Pursue Excellence

These are practical lessons for all of us to live by

Ah, but Proverbs is more than that :) It contains breathtaking wisdom, it even has knowledge even before Genesis:

The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.

I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.

When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.

Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:

While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.

When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:

When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:

When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:

Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him

Prov 8

Dusty said:
Vs 13-14…. Eat honey, my son, for it is good;
honey from the comb is sweet to your taste.
14 Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul;
if you find it, there is a future hope for you,
and your hope will not be cut off.

Psalm 19:8The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

The word of the bring joy and revelation

9The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. 10More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

The ways of the Lord and His Word are more valuable and precious than gold. His Word if sweet to our spirit and our lives. Taste and see the the Lord is good.

11Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

His words warns us of danger and we are greatly blessed if we keep them

Ah, but Proverbs is more than that :) It contains breathtaking wisdom, it even has knowledge even before Genesis:

Amen John Thanks , that's why I like to call them " Pearls of Wisdom . " It is definately a book to live by .

The ways of the Lord and His Word are more valuable and precious than gold. His Word if sweet to our spirit and our lives. Taste and see the the Lord is good.

Amen GodSpeaks . And yes, the Lord is good . There is so much to gleen just from Proverbs.

His words warns us of danger and we are greatly blessed if we keep them

His words are yay and amen .

Psalm 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

Chapter 26

This chapter seems to be re – iterating what the other chapters have been talking about by making comparisons . for example in the first verse …. Like snow in summer and rain in harvest a fool cannot have honour . We all know that we do not have snow in summer so it seems almost like an oxymoron .

Mainly it seems every thing us being compared to the fool .

I like this one … vs 20 Without wood a fire goes out – without gossip quarrel dies down ….. In other words gossip always builds and builds as each one passes it on but if it is not passed on then it dies.

Vs 23 …Like a coating of glaze over earthenware are fervent lips with an evil heart.

Smooth talk or sugar coated talk always covers up evil thoughts and plans --- Beware.

Vs 28…. A lying tongue hates those it hurts, and a flattering mouth works ruin.

Again proverbs is warning us about our tongue and the damage it can give . The tongue can be hurtful and well as unflattering .

20 Without wood a fire goes out – without gossip quarrel dies down ….. In other words gossip always builds and builds as each one passes it on but if it is not passed on then it dies.

James 3:5

Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! 6And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

It's like a tiny fire that soon gets out of control because it can't be contained once it gets started. It continues on and on; and the damage is already done.

Proverbs 27

Verse 1 … Do not boast about tomorrow,
for you do not know what a day may bring forth.

Why do you think we should not boast about tomorrow ? Do you think it is because God holds tomorrow and only God knows our tomorrows? And by boasting we are filling ourselves with pride instead of being humble ?

19: ….. As water reflects a face,
so a man's heart reflects the man.

Again the heart of a man is more important because if our heart is not right with the Lord then it will reflect onto our countenance.

20 …… Death and Destruction are never satisfied,
and neither are the eyes of man.

How would you understand this verse ?
I would have to say in the world we live in now – man is never satisfied with what he has and always wants more which in turn will end in death and destruction of the body and soul

Proverbs 28

28:5……. Evil men do not understand justice
but those who seek the Lord understand it fully .

Justice being described as fairness in the law of Moses . But justice also means living in relationships of love and caring and if people do not have the Lord in their lives they will not be able to understand the meaning of justice .

Jesus is our example when He saysLove the Lord with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength . The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12 : 30-31

Vs. 13…… He who conceals his sins does not prosper,
but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.

This is a warning to those who think they ca get away with sin and try to cover it up . Because if they do they will loose whatever he has but on the other hand if he asks for forgiveness , he will be given mercy .

Vs 19 : …… He who works his land will have abundant food,
but the one who chases fantasies will have his fill of poverty

Again he is talking about laziness - if we do not work how do we think we will survive? And a lazy person will end up poor.

Vs 20 …… A faithful man will be richly blessed,
but one eager to get rich will not go unpunished.

Faithfulness to the Lord will always receive blessings but I am thinking of people who gambles thinking he will get rich fast and looses all his money following a fantasy world : he will eventually receive his punishment .
So the idea behind foolishness by trying to get rich fast is that God will punish the foolish .

Vs 22….. A stingy man is eager to get rich
and is unaware that poverty awaits him.

Beware of the stingy man and a man who hoards and does not share …. Trying to get rich will ultimately come to poverty .

Vs 25….. A greedy man stirs up dissension,
but he who trusts in the LORD will prosper.

Hmmmm I wonder which is worse a stingy man or a greedy man . But they are not in God’s plan for us - so ultimately if we trust in God – He will supply all our need .

Vs 26….. He who trusts in himself is a fool,
but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe.

Ultimately if we are self – centered and want to do things our way it will never work and ends in distruction. But if we do it God’s way , He will bless us and the rewards will be unforeseen .

Vs 27….. He who gives to the poor will lack nothing,
but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses

Giving to the poor will always bring blessing to us and God again will supply all our need and he will call us wise.

It is more blessed to give than to receive .

What most called saved is justification by faith, not full salvation. Salvation as you most call it is more like justification of your faith a good example would be the thief on the cross.

Heb 9:28
So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many;
and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation. (KJV)

Amplified Bible says full salvation

Amplified Bible (AMP)

Heb. 9: 28
Even so it is that Christ, having been offered to take upon Himself and bear as a burden the sins of many once and once for all, will appear a second time, not to carry any burden of sin nor to deal with sin, but to bring to full salvation those who are [eagerly, constantly, and patiently] waiting for and expecting Him.

Philippians 3:13-15 (King James Version)

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Fire is not a negative thing in the hands of a loving God. We are unclean; without the blood of Jesus which covers our sins our righteousness is as filthy rags.

Jesus got a dove when He was baptized in the river Jordon; Christian’s got cloven tongues of fire. I am not perfect and have not arrived and understand my God is a consuming fire and that is a good thing. Those who love the Lord and long to see His purpose fulfilled in their lives, are willing to accept Him as a refiner’s fire, as a thresher of wheat, as a presser of olives, as a crusher of grapes, and as a scourging Father!

We accepted Him as Saviour, Baptizer, Healer, and Blesser; now we are accepting Him as the Lord of the fires! Our Heavenly Father has made us willing to embrace the means He uses to perfect us. He perfects us in the crucible of adversities. The tribulations He sends us are not punishments for past failures, but divine tools to conform us to His image. Paul’s thorn in the flesh, Job’s loss of all his possessions, family, and health, Joseph’s betrayal by his brethren, his being sold as a slave, and later his being falsely accused and thrown into prison, were all for a divine purpose.

Philippians 3:13-15 (King James Version)

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Thank you for that verse as we all strive for excellence . I like that you underlined " I press towards the mark for the high calling of God in Christ Jesus . We as believers should be striving every day for excellence and perfection in Jesus as He is our example of perfection and a sinless man . Even though we will never be perfect because Jesus is the only one who is perfect , who walked on this earth , we still need to obey his commands and listen to the Holy Spirit who teaches us right and wrong . The closer we get to Him the more we will be like Him

Romans 5:15
But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God's grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many!

We accepted Him as Saviour, Baptizer, Healer, and Blesser; now we are accepting Him as the Lord of the fires! Our Heavenly Father has made us willing to embrace the means He uses to perfect us. He perfects us in the crucible of adversities. The tribulations He sends us are not punishments for past failures, but divine tools to conform us to His image. Paul’s thorn in the flesh, Job’s loss of all his possessions, family, and health, Joseph’s betrayal by his brethren, his being sold as a slave, and later his being falsely accused and thrown into prison, were all for a divine purpose.

Amen 25Z... Yes through our trials , our heartaches , our sickness and our pain , we are being perfected and our Heavenly Father never leaves us nor forsakes us but is like a cheerleader , right there cheering us on saying well done my son or daughter . We can focus upon the cross as our example , knowing that what Jesus went though for us will be all worth it some day when we see Him ..... What a day that will be .

So we need to press on towards the goal and the finish line .... the eternal resting place with our Saviour and Lord.

Life is not about us ; it is about Him .

Proverbs 29

Vs 8 ….. Mockers stir up a city,
but wise men turn away anger.

Mockers : This is speaking of attitudes and actions that create anger . Wise words and action can stop anger from spreading.

Vs 11 …… A fool gives full vent to his anger,
but a wise man keeps himself under control.

This chapter seems to be talking a lot about the folly of anger and it’s results . Anger is dangerous . If a person succumbs to anger , there is always consequences and remorse that follows . Sometimes the “ anger” incites even worse reactions of hurt and bitterness.

Therefore as said a “ wise “ man keeps his anger under control .

Vs 13 ….. The poor man and the oppressor have this in common:
The LORD gives sight to the eyes of both.

The poor and oppressed …… Because we serve a just and fair God , He sees the poor and oppressed and if we treat them with kindness God will also treat them justly .

Vs 20 …… Do you see a man who speaks in haste?
There is more hope for a fool than for him.

I am wondering if the saying “ haste makes waste “ came from this verse. Speaking in haste will always bring words of unkindness and possibly hurt feelings --- But the hasty person cannot take those words back after he has said them . So God says there is more hope for a fool than him which does not leave much room .

Vs 23….. A man's pride brings him low,
but a man of lowly spirit gains honor.

Pride …. Yes we all know what can happen to a prideful person . Many have started out serving the Lord with humility and have let satan rob them little by little by telling them about their self worth and puffing them up . Then they forget that it is God who put them in their position in the first place . And oops fallen from their pedestal and dishonoured .

Excellence can be attained if you - care more than others think is wise - risk more than others think is safe - dream more than others think is practical - and expect more than others think is possible. - Anonymous

In our quest for excellence it is important that we learn the lesson of service to others . In all that we do and say we should be putting others before ourselves . Jesus is our example and what greater servant was He .

In this selfish world we live in where everything is focused on " me" and" I am worth it " and we hear all the commercials on TV . Do not be deceived , and don't let these ideas infiltrate into our minds and lives .

Mark 10:43-45

43Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,
44and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all.
45For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Luke 22:27

27For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.

John 13: 16-17

16I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.
17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

Chapter 30

The final two chapters of Proverbs are credited to two unknown authors – Agur and Lemuel

I find chapter 30 to be very poetic and descriptive .

Vs 2-3…… "I am the most ignorant of men;
I do not have a man's understanding.

3 I have not learned wisdom,
nor have I knowledge of the Holy One.

Agur is talking about being ignorant because he thinks his wisdom and understanding are justified when compared to the wisdom and mystery of God .

Vs 4….. 4 Who has gone up to heaven and come down?
Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands?
Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak?
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and the name of his son?
Tell me if you know!

Here he is speaking of all the wonders of God back in the very beginning of time in Genesis ….. Do you know his name and the name of his son ? Referring to Jesus .

Vs 6 …… 6 Do not add to his words,
or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Every word in the Bible is flawless and when men add or take away they are a liar . That is another reason why we always need to check the Word to make sure that what we hear is from God and not man .

Vs 8 -9 ……. 8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

He is saying that those who have too much seem to forget God because they have it all and don’t need Him : whereas if we have to little it cause a person to steal .and then we will not be a good witness .

The rest of this chapter is very descriptive and bears reading as I love the way nature is described.

Vs 6 …… 6 Do not add to his words,
or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Revelation 22:18
For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book

Back