Deuteronomy 29:11, 14-15 make very clear that the Commandments were not given only to Israel. I believe I posted this in post #11 and/or #13.

Who was present at Mt. Sinai?

"Ye stand this day all of you before the Lord your God: your captains of your tribes, your elders, and your officers, with all the men of Israel, your little ones, your wives, and thy stranger (not Israel, not jews) that is in thy camp, from the hewer of thy wood unto the drawer of thy water:"
Deut. 29:10-11

Who did Moses declare the Covenant of the 10 Commandments was made with?

"Neither with you only do I make this Covenant and this Oath; but with him that standeth here with us (the stranger, not Israel, not jews) this day before the Lord our God, and also with him that is not here with us this day."
Deut. 29:14-15

It is clear within the context of this chapter that the Covenant of the 10 Commandments was given to any and all who would choose to follow the Lord God of the Bible. We could discuss/debate all day long who specifically this passage is referring to with the above emphasized portions, but what is not debatable is that the Scripture makes very clear that the Commandments were absolutely not given only to Israel.

I agree that no one should demand anybody worship, or obey, any specific way that they don't agree with, or feel comfortable with, but I do return to my earlier point that 1 John 3:4 would not exist within the New Testament if Christians are not capable of sinning today. If we have no directive within the Bible to refrain from sin today, that verse would not exist. And because it certainly does exist, that means that the Commandments are a bit more crucial for today's Christians than you seem to be conveying.

Remember, as you point out, that it is the Bible, ... God's Word ... , that is saying this; not me. If the Bible is telling us very clearly that it is the breaking of the 10 Commandments that defines sin in God's eyes, then the 10 Commandments must be held in higher regard than the position that you are proposing. How do we get around that verse if, as you claim, Christians are not to obey the Commandments today?
By the Law shall no flesh be justified. Do not put encumbrances on people whom Christ has liberated from bondage to sin. Christian liberty allows believers to maintain a relationship with God through the Holy Spirit free of the guilt brought on by people who monitor the legal obedience of other believers. That's the kind of thing the Muslims do with their religious police who beat people who don't follow the commands of the Quran to the letter all day every day.

Good points, Prim. When people point at the Ten Commandments, and claim we are required by God to keep them, they inevitably run aground of the fact that those commandments were the beginning of what God had commanded of the Israelites, and that they vowed, in that covenant, to keep them. They failed to do so, which the Lord knew they would fail. They broke that covenant.

Your points go right to the fifth commandment, which is about the sabbath in Exodus 20. We today are not required to "keep the sabbath." I have asked Torah-followers many times how one "keeps the sabbath." The primary thing at which they inevitably point in the Mosaic Law, where it talks about doing no work and keeping it holy within the fifth commandment itself. Keeping it holy is any of their guesses I've heard, since that has different meanings to different people. I've even heard people claim that going to institutional church services is how one keeps that day holy...

Uh. Yeah. Right....

The antagonists inevitably gravitate toward the fallacious claim that we therefore believe all the morals repeated in the Ten Commandments and in the Mosaic Law are rendered null and void, simply because we believe what Jesus said when He stated that He came to FULFILL the Law. I have never encountered anyone who claimed they could commit adultery on account of the Mosaic Law and the Ten Commandments having been fulfilled. Here is what the Lord said about Israel, which SHOULD have an impact upon our understanding today, but remains ignored:

Jeremiah 31:33 But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Read that in context. I encourage that.

So, given that not even Israel is no longer required to keep the Mosaic Law and the Ten Commandments, why people today think that we must keep at least the Ten Commandments is a total denial of the very words of the Lord.

Romans 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another...

See that. Rather than works through our physical efforts of studying the Law, and trying to keep it in the strength of our own hands, we keep the works of the Law because the Law of God (NOT the Mosaic Law or the Ten Commandments) is written in our hearts.

Think about it: That which is written in our hearts by the Lord Himself is SO much more powerful and internalized compared to that which is written upon stone or in parchment and paper.

It's also inevitable that the antagonist who lacks spiritual discernment and wisdom will lay claim to their being Deity by way of their words when they then say, "Well, when you don't keep the Sabbath, you're not even keeping what the Lord wrote in the heart."

Do you see how so many have idolized the Mosaic Law and the Ten Commandments to the extent that they show their belief in the idea that the Ten Commandments and the Mosaic Law define the Law of God, which is completely backwards! Jesus spoke God's Law in Matthew 5:21-48. Jesus demonstrated to them the superiority of what was not written upon stones, parchment and paper. Do you get that, folks?

But, it's inevitable that the legalists will stick to the inscribed stones and inked parchments and paper, betraying their lack of spiritual depth and insights. I hear it all the time in my dealings with Torah-ists and the HR crowd. Rather than drink the ink, and choke on the stone slivers from the carving, we must go to the depths of prayer, and give thanks unto the Lord for what He writes in our hearts.

Amen

MM
I do agree with most of what you say. Though what grew from out of the Lords day very quickly became a replacement sabbath from the legacy and the continuation of the Jewish sabbath in many ways just under a different day from the Church teaching. Though the definition from over the millennial has been a mixed bag between law and liberty on the subject. Some do say that you weren’t even game to mow the lawn or trim the garden on a Sunday anywhere up unto the 1960’s without being frowned upon

So as a Christian after the age 16 I was taught that you can't pick and choose what parts of the Bible you choose to believe. You believe all of it or none of it. You can't have it both ways.
So I'm a bit confused. Why don't we follow that one commandment ?
I'm guilty of not following it myself. The Bible says remember the Sabath day to keep it holy.
Why do we as believers throw that one aside and follow the rest of the commandments ?
Like I said at the beginning of my reply...
You can't pick and choose what part of the bible you follow. It's all or nothing.
None of this has ever made me really think about it. But i believe many of us are guilty of of not keeping the Sabath day holy.
We go to work, we go shopping. We do whatever we want after church because it's a weekend.
These readings really get my thinker going and then I have all these questions lolol.
The only thing I keep thinking is that we can't pick and choose what to believe in when it comes to God's Word.
Why is it ok not to keep the sabath day holy anymore ?

J I do think most of the 10 commandments were universally accepted even before they were chiseled by the hand of God upon the rock. We can’t pick and choose what we like and what we don’t like when it comes to scripture you say. Well sadly human nature has a track record of doing exactly that. Perhaps that was the true realisation of the 10 commandments that none of us could keep the law. The law brings death Jesus Christ brings eternal life. Are we saved by Jesus Christ or are we saved by the law or by the earthly sabbath ? Galatians 3:24 ( Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith ) Hebrews 4:3 ( for we which have believed do enter into his rest as he said. ) That be our eternal sabbath 24/7 every day and just not a singular weekly day. The law still has its purpose in many ways. As to the weekly gathering of the saints it is always good to commemorate the Lord together.

Last edited:
Well, we are always to put the Bible, and God's Ways, before the ways of the world.

God tells us "Do not love the world, or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in them." 1 John 2:15

Those who make the decision to commit themselves to the Sabbath put their trust and faith in God and they find a way to make it work. It is actually not that difficult once we let go of all the things of the world that imprison and tie so many down. Once a person becomes very humbled, all kinds of doors are opened to them that appeared to be insurmountable obstacles before.
Commit oneself to the sabbath you say much of our church history did gradually embrace that line of thinking upon the Lords day be that for good or bad. The holy day be it Jewish or Christian certainly solidified the power of both through the ages that can’t be denied. But to make it the rope of law and legalism around our necks again . No.

Deuteronomy 29:11, 14-15 make very clear that the Commandments were not given only to Israel. I believe I posted this in post #11 and/or #13.

Who was present at Mt. Sinai?

"Ye stand this day all of you before the Lord your God: your captains of your tribes, your elders, and your officers, with all the men of Israel, your little ones, your wives, and thy stranger (not Israel, not jews) that is in thy camp, from the hewer of thy wood unto the drawer of thy water:"
Deut. 29:10-11

Who did Moses declare the Covenant of the 10 Commandments was made with?

"Neither with you only do I make this Covenant and this Oath; but with him that standeth here with us (the stranger, not Israel, not jews) this day before the Lord our God, and also with him that is not here with us this day."
Deut. 29:14-15

It is clear within the context of this chapter that the Covenant of the 10 Commandments was given to any and all who would choose to follow the Lord God of the Bible. We could discuss/debate all day long who specifically this passage is referring to with the above emphasized portions, but what is not debatable is that the Scripture makes very clear that the Commandments were absolutely not given only to Israel.

I agree that no one should demand anybody worship, or obey, any specific way that they don't agree with, or feel comfortable with, but I do return to my earlier point that 1 John 3:4 would not exist within the New Testament if Christians are not capable of sinning today. If we have no directive within the Bible to refrain from sin today, that verse would not exist. And because it certainly does exist, that means that the Commandments are a bit more crucial for today's Christians than you seem to be conveying.

Remember, as you point out, that it is the Bible, ... God's Word ... , that is saying this; not me. If the Bible is telling us very clearly that it is the breaking of the 10 Commandments that defines sin in God's eyes, then the 10 Commandments must be held in higher regard than the position that you are proposing. How do we get around that verse if, as you claim, Christians are not to obey the Commandments today?

Oh, ok. I see what you're talking about. Thanks for the clarification.

So, given that the context shows the inclusion for adherence to both Jew and Gentile (stranger) in that camp, and apparently traveling with the Jews through the desert, it makes sense that those Gentiles should also be subject to the Law. Granted.

Now, if you and I were visiting Denmark, or Canada or any other country, we would be subject to their laws. With that I'm sure we can both agree.

Here in the U.S., their laws have no bearing upon us, nor are even intended to extend beyond their borders to us here. The text gives no indication that the Law was to be extended and enforced upon all Gentiles not residing with Israel. If you believe the text supports that, then I will need your help in finding that wording.

Blessings to you and yours.

MM

So as a Christian after the age 16 I was taught that you can't pick and choose what parts of the Bible you choose to believe. You believe all of it or none of it. You can't have it both ways.
So I'm a bit confused. Why don't we follow that one commandment ?
I'm guilty of not following it myself. The Bible says remember the Sabath day to keep it holy.
Why do we as believers throw that one aside and follow the rest of the commandments ?
Like I said at the beginning of my reply...
You can't pick and choose what part of the bible you follow. It's all or nothing.
None of this has ever made me really think about it. But i believe many of us are guilty of of not keeping the Sabath day holy.
We go to work, we go shopping. We do whatever we want after church because it's a weekend.
These readings really get my thinker going and then I have all these questions lolol.
The only thing I keep thinking is that we can't pick and choose what to believe in when it comes to God's Word.
Why is it ok not to keep the sabath day holy anymore ?

Good question.

The issue is not about belief. It has to do with application and to whom it was intended.

Exodus 31:13, 17
13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it [is] a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that [ye] may know that I [am] the LORD that doth sanctify you. ...
17 It [is] a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Ezekiel 20:12, 20
12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I [am] the LORD that sanctify them. ...
20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I [am] the LORD your God.

As you study the contexts of the above quoted verses, you will see that they were clearly directed at Israel, and as C-King pointed out, it also applied to the strangers (Gentiles) traveling with Israel, and those who lived within the nation of Israel. Nowhere does the text expand the requirement to the Jebusites, Hittites, Egyptians or any other nation around Israel.

The scope of intent is clearly laid out for all to see, and attempt at expanding that scope is something that I must be shown to be credible before accepting that belief as true and valid.

MM

For clarification.

As I have posted Scripture for every point I have presented, this discussion, as far as my involvement is concerned, has nothing to do with judging other Christians, or encouraging Christians to judge. This discussion is about each Christian's personal relationship with God and His Word.

Nobody here has yet addressed 1 John 3:4 which I have pointed out multiple times now.

Again, if that verse exists, how do we broadcast a nonchalant attitude to other Christians concerning the 10 Commandments? How do we demonstrate to other Christians a complete lack of concern for God's Commandments when we are clearly warned by the Bible that it is a sin to break them? We know that people are always watching our actions and attitudes concerning concepts of the Faith and this sends a message that sin itself is not a concern for Christians today.

God bless.

Good point.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

If we're going to throw into the mix the idea that John was referring to the Mosaic Law, at the exclusion of the fact that the Mosaic Law was clearly not in effect against Israel nor Gentiles, that's a license for something that I don't see as being legitimate. The word translated "law" in that verse is the Greek word "anomia." That is not the usual term used as reference to the Mosaic Law. The Greek Lexicon definitions for it are the following:

1. the condition of without law
    1. because ignorant of it
    2. because of violating it
  2. contempt and violation of law, iniquity, wickedness

Violation of law....what law? Most assume the Mosaic Law. It could then be asked what law Abraham obeyed. It couldn't be the Mosaic Law since it had not yet been written.

Furthermore, if the Mosaic Law is the end-all for discussion about law in general, then where are the priesthoods?

Generally speaking, sssuming that John believed in the continuance of the Mosaic Law as a requirement for all who love God, then Paul was obviously mistaken, and all his epistles ripped from our Bibles as allegedly being false teaching. I'm sure you're not suggesting that, but there are those out there who do.

MM

The very start of that guy's statements is that "...if it's in the Bible, it's for us, and if it's not in the Bible, it's not for us..."

The flaw in that reasoning is that there are MANY things in the Bible that are not for us, such as sacrificing animals, as Jesus commanded one of the men He had healed. Yes, Jesus said it, and even Torah-followers today don't do it.

Just wanted to throw that in as I'm about to head out the door.

MM

Good question.

The issue is not about belief. It has to do with application and to whom it was intended.

Exodus 31:13, 17
13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it [is] a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that [ye] may know that I [am] the LORD that doth sanctify you. ...
17 It [is] a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Ezekiel 20:12, 20
12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I [am] the LORD that sanctify them. ...
20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I [am] the LORD your God.

As you study the contexts of the above quoted verses, you will see that they were clearly directed at Israel, and as C-King pointed out, it also applied to the strangers (Gentiles) traveling with Israel, and those who lived within the nation of Israel. Nowhere does the text expand the requirement to the Jebusites, Hittites, Egyptians or any other nation around Israel.

The scope of intent is clearly laid out for all to see, and attempt at expanding that scope is something that I must be shown to be credible before accepting that belief as true and valid.

MM
Thank you for clarifying that for me
God bless your day 🙏

It's right there in that last emphasized part:

Ok, thanks for spotlighting that for me.

If I may, here is what the context bears out for our understanding:

Deuteronomy 29:1, 9, 11, 14-15, 22
1 These [are] the words of the covenant, which the LORD commanded Moses to make with the children of Israel in the land of Moab, beside the covenant which he made with them in Horeb. ...
9 Keep therefore the words of this covenant, and do them, that ye may prosper in all that ye do. ...
11 Your little ones, your wives, and thy stranger that [is] in thy camp, from the hewer of thy wood unto the drawer of thy water: ...
14 Neither with you only do I make this covenant and this oath;
15 But with [him] that standeth here with us this day before the LORD our God, and also with [him] that [is] not here with us this day: ...
22 So that the generation to come of your children that shall rise up after you, and the stranger that shall come from a far land, shall say, when they see the plagues of that land, and the sicknesses which the LORD hath laid upon it;

Please pardon the over-sizing of some of the key items. These forum programs provide very little latitude for emphasis.

The context, as we can see, makes it clear that what's in view of what is stated in verse 15 is a reference to future generations of Israelites and strangers in the land, those who are "...not here with us this day..." See that? The invocation of that day is an introduction of time, which speaks loud volumes to what verse 22 spells out, which is in relation to generations. Even most commentators I have found have reached the same conclusion.

This is why I would need some greater clarification as to how and why that phrase in verse 15 can be construed as referring to all the other nations of Gentiles in that time, and in all of time to follow. when it can be seen that time is the issue, and generations were generally understood to be a measure of time in the range of 40 years for a generation.

I'm sharing this for the benefit of all others here so that all can chime in with thoughts and ideas about all this.

MM

Hello Musicmaster;

The Doctrine of Shabbat
raised my thoughts. (MM and Pastors, please chime in would be helpful.)

We must understand
distinguishing between the study of the Torah, Torah-ism and Christology.

The study of the
Torah embraces the Hebrew roots, God's Law and the early Jewish and Christian Church. Here is a term I dug up from my former seminary studies called Pronomian Theology - Christian Theology who adhere to the teaching application of the Torah.

God's Law is the fundamental foundation of Israel's faith going back to Sinai and before that. The foundation of God's Law led up to Christianity while Jesus walked and talked His mission.

But then we come to
Torah-ism and this is where brother MM alludes to. Torah-ism, unlike the true teaching of the Torah, can be considered a false doctrine that followers of Jesus are required to keep the Law of Moses thus the Shabbat.

In Exodus 20:8 or the 4th Commandment, 8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.

I grew up with a Church going family on Sundays. My parents didn't teach as a young boy that I was commanded to go and as we got older they never said the Sabbath was a requirement to attend. What they did teach their kids during high school was the Sabbath was a free will decision with God, in other words a spiritual freedom to go attend worship and since we as a family kept the Sabbath on a Sunday we kept it Holy.

We love and respect our Jewish brothers and sisters and Jews for Jesus who practice the Jewish Sabbath, or Shabbat starting at sunset on Friday evening and ending after dark on Saturday evening. If there are variances of the Jewish Sabbath or Shabbat, I'm not fully knowledgeable.

At the same time, my wife and I look forward to worship every Sunday. We enjoy gathering with our Church family, what we can do to minister, pray or bless others and worship God. Our free will to keep our Sabbath with God Holy allows us to enjoy the spiritual freedom.

God bless you, MM, and your family.

That perspective would make some sense if we had evidence from Christ that supported it.

On the contrary, what we find is that Christ:

-obeyed all of the 10 Commandments. John 15:10
-taught all of the 10 Commandments. Matt. 23:1-3
-expected His followers to keep them after His death. Luke 23:54-56

When we put all of the Scriptural evidence in support of the 10 Commandments together, we begin to see that the modern assumption of forgetting about them doesn't seem to align with Scripture at all.

Even Paul speaks well of the 10 Commandments, and he is declared a loyal keeper of them by the elders in Acts 21:24.

It seems there is a negative opinion of the 10 Commandments that is based on a few select verses/passages in the Bible while there are many that paint a very positive picture of them. That is why I feel there are two Laws that are being discussed in the Bible. This becomes even more evident when we look at Exodus and Deuteronomy and discover that there are two Laws. One that was against mankind and was placed on the outside of the Ark of the Covenant, and one that is a blessing to mankind and was placed on the inside of the Ark.
Deut. 31:26
Exod. 25:16

Yes, I agree with you to an extent. Jesus spoke to those people around Him who, at that time, were still under the Law of Moses. That's why He commanded the healed leper to go and offer up the sacrifice according to the Mosaic Law, which we today, even though Jesus said it, do not obey.

Can we agree with that, or is there still a problem?

I hope that everyone keeps in mind that I'm not saying the Law was destroyed. No. It was fulfilled, and that's the one key item that remains overlooked by many.

That key word, "fulfill", according to Thayer's Greek Lexicon, for G4137, in that context and in that grammatical construct, is said to have this meaning:

"γ. universally and absolutely, to fulfil, i. e. "to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfilment": Matthew 5:17"

What did Jesus say about the Sabbath?

Matthew 12:8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.
Mark 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

To say that a Gentile working on the sabbath is a violation of it completely turns Jesus' own words around.

MM

The Doctrine of Shabbat
i had never heard of this until this. .i do like investigating things like this for my personal part. for my part in my walk. i am a simple person. i stick to the basics of the Bible . there are so many doctrines i stick with what i know. i am a rather independent person i stick with what i know.. no disrespect to the post but i am very cautious in subjects like this.

i asked a coworker the other day he is a Mormon so i asked him if i came to him asking how to be saved? what would he say his first words turn you over to our missionary team. do a teaching on levels and see if that is what you want...

he couldn't even tell me about whosoever shall or saved by grace through faith not even john 3:16 .only thing we found in common was baptism. i am a cautious person on this subject. i to grew up in Church going to Church on sunday morning. there was never no need to ask if we was going... we went my 2 cents

Hi Jnm.

I would simply suggest looking closely at what Jesus said and did in the New Testament concerning the 10 Commandments. The term Christian actually means followers of Christ. Therefore it is critical that we pay close attention to what He had to say about specific concepts and His actions regarding them.

There are a number of verses for you to start with in post #44.

One of which (Luke 23:54-56) actually shows Jesus' followers keeping the Sabbath the very night of His Crucifixion - that is after He had died on the Cross and all of the Laws of Ordinances were nullified. These were people very close to Jesus who walked with Him every day and learned His take on things first hand. If anybody would know what He intended for Christians to do after His death, these people would know for certain.

God bless

As Bob stated, adherence to Sabbath and other items in the Law of Moses are absolutely fine for those who so desire to observe them, such as the festivals, feasts, sabbaths, et al. It makes perfect sense that those who were raised under the Mosaic Law would continue in it...up to a point. That is not evidence for the requirement for such to be taught as compulsory for Gentiles.

If, then, you have something of substance to substantiate that, as some of the Hebrew Roots and Messianic Jewish friends have tried to do in the past with what was, so far, very shabby and weak defenses filled with holes, then I'm perfectly willing to discuss your items. It's not that I cannot be convinced, but that to date, I have not encountered anyone who had a plausible argument that could withstand the acid test of scripture and systematic studies.

MM

There's a lot of subject change between verses 15 and 22, but that's okay. I am good with what I have presented in regard to the giving of the Commandments at Sinai.

Subject change? Please speak more specifically, with quoted examples from that context rather than to speak in generalities. I don't understand your doubts, for I see no change in the subject matter. I provided highlighted and underlined emphasis for the continuity. Can you do the same, or even better? I welcome that.

We can next discuss what would make all of that almost irrelevant - what Jesus says and does in the NT concerning the 10 Commandments.

Then do you offer up the sacrifices such as what Jesus instructed the healed leper. After all, there were many types of sacrifices for thanksgiving, sin, peace, etc. If we pick and choose from what Jesus said, and we wish to hold to integrity, then we should define for the benefit of all here how you make those determinations in your system of teaching. I'm asking this of you because your posit seems to be all or none, right? If not, then how do you pick and choose what is relevant for today, and what is not? What's the basis?

If they were only given to a specific race of people and never intended for Christians of today, we need to discuss Jesus' handling of them during His lifetime. John tells us in 1 John 2:6 that we are to live as Jesus lived. Without going overboard on taking that to the extreme, I think it's fair to propose that we should obey what He obeyed. Especially since He taught all of the 10 Commandments to His disciples - the first Christians.

Did you see what I quoted from the Greek Lexicon from the very words of Jesus? The meaning of that key word, "fulfill" means that He showed to us how to live the Law of God, not the Mosaic Law. The Law of God is the very foundation upon which the Mosaic Law was constructed. The Mosaic Law was a schoolmaster, and one that was fulfilled, and therefore our not having any need for that schoolmaster...we who are indwelt by the Spirit, and the Handwriting in our hearts made by that Spirit of the Lord.

It's good to study Torah, and learn it, and in so doing, the student becomes acutely aware of ALL our inadequacies in trying to keep it to the letter. I suspect we both agree on that point, but to try and lay upon all others, like a load of chains and weighted steel ball.

2 Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

There are many verses throughout the NT that show Jesus discussing each individual Commandment, and some will argue the details of those passages, but we also see Him telling His disciples to obey what the scribes and Pharisees taught, but not to do as they did in Matt. 23:1-3 as they taught the 10 Commandments, but they never obeyed them. "do as they say, but not as they do" He said.

Yes. He did instruct that to them.

There is also the passage of Luke 23:54-56 that shows Christ's followers, the earliest Christians, observing the Sabbath Commandment the very night of His Crucifixion; a time when the Commandments are said by many to have been nullified.

I would ask that we let go of the extreme of "nullified" and such. I at no time ever referred to the Mosaic Law as having been nullified. I repeatedly referred to its "fulfillment." There is a difference.

How do we reconcile these things with the modern teachings that claim obedience to the Commandments is Legalism and Works Salvation and a curse, etc.?

I cannot reconcile your assumptions to the text. I say that because you are trying to assign to me an impossible task. The dichotomy I see between your assumptions and the text are too vast for reconciliation. The Jewish people practiced as they practiced. They had that freedom. The Jews in Jerusalem were zealous for the Law, as it is written. Can you show to me such a statement made in relation to the Gentiles churches? The Epistles show to us no examples of the Gentile believers in all of Asia Minor or anywhere else adhering to Sabbath observance requirement as a perpetual, ongoing practice that even Paul, Peter, or any other of the apostles taught that they should do.

The strength of your arguments seem to rest upon what they, who were under the Law, did, before the cross. I already answered that. Those same people did MANY things that we today simply cannot do, as I'm sure we can both agree. The Sabbath is indeed different, in that we don't need the temple or the priesthood to do it. We have the freedom to observe it as did they, or we can continue working. Some even observe their sabbath on Wednesday. What is that to you, or to me? That's an item I don't understand in your doctrinal stack.

MM

Legalism is the motive to obey for those who have no real faith and are trying to save themselves simply by the act of obeying. This is also labeled works salvation.

Those who have the Holy Spirit to enable and empower their obedience, who obey out of a deep reverence for God, are not practicing legalism and it cannot be works salvation as it is Christ who is doing the real work.

There are many who adhere to the Commandments out of love and dedication to God. They are not punished by God for doing so. On the contrary, they are richly blessed. Especially when the Bible tells us in the New Testament that it is a sin to break them.

God bless.
As to Legalisms. Legalism be many things. When thinking upon the dedication to the commandments as a act of love towards God. The Saul did bestow such love of the law upon the Church until corrected on the road go Damascus 26EB6C0E-6357-42FA-8F2B-873FEAFD7BD8.jpeg

For some reason, there seem to be two set of rules referred to as the Law in the Bible. One is spoken of very negatively and said to be a curse and to be against man, but the other is spoken of very favorably.

Take a close look at Psalm 119 sometime. Here are some verses from that Psalm that contradict the negative view of the Law (10 Commandments).

"Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the Law of the Lord."
Psalm 119:1
"Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy Commandments."
Psalm 119:6
"With my whole heart have I sought Thee: O let me not wander from Thy Commandments."
Psalm 119:10
"Open Thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Thy Law."
Psalm 119:18
"Thou hast rebuked the proud, cursed are they which do err from Thy Commandments."
Psalm 119:21

It is really hard to make a negative case against the 10 Commandments in light of all that the Psalms have to say positively about them.

And Matthew tells us that those who keep and teach the 10 Commandments will be considered greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven; while those who break them and teach others to do so will hardly be considered at all.
Matthew 5:19

Once again, sin is defined as the breaking of the 10 Commandments.
1 John 3:4
The. Law be many. I do count over 600 commandments for the Old Testament alone. 1 There be the Civic laws governing social life 2 there be moral law 3 there be Rabbinic law. And finally the Ceremonial law or the Mosaic law. You speak primarily of the 10 commandments of which I believe David was speaking of the entirety of the law from the 5 Books of Moses not just the 10 commandments. Yes king David much right from all his quotes upon the law. Yes all laws of God be righteous be pure be true. But was king David’s reliance on the law alone. No. It was based on faith. For as beautiful as the law be still it be deadly to fallen humanity. David fully knew that as did all the Old Testament Saints who are mentioned in the book of Hebrews hall of faith. Hebrews 11: 6 -33 which includes king David. Yes again the law be beautiful. But also deadly and fatal as mentioned in Galatians 3: 10-11 for those who walk by law alone. More so if it be by sabbaths of the law. C King what be your position on people that do not abide by the sabbath. Are they outside the ark as well ?. I’d be interested to know CE8C9C2A-23B6-4270-90D8-E211BD83A311.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread has been halted pending staff review for content and possible Forum Rules violations.

It may or may not be reopened.

`

One participant in this and other recent threads is no longer a member at CFS.

This thread may now continue, but may be edited to remove additional content from the ex-member.

`

Back