Understanding The KJV

As a retired English professor, I can tell you that you're spinning your wheels if you expect today's average English speaker to seriously try to learn obsolete English vocabulary such as that of Elizabethan English.
I am not expecting any thing at all. This is purely for fun.

Well, I know Confectioners sugar is powdered sugar aka 10x sugar. So I would say sugary treat makers or candy makers.
Sorry no. It has nothing to do with sugar\candy.

There are two other related word forms in the Old Testament. Find those and you will have it.

Example 13: 1 Sam. 8:13
"And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cooks, and to be bakers."

I like learning obsolete/archaic words.
It's like when people back in the last century spoke about 'dudes' and always said 'groovy' lol. Who even says that these days. Nobody!

I learned Shakespeare from age 14 when we started reading the plays in school (year 9/10) Didn't get all the words but it was kind of fascinating to explore the English language that way. Romeo and Juliet, King Lear, Macbeth, Merchant of Venice...Othello

King James Bible is not quite Elizabethan, its Jacobian because it is King James, not Queen Elizabeth's Bible. I am not sure why they call it Jacobian though because the kings name was James so shouldn't it be 'Jamesian' but see the English language never made much sense. Apparently 'Jacob' is Latin for 'James' even though Jacob is a biblical name. But there is no King Jacob.

I am glad I learned English rather than Latin though, the only Latin I use is botanical names for plants and animals.
You know more Latin than you think you do. You just don't know that you know it.

obsolete - from the Latin obsoletus
centry - from the Latin centuria
apparently - from the Latin apparentem
language - from the Latin lingua

Also many children don't know what LOL means. I have to say its not short for lolly it means Laugh Out Loud.
A woman gets a text on her phone. She looks and reads a text from her mother, "Aunt Mildred pasted away, LOL."
The woman wonders what in the world is funny about Aunt Mildred dying, so she calls her mother on the phone, "Mom, why did you text "lol" that Aunt Mildred died?"
Her mother replied, "Why I was telling you 'Lots Of Love'."
She replied, "Mom! LOL means laughing out loud!"
Her mother shot back, "Oh dear! I have to call your Aunt Gertrude back right away!!"

As a retired English professor, I can tell you that you're spinning your wheels if you expect today's average English speaker to seriously try to learn obsolete English vocabulary such as that of Elizabethan English. It's not going to happen. According to reading guides, both Shakespeare and the KJV Bible are written at a 14th grade level; that's a college sophomore reading level.
AMEN!

A woman gets a text on her phone. She looks and reads a text from her mother, "Aunt Mildred pasted away, LOL."
The woman wonders what in the world is funny about Aunt Mildred dying, so she calls her mother on the phone, "Mom, why did you text "lol" that Aunt Mildred died?"
Her mother replied, "Why I was telling you 'Lots Of Love'."
She replied, "Mom! LOL means laughing out loud!"
Her mother shot back, "Oh dear! I have to call your Aunt Gertrude back right away!!"
I was at the resturant the other day eating supper. I noticed an elderly man leing on the fllor. I picked him up off the floor, and offered to take him home. On the way to my car, he fell down three times. When I get to his house, I helped him out of the car, and on the way to the front door, he fell down four more times. I rang the bell and said to the woman who answered the door, , Here's your husband!
The man's wife says, Where's his wheelchair?

Sorry no. It has nothing to do with sugar\candy.

There are two other related word forms in the Old Testament. Find those and you will have it.

Example 13: 1 Sam. 8:13
"And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cooks, and to be bakers."
So are confectionaries involved in formulating or compounding something other than delicious sweet treats?

So are confectionaries involved in formulating or compounding something other than delicious sweet treats?
Excellent! There you go!

"And thou shalt make it a perfume, a confection after the art of the apothecary, tempered together, pure and holy:" (Exodus 30:35)

Last edited:
Example 14: Rom. 13:13

"Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying."

What is "chambering""

Example 15: Deut. 11:30

"Are they not on the other side Jordan, by the way where the sun goeth down, in the land of the Canaanites, which dwell in the champaign over against Gilgal, beside the plains of Moreh?"

What does the word "champaign" mean?

"Are they not on the other side Jordan, by the way where the sun goeth down, in the land of the Canaanites, which dwell in the champaign over against Gilgal, beside the plains of Moreh?"

Alcoholic drink!

Is it a geological feature; perhaps a like a hilly area?

Back