Understanding The KJV

Example 6: Job 27:22

"For God shall cast upon him, and not spare: he would fain flee out of his hand."

What does the word "fain" mean?

So far all the examples have come from the O.T., so this time an example from the New Testament.

Example 7: 1 Thess. 4:15
"For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep."

What does the word "prevent" mean?

So far all the examples have come from the O.T., so this time an example from the New Testament.

Example 7: 1 Thess. 4:15
"For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep."

What does the word "prevent" mean?
To go before, to precede. Origen that be a little deeper in meaning . And maybe some different to our modern meaning. You might shed some light on that . I not sure

To go before, to precede.
Correct!

Origen that be a little deeper in meaning . And maybe some different to our modern meaning. You might shed some light on that . I not sure
Sure.

This usage of the word "prevent" in English is obsolete.

It comes from the Latin from prae (i.e. preposition "before") plus the verb venire = "before arriving, coming."

It might help to think of the word "advent." The Latin Ad (i.e. preposition "to") plus the verb venire = "to arrive, come."

Example 8: Judges 1:23
"And the house of Joseph sent to descry Bethel. (Now the name of the city before was Luz.)"

What does "descry" mean?

Example 9: Josh. 9:5
"And old shoes and clouted upon their feet, and old garments upon them; and all the bread of their provision was dry and mouldy."

What does "clouted" mean?

Does it mean shod or laced up?

That passage reminds me of of people these days that buy and wear jeans already ripped up to make out like they are poor except those jeans cost a lot of money. And 'shabby chic' furniture lol. Furniture that's made to look old when it's new.

Does it mean shod or laced up?
Sorry no.

That passage reminds me of of people these days that buy and wear jeans already ripped up to make out like they are poor except those jeans cost a lot of money.
You are kinda on the right track here.

"And old shoes and clouted upon their feet, and old garments upon them; and all the bread of their provision was dry and mouldy."

I should point out this is oddly worded in the KJV. The word "clouted" modifies the noun "shoes." So the shoes are old and what???

Example 10: Num. 34:5

Here is a idiom to ponder.

"And the border shall fetch a compass from Azmon unto the river of Egypt, and the goings out of it shall be at the sea."

What does "fetch a compass" mean?

Correct!

Sure.

This usage of the word "prevent" in English is obsolete.

It comes from the Latin from prae (i.e. preposition "before") plus the verb venire = "before arriving, coming."

It might help to think of the word "advent." The Latin Ad (i.e. preposition "to") plus the verb venire = "to arrive, come."
Yes the word prevent be some obsolete now from its original meaning of being ( to come or go before to anticipate, but not in the sense of to hinder. Thank you for sharing

Is it similar to surround or encircle?
Good job.

This verse is establishing a border line.

"And the border shall fetch a compass (i.e. bring around\turn direction) from Azmon unto the river of Egypt, and the goings out of it shall be at the sea."

Back