Wandering from the Faith.

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
Have you ever found yourself wandering or wanting to wander off from the Faith?

Or even just reading other spiritual material?

Maybe your fed up that God hasn’t answered a prayer that’s important to you.

I have a bad habit at times. I get to the point where I’m waiting for some tasty revelation or answered prayer and nothing. Zilch.nada.

But I know Jesus crook and rod and I always get brought back.that’s pretty much enough to let me know I’m a sheep for ever, but I will probably always be a wanderer which I have started to enjoy, because when I do get hooked back, I’m grateful for the lesson.

But I today have wondered about those who really did flee the sheep pen and wonder why He didn’t gently bring them back.

I tend to stray in the sense of the typical agnostic or atheist of years past. It's not for me so much about unanswered prayer or revelation, but the sense that we have all we need now because of modernity and science.

I think this was especially a phenomenon 20-30 years ago. Now it's been replaced by a lot of minorities in the West upset about the systems. But I think "the system" has actually been good to me, so the temptation is to think I have everything already because of modernity.

What I learned when younger, was that modernity/comfort/logic doesn't thoroughly answer the "big" and "spiritual" questions of life. My parents were believers, but loved Ayn Rand individualism. I often thought that individualism was enough. It isn't, and younger generations -- for all their shortcomings -- have rightfully recognized that pure rationality and individualism aren't enough. The problem today is, not so much individualism and rationality, but of identity politics, "vicitimization," and thinking the state/government needs to "save" people.

Only God can do that.

I have a bad habit at times. I get to the point where I’m waiting for some tasty revelation or answered prayer and nothing. Zilch.nada.

But I know Jesus crook and rod and I always get brought back.that’s pretty much enough to let me know I’m a sheep for ever, but I will probably always be a wanderer which I have started to enjoy, because when I do get hooked back, I’m grateful for the lesson.

But I today have wondered about those who really did flee the sheep pen and wonder why He didn’t gently bring them back.
Nope. Wandering away from God has never been a concern for me.

If He does not answer my prayers, He is still God.

Those that "wander" away IMHO were never part of the flock to begin with.

Yes, it has certainly happened to me.

Looking backwards, I recognize my trust and loyalty to God as well as my belief in the traditional doctrines of religion and scripture sometimes took a hit. I never stopped believing in God, but I have had difficult periods where I questioned my faith’s relevance in my daily life and its ability to help in my struggles.

Everyone is a unique individual with an individual story. I think most people have agnostic moments or periods in their lives when the secular takes dominance. This loss of focus may be a moment, or an extended period, but it is entirely human.

God is nothing, if not a loving and patient Father with his children. He knows and understands, Jesus is the proof.

A good example is John the Baptist the one who introduced the Messiah. When he was in a low point he sent messengers to ask Jesus if he really is the one. Jesus never tore a strip off him but he said John was the greatest among men.
Doesn't scripture say that every child must be tested? And doesn't the severity of the test speak to the caliper of the individual.
The bottom line is 'all is well that ends well.

A good example is John the Baptist the one who introduced the Messiah. When he was in a low point he sent messengers to ask Jesus if he really is the one. Jesus never tore a strip off him but he said John was the greatest among men.
Doesn't scripture say that every child must be tested? And doesn't the severity of the test speak to the caliper of the individual.
The bottom line is 'all is well that ends well.
Yes sir and of John the Baptist......He did NO miracles! That drives the charsmatics crazy.

Testing...James 1:2-4...........
“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

The testing of faith does not have anything to do with losing your salvation.

This testing is not meant for you to fail. God wants all of us children to succeed and shine brightly for Him. God brings testing into our lives to produce perseverance so that Through the testing in our lives, we will be able to grow into stronger Christians and be able to resist temptation more effectively. God is constantly urging us to grow in Christlikeness.

Have you ever found yourself wandering or wanting to wander off from the Faith? Or even just reading other spiritual material? Maybe your fed up that God hasn’t answered a prayer that’s important to you. I have a bad habit at times. I get to the point where I’m waiting for some tasty revelation or answered prayer and nothing. Zilch.nada. But I know Jesus crook and rod and I always get brought back.that’s pretty much enough to let me know I’m a sheep for ever, but I will probably always be a wanderer which I have started to enjoy, because when I do get hooked back, I’m grateful for the lesson. But I today have wondered about those who really did flee the sheep pen and wonder why He didn’t gently bring them back.

Destabilization is sometime necessary so we can get back on track with that which lays inside. For those which only have an intellectual conception, once they are knocked off there is nothing to hold them.
A good example is John the Baptist the one who introduced the Messiah. When he was in a low point he sent messengers to ask Jesus if he really is the one. Jesus never tore a strip off him but he said John was the greatest among men. Doesn't scripture say that every child must be tested? And doesn't the severity of the test speak to the caliper of the individual. The bottom line is 'all is well that ends well.

Hello Via;

Here's a twist. Yes, I've wandered and wanted until I wandered into the Faith. There will be much work ahead in our Faith but the more we become solid, we become unmoved by intices of other (spiritual materials,) books and distractions that take us away from God's grip.

Hello 2404, it's always good to read your posts. Do you preach or have you preached in the past? Your posts make a good center of topic after an introduction.

God bless you both and your families.

This is one of those questions where we benefit from honesty. It doesn't do anyone any good to put up a stiff upper lip and say we are never tempted since I believe we all are. I know I am.

My experience of God is difficult to reconcile with what is written in the Bible. I have tried to turn my back on my experience and exclusively embrace the written word instead, but frankly that's not working. There is far more to God than can be captured in text -- any text -- so I'll just leave it at that.

This is one of those questions where we benefit from honesty. It doesn't do anyone any good to put up a stiff upper lip and say we are never tempted since I believe we all are. I know I am. My experience of God is difficult to reconcile with what is written in the Bible. I have tried to turn my back on my experience and exclusively embrace the written word instead, but frankly that's not working. There is far more to God than can be captured in text -- any text -- so I'll just leave it at that.

Have you ever found yourself wandering or wanting to wander off from the Faith? Or even just reading other spiritual material? Maybe your fed up that God hasn’t answered a prayer that’s important to you. I have a bad habit at times. I get to the point where I’m waiting for some tasty revelation or answered prayer and nothing. Zilch.nada. But I know Jesus crook and rod and I always get brought back.that’s pretty much enough to let me know I’m a sheep for ever, but I will probably always be a wanderer which I have started to enjoy, because when I do get hooked back, I’m grateful for the lesson.

Hello Jason;

No, brother, please don't "leave it at that." What benefit does the question gain if we're not being truthful? Who are these who put up a stiff upper lip denying that we are never tempted?

Please tell us more and elaborate, however, if your experience with God is beyond resolve, or if you cannot share then I understand you.

God bless
you, brother and your family.

I never lost my faith, though I did stray and did my own thing in my late teens through my 20's and early 30's. In my 30's I got married for the second time and the "hook" brought me back.
I believe God doesn't answer us many times because He wants us to experience our own leading, seeing what we will do on our own. This teaches us to rely on Him and learn to follow the Spirit's lead. Failing is a great way to learn. Not the fun way to learn, but it is effective. It is kind of like a father who is holding on to the hands of a baby/toddler who is learning to walk. The father sees the child is getting the hang of it and lets go little bit by little bit to let the child learn and feel balance for themselves. They inevitably fall and do it all over again until they don't fall anymore. I think God does similar things with us.

I don't know what Ayn Rand individualism is..anyone explain?

I came out of the whole new age thing and left it all behind to follow Jesus

However, truth be told sometimes that 'hippie' vibe pulls me back and then I find myself amongst people who say they love God but they don't recognise Jesus. So I can't hang out with them too much.
Then because a lot of workplaces are not Christian or their leaders aren't I sometimes have no choice but to work there (as I agreed). Then I find myself and my faith being sidelined and that means I can't work there anymore..but sometimes you just have to accept that in many situations in the world you need to be a secret believer until God gives you the Word to say or witness to another.

Like when you meet someone you don't always immediately say 'I'm a christian, do you believe as well' and if they say yes its all good but if they say no are you immediately going to say well why not? And then pounce on them with the gospel?

However, truth be told sometimes that 'hippie' vibe pulls me back and then I find myself amongst people who say they love God but they don't recognise Jesus. So I can't hang out with them too much.
Then because a lot of workplaces are not Christian or their leaders aren't I sometimes have no choice but to work there (as I agreed). Then I find myself and my faith being sidelined and that means I can't work there anymore..but sometimes you just have to accept that in many situations in the world you need to be a secret believer until God gives you the Word to say or witness to another.

Like when you meet someone you don't always immediately say 'I'm a christian, do you believe as well' and if they say yes its all good but if they say no are you immediately going to say well why not? And then pounce on them with the gospel?
Ayn Rand was a Russian Jewish writer in the 20th century who was a huge proponent of the United States, Western thought, capitalism, and individualism. Despite being atheist, she is popular with many Christian conservatives and libertarians in the United States because Americans are big on individualism and capitalism, and these ideas are a big part of conservative American identity.

The problem with extreme individualism is you can't see your connection with others. Rand even taught that altruism was bad. Her ideas aren't entirely compatible with Christianity, but here in the States, we often overlook that because we blend all these things together with Christianity in our culture. Individualism can lead us to think we're entirely self sufficient. We don't need others. We just need ourselves. We don't need church. We just need me, myself, and my Bible. My parents thought they didn't need church. They were proud to come to their own conclusions on the Bible, individual and separate from any group. They didn't need anyone's help.

But extreme individualism is every bit as bad and ungodly as extreme collectivism (communism). Why would I need God or the church when I can just rely on the comforts of capitalism, me, myself, and my ability to do things on my own?

Needless to say, I think Rand has been a terrible influence. It's easy to call out Marxists, but people don't see the damage her thought has caused as readily because she supported a lot of ideas conservatives typically espouse.

i think you done got your answer as per those who have wondered a bit... those who say they have not i question... wondering does not have be going astray /aka backsliding. wondering can come by seeing something that needs not seen . wondering can come with our thoughts/minds getting off track .paul wrote to mortify
mortify

môr′tə-fī″

intransitive verb​

1. To cause to experience shame, humiliation, or wounded pride. ( the word also means to put to death ) the word mortician comes from this word family )
  2. To discipline (one's of the body and the appetites) by self-denial or self-inflicted privation, especially for religious reasons.
  3. To practice mortification of the body and its appetites.
Colossians 3:5
5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.

8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

is there a struggle in our Christian walk? yes is there a battle with the flesh ..what we want? yes jacob had to wrestle with himself while wrestling with the angel of the Lord . i like his words not letting go till i get blessed .

what ever your struggles keep fighting them off . i fight mine off every day... at my job i want so bad to walk out out and sing the song by take this job and shove it 👌

while i have not had the desire to fully wonder off from the faith your dealing with spiritual warfare . the devil is whispering in your ear give up walk away . Joyce Meyers wrote a book many years ago the battle field of the mind. yes it is a big Battle i like peters writing he is encouraging his readers going through a tough time.. if you read it close enough it appears as though they thought A. they done something.. or B just couldnt do it /live it.. throw in the towel

2 Peter 1
3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: " note all things"

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

feel free to p/m me we all struggle with wondering if we all will be honest ( some probably wont )

No matter what the circumstances, it will always be His will that prevails. Having said that, it is a struggle sometimes to not stray. My biggest problem is not letting the world overwhelm my focus. It always upsets me that, when I first get up, my first thoughts are of the "things" I need to get done and not on the gift that I have been given another day to get them done.

It is a habit for me, to and from work, to listen to Bible commentaries. Too often, however, I find that my thoughts stray to what I have going on at work. That bothers me too.

Rtm

Last edited:

Working for a public school system, introducing yourself with "I'm a Christian" would cause (potentially) some serious issues. My job requires me to advocate for the truth, even when it conflicts with my own beliefs.

My office has conducted investigations on all kinds of related issues:

a. Teacher called two students to the front of the class and told them both that if they did not stop being gay, they would go to hell.
b. Teacher displayed a transgender student's school record to the entire class to show that the student might look female but is a biological male.
c. Teacher took part of her class to the back of the school to baptize one in hopes that would make him a better student.
d. Teacher refusing to call students by their gender of choice vs their gender of birth.
e. For "Gay pride month," teacher does TikTok video in her classroom with all of her gay students and then posts it to social media.

a, b, and c did not end well for the teachers.
d. is ok, as Florida law protects her.
e. is in the works. If the activity is a school sponsored event (which it is) and the student's parents signed a media release form at the start of the school year (which they probably did), she did nothing wrong.

Take heart. Doubt, questioning, and wandering are normal stages of maturity for every child of God. We all experience what are called faith crises (aka Calvinist Crises) common to all Christians at some point. It is during such crises that we learn the significance of our relationship with God and we begin the journey toward spiritual maturity. If you haven't experienced a faith crisis, you will. Anyone who never has the experience needs to determine whether he/she has a real relationship with God. If you want to read a good first person account of this experience read John Bunyan's autobiography.

Back