The Book Of ROMANS.....A Systematic Teaching

It kind of did at first then I realized that you were just testing me.

IMHO ...for whatever it is worth, the HOLINESS of God would in fact be the motivator of the LAW and the GOSPEL! It...His glory and Holiness would and does overshadow everything! Would it not???

Romans 3:23..........
"ALL have sinned and come short of the GLORY of God".
Testing you? I guess you 'realize' more than me.

The ONLY way to get YOUR name into the "Book of Life" is to trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as YOUR Saviour. HE then writes YOUR name in HIS book and therefore, eternal life is NOT a reward for our efforts or our deeds or works. IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD TO THOSE WHO BELIEVE!
Aren't names entered into the Book of Life since the foundation of the world?...

Revelation 13:8 ESV
and all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain.

Last edited:
Now a question..........What should YOUR attitude as a Christian toward this awful, horrible group that Paul just identified in chapter #1 be?
Hello Major, perhaps we should always remember who/what we were .. e.g. Ephesians 2:1-3 before God caused us to be born again and justified us .. e.g. Ephesians 2:4-5, remembering too/therefore to speak the truth in love to all who remain as we once were/all who remain outside of Christ today, that is .. e.g. Ephesians 4:15 cf Romans 10:17.

IOW, we should do what we can to love others toward the Kingdom of God as others did for us when we were still lost.

Or as Spurgeon once put it,

Spurgeon - If Sinners - No One Unwarned-Unprayed for..jpg

Reactions: crossnote
Hello Major, perhaps we should always remember who/what we were .. e.g. Ephesians 2:1-3 before God caused us to be born again and justified us .. e.g. Ephesians 2:4-5, remembering too/therefore to speak the truth in love to all who remain as we once were/all who remain outside of Christ today, that is .. e.g. Ephesians 4:15 cf Romans 10:17.

IOW, we should do what we can to love others toward the Kingdom of God as others did for us when we were still lost.

Or as Spurgeon once put it,

Yes sir. Our job is to tell the gospel story. God's job is to save those who hear it.

• Agree
Reactions: Papa Smurf
Aren't names entered into the Book of Life since the foundation of the world?...

Revelation 13:8 ESV
and all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain.

My dear brother.......you are opening the door of the topic we can not discuss. Rev. 13:18 is a reference to Election!

The Lamb, of course, is Jesus Christ, who freely offered Himself on the cross for our sins. Galatians 1:4 says he.....
"gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father."

The truth of this verse is seen in the fact that believers of that future time refuse to be part of the evil age over which the beast reigns.

The Lamb's book of life will be opened at the great white throne judgment, and those whose names are not found written there will be cast into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:12,15).

It is my understanding that all believers' names were written in the Lamb's book of life "before the foundation of the world".
That is the doctrine of ELECTION!

The apostle Paul wrote in Ephesians 1:4 that God chose us in Christ before the foundation of the world.

We cannot understand all that was involved in this divine selection, but we can marvel at the grace God has showered upon us.

My dear brother.......you are opening the door of the topic we can not discuss. Rev. 13:18 is a reference to Election!
I only asked because you made this comment which I could find no biblical support

The ONLY way to get YOUR name into the "Book of Life" is to trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as YOUR Saviour. HE then writes YOUR name in HIS book and therefore, eternal life is NOT a reward for our efforts or our deeds or works. IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD TO THOSE WHO BELIEVE!

What will be the Standard by which God judges the world?
His Law or Gospel?
Hello Crossnote, generally speaking, I believe that the Law is that by which God judges the world, where the Gospel is the means that He uses to save His saints/saints-to-be from it/from condemnation. That said, there is this verse to consider I suppose,

John 3
18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.​

When Major continues his comments on Romans (through Romans 2:16 specifically), I believe that I may have some additional things to say about this topic (and probably some questions, as well).

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

I only asked because you made this comment which I could find no biblical support
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but are you saying that the phrase I posted of ..............
"ONLY way to get YOUR name into the "Book of Life" is to trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as YOUR Saviour. HE then writes YOUR name in HIS book and therefore, eternal life is NOT a reward for our efforts or our deeds or works. IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD TO THOSE WHO BELIEVE!"
is not Biblical??????

I believe I understand your point. You are saying (I think) that the names of the saved have been written down in the Book of Life before there was any life at all, hence then their name was not written down at the moment they were saved??????? = ELECTION.

So maybe we are talking about a play on words here. Technically you are correct and it is not worth debating IMHO.
I guess then that the ACT of accepting Christ by faith would/could be considered as confirmation of something that God has already deemed as to have already taken place.

Maybe I am wrong and anyone is free to correct me or disagree, but it has always been my understanding that the Book of Life was the roll of those who have actually placed faith in Christ by faith and are then saved.

Consider Philippians 4:3............
" And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellow laborer's, whose names are in the book of life."

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but are you saying that the phrase I posted of ..............
"ONLY way to get YOUR name into the "Book of Life" is to trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as YOUR Saviour. HE then writes YOUR name in HIS book and therefore, eternal life is NOT a reward for our efforts or our deeds or works. IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD TO THOSE WHO BELIEVE!"
is not Biblical??????

I believe I understand your point. You are saying (I think) that the names of the saved have been written down in the Book of Life before there was any life at all, hence then their name was not written down at the moment they were saved??????? = ELECTION.

So maybe we are talking about a play on words here. Technically you are correct and it is not worth debating IMHO.
I guess then that the ACT of accepting Christ by faith would/could be considered as confirmation of something that God has already deemed as to have already taken place.

Maybe I am wrong and anyone is free to correct me or disagree, but it has always been my understanding that the Book of Life was the roll of those who have actually placed faith in Christ by faith and are then saved.

Consider Philippians 4:3............
" And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellow laborer's, whose names are in the book of life."
I guess I was thinking on the word 'before' as in before the foundation of the world and not the word 'after, as in after we receive Him.'

Romans 2:14.........
"(For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:)"
FYI. In the KJV, the parentheses around Romans 2:14–15, shows that Paul might be making a related side point with these two verses.

In the previous verse,(13) Paul argued that Jewish people living under the law did not become righteous before God merely by hearing the Law read. They had to keep the law, and keep it perfectly, in order to be truly righteous. Have you ever tried to keep the Law of God 100%. How did it work out for you?

Speaking of obeying the law, Paul mentions that some non-Jewish people—Gentiles—end up keeping parts of the law "by nature," even though they are not required to do so by God.

In other words, the human conscience sometimes prompts people to "do the right thing" even without having a written law to tell them to do it. This parallels Paul's point from earlier in this letter that God makes certain things obvious to all people (Romans 1:18–20). In this way, those Gentiles allow their consciences to become a kind of law for them to follow. They might not even know what is included in the written books of the Law given to the Israelites.

Notice that in this and the following verse, Paul is not suggesting that a Gentile who lives by his conscience will be declared righteous by God. His point, as implied here, is only that such a person is following some kind of minimum standard for right and wrong.

Romans 2:15........
"Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another".

This tells us that God can and will judge the heathen by His own conscience. Some people think that because the heathen do not have the revelation of God that they will escape the judgment of God.

But the fact is that they are not living up to the light they have. God will judge them on that basis.

Romans 2:16........
"In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel."
***********SECRETS************!

We have a false idea today that because we happen to be good, at least we think we are, we will be saved.

What is the answer we hear all the time when a lost man is asked if he is going to heaven---I am a good person!!!!
Those people will be judged and good has nothing to do with it in any way.

God will judge those "do-gooders" by Jesus Christ who said that if a man looks upon a woman to lust after her, he is guilty of adultery (Matt. 5:27-28). Every single living man in the world had better get a grip on that one Scripture. That one Scripture convicts all the men in the world. Thhat is just ONE simple example of the seriousness of our works and the idea that....."I am Good"!

Do you think that you would want the secrets of your heart and life brought out in open court????? Not the lovely good things said, but those dirty little thoughts that come to us? NOT ME!

This is another one of those Scriptures that should send us fleeing to Jesus to save us.

Those who sin under the law (Jews) will be judged by the law. However, Paul has written in the previous verses, even Gentiles might keep some parts of the law just by listening to their own consciences. After all, the same God who gave the law to Israel built into human beings a sense of right and wrong. There is no third category: all people fall short of God's standard of perfection (Romans 3:9–10).

Now Paul refers to the day when God will judge the "secrets of men by Jesus Christ." At that judgment, Paul suggested in the previous verse, our consciences will stand as a witness in regard to what we have done, right or wrong. God's judgment of Gentiles, in other words, will be as fair and consistent as His judgment of Jewish individuals who have lived under the law of Moses. Sin is sin, whether we have been given an explicit list or not.

Paul writes that, according to his gospel—the gospel of Jesus Christ—this will include a judgment of the "hidden things" of people. God will judge thoughts and secrets, as well as actions. Also, this judgment will be by Jesus Christ. He will stand as judge in this moment (John 5:22–27; Hebrews 4:13).

Again, we see the larger point Paul is coming to: nobody, whether Jew of Gentile, will be shown to be righteous at the judgment based on their own good works. Only in Christ, by grace and through faith, will anyone be declared righteous and given eternal life.

Now.....a question. Do YOU believe that the Judgment of the Lost will be an "open" event for all to witness????

Now.....a question. Do YOU believe that the Judgment of the Lost will be an "open" event for all to witness????
If you are referring to the White Throne Judgment, I don't believe we will be present, at least not to be reminded of all the gunk and junk (of others) that took place. I may be wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time. (just the 2nd time lol)

• Smile
Reactions: bobinfaith
If you are referring to the White Throne Judgment, I don't believe we will be present, at least not to be reminded of all the gunk and junk (of others) that took place. I may be wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time. (just the 2nd time lol)
Yes........."Judgment of the Lost" IS the Great White Throne Judgment. I was just wondering your thoughts on whether you had an opinion if it will be an "open" event for all to witness???? ALL being ALL of the lost of all the ages?

And NO we will not be there.

• Agree
Romans 2:17......
"Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God, 18 And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law;".
Religion was no longer a crutch for "this" man. It caused him to be proud and self-sufficient.

Light created an added responsibility which brought a greater condemnation. The Jew had Ten (10) advantages over the Gentile.
The 1st 5 are what he WAS............
1. The name of a Jew.
2. Restest upon the Law.
3. Boastest in God.
4. Knowest the will of God.
5. Provest the things which are more excellent.

The next 5 are listed in verses 19-20and they are what the Jew DID.............
"And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness, 20 An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law.'
6. Are persuaded that they are thyself a guide to the blind.
7. Are a light to them in darkness.
8. A corrector of the thoughtless or immature.
9. A teacher of babes or proselytes.
10Having in the law the outward form of knowledge and truth.

Remember, Paul is addressing a representative Jewish person (verse 17) in this and the previous verses. He is showing all the benefits that person has received because of receiving the law from God. This person knows God's will. By that, they can evaluate everything to see what is "excellent," and what is not. In other words this person has a basis of understanding.

Now Paul adds that this person can serve as a guide to the blind and a light to those in darkness. In other words, God gave His law only to Israel. WHY was the Law of God given to the Nation of Israel???????????

I believe that The law was given to set the Israelites apart from the Canaanites and other pagan nations. The Israelites were set apart from all the rest of the world by God. Through the keeping of the law the Israelites secured their position as a “kingdom of priests, and an holy nation” to the Lord. (Exodus 19:6) This unique status was reflected in their keeping of the law. Because God is holy, He gave the law to His people to teach them to be holy as well. (Leviticus 20:7-8) Because Israel was set apart for God the law was given to keep them set apart.
Thus, they had the opportunity to show everyone else what was true and who God was. They possessed the light of God's truth that others needed.

Paul, however, is leading all of this buildup to a negative. He is asking that if all these things are true for Jewish people, why don't they live according to the law?

Is that ever a loaded question?????

Paul is going somewhere with his teaching and this is called SYSTAMATIC!

This is part of Paul's short-term goal of showing that even God's chosen people (Deuteronomy 7:6) fall short of His standards of perfection. In the longer view, this supports Paul's point that all people need to be saved by grace, through faith, apart from their own works (Romans 3:22–25).

Romans 2:21-22........
"Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?
Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?"

Remember...Paul has bigger fish to fry! He is moving toward something else but is laying a foundation.

Paul has set his Jewish readers up for a series of difficult questions. His larger purpose is to challenge those who assume that being Jewish means they do not have to worry about God judging them for their sinfulness. They believe the law of Moses stands between them and God. In a broader sense, this point is meant to apply to anyone who tries to rely on their own religiosity in order to be right with the Lord.

Paul here mentions THREE common sins:
1. Immorality........Sin against others.
2. Sensuality..........Sin against self.
3. Idolatry................Sin against God.

"Teachest thou not thyself = Do YOU practice what YOU preach????

Folks......from where I sit, for many of us, our preaching is better that our living!

It is extremely sad to see those who believe that they are preachers and Bible teacher act like spoiled little brats that need to be spanked!

Paul has asked a series of leading "if" questions: If you are a devout Jew, if you rely on the law, if you boast in God, if you are sure you are a guide to the blind, if you're a teacher of the foolish and of children, if you truly have the law which you believe to be the embodiment of knowledge and truth…then why don't you follow it?

More specifically, Paul begins in this verse by asking why the teachers don't teach themselves. Those who think or say they know everything actually know nothing at all.

Did YOU know that the best teacher is always, always the best STUDENT????

He then follows with three examples of not following the law.
1. If they preach against stealing, do they steal?
2. IF they preach against adultery, do you look at and have sex with other mens wives?
3. IF you preach against idolatry, do you watch TV more than you go to church?

It's not clear what, if any, examples of what Paul has in mind. What is clear is Paul's larger point: ........
Having the law is not enough. You must also keep it. Again, Paul is moving toward a bigger question And, as he will explain later in this letter, nobody can perfectly keep it (Romans 3:10).

Romans 2:23............
"Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?

Paul has been asking a series of rhetorical questions. Now, he states his point with complete clarity.

He is correcting the misperception of some religious Jews. This exactly what men mean when they say, God speak to us through His Written word.

Then By extension, this idea also applies to any person—Jewish, Christian, or otherwise—who thinks he can be justified before God on the basis of his deeds.

The specific people Paul mentions here apparently believed that having the law of Moses, given by God, was enough to make them righteous in God's eyes. They didn't believe God would judge them for their sin as He would the sinful Gentiles.

Paul has shown that having the law is not enough if you don't perfectly keep the law. ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!

Romans 2:24..........
"For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written."

Paul quotes from Isaiah 52:5 to drive home his point that those under the law "dishonor God by breaking the law" (Romans 2:23). When Isaiah wrote, the name—the reputation—of the God of Israel was sneered at by other nations because His people were being oppressed. In contrast, Paul now says God is dishonored by Israel's own actions. By breaking the law of Moses, they give God a bad name among the Gentiles. Seeing that the Jewish people break their own God-given law while looking down on others, the Gentiles respond by speaking blasphemously about Israel's God.

This highlights and hammers home an important point which applies to believers in Christ, today

When those who claim to be Christians behave in un-Christ-like ways, it dishonors God. Non-believers see those sins and blame them on the faith. As Paul made clear earlier in this letter, that's not a valid excuse for rejecting the truth (Romans 1:18–20). However, those who claim the name of God need to be extremely careful about the kind of reputation we create in this world.

When a person who says that he is a Christian acts like a lost worldly person, then that is a reflection upon God. Think of it like this......
You are standing in line at the grocery store with other people and The Pastor at your church begins to argue with the cashier over a price. He gets red in the face, begins to get more and more angry and is cursing and yelling at the cashier. The person next to you looks at YOU and says........"ISNT THAT MAN THE PASTOR OF YOUR CHURCH"!------THAT IS WAY I AM NOT A CHRISTIAN"!

Romans 2:25............
"For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision."

Circumcision was the badge of the Mosiac system......and that is all it was.!!!!!

There was NO merit in the rite itself. That badge indicated that the man believed the law of Moses.

Now for them to be transgressors of the Law brought circumcision into disrepute. That which should have been sacred, became profane.

This thought can be applied to our church sacraments today. Water baptism is a highly thought of sacrament today, IF it is the outward expression of a work of God in the heart of the one baptized.

BUT.....it is a mockery if the person baptized gives no evidence of being saved. Listen folks......an INFANT can not give any evidence of salvation!!!!

The very same thing can be said of "Church Membership". The observed lives of some church members make a mockery of the church and of God.