RIP: Church Music

I agree! Syncopated rhythms self consciously focus on the drum beat rhythm, causing the crowd to also focus on the rhythm and enter into self-generated false emotional states. They don't focus on worshiping and respecting God.
Thank you brother! That is exactly what I have been saying.

I am remined of the late Dr. Jack Hyles who once said, ......
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will tend to become the wrong kind of person; but, conversely, if he listens to the right kind of music, he will tend to become the right kind of person.”

I think you will agree that the rhythm must be under strict control in music. In essence, this is a picture of the Christian with his body and its desires under strict control.

Romans 8:13 explains,.........
“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.”

let me ask a question off subject please be honest... of the two non christian music which is the worse country music or rock n roll ?
If the places where the world congregates to feed their flesh use a certain style of music it would make sense that it is probably worldly music.

Now allow me to ask you a question........If those places started playing hymns such as “The Old Rugged Cross” or “Amazing Grace” the musicians would probably be booed, and many customers would leave. Why? Because the music does not match the setting!

Then why do so many pastors and Christians think their music belongs in the church? God’s music is meant to bring praise to God, not to entertain man.

If the places where the world congregates to feed their flesh use a certain style of music it would make sense that it is probably worldly music.

Now allow me to ask you a question........If those places started playing hymns such as “The Old Rugged Cross” or “Amazing Grace” the musicians would probably be booed, and many customers would leave. Why? Because the music does not match the setting!

Then why do so many pastors and Christians think their music belongs in the church? God’s music is meant to bring praise to God, not to entertain man.
lol that is not what i asked my question is off the subject here it is again . of the two non Christian music which is the worse country music or rock n roll ? this is has nothing to do with church music. but i will bring in my point later

That's what I meant by 'this would be my speed' as far as acceptable contemporary music goes.
and everyone has different taste in music and it should be respected me personally i dont mind a couple Contempary songs implemented into the song service.. provided the message of the song is Bible BASED. there are groups with songs very dedicated to the word of God. i have certain select songs i like. i doubt if i know 10 groups . i like to use choruses just before preaching. my group is still a w.i.p as all of us are

I am remined of the late Dr. Jack Hyles who once said, ......
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will tend to become the wrong kind of person; but, conversely, if he listens to the right kind of music, he will tend to become the right kind of person.”
I have been following this thread... curious as to where it would go.

Contemporary Worship music is getting a really bad rap. HA.
I am a contemporary worship GAL... I listen to Christian radio for much of the day and this is the music that generally plays. On Saturdays... the Gaithers come on and I also enjoy them.

Is this issue not one of PREFERENCE?? I would dare to state that there are some in the church ( where they play the OLDIES but GOODIES ) that have very hard hearts. There seems to be a mindset that those who attend churches with the old hymns... are BETTER Christians... or at least more bible based Christians.

I believe the issue here is WHAT is being TAUGHT as TRUTH in CHURCH. These MEGA churches ( the ones with the LIGHTS... SMOKE and LOUD music sung by PERFORMERS... these are all Hollywood type WoF organizations. I don't even count the churches you can see on television as true congregations.

When I worship.... I enter the Throne Room. It is ALL about the HOLINESS and MAJESTY of GOD ALMIGHTY. When I enter into WORSHIP... I enjoy ( and I am not ashamed by this ) being WOOED into a place where the entire room disappears. Corporate worship is something that is very precious to me. Call it an EXPERIENCE if you will... ( and that seems to be an issue for some ).... but my HEART and my MIND is completely in a position of PRAISE to my KING.

I do not understand the WAR of the WORSHIP room... You either enter in or you do NOT.

Singing hymns is wonderful... I believe WORSHIP is a totally different issue.

Please don't throw eggs at me... HAHA..... I have to respectfully disagree with much of what is being said here.

Love, Your little sister...( and... you gotta love me. ):D ( I have mentioned this before... this little smiley guy needs medical attention... I am very sad that my favorite smiley is listerine green).

Personally, I like folk and blues, so naturally, I'll side with country over rock-'n'-roll with rap at the bottom dregs.
i can deal with that most people feel rock music is of the devil while country music is ok. i still like some of my older rock songs see since you used the 50,s music thats a generation gap with us. plus its hints your age group. not much of the 50,s music i care for.. i am a 61 model i dont even know all the bands that played at wood stock.

I am a contemporary worship GAL... I listen to Christian radio for much of the day and this is the music that generally plays. On Saturdays... the Gaithers come on and I also enjoy them.
it goes with preference i will say this once again to say Contempary music is wrong and has no place in the Church period is wrong.. I love the gaithers series its is so refreshing ..i loved to watch jessie Dickson sing and he even danced in the spirit on stage .. to a good Baptist that's a sin lol .. i do reject Christian rock n roll and Rap .. being honest i see opinions of preference coming out .we use go see the mckameys peg get fired up wave her white hanky start shouting . the shoes would fly across the stage we had Church . she brought her bible out waved it also

unorthdoxed almost Pentecostal lol

Last edited:
i can deal with that most people feel rock music is of the devil while country music is ok
There are some wonderful songs in each genre. I believe rock music got such a bad rap because it caused a revolution ( for lack of a better word)... it also was the beginning of a rebellion in the youth.... NO dancing was a rule in a lot of strict Christian homes. The Beatles... Elvis... and what followed seemed to make the young people CRAZY... HAHA. Then you had the Heavy Metal come along and that well was just all satanic as far as I'm concerned. Screaming in a microphone does NOT constitute music in my opinion.

Country music doesn't get a pass either... HA.... It's all about the words... There are terrible country songs which simply romanticize sinful behaviour. I have stated the obvious I'm sure. HA.

Country music doesn't get a pass either... HA.... It's all about the words... There are terrible country songs which simply romanticize sinful behavior. I have stated the obvious I'm sure. HA.
your correct i know old timers that scream rock music is of the devil and country music is ok. me personally i dont care much for country music espec the new artist . how ever growing up i did like johnny cash still do but not his life style . we seen hank jr in 1989 not impressed . yes once in a while i have few select rock singers like . its all good

let me ask a question off subject please be honest... of the two non christian music which is the worse country music or rock n roll ?
Ouch!

I absolutely love 70's guitar rock. Fantastic music, IMO. I listened to country in the 90's while in service but never really got it. The old country music from the 40's and 50's though... That's really nice. I think it's the Blues influence.

I have been following this thread... curious as to where it would go.

Is this issue not one of PREFERENCE?? I would dare to state that there are some in the church ( where they play the OLDIES but GOODIES ) that have very hard hearts. There seems to be a mindset that those who attend churches with the old hymns... are BETTER Christians... or at least more bible based Christians.

I believe the issue here is WHAT is being TAUGHT as TRUTH in CHURCH. These MEGA churches ( the ones with the LIGHTS... SMOKE and LOUD music sung by PERFORMERS... these are all Hollywood type WoF organizations. I don't even count the churches you can see on television as true congregations.

When I worship.... I enter the Throne Room. It is ALL about the HOLINESS and MAJESTY of GOD ALMIGHTY. When I enter into WORSHIP... I enjoy ( and I am not ashamed by this ) being WOOED into a place where the entire room disappears. Corporate worship is something that is very precious to me. Call it an EXPERIENCE if you will... ( and that seems to be an issue for some ).... but my HEART and my MIND is completely in a position of PRAISE to my KING.

I do not understand the WAR of the WORSHIP room... You either enter in or you do NOT.

Singing hymns is wonderful... I believe WORSHIP is a totally different issue.

Please don't throw eggs at me... HAHA..... I have to respectfully disagree with much of what is being said here.

Love, Your little sister...( and... you gotta love me. ):D ( I have mentioned this before... this little smiley guy needs medical attention... I am very sad that my favorite smiley is listerine green).
Nothing wrong in disagreeing! I respect all opinions.

lol that is not what i asked my question is off the subject here it is again . of the two non Christian music which is the worse country music or rock n roll ? this is has nothing to do with church music. but i will bring in my point later
Contemporary country music isn't like the classics of the past. Modern country music uses rhythms and lyrics that are just as filthy as rock and rap music. I do like Bluegrass hymns and Southern Gospel, though.

Last edited:
Music sets the tone - in all situations. Next time you watch a television program, concentrate on the music score. Listen to the overall tone when it's a sincere, tender moment. Then, listen when there's a confrontation. I could go on and on. (Sometimes I think I hear circus music when I'm watching a show about politicians)

My nephew is a very accomplished musician. When he was still in his twenties, he listened to a music that had Christian lyrics, but the tone of the music was incredibly hard core. The kind of hard core music I'm talking about almost always has satanic lyrics when it is utilized in the secular world. I remember thinking how the two just didn't fit together. It would be like a loving husband growling through clenched teeth, "I love you, honey" to his wife. I asked myself, doesn't tone matter, too?

As I mentioned above, my father was a pastor, and my mother was in charge of the music program. Occasionally, my father would have an alter call at the end of some services. On those occasions, my mother would play the piano and she'd play a song that fit the scene. She'd play songs that concerned surrender and repentance. She'd play softly while the pastor urged the congregants to repent , come to the altar, and surrender their will to Jesus. I believe that the music had an impact in those moments.

Back