The Book Of ROMANS.....A Systematic Teaching

Romans 12:8..............
"Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness."

"Exhortation" is the Greek word ....Paraklesis literally meaning..."a calling near".

In other words, it means Comfort!

Some people have that as a gift. That is the kind of person you want sitting next to your sick bed. They have the gift of sympathy and comfort.

"He that ruleth with diligence" is that person who has the gift of leadership. There are natural born leaders and the people we look to and ask........."what do we do now"!

We need those kind of men in the church. The business of the church requires a man with the gift of administration.

Romans 12:9.........
"Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good."

How should we respond to God's great mercy toward us? Paul's first response is that we should figure out what spiritual gift or gifts God has given to us, then actually use those gifts to serve other Christians in the church.

We all know that we should love each other, but Paul's instruction is that our love must be genuine or sincere. In other words, Christians are not called to fake an attitude of love for each other, but to find ways to express God's love meaningfully, as an extension of God's love for us and ours for Him.

Next, Paul uses a strong word often translated as "hate" or "abhor." This is the Greek term apostygountes, which implies a dislike or revulsion towards something. Proverbs 6:16–19 describes seven things God hates, using the equivalent Hebrew term. None of these hated things are people; all of them are sin. Christians, too, are called to learn to hate what is evil, meaning sin. This is especially true of sin that brings harm to the innocent. This is one of the ways we need to be transformed to think like God. Hating evil, especially the sins that intrigue us, does not always come naturally.

Finally, Paul commands us to hold fast to, or cling to, what is good. Again, it can sometimes be hard to know what is truly good. We must learn to see the world through God's perspective, to deeply invest our time and energy in securing and keeping what is truly "good."

Romans 12:10.........
"Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;"
We must love each other with a brotherly affection. The Greek word used here inspired the name of a city in the United States: Philadelphia, self-described as the city of brotherly love.

Those in Christ are truly brothers and sisters. God adopts us as His children, welcoming us into His family. That family includes everyone who knows God as Father. Brothers and sisters, of course, don't always get along. In most families, however, they share a loyalty and sense of belonging that surpasses most normal friendships.

Paul's second command in this verse urges us to compete, in a sense. We're told to outdo one another in showing honor to each other. If each of us acted on this, every person in the body of Christ would always feel deeply honored by the others and would never be satisfied that we are honoring one another enough. We would be motivated to continue asking, .........
"How can I show more honor than he showed to me?"

Romans 12:11..............
"Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;"

This has nothing to do with business!

It is about not being "lazy" in what you do!

"fervent in spirit" means that our zeal and enthusiasm should be under control of the Holy Spirit.

"Serving the Lord" points everything in Christian conduct toward this focal point.

Romans 12:12...........
"Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;".

The first command to Christians is to rejoice in hope. Often, we resist instruction about what we should feel: that we should change our attitudes to be joyful. The idea here, though, is more about declaring ourselves as having reason for joy. It's not a command to be happy, but to have the right perspective on our situation. We should agree with God that our hope is worth rejoicing over. What hope? Paul is referring to the hope of the redemption of our bodies and being united with our Father forever once our adoption is complete.

The next command is to be patient in tribulation or affliction. This becomes much easier if we are keeping the other two commands. Those who see their future worth celebrating and who pray to the Father continually will have a much easier time being patient during hardship.

Paul is not downplaying the genuine pain of those experiences. Life can be unpleasant, and not all moments are happy moments. Yet Paul has pointed out that the struggles of life on earth are not worth comparing with the glory to come.

So, we wait with patience. T

The final command of the verse also connects with Paul's thoughts in Romans chapter 8. We're commanded to be constant in prayer, or to keep praying continually. During any time of suffering, while waiting for what we're hoping in, we should pray. Prayer brings a connection with our Father through the Holy Spirit. He hears, understands, and helps in response to even our clumsiest attempts to communicate with Him.

Romans 12:13............
"Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality."

This means sharing the necessities if life with ither believers who are in need.

A great may churches make a big deal of having a fund for the poor. Some call it a "Deacons Fund" and allow those men to distribute the funds as they see fit.

That is a really good plan but I think that it needs to be expanded to church members who are in need.

I realize that some will read that and be alarmed. Notice the literal words of the verse......."To the necessity of saints"!

Over the years, I have seen just about every example that can be thought up to ask the church for money. We as stewards of God's
money, must be responsible for its use.

The church "must" investigate the requests of those asking for money so as to determine if the request is legitimate.

I know some of you will not believe this, but there are some people out there who will actually lie to get money from a church.

The church does not owe the world money just because someone comes to it with a made up story! So, how do we know what is told to us is a lie or a truth???? Investigate....ask questions and expect and answer.

If a man comes to your church and says he is on the way to his mothers funeral and needs gas money, but you notice he is pulling a boat worth $25,000, you might want to ask some questions.

If a man comes to your church and asks for money to buy some food, and you notice that he has a $1000 pone in his pocket and is smoking a cigarette, you might want to ask some questions.

If a man comes to your church and asks for money to fix his car, and you look in the back seat and see 100 empty beer cans, you might want to ask some questions!

Romans 12:14..........
"Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not."

That seems to be a silly command to me. Surely one believer would not persecute another one............or would they??????

It is really hard to bless a man who is kicking you, but that is exactly what Paul said and we are not to curse him.

May I say right here that in 50 years of ministry, this is probably the one area I have had the most trouble with, with church members.

I can not even begin to count how many times I have had to correct or have my deacons go to an individual and rebuke them for their language in the church. And almost all of those confrontations were with "elderly" members. May I say to you that cursing is a really terrible habit and it is totally unaccusable for a church member and a Christian to do.

It ruins your testimony for Christ and makes you totally at Satan's use.

Romans 12:15...........
"Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep."

The motto of the world is......."Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep and you weep alone".

That is however NOT true of the believer. We are to enter into the joys of life along with the sorrows of life.

One of the great things that happens as a pastor is that you get called to attend weddings, and graduations and births. We also get called to hospital rooms at 2 AM to cry with a beloved church member who needs a shoulder to cry on.

Romans 12:16..........
"Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits."
"Be of the same mind one toward another" does not mean uniformity of thought but that we are to have the mind of Christ.

I have always taught that believers ought to enter emotionally into the lives of other believers. I think that it is a real blessing when we know what our Christian friends are doing.

We all have differing opinions on differing things in life, but we should be able to adjust to each other in a way that produces pleasantness and order. This requires a level of mutual submission: a willingness to make different choices that will allow us all to get along together.

To live in harmony requires humility and real work from everyone involved. It's not surprising, then, that Paul's next instruction is that we not be haughty or arrogant and stuck up. He makes clear what he means with a follow-up command: associate with the lowly. In other words, don't think of yourselves as being too good to hang out socially with anyone else at all.

So then.....when a visitor comes into your church on Sunday, DON'T TURN AND STARE, GET UP AND GO AND SIT WITH THEM!!!!!!

One of the reasons Christianity attracted so many followers in its early days was that women and slaves and people of low social standing were all welcome to come to faith in Christ. The result was that people who would never associate anywhere else in Roman culture found themselves in relationship with each other in the church. Paul commands those on the upper levels of society to leave any class rivalry out of the church.

His final command in this verse is that Christians must never be wise in our own sight. This is not the same as saying that we are never wise. The idea is that we should not accept our own opinion as the final word. We submit to the word of God, as well as to the input and ideas of others.

**********************************RELATIONSHIP TO UNBELIEVERS************************************************
Romans 12:17............
"Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men."
WE as believers may expect evil from the world, however we are not to strike back!

Easy said but hard to do! Do you do that in your life?????

As I write this today, it is FOUR days since the Hamas attack on Israel on Saturday 7th 2023. I see and read of women raped, killed and taken hostage and babies be-headed and my first thought is..........Israel, turn the dogs of war lose and get your revenge.

The public desire for revenge is both understandable and terrifying, but the erasure of any moral red line is always a frightening thing.

I keep reminding myself that ignoring this context is giving up a piece of my own humanity. Because violence devoid of any context leads to only one possible response: revenge. And I don’t want revenge from anyone. Because revenge is the opposite of security, it is the opposite of peace, it is also the opposite of justice. It is nothing but more violence.

Then, I think......what if one of those dead was my wife and there lays next to her my great grandbaby of one year old be-headed??????

I just do not know if I am a good enough Christian to bless the man who did that. I am being honest here and I hope you will be as well.

Romans 12:18............
"If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men."

And here is the answer to verse #17.

"If possible" and "so far as it depends on you." This command recognizes that conflict is sometimes unavoidable.

Some people are just not interested in making peace with us. There is such a thing as an appropriate time and place to disagree, to dispute, or even to fight. Not every action that makes others happy is something good, or something God would want us to do.

What does it require to live this way?

For one, of course, we must be willing to admit our wrongs, to apologize, to make things right, and to forgive. This is where the idea of "so far as it depends on you" comes into play. Our own ego, pride, desires, and prejudices should never get in the way of living peaceably with others. First and foremost, that means we ought not do "wrong" things to or towards other people.

Not all conflict is related to wrongdoing, however. Sometimes, it's simply a question of two sides who disagree about an issue with no absolute answer. In those cases, maintaining the peace may require us to be willing to yield, to be moved, on an issue we care about.

Romans 12:19.........
"Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
This is one of the greatest principles in the Word of God. However........it is also one of the most difficult to follow!!!

Matthew 5:39: .........
“But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.”

Do YOU do that ? Every time?????? All the time??????

I am very much like the old Irish Christian man. One day a may came up and hit him. He got up and turned his head and the man hit him again. He got up and beat the stuffin out of the man. Of course, someone said to him.....brother, what happened to turning the other cheeck?

He said I did. But I only got two and after that the Lord didn't tell me what to do so I did what I thought I ought to do! Isn't that what most of us do.!!!! We all find it hard to not strike back.

Why is that do you think?

Because we are used to and expect INSTANT gratification and God does not work that way. When someone hits us we expect God to hit him with a bolt of lightning and BBQ him. However, God does things in His timing.

Judgment may be slow in some cases....but it is sure and depentable.

Romans 12:20.......
"To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.”

Paul now adds to the difficulty of the previous verse.

One reasonable way to interpret Paul's command would be as an instruction to avoid and ignore those who harm us. If we can't get even, at least we can stay away from them. However, Paul now reveals that this is not the path of those who follow Christ. Instead, we are called to active, positive, and generous engagement with those who harm us. Rather than simply ignoring our enemies, we ought to seek to do good for them and to them.

Is that hard to do ?

Now, do not take that to a pacifist extreme. This is not meant to be taken as a command to stay in a situation in which someone is actively physically harming us. Retreating from violence or avoiding a physical abuser is not being discouraged here, at all. If we can take steps to avoid future injury, that is the right and wise thing to do. God is not commanding us to welcome any kind of abuse.

Even though we're not being commanded to "embrace" abuse, this is still a hard teaching. In quoting Solomon's words from Proverbs 25:21–22, Paul's description of how to respond to evildoers is galling, even infuriating, at first. At the same time, there is a certain ruthlessness about it, spiritually speaking. We are called to bring down fiery conviction on our enemies by being relentlessly kind in seeing and meeting their basic needs. As we do, two things happen.
1. We reflect God's own mercy to us who were once His enemies.
2. We show both that we do not deserve to be treated poorly and that we are stronger than those who harm us.

The description of "heaping burning coals" is a reference to Proverbs 25:21–22. In Egypt, there had been a custom to carry a pan of burning coals on one's head as a sign of repentance. Kindness and forgiveness to those who abuse us, ideally, will make them ashamed of themselves, and hopefully bring them to repent. The strongest, most powerful response to persecution and hatred is to love your enemies.

Those who choose to do good to their enemies create the opportunity Paul describes in the following verse.

Romans 12:21.......
"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."
Have you ever heard it said.............."Kill them with kindness"?

If we're honest with ourselves, it sounds very difficult. Most of Paul's bullet-point commands in the previous verses have to do with setting ourselves aside. It's tough for us to do this for the good of our fellow Christians, let alone for our enemies. Difficult or not, Paul is calling us to live as Jesus did.

Now Paul comes to the final command of the chapter. In essence, he commands us to be strong in our conviction to live in this way. We are not to be overcome by evil, but to overcome evil with good. Paul seems to have in mind the idea that we are overcome by evil when we join in and give it back, when we sink to evil's level. That just results in more sin, more pain, and an endless cycle of revenge and hatred.

In other words, evil wins when we live first for ourselves, our rights, and our own good, instead of the good of others.

If we are strong in Christ, however, we have a great opportunity to overcome evil by continuing to do Christlike good. Evil won't be annihilated from the world on this side of eternity. That ultimate victory over evil is scheduled for some day in the future, at the hands of God. All the same, evil can be defeated any time Christians stand up and give back good to those who do wrong to them. Evil struggles to stand against courageous and sacrificial love.

Paul will continue this thought in the next verses as he transitions to the relationship between Christians and earthly government.

Romans 13:1........
"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God."
How should Christians interact within the parameters of the government that they live in???? Peter also teaches the same thing in 1 Peter 2:13–17.
The bottom line is that those in Christ are called to set themselves aside and to trust God to provide what is needed through those in authority, whether good or evil.
WHY????...........Because it is God who ordained and placed that government in control!!!!
Yes.....I am aware that the kingdoms of this world belong to Satan and that there is injustice and corruption everywhere now and always has been...yet God is still in control. A government in history flourished in pomp and pride and then is disappeared. WHY?????

God rules and He brought it down. Those historical governments disappeared because of their corruption and lawlessness which turned into pride.

Paul is clear that this applies to every person. He calls for us to be in submission to government authorities, though he does not say that we must obey them in all cases. Paul and the other apostles refused to obey commands from people in authority to stop preaching the gospel, for instance in Acts 5:27–29.

They did, however, submit to those in authority in all matters that were not in contradiction to the will of God.

Why should we submit?

Paul is clear: Every authority in the world was established by God. This would include, of course, good leaders, evil leaders, and everyone in-between. Paul's instruction here, then, is not about blind nationalism or absolute obedience to men. Rather, it is a recognition that human government—in general—is a legitimate authority, and that Christians cannot use their faith as an excuse for civil lawlessness. God puts all leaders in place for the specific reasons Paul will describe in the following verses.

We should remember that Paul is writing this letter to Christians in Rome. The government of Rome ruled much of the known world at the time. It was led by the Emperor Nero from AD 54–68. Nero is famous for his cruel and unfair treatment of Christians, among other groups. We must not assume that Paul is writing these words lightly. He was aware of the implications of his teaching which included his death.

Romans 13:2............
"Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment."

In plain country boy English........anyone resisting the authority is resisting the ordinance of God and those doing so will be judged by God.

This principle seems to raise several ethical questions which the following verses will explain.

Question: Does this Scripture preclude the possibility of a believer having any part of rebellion?????

What about George Washington and Rober Cromwell and all the men involved in the Revolutionary war?
All of those men led a rebellion!

May I say that I do not have an answer! I do however suggest that those men believed that opposition to a BAD government and wanted a GOOD one which they believed was ordained by God. The believer is for Law and Order, honesty and justice with all things be equal to all people.

It's not clear if Paul has in mind judgment from the government or judgment from God. Both are possible.

In great moments of crisis in history, and that is where we are today, the believer has to make difficult decisions.

Those loyal to Christ are specifically instructed to be submissive to human government. Generally, then, civil disobedience is only allowed when a Christian is being asked to sin, disobey God, or act in some ungodly way.

Now hold on to your seat! I am going to make some very "hard" words here, and they are my personal words. You do not have to agree and they are NOT open for argument.

#1. We are no longer a Christian nation that fears God.

#2. I say that because as a nation we practiced the killing of unborn babies since 1973. I am aware the Supreme Court has changed that law, however, a Pew survey done this year says that 60 % of Americans — think abortion should be legal in all or most cases.

The Bible clearly says that MURDER is stickily forbidden but we say......."I do not care! "

#3. As a nation we have allowed homosexual marriages.

Again, the Bible clearly says that homosexual behavior is forbidden.

Now WHY would God declare both of those as SINS punishable by death?????

Because both destroy the FAMILY UNIT. God married Adam and Eve and told them to procreate a FAMILY. The family is God's plan for all of humanity. When we practice killing of babies, and homosexual activity we destroy the plan of God.

Now I would like to give you my view point. During these last days, which I believe we are living in, lawlessness abounds.
Sin is acceptable as a "personal life style" choice...........However, the believer must oppose it and not be a part of it!

We NUST as believers be aware of those who we vote for who would change and ignore the Commandments of God.
When we vote for a person who advocated ABORTION or HOMOSEXUALITY or any open sin that God condemns, we are as guilty as the man who does the operation!

Again hold on to your butt!

Christianity never became a movement to change government. It was not started to be a social experiment or to clean up a town!!! The gospel is the power of God unto salvation so that men could have a way to approach God and go to heaven!!!!!

I am not impressed by those, preachers or politicians who run the American flag up, singing the national anthem as a promotion and then live behind corruption and lies.

To be brutally honest, I resent those government people who are wealthy, in positions of power and pay NO taxes at all when I have to pay a healthy share.

You see, the real facts are that those men who framed our laws and Constitution has a Bible back ground and understanding. YES.....I do know that Thomas Jefferson was a diest, but he has high respect for the Word of God.
Those men like John Hancock, the 1st to sign the Declaration of Independance were outstanding Christians.

Now please understand me. There is nothing wrong with our form of government or the USA.

There is however a lot wrong in the hearts of those who are in power. WE, you and me have voted and placed into positions of power those people who are corrupt and are lost and exist only to put another dollar into their pocket!

IF we could somehow, get the preachers of the nation to preach the gospel of the Lord Jesus as the power of God unto salvation, then we could bring into existence individuals like those who signed the Declaration of Independance and turn our nation once again into a Christian nation.

Question: Does this Scripture preclude the possibility of a believer having any part of rebellion?????

What about George Washington and Rober Cromwell and all the men involved in the Revolutionary war?
All of those men led a rebellion!
...and Martin Luther. I remember during Covid John MacArthur used verse 3 as justification for resistance to California's Draconian rulings against Churches.

Romans 13:3 NKJV
For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same.

He'd argue something along the lines of, "Since when is meeting in a Church an 'evil work'? While the organized smashing of windows, looting, and vandalism (going on at the time) was left unchecked"

Sounded like if the governing bodies was considering that which was good, evil and treating evil as good, it was time for good people to act.

But as you said above, "the believer has to make difficult decisions."

...and Martin Luther. I remember during Covid John MacArthur used verse 3 as justification for resistance to California's Draconian rulings against Churches.

Romans 13:3 NKJV
For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same.

He'd argue something along the lines of, "Since when is meeting in a Church an 'evil work'? While the organized smashing of windows, looting, and vandalism (going on at the time) was left unchecked"

Sounded like if the governing bodies was considering that which was good, evil and treating evil as good, it was time for good people to act.

But as you said above, "the believer has to make difficult decisions."
I agree with you completely. It was very obvious that he had a sinister agenda as did many others.

Back