIEVES and is Baptized shall be saved.....
Babies do not posess the ability to " Beleive" every person Baptized in the book of Acts by The Apostles was an adult that can Beleive and know what they are doing.
Baptism is by choice and for Beleivers.
Jesus and Apostle Peter said You must Repent...Luke 13 v 3 &5/ Acts 2 v 38.

Didn't we discuss this previously in regards to the alignment of baptism and circumcision under Old Covenant? Just as a convert to Judaism has to profess his faith prior to circumcision, but that didn't restrict infants from being circumcised given their parents were of the full Jewish faith. As is the case for Baptism.

The verse you referenced is indeed true, though it seems to support the notion I agree with which is that baptism isn't something that can be taken or left. An infant who is baptized isn't automatically saved -- he must grow to believe and accept the full teachings of Christ to be saved.

Indeed, one must repent and be baptized.

Didn't we discuss this previously in regards to the alignment of baptism and circumcision under Old Covenant? Just as a convert to Judaism has to profess his faith prior to circumcision, but that didn't restrict infants from being circumcised given their parents were of the full Jewish faith. As is the case for Baptism.

The verse you referenced is indeed true, though it seems to support the notion I agree with which is that baptism isn't something that can be taken or left. An infant who is baptized isn't automatically saved -- he must grow to believe and accept the full teachings of Christ to be saved.

Indeed, one must repent and be baptized.
That is OT. Jesus said " He that BELIEVES and is Baptized shall be saved"

we now live in a different dispensation era since Jesus paid the price at Calvary...It is now His Way....or the wrong way...

What other " Authority" could their be? Which do you deem greater Jesus the Author and Finisher of our Faith....or a Johnny come lately preacher and Church? ...

There are no Scriptures pointing to any other teachings or beliefs to be accepted....UNLESS it is a doctrine or teaching by Jesus and his original Apostles. If you or anybody on here can show me one scripture that contradicts what I just wrote, please let me know.

Christ is the authority. Naturally. But that's not what I asked. I asked where does the that verse point to itself as the sole authority (or source shall we say) of Christian practice? Of course Jesus is the sole authority -- you and I would agree with that, but did He leave us with a Church or a Bible? Which came first? The Church or the Bible?

I agree. No verse permits any other teachings or beliefs to be accepted. Absolutely! There are no verses that contradict that because it's true, and I agree. Only one, true Church, and that's the Church founded by Christ Himself.

There is no verse..The other verses clearly tell everything that is needed to do to be saved.
Gotta go...be back here tomorrow around 4 PM then church at 7: 30 pm..nite

That is OT. Jesus said " He that BELIEVES and is Baptized shall be saved"

we now live in a different dispensation era since Jesus paid the price at Calvary...It is now His Way....or the wrong way...

I'm glad you said this, because this is another underlying part of the discussion. Circumcision, while part of Mosaic Law (separate from Divine Law) still has much alignment with the New Covenant.

In Matthew 5:17, Jesus said "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill."

Indeed. His way ONLY. And His way, according to the Scriptures, displays the importance of Baptism. Granted, I know you agree with me that baptism is not some thing that can be put aside, but there is much reason to believe even the Scriptures pointed to infant baptism as entire families were baptized, just as entire families were circumcised.

The idea of adults ONLY being baptized came about years even after the Reformation.

I'm glad you said this, because this is another underlying part of the discussion. Circumcision, while part of Mosaic Law (separate from Divine Law) still has much alignment with the New Covenant.

In Matthew 5:17, Jesus said "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill."

Indeed. His way ONLY. And His way, according to the Scriptures, displays the importance of Baptism. Granted, I know you agree with me that baptism is not some thing that can be put aside, but there is much reason to believe even the Scriptures pointed to infant baptism as entire families were baptized, just as entire families were circumcised.

The idea of adults ONLY being baptized came about years even after the Reformation.
Disagree.....Baptism is for Repentant Believers not babies or infants. When Jesus spoke about fulfilling the law..had nothing to do with Water Baptism, water baptism was introduced in the New Testament. Circumcison was used in the old testament as a health law. All of us must follow the exact guidelines in the NT, and not pervert the guidelines laid out by Jesus and his apostles. Joh the Baptist never Baptized baby's or infants. Jesus as our example to follow even was Water Baptized himself.
.think about it!! The RCC is fooling people if they are using the scripture about fulfilling the law to justify baptizing babys. Go by exact scriptures, not by what a church teaches. Show me one scripture where a baby or infant was water baptized in the old or new testament...God Bless

Disagree.....Baptism is for Repentant Believers not babies or infants. When Jesus spoke about fulfilling the law..had nothing to do with Water Baptism, water baptism was introduced in the New Testament. Circumcison was used in the old testament as a health law. All of us must follow the exact guidelines in the NT, and not pervert the guidelines laid out by Jesus and his apostles. Joh the Baptist never Baptized baby's or infants. Jesus as our example to follow even was Water Baptized himself.
.think about it!! The RCC is fooling people if they are using the scripture about fulfilling the law to justify baptizing babys. Go by exact scriptures, not by what a church teaches. Show me one scripture where a baby or infant was water baptized in the old or new testament...God Bless
No sense of continuing this discussion on this subject if you still do not agree with exact scriptural teachings but rather what your church " Assumes" I gave you all the Scriptures to verify use scriptures only, yet you would rather use assumption from what the RCC teaches. Let' s end the discussion we are spinning wheels...

Rick, can you show me where the Bible directly states that John the Baptist only baptized people at the age of reason? Which verse restricts infant baptism? I agree that the only verses that reference John the Baptist baptizing people, they happen to be adults, but did the Bible record every participant?

I agree -- the teachings of Christ must not be perverted. This is one subject that HAS been perverted even years after the reformation. Adult-only baptism is a more recent phenomenon. I'd even go further and say the number one thing in the New Testament that has been perverted so drastically is the Eucharist. The notion that it's only symbolic and not important, despite verses like 1 Corinthians 11:27-29 and Luke 22:19-20. This is why the Hebrews who continued to practice Mosaic Law refused to participate -- they took it as cannibalism and rejected it in John 6:50-53.

There is no verse that explicitly that illustrates infant baptism. Not one. There are a few verses that mention whole families being baptized, and it's reasonable (some would argue probable). But I'm going to have to contradict you and say that the Catholic Church is not fooling people into anything.

This is why the subject of Sola Scriptura needs to be heavily addressed before we can even begin to truly dissect the subject of infant baptism.

Rick, can you show me where the Bible directly states that John the Baptist only baptized people at the age of reason? Which verse restricts infant baptism? I agree that the only verses that reference John the Baptist baptizing people, they happen to be adults, but did the Bible record every participant?

I agree -- the teachings of Christ must not be perverted. This is one subject that HAS been perverted even years after the reformation. Adult-only baptism is a more recent phenomenon. I'd even go further and say the number one thing in the New Testament that has been perverted so drastically is the Eucharist. The notion that it's only symbolic and not important, despite verses like 1 Corinthians 11:27-29 and Luke 22:19-20. This is why the Hebrews who continued to practice Mosaic Law refused to participate -- they took it as cannibalism and rejected it in John 6:50-53.

The words of Jesus he spoke in Mark 16 v 16 should be enough to believe Babies or infants do not need to be baptized . Why do you insist there is anything more??

A person has to Repent of all their past sins....don' t have to remember or even name them. Just be willing to want a total transformation in their life. Babies or toddlers do not need to Repent or can they for that matter. Repentance is the key then Baptism
read what Jesus said to his Apostles in Luke 24 v 45-47.

There is no verse that explicitly that illustrates infant baptism. Not one. There are a few verses that mention whole families being baptized, and it's reasonable (some would argue probable). But I'm going to have to contradict you and say that the Catholic Church is not fooling people into anything.

This is why the subject of Sola Scriptura needs to be heavily addressed before we can even begin to truly dissect the subject of infant baptism.

Satan succeeded in tricking Eve out of her salvation by casting doubt on what God her and Adam what they must do ( v 1) and it is the same thing going on even today...putting a thought in people' s minds.they left something out...There is more then what is written, etc, etc. Do not believe that. God is Infinite in Intelligence. Do you really believe he left a few stones uncovered to cause confusion among us?
In other words, he held back information from his Apostles regarding his plans for the NT church? You have to believe that never happened bro. Why would he do such a thing? The Bible even has a verse in I Corinth ins that states " God is not the author of confusion". Satan however is.....John 8 v 44..

Satan succeeded in tricking Eve out of her salvation by casting doubt on what God her and Adam what they must do ( v 1) and it is the same thing going on even today...putting a thought in people' s minds.they left something out...There is more then what is written, etc, etc. Do not believe that. God is Infinite in Intelligence. Do you really believe he left a few stones uncovered to cause confusion among us?
In other words, he held back information from his Apostles regarding his plans for the NT church? You have to believe that never happened bro. Why would he do such a thing? The Bible even has a verse in I Corinth ins that states " God is not the author of confusion". Satan however is.....John 8 v 44..
Genesis 3 v 1 what Satan asked Eve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back