the american dream

China is another place I've always wanted to visit. If you go plz take a camera and post OK? Also you might want to visit with any christians there...I hear there are great stories of faith from there.

How are the views over there of possible war with China? Australia built the largest ship they ever have...Canberra as have New Zealand with Canterbury....both ships have amphibious capability. Indonesia, Singapore, South Korea, Japan have all made very recent and large investments in amphibious warfare ships. Do the people realize all the island nations are gearing up? Is it hush hush?

I have no idea.
Our PM is very cozy with China now.
But I dont think our country spends that much on defence. Since ppl in China are now so wealthy, they can easily buy land here and then take over. And we let them, cos apparently NZ needs the money.
It used to be the Japanese we thought would be our countries saviour as they were wealthy and spending it all on our golf courses and tourism. before that it was the British. We a peaceful nation, not really into wars. heaps died in Gallipoli fighting for nothing, so we kind of remember that.

Its the centenary of ANZAC day coming up. Its just terrible all those enlisted to fight, really young, and they all died. And nothing was really won either, the brits convinced us to fight for them. I dont understand wars.

Thankfully, conscription isnt compulsory here as it is for other countries. And those that do go into the army, navy etc are into rescue and peacekeeping missions, not fighting.

Siloam, I think we are looking at two different american dreams.

I agree, the idea of America was to be able to work through the difficulties, for the common man to overcome challenges and help his community.

But the America I predominantly see is one of lust, greed and a blissful ignorance. One where a person overcomes difficulties, challenges, and may help, but only for his own name.

I'm not saying if you are saved, and you overcome difficulties and give it the "good old American shot" you aren't on fire for the Lord, quite the opposite. I failed to communicate that prior.

I remember from a lot of older movies, you always had the poor people end up in America somewhere, stating they come for the American dream. That is sort of what stuck, hoping to have something better than they had where they were from.
Is this wrong?
For clarification - I do not live in America.

Its the centenary of ANZAC day coming up. Its just terrible all those enlisted to fight, really young, and they all died. And nothing was really won either, the brits convinced us to fight for them. I dont understand wars.
I'm not sure you can say "nothing was really won".
Fighting to stop the machine that fuelled the first and second world wars is quite noble indeed. Nazi ideal was to take over the world as a whole, and everyone outside that ideal would have suffered. Sadly, many lives were lost, but I like to think all of them are being remembered.

It was needless.
Those men died in their prime and their mothers cried. They were sacrificed. God could stop that beast with 10,000 angels, he does not require men to die at the hands of evil in war. But no. Men think they had to fight.

We remember them, cos gallipoli was so devastating.

Most didnt even want to fight. It was the first world war...it was not the nazis come to power yet. Conscription was compulsory. If you didnt, you were labelled a coward. Those young men were seen as brave, but the truth is they died like flies. Massacred.

I dont think its wrong to expect a better life.
Though sometimes the dream is far from reality. It didnt really happen for the slaves, though the dream is still there.

Many negros moved up to canada to find their freedom. Or at least the north. Although, heard detroit is now in ruins and never fully recovered.

I noticed a number of references to Life, Liberty and Happiness. I hope it is not lost on any of us that the idea that we are so endowed by our Creator with these rights is a Judeo/Christian concept which has never been recognized so fully as it has been in this nation with the possible exception of Israel.

I dont think its wrong to expect a better life.
Though sometimes the dream is far from reality. It didnt really happen for the slaves, though the dream is still there.

Many negros moved up to canada to find their freedom. Or at least the north. Although, heard detroit is now in ruins and never fully recovered.

Detroit is changing sand slowly being rebuilt. Lots of good stuff going on as well as a lot of old demolished things being removed

Well that's good to know.
I don't know all the history but seen pictures.
Something to do with collapse of the car industry..the Japanese were making better fuel efficient cars..or something. Although, americans do drive on the other side of the road, so they couldn't export their cars to countries that drive on the left.
America is a nation of cars it seems.

Well that's good to know.
I don't know all the history but seen pictures.
Something to do with collapse of the car industry..the Japanese were making better fuel efficient cars..or something. Although, americans do drive on the other side of the road, so they couldn't export their cars to countries that drive on the left.
America is a nation of cars it seems.

Parts of Detroit look like a war zone and some looked relly nice, especiaslly the suburbs.
Never been there but it is just a couple of hours east of me. I watched some specials on tv about the things going on and some businesses are doing really good these days.

Akron Ohio used to be known as rubber city for they were like the tire capital of the usa. OMG I remember when I was a kid and my day would drive through there you could smell the hot rubber miles before you got to the city. I called it stinky city. lol

Lots of car manufacutures around Ohio and Michigan have long been gone and same with many of the tire manufactures. Firestone and Good year and BF Good rich are still around but not in the capacity they once were.
Thanks for the walk down memory lane. lol
Blessings
Jim

I noticed a number of references to Life, Liberty and Happiness. I hope it is not lost on any of us that the idea that we are so endowed by our Creator with these rights is a Judeo/Christian concept which has never been recognized so fully as it has been in this nation with the possible exception of Israel.

Nope, I don't that was lost at all. Although the question was also what the American dream is, not what is the dream to be holy. Not all Americans will even begin to consider holiness.

To understand the American Dream, you must understand US history. The vast majority of settlers who founded colonies in America were fleeing oppression in their home countries. Yes, there were those looking to make money, but they were the sponsors, those who paid for the ships and supplies. They all wanted a better life which entails freedom; to worship God in the way they were instructed by the Bible, start a new life without the edicts of a king and his governmental entities.
Freedom, born of Christian ideology, became the overriding theme or ideal, or dream, of the 13 colonies, which also brought about the American Revolution. People became willing to fight for freedom. Understandably, this freedom became a bright shining light to the rest of the world.

Peoples of the world were drawn to this freedom, the ability to make a better way of life. Word spread like wildfire that you were guaranteed a better life in America.

Only now, in the past 50 years, has liberalism or progressivism or whatever label you want to give it, (the desire that you can do whatever you want, no responsibility, consumerism, anything goes, it's what I want not what God wants mentality), has started to destroy the meaning of the American Dream and it is commonly believed that the American Dream is not possible anymore, or at least is becoming more and more impossible.

The American Dream was the ability to make your and your family's life what you wanted it to be by working for it. Too many are attacking it and destroying it.

The funny thing is, if another country wanted to, they could implement such a system and, with God's blessing, create their own "_______ Dream".

To understand the American Dream, you must understand US history. The vast majority of settlers who founded colonies in America were fleeing oppression in their home countries. Yes, there were those looking to make money, but they were the sponsors, those who paid for the ships and supplies. They all wanted a better life which entails freedom; to worship God in the way they were instructed by the Bible, start a new life without the edicts of a king and his governmental entities.
Freedom, born of Christian ideology, became the overriding theme or ideal, or dream, of the 13 colonies, which also brought about the American Revolution. People became willing to fight for freedom. Understandably, this freedom became a bright shining light to the rest of the world.

Peoples of the world were drawn to this freedom, the ability to make a better way of life. Word spread like wildfire that you were guaranteed a better life in America.

Only now, in the past 50 years, has liberalism or progressivism or whatever label you want to give it, (the desire that you can do whatever you want, no responsibility, consumerism, anything goes, it's what I want not what God wants mentality), has started to destroy the meaning of the American Dream and it is commonly believed that the American Dream is not possible anymore, or at least is becoming more and more impossible.

The American Dream was the ability to make your and your family's life what you wanted it to be by working for it. Too many are attacking it and destroying it.

The funny thing is, if another country wanted to, they could implement such a system and, with God's blessing, create their own "_______ Dream".

Agreed! It was also an opportunity to actually OWN their land!

Back