The Book Of ROMANS.....A Systematic Teaching

Romans 14:19............
"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

This is a 2 fold exhortation. To "follow after the things which make for peace" = is to eagerly pursue a course of action. Believers are to make a definite effort to avoid the use of food or any ohysical thing which offends another Christian. This would be the negative aspect of the exhortation.

The positive is to press forward the mark of spiritual values:
1. Righteousness
2. Peace
3. Joy in the Holy Spirit.

Romans 14:20............
"For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence."
On account of food, do not tear down the work of God. Of course the believer has the liberty to eat meat or not eat meat, but neither will commend him to God.

Put most plainly: Paul is telling these Christians with stronger faith to be willing to give up eating the meat they are free to eat if that will build up and unify the church instead of dividing it and tearing it down.

Again, though, Paul is clear: The problem is not with the meat or drink itself. Everything is clean for those who are in Christ (1 Timothy 4:4). Believers have been released from any obligation to the restrictions of the law of Moses. The wrong comes when what a Christian eats and drinks has the potential to cause another Christian to stumble by violating his or her conscience before God.

As with other verses, context prevents this statement from being abused in legalism (1 Timothy 4:4; Colossians 2:16–23). Paul's teaching is not meant to imply that those with restricted convictions get to "make the rules" for other believers (1 Corinthians 10:29–30). Rather, his point is that there is a difference between using our freedom in Christ, versus abusing it at the expense of the spiritually weak.

Romans 14:21..........
"It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak."
Here Paul returns to his TWO points:

1. Eating
2. Drinking.

Then he goes beyond those two by saying........"Nor Anything".

Anything that is questionable and is a matter of conscience for a weak brother becomes wrong for the stronger brother.

"Nor Anything" speaks to those actions done that would harm the faith of a weaker brother. What would be some of those actions........

1. Watching Movies with a "R" rating.
2. Going to a restaurant that serves alcohol.
3. Dancing with another mans wife.
4. Mixed swimming at pools or the beach.
5. Cursing repeatedly.
6. Using tobacco.
7. Drinking coffee.

Paul is calling on Christians to consider the weakness of others before pursuing their own enjoyment especially when the stronger knows the weakness of the weaker brother.

Romans 14:22..........
"The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves."
The term faith seems to signify in this place a full persuasion in a man's mind that he is right, that what he does is lawful, and has the approbation of God and his conscience.

Although Christians are free from religious rules and regulations such as those found in Moses’ law, some have difficulty living with such freedom. Because their faith is not strong, they have their own laws which they feel bound to keep. Other Christians should accept such people warmly into their fellowship and not argue with them about personal opinions which always lead to strife.

It must be understood that In addition to keeping food laws, some Jewish Christians observed special holy days. Also, the First church has made up mostly of Jews who had accepted Christ. They had a real problem turning away from what they had been taught their whole life.

So then, The principle of the individual’s responsibility to Christ again applies. Both strong and weak Christians recognize Christ’s lordship in such matters, and all should make up their minds about what they believe is right for them in the circumstances. Christians live not to please themselves but to please Christ, who bought them for himself through his death and resurrection. They are answerable to him for all their actions not to individual persons. Christ the Lord is the one who will judge his servants. Those servants have no need to judge each other.

Some Things that are harmless to some people are sinful to others. Weaker believers may feel that a certain action is wrong, but if they see stronger believers doing it and they follow their example, they sin against their conscience. The liberty of the stronger believers therefore becomes a cause of sin. It leads weaker believers to do what they feel is wrong, and this in turn could bring ruin to their Christian lives. The important things in the Christian life are not food and drink, but the things that bring about peace and upbuilding.

Romans 14:23............
"And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

What is the bottom line here????????

YOU are to believe in what you are doing!!!! If you do not believe in it, then you should not be doing it!

Right here in the Scriptures we have a new definition of sin for the believer:
Any line of conduct or any act which is not the outflow of faith = SIN!

You heard it from me first!!!!!!!!!!

This is the Holy Spirit's answer to questionable activities. As the believer is saved by faith, just so the believer is to walk by faith.

Romans 15:1................
"Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves."
Paul is not finished with his thought. He in chapter 15 writing to the early church about how those he describes as "strong" in their faith ought to treat those who are comparatively "weak" in their faith.

Again, so as to repeat myself........Paul is referring to those issues where the Bible is not explicitly clear, such as eating meat, drinking alcohol, or observing certain holidays.

Those who are legalistic on such matters, Paul has described as "weak in faith," because they do not recognize their freedom in Christ.

The difference between the weak and the strong, as Paul has defined it, is that the strong are fully convinced that in Christ they have been freed from the restrictions of the law, including the dietary restrictions about food and drink. Their strong faith that Christ has fully satisfied all the requirements of the law allows them to feel comfortable with eating or drinking anything.

Those less strong in their faith still feel obligated to the old rules of the law about eating certain meats, for example. Paul taught in the previous chapter that, though their convictions are not based on truth, they must not violate their own consciences. In fact, to do so would be a serious sin.

To those strong in their faith, Paul has written that they must be willing to set aside their freedom in certain situations in order to avoid leading their less strong brothers and sisters into that sin.

Now Paul includes himself when he writes that the strong have an obligation—a duty of love—to bear with the failings of the weak. Yes, he describes their lack of faith about what is permitted as a failing. And, yes, he is still teaching that those of stronger faith must not provoke the weak to violate their convictions.

In short, those strong in the faith must put a low priority on pleasing themselves, placing it below their obligation to serve weaker Christians.

Romans 15:2............
"Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification."
Edification = "Building up"!

All edification that comes from a Christian must be Christ centered and focused!

This is an application of what Jesus called the greatest commandment among human relationships in Matt. 22:35-40 in that Loving our neighbors as we love ourselves means putting their "pleasing," or satisfaction, or good outcome above achieving our own good outcome. It's a lifestyle of sacrificing what I want, to give to others what they want, for their good and growth.

Romans 15:3...........
"For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me."
Put more bluntly, Paul said in the previous verse that they should put pleasing their neighbors above pleasing themselves. After all, Paul now writes, they are following Christ. Christ did not please Himself in this life. He lived a life of self-sacrifice in serving and pleasing others.

Paul quotes from Psalm 69:9, applying it to Jesus. In that context, the reproaches—the mockery and criticism—of those who reproached God the Father fell on Christ. By comparison, Paul seems to be saying, strong-faith Christians should be willing to give up meat, or give up wine, or to skip the Sabbath, or any other matter of their personal freedom, for the sake of building up their weaker siblings in Christ.

Romans 15:4...........
"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope."
In my opinion, the greatest sin in the world and the church in particular is the ignorance of the Word of God! It is appalling to me!

How many times have YOU heard a Church officer say....."I do not know much about the bible, BUT............." and then goes on to give his opinion which more than not actually contradicts the Word of God!

Why doesn't that man know the Bible?
Why does a man get to be a church officer if he does not know the Bible?

The Bible was given to us by God so that we would know what the Bible says and what God thinks!

All through Romans and throughout his other letters—Paul quotes Scripture to support his teaching about Christ. For the modern reader, Paul's references are from what we call the Old Testament.

Now, pay attention............It is absolutely true that Christians have died to the law in Christ and have been released from any obligation to obey the requirements of the law. However that does not mean that the scriptures from the "former days" have stopped being valuable.

Paul insists that those older Scriptures were written to teach modern Christians, not just those who read them in the former times. Those Scriptures are for us, too, to bring encouragement and hope to God's people in every generation. They help us to endure, even in and through suffering.

This verse serves as an answer to modern Christians who ask, why even bother to read the Old Testament? Regardless of age, those writings remain the revelation of the heart of God. The fact that we have been freed in Christ from following the law does not stop those 39 books from being the Word of God, full of truth, wisdom, history, and great encouragement for believers. Paul insists that we place value on those Scriptures and seek out encouragement and hope from them.

Romans 15:5..........
"Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus".

Paul pauses here to pray that the blessings which are channeled only through the Word of God might have their effect on both the Jews and Gentiles withing the body of Christ-the church.

Now not that they should see eye to eye with each other on meats and drink and feast days, but that they might show forth that they are one in love for each other.

Romans 15:6...........
"That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."
It would be a blessing if the whole church would come together in harmony. You know as well as I do that it is not.

In every city in the land there is a Baptist church on one corner, a Methodist on the other, a Presbyterian one, a 7th Day Adventist down the road and a Pentacostal across the street.

WHY????

Because they have not set themselves aside to be able to harmonize and sing with one voice in praise of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Then if we dig deeper than just A cursory look, we see that differences show up in belief, power grabs and corruption and all of that has had a part to play.

Why does a man get to be a church officer if he does not know the Bible?
My wife's grandfather once said "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven, but, look how easy it is for him to get on the board of directors!" It is all too often about their money as to how they got their position.

My wife's grandfather once said "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven, but, look how easy it is for him to get on the board of directors!" It is all too often about their money as to how they got their position.

Yes it is!

Romans 15:7...............
"Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God."

It is a well known fact which I have said many times. I disagree completely with the Pentecostals on speaking in tongues, miracle healings and the Prosperity gospel. However.......I see no reason to break fellowship with them over those non-essential issues. I see no reason not to fellowship with them. I do however pray that they will come across to my point of view on those issues we disagree on.

One of my vest friends over the past 30 years is a Roman Catholic. We have meals together, we walk 2 miles a day together anw text each other daily as well. I do not agree with RCC and my friend knows that. He has expressed his complete faith in the Lord Jesus and I take him at his word.

One day soon we will all be in agreement because we will all be changed and have the mind of Christ!!! Then the petty differences we have now will seem so silly and insignificant.

Romans 15:7...............
"Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God."

Hey Major

This scripture is the reason I decided to carry on with Romans.

It speaks volumes and also I can hear Jesus saying, resist not evil.

They both land well in my ear.
I am going through your thread again and really enjoying your point of view. Especially your commentary as you yourself have grown.

Romans 15:8.................
"Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers".
First, Christ, during His time on earth and continuing even now, became a servant to the circumcised. Israel's identity was closely associated with circumcision. Christ, then, became in His earthly life and ministry a servant to the Jewish people.

Somehow, either through necessity or ignorance, we have forgotten that Jesus came to seek and save the house of Israel, NOT the Gentiles.

Jesus said in Matthew 15:24............
"I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Paul just said the same thing! This idea about Jesus' purpose in Galatians 4:4–5.....
"God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law."
He also said in Matthew 10:6 to His 12 disciples..........
"but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

It's not that Jesus' work on earth did not also benefit non-Jewish people, as the following verse will state clearly. It's that in Jesus, God was keeping all His promises to Abraham and the patriarchs. In sending Jesus as the Messiah, God was proven to be a keeper of His promises to Israel.

It was only after Israel rejected their Messiah and killed Him, that God then turned His grace and salvation to the Gentiles.

Hey Major

This scripture is the reason I decided to carry on with Romans.

It speaks volumes and also I can hear Jesus saying, resist not evil.

They both land well in my ear.
I am going through your thread again and really enjoying your point of view. Especially your commentary as you yourself have grown.

Yes. I am up to about 250 now. I just can not get out and work it off anymore. :giggle::giggle:

Romans 15:9.............
"And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name."
"And = here it is a connective verb which joins this verse to #8. "That the Gentiles might glorify God" verity's the fact that Jesus came to the house of Israel First.

First, He was sent to become a servant to the Jewish people. He was, in fact, the means by which God kept all the promises He had made to Abraham and the patriarchs of Israel.

The Gentiles only claim was upon the mercy of God! NO promises were ever made to any Gentiles "fathers" for them to fall back on.

I know for a fact that the mercy of God is a powerful thing. A hundred years ago, my great grandfather on his death bed, told my great grandmother to stay away from that "Church Bunch". She did! She died with Allhisers lost as a goose in a snow storm. How my grandmother got saved is by the mercy of God. She was never raised in the church and was never in the church. But somewhere she heard and believed and She was a staunch Southern Baptist and raised my mother in the Christian faith.

When the Israelites, for the most part, refused to come to God through faith in Christ, God offered the gift of His grace through faith in Christ to the rest of the world. That's how Jesus' mission to serve the Jews resulted in so many Gentiles giving glory to God for His mercy in forgiving their sins and sharing His glory with them.

Paul offers several quotations from the Old Testament Scriptures to show that this was always God's plan. He begins with the quote in this verse, most likely from Psalm 18:49. It's also possible Paul is citing 2 Samuel 22:50. The picture Paul uses this verse to construct is of David or the Jewish people praising God alongside the Gentiles.

Back