The Book Of ROMANS.....A Systematic Teaching

Romans 16:21...........
"Timotheus my workfellow, and Lucius, and Jason, and Sosipater, my kinsmen, salute you."

Paul takes his pen and writes the last words himself. Up to this point he has been dictating this letter to a man who identifies himself in Verse 22: "I, Tertius, who wrote down this letter, greet you in the Lord." Evidently, the apostle said something to him, such as, "Tertius, you've written this whole thing and you must have writer's cramps by now. Just write another line and send your own greetings."

The name indicates that he, too, was a slave, because his name means "Third." In slave families they did not bother to think up names; they just numbered the children, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, etc. Here are Third and Fourth of a family of slaves. (His brother, Quartus, Fourth, is mentioned in Verse 23.) They are educated slaves who have become Christians. They can read and write, and are part of this group in Corinth.

You can picture them gathered in the home of Gaius, this gracious, genial, generous host of the city, mentioned in Paul's first letter to the Corinthians. Gaius opened his house to the entire Christian community, so here is Paul, sitting there with his friends. Tertius is writing down the letter, and the others are gathered around listening to Paul as he dictates, and profiting much from the writing of these great truths. With Paul, of course, is his dear son in the faith, Timothy, whom we know so well from the two letters addressed to him. Paul spoke of him always in the highest terms; his beloved son in the faith, who had stayed with him so long and remained faithful to the end. The very last letter Paul wrote from his prison cell in Rome was to Timothy. Paul also mentions Lucius, Jason, and Sosipater, his relatives.

Here in Romans 16 are six members of Paul's family, kinsmen who are now Christians. Some were Christians before him, but some Paul influenced toward Christ. They come from various places. Lucius appears to be the same one who comes from Cyrene, mentioned in Chapter 13 of Acts as one of the teachers in the city of Antioch. Jason was evidently Paul's host when the apostle went to the city of Thessalonica, in Macedonia. Paul stayed in Jason's home when a riot broke out in the city. Sosipater may be the man from Beroea, mentioned in Acts 20 as "Sopater." Paul met him in Macedonia and may have accompanied him to Jerusalem with the offering to the churches there.

The final name is Erastus, director of public works in the city of Corinth. You can see how the gospel penetrated all levels of society, with slaves, public officials, consuls, leaders of the empire, all sharing an equal ground of fellowship in the church of Jesus Christ. All class distinctions disappeared within the church and that is what happens whenever the church works.

I think the thing we need to remember from this list of names is that these Christians were noted for their steady, tested commitment, their faithfulness to the gospel. I must say that I am troubled today when I see Christians succumbing so easily to the world's philosophy of life -- live for your own pleasure, try to retire as early as possible so you can do as little as you can. I think that is a deadly philosophy. The early Christians did not believe that.

Four things ring clearly throughout their lives: One, they were not their own. "You are not your own; you are bought with a price," (1 Corinthians 6:19b-20a NIV). They believed that. They did not have a right to direct their lives any longer. God had sent them into the world, and God would take them through it. Second, they believed that life is a battle, a battle to the death. It is not a picnic. They were engaged in warfare that never ended until they left this life, so they kept on fighting. Third, they believed that there is need for rest and leisure at times, but only to restore them to go back into the battle. They never envisaged retiring and enjoying themselves for the remaining years of their lives. They only envisaged getting adequate rest in order to come back and fight through to the end. Finally, they understood that the gifts of the Holy Spirit among them opened up a ministry for every single believer. No Christian was without a ministry. Some of these dear people had only the gift of helps (although I should not say "only" the gift of helps, for that is a great gift.) They could not teach or preach but they could help, and they did, right to the end.

I think this passage reminds us that God has called us all to a ministry, and we all have to give an account for what we have done with our gifts. We had better find out what they are and get to work, get involved in the battle, because God has not called us to a picnic ground. He has called us to a battleground.

Romans 16:22........
"I Tertius, who wrote this epistle, salute you in the Lord."
It was common in that era for letters to be dictated by the author, while a type of scribe—called an amanuensis—wrote them down.

Romans 16:23.................
"Gaius mine host, and of the whole church, saluteth you. Erastus the chamberlain of the city saluteth you, and Quartus a brother.".

Paul is apparently staying at Gaius's house. He describes Gaius as a host to the entire church, perhaps meaning that his regular practice is to host Christians from out of town or that the church in Corinth, or some part of it, meets in Gaius's home.

It is a real blessing when a believer offers their home to you on a visit. My wife and I have had this happen several times. When we were asked to come to a church for a revival, it was accepted that we would stay at someone's home for that time. It has become popular in the last 30 years of so for the church to put the evangelist up in a nice motel close to the church. I guess about 35 years ago I was asked to preach a revival in Taft Fl, at the 1st Baptist church there. They put us up in one of the nicest motels in the area.

By the way.....there was a problem in that church. ONE deacon was standing against the Pastor in everything he was trying to do.
If the Pastor wanted to have a dinner, he objected to it. If the Pastor wanted to invite missionaries, he was against it. IF the Pastor wanted red cushions in the pew, he was against. He was even against placing curtains in the restroom windows. He even argued against the revival I was asked to preach.

I hammered the Word of God for 5 nights on how the family of God has to be united or it will fail. Before the service on Sunday morning, I called this deacon out of his Sunday School class and confronted him with the pastor.
I told him in no uncertain words that HE was allowing Satan to use him to harm the cause of Christ. I told him that he needed to either get SAVED or find another church.

The pastor was a young man and could not believe I would be so harsh with this man. Low and behold, during the service that morning, this man began to weep openly. As the invitation was given he came forward and as I looked, he ran to this young pastor, hugged him and asked to be forgiven. As I looked.....about 200 people stood in line to do the same thing! It was one of the greatest revivals I have ever been involved in!

Christian converts in the early church were found at all levels of social and economic status in society. Paul describes a man named Erastus as a city official. Depending on how the term oikonomos is interpreted, he was the city treasurer, a director of public works, or some civil officer. Some have suggested that an inscription found in the ruins of ancient Corinth in 1929, mentioning a man named Erastus as an "aedile," is this same man.

Paul sends his final greeting from a fellow believer named Quartus, a man not mentioned anywhere else in the New Testament.

Romans 16:25-27........
"Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began but now has been made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures has been made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith; to God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen."

With all the dangers facing the Romans – and every church – Paul fittingly concludes by commending them to "Him who is able to establish you." Establish means to be firly rooted, grounded, firm and unmoveable!

Paul also knows that this will be done according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ.

By adding that "According to the revelation of the mystery", Paul means this as the whole plan of redemption through Jesus Christ. Though God announced much of the plan previously through prophecy, its final outworking wasn’t evident until revealed by God through Jesus.

Now that the mystery has been revealed through the preaching of the gospel, God calls all nations to obedience to the faith.
The MYSTERY means that it had not been revealed in the Old Testament! It refers to the fact that now God is receiving both Jew and Gentile and making them into one body.......THE CHURCH!

"To God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever".
In this conclusion Paul reflects on the wisdom of God’s plan in the gospel and the fact that such wisdom is beyond man. God had a plan no man would come up with, but the wisdom and glory of the plan is evident.

My dear friends and readers, If there is anything that the Book of Romans explains from beginning to end, it is the greatness and glory of this plan of God that Paul preached as a gospel – as good news. It’s entirely fitting that Paul concludes this letter praising the God of such a gospel.

The good news Paul preached presented the God who chose to glorify Himself through the person and work of Jesus Christ, and who will glorify Himself that way forever. Amen!

This concludes the verse by verse Bible study of Romans. I hope and pray that it has helped all who have read it.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you all and keep you in the palm of His hand!

Hello Major;

Many readers and members were able to read your thread, The Book Of ROMANS.....A Systematic Teaching

Thank you for taking the time to present this profound teaching.

God bless you, brother and your family, and Merry Christmas.

Hello Major;

Many readers and members were able to read your thread, The Book Of ROMANS.....A Systematic Teaching

Thank you for taking the time to present this profound teaching.

God bless you, brother and your family, and Merry Christmas.
Thanks Bob. Getting out the Word of God is a real blessing.

Back