Wandering from the Faith.

Take heart. Doubt, questioning, and wandering are normal stages of maturity for every child of God. We all experience what are called faith crises (aka Calvinist Crises) common to all Christians at some point. It is during such crises that we learn the significance of our relationship with God and we begin the journey toward spiritual maturity. If you haven't experienced a faith crisis, you will. Anyone who never has the experience needs to determine whether he/she has a real relationship with God. If you want to read a good first person account of this experience read John Bunyan's autobiography.
That which i highlighted in bold speaks to me pretty well..

Up to the other day i realised my walk was mostly wishy washy even though i had a couple of break throughs. i also sense now, slightly, that the more mature one gets the greater the trials and the more faith one needs to get through them, and im feeling a little scared because i dont think i am ready for anything too drastic to happen because of my disability...

No matter what the circumstances, it will always be His will that prevails. Having said that, it is a struggle sometimes to not stray. My biggest problem is not letting the world overwhelm my focus. It always upsets me that, when I first get up, my first thoughts are of the "things" I need to get done and not on the gift that I have been given another day to get them done.

It is a habit for me, to and from work, to listen to Bible commentaries. Too often, however, I find that my thoughts stray to what I have going on at work. That bothers me too.

Rtm

That bold highlighed is exactly my opposite, i have the gift but no desire to do.

Big hugs.

He will get us through.

im feeling a little scared because i dont think i am ready for anything too drastic to happen because of my disability...
You ARE ready for ANYTHING because God is with you. We grow from faith to faith. Faith is like a muscle; it must be exercised to grow and be strengthened. God will never throw anything at you for which you're unable to succeed by his grace. Keep your eyes, mind, and heart focused on God, and you'll succeed beyond your wildest expectations.

You have to find ways of saying well Jesus died for you though many people seem uncomfortable with the idea that they do anything wrong and they'll die in their sins, like they reckon everyone dies anyway and it doesn't matter. But I think this takes time when peoples hearts are open to receive the truth.
Ayn Rand was a Russian Jewish writer in the 20th century who was a huge proponent of the United States, Western thought, capitalism, and individualism. Despite being atheist, she is popular with many Christian conservatives and libertarians in the United States because Americans are big on individualism and capitalism, and these ideas are a big part of conservative American identity.

The problem with extreme individualism is you can't see your connection with others. Rand even taught that altruism was bad. Her ideas aren't entirely compatible with Christianity, but here in the States, we often overlook that because we blend all these things together with Christianity in our culture. Individualism can lead us to think we're entirely self sufficient. We don't need others. We just need ourselves. We don't need church. We just need me, myself, and my Bible. My parents thought they didn't need church. They were proud to come to their own conclusions on the Bible, individual and separate from any group. They didn't need anyone's help.

But extreme individualism is every bit as bad and ungodly as extreme collectivism (communism). Why would I need God or the church when I can just rely on the comforts of capitalism, me, myself, and my ability to do things on my own?

Needless to say, I think Rand has been a terrible influence. It's easy to call out Marxists, but people don't see the damage her thought has caused as readily because she supported a lot of ideas conservatives typically espouse.
oh ok
That's kind of strange that she was Russian when it seemed the US had that 'cold war' with the Russians but she was embraced by christian conservatives?!
What did you do with her writing? I would have chucked those books away after I converted as I did with any occult writing or books by atheists.

Working for a public school system, introducing yourself with "I'm a Christian" would cause (potentially) some serious issues. My job requires me to advocate for the truth, even when it conflicts with my own beliefs.

My office has conducted investigations on all kinds of related issues:

a. Teacher called two students to the front of the class and told them both that if they did not stop being gay, they would go to hell.
b. Teacher displayed a transgender student's school record to the entire class to show that the student might look female but is a biological male.
c. Teacher took part of her class to the back of the school to baptize one in hopes that would make him a better student.
d. Teacher refusing to call students by their gender of choice vs their gender of birth.
e. For "Gay pride month," teacher does TikTok video in her classroom with all of her gay students and then posts it to social media.

a, b, and c did not end well for the teachers.
d. is ok, as Florida law protects her.
e. is in the works. If the activity is a school sponsored event (which it is) and the student's parents signed a media release form at the start of the school year (which they probably did), she did nothing wrong.
I think those things are wrong but being a christian does not mean you go round judging others. The only way you can disciple anyone is if they've actually chosen to follow Jesus and God places you in that role.

That's not a teachers job in a school, its more to lead by example and also show God's love, kindness and mercy. Principals may have that power to discipline and punish, but not the teacher. As most public schools are compulsory and open to everyone (christian or not) you should be allowed to say if you are Christian just as those who are Muslim and Hindu or atheists are. I am not going to hell because I don't fast on Ramadan for example.

When we do Bibles in school, its only for those who opt in to be there to learn about God, those who have ears to hear will hear, those who won't, will not.

Conviction takes place with the Holy Spirit not our job to convict anyone. We may have words to say about it but it's only when peoples heats are open to receive. What we CAN do is prepare hearts and we do that by loving others.

Via dolorossa what is your disability? I'm sorry I didn't know you had one. Does it make life difficult?
Sometimes disabilities lead us closer to God because He is able when we are limited.

This is one of those questions where we benefit from honesty. It doesn't do anyone any good to put up a stiff upper lip and say we are never tempted since I believe we all are. I know I am. My experience of God is difficult to reconcile with what is written in the Bible. I have tried to turn my back on my experience and exclusively embrace the written word instead, but frankly that's not working. There is far more to God than can be captured in text -- any text -- so I'll just leave it at that.

OK, Bob. What would you like to know?

Good morning, Jason;

After reading your post I am asking to understand what you were sharing.

Please elaborate,
brother.

God bless you, Jason.

Good morning, Jason;

After reading your post I am asking to understand what you were sharing.

Please elaborate,
brother.

God bless you, Jason.

I will certainly try, my friend.

The OP asked whether we have found ourselves wandering off, or wanting to wander off, from the faith. It's in response to this that I say we are all tempted. The fact is Christianity is hard. It makes incredible demands on those who follow it. Life would be so much easier to simply adopt a faith that accepts us as we are instead of demanding that we change. Not my will but thine be done -- the essence of Christianity -- is a hard pill to swallow. As Romans says, we're all evil in our core. We desire to satisfy ourselves first, thus the essence of sin, and for that we're damned but for the grace of God.

The OP also asked about reading other spiritual material. In response to that I wrote, "there is far more to God than can be captured in text." By this I mean mankind from the beginning has been seeking to understand God and to capture this understanding in words. My feeling is this cannot be done for the simple reason that God is ineffable. We all know God. He is experienced deep within our being and it's natural to want to describe that experience to another. Unfortunately our only means of description is with words, and that's where everything falls apart. In many ways the Zen masters are right to simply shut up and sit in silence.

So what does this make of the New Testament? Well, my studies have taken me to the point where I believe it's true. It's all true, exactly as written. The one possible exception is Revelation, which is either a vision from God to John or a bizarre fever dream. I honestly don't know what to make of that book.

What about other religions? I don't know and that's the core problem.

Oh dear
Can you do computer work?
I notice ADHD sufferers tend to zone out and play computer games because when they push the buttons the computer responds to that action immediately and reinforces that behaviour by giving rewards points etc.

Like pigeons pecking at a button.
Sometimes the computer is a becomes a better baby-sitter than a mother is. Cos computers operate in binary code and flowcharts and have set programs.

I once did a paper on human computer interaction, and it was pretty funny. This was in Singapore where the tech was 5-10 years ahead of what it was in my own country. People genuinely thought that robots would replace everyone's jobs. I mean planes have automatic pilots now.

Oh dear
Can you do computer work?
I notice ADHD sufferers tend to zone out and play computer games because when they push the buttons the computer responds to that action immediately and reinforces that behaviour by giving rewards points etc.

Like pigeons pecking at a button.
Sometimes the computer is a becomes a better baby-sitter than a mother is. Cos computers operate in binary code and flowcharts and have set programs.

I once did a paper on human computer interaction, and it was pretty funny. This was in Singapore where the tech was 5-10 years ahead of what it was in my own country. People genuinely thought that robots would replace everyone's jobs. I mean planes have automatic pilots now.
My brain doesn’t seem to care for reward points. But it does like stimulating activities.
I am not a gamer but I like to create music.
When I’m making music I never space out but I do when spoken conversations get tedious and prefer written words as I can concentrate and go back and re read what’s said.

I will certainly try, my friend. The OP asked whether we have found ourselves wandering off, or wanting to wander off, from the faith. It's in response to this that I say we are all tempted. The fact is Christianity is hard. It makes incredible demands on those who follow it. Life would be so much easier to simply adopt a faith that accepts us as we are instead of demanding that we change. Not my will but thine be done -- the essence of Christianity -- is a hard pill to swallow. As Romans says, we're all evil in our core. We desire to satisfy ourselves first, thus the essence of sin, and for that we're damned but for the grace of God. The OP also asked about reading other spiritual material. In response to that I wrote, "there is far more to God than can be captured in text." By this I mean mankind from the beginning has been seeking to understand God and to capture this understanding in words. My feeling is this cannot be done for the simple reason that God is ineffable. We all know God. He is experienced deep within our being and it's natural to want to describe that experience to another. Unfortunately our only means of description is with words, and that's where everything falls apart. In many ways the Zen masters are right to simply shut up and sit in silence. So what does this make of the New Testament? Well, my studies have taken me to the point where I believe it's true. It's all true, exactly as written. The one possible exception is Revelation, which is either a vision from God to John or a bizarre fever dream. I honestly don't know what to make of that book.
What about other religions? I don't know and that's the core problem.

Hey Jason;

Thank you, man.

I know you love the Lord beside you and others being readers. But this does not dismiss the many core questions we all have of Him. I have my own specific questions too that I may share later in this topic.

God bless you for sharing.

I had a period where I didn't want to know God, it was too hard to follow His word. I don't think I fully rejected Him, I just stuck my head in the sand and tried all manner of things to change my life or to have control over where my life was going, instead of trusting in Him and His plan for me.

Even though we may falter, and stray, God's love and grace knows no bounds and He will never forsake us.

Luke 15

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

Luke 19

"9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.””

I had a period where I didn't want to know God, it was too hard to follow His word. I don't think I fully rejected Him, I just stuck my head in the sand and tried all manner of things to change my life or to have control over where my life was going, instead of trusting in Him and His plan for me. Even though we may falter, and stray, God's love and grace knows no bounds and He will never forsake us. Luke 15 31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’” Luke 19 "9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.””

Hello Tery;

I just logged on with my morning cup of coffee and read your post. Thank you for sharing what many of us encounter and I agree with you.

Praise Him for His faithfulness to seek and bring us back.

God bless
you, Tery, and your entire family.

Take heart. Doubt, questioning, and wandering are normal stages of maturity for every child of God. We all experience what are called faith crises (aka Calvinist Crises) common to all Christians at some point. It is during such crises that we learn the significance of our relationship with God and we begin the journey toward spiritual maturity. If you haven't experienced a faith crisis, you will. Anyone who never has the experience needs to determine whether he/she has a real relationship with God. If you want to read a good first person account of this experience read John Bunyan's autobiography.
Amen!

Working for a public school system, introducing yourself with "I'm a Christian" would cause (potentially) some serious issues. My job requires me to advocate for the truth, even when it conflicts with my own beliefs.

My office has conducted investigations on all kinds of related issues:

a. Teacher called two students to the front of the class and told them both that if they did not stop being gay, they would go to hell.
b. Teacher displayed a transgender student's school record to the entire class to show that the student might look female but is a biological male.
c. Teacher took part of her class to the back of the school to baptize one in hopes that would make him a better student.
d. Teacher refusing to call students by their gender of choice vs their gender of birth.
e. For "Gay pride month," teacher does TikTok video in her classroom with all of her gay students and then posts it to social media.

a, b, and c did not end well for the teachers.
d. is ok, as Florida law protects her.
e. is in the works. If the activity is a school sponsored event (which it is) and the student's parents signed a media release form at the start of the school year (which they probably did), she did nothing wrong.
Goes to show you that being goofy and stupid is not exclusive to police and pastors who do equally stupid stuff.

My brain doesn’t seem to care for reward points. But it does like stimulating activities.
I am not a gamer but I like to create music.
When I’m making music I never space out but I do when spoken conversations get tedious and prefer written words as I can concentrate and go back and re read what’s said.

My wife mentioned to me just this morning that music is a tool in the hands of Satan, and thus driving people to wander from the faith. To that I pointed out to her the fact that music is actually God's creation, not Satan's. Where it's true that the enemy can and does use music to his own ends, music in and of itself is not inherently evil.

I too enjoy creating music. Sometimes, however, I like the challenge of re-creating the works of others. Here's one I re-created from scratch...one that was written and performed by a British boy's choir that I've enjoyed for many years now:

Back