Pursue Excellence

Pursuing Excellence In Sub- mission

As we live in today’s world we find people are taught to never give in --- Part of that analogy is true but “ never give in “ does not necessarily co – inside with Christianity .

People in the world are taught winning is everything but surrendering is wimpy . They would rather talk about winning , succeeding , overcoming and conquering than yielding , submitting , obeying and surrendering .

But to the Christian we look to the Cross of Jesus and see that Jesus surrendered Himself to God’s will “ Not My will be done but yours be done “ . Jesus let go of his privileges and became a servant , obedient to death .

God wants all of my life and yours and the more we realize how much God loves us the easier it becomes to surrender our lives to Him .

As we submit ourselves to Him , the Bible tells us we will experience peace, freedom and God’s power in our lives .

Isn’t that the best way to live our life ?

Still pursuing excellence ? God wants us to excel in all we do .

4 Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:

6 He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes.

Psalm 37: 4-7

Because we are talking about sub- mission , the more we submit to Jesus and not our own desires , the more passionate we become for Him . We take the focus off of us and put it on Him

Our problems that we have become minuscule : we leave them at the cross for Jesus .to look after them and we concentrate on His fullness , His love, His goodness and we desire more of Him .

An example of submission are the symptoms : remember the last time you had a cold or the flu ? What preceded it ? – Usually it is aching joints , a scratchy throat , running nose and sneezing .right ?: Well, you’ve caught something . We can say these are the “symptoms “ of a cold or flu . We are beginning to experience “ symptoms “ and we know what is around the corner . But the symptoms have not reached the : full blown” stage .

Just like the example of the cold or flu the “symptoms “ as we submit to Jesus , we too catch the move of the Holy Spirit . As we submit ourselves to God’s Lordship : we can expect the miraculous .

Hey , what does the have to do with a cold or flu you say ? Hmmmm , glad you asked . Just like the cold or flu – the symptoms are” contagious “ Now do you see where I am going with this ?

When in the “ contagious “ stage we hunger and thirst to read more of the God’s Word and pray with more intensity

Symptoms of submission are evidence of the Holy Spirit doing a greater work in our lives with more opportunities to share our faith and a more confident life of sharing God’s great love.

Catch the” symptoms “ and apply them to your life . These are “ symptoms “ that can heal , set free and change a community forever .

Correct. We should always be going forward, reaching for the goal.

Amen forward as into battle .... advancing ... towards the mark . We are in the army of God and He is our Captain . Looking and advancing ,running the race.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us...... Hebrews 12:1

Philippians 3:13
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before 14I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 3:13
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before 14I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Yes thanks . That was the verse I was looking for . I knew the verse but couldn't remember where it was .... Hmmmm ..... sometimers again . LOL

Pursing Excellence in Family Matters .

“ Excellence Living “ matters in all aspects of our lives . If we are to pass on the legacy of living for Christ to our children , first we must show that God is real in our own life . We must show our families that relationship with God is a 24/7 relationship and sometimes actions speak lauder than words .Our families need to know and learn about God and to love Him with all they’ve got by our example

A wonderful example of a Godly woman and a woman of faith was Hannah taken from the first book of Samuel from 1 to 28 .

Hannah was Ramathaim’s favourite wife but she could not have a child so was ridiculed by his other wife because of her bareness .

Hannah had real problems as in that day it was a disgrace not to have children , but she did not lash back at the other wife nor did she complain to her husband but instead she took it to the Lord and cried to Him . She wept and wept and would not eat .

But year after year Hannah continued to cry out in prayer to God not giving up . Making a vow with God that if He gave her a son , she would give him back to the Lord. .

Eventually God gave her a son and she named him “ Samuel “ . She did not forget her promise to God and when Samuel was weaned she gave him to Eli the priest in the tabernacle .

To me as a mother , I cannot imagine leaving a three year old and going back home and each year she would come and worship in the tabernacle and bring her son a new cloak.

Hannah was faithful to God and honoured Him .

The we also see in Chapter 2 , Hannah rejoicing and praising God . God had provided a son . What an excellent example of faith .

Faith, that as we read these stories lifts us up and gives us assurance , that our God is an awesome God as we yield all to Him .

Do
not dwell upon your inner failings... Just do this: Bring your soul to the
Great Physician - exactly as you are, even and especially at your worst moment
... for it is in such moments that you will most readily sense His healing
power.

Richard C. Trench said, "Prayer is not getting man's will done in heaven, but getting God's will done on earth. It is not overcoming God's reluctance but laying hold of God's willingness."

What a great way to pursue excellence in our lives . Not my will but thine be done .
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#

"Your prayers are honored as precious jewels. Your words do not stop until they reach the very throne of God."-Max Lucado

I was reading in Ephesians Chapter 5 where we are to submit to our authorities , just as Christ is the Head of the church , we want to please Him by honouring and obeying our parents , our spouse our leaders in the church as we are under all these examples . Ephesians 5:21 says " submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.."

What does it mean to submit to one another in reverence ( fear ) of God ?

First of all we need to understand what submission is : The motive for submisssion is not social kindness . The motive for submission is not the law of God . The motive for submission is respect for Jesus Christ .

Reverence of God or fear of God describes what should be our motive for submitting to one another . We should submit to one another , seeing ourselves as thinking of others and not ourselves , thinking as a unit or body team , out of respect for God the Father and out of respect for Jesus Christ .

If we love Jesus and respect Him , we will want to serve others because we love Jesus . Submitting to one another is Biblical and Paul uses the term reverence / fear in this passage I would like to say it is a respect that is compatable with love, our love for Jesus . We will want to please Him and not dissapoint Him . When we really respect some one , we care about them and care about pleasing them and are afraid of diappointing them .

What does submitting to one another in reverence ( Fear) of God mean in a practical sense ?

We must not be thoughtless , but think of others.
We must not be individualistic , must not be self - assertive or self seeking
We must have a " team attitude "
We must be happy when some one else succeeds or does well .
We must bear our own discomforts and trials with courage

We should submit to one another , seeing ourselves as thinking of others and not ourselves , thinking as a unit or body team , out of respect for God the Father and out of respect for Jesus Christ .

The way I see submission to another, (and also Agape love), it to seek the spiritual good of others above what we would want, even to the discomfort of ourselves or to our own hurt.

The way I see submission to another, (and also Agape love), it to seek the spiritual good of others above what we would want, even to the discomfort of ourselves or to our own hurt.

I like that sister . That's good . Thanks .

When we think of submission , it does not mean inferiority like a lot of people think . Also submission does not mean we have to be silent either . There is a balance between the two . Submission can be divided in to two parts Sub and Mission .

There is a mission for a marriage or a mission to others . That mission is obeying and glorifying God .

In a marriage the wife says " I'm going to put myself under that mission . " That mission is more important than my individual desires . I'm not putrting myself below my husband , I'm putting myself below the mission God has for our marriage , for my life."

In order for us to continue in our pursuit , there are so many examples in the Bible of our right living and if we are hungering and thirsting after the Word here is one example .

Paul in Colossians 3: 12-17 .... says .....
Colossians 3:12-17

12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.
17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

In this study , I would like to focus on “ Clothe yourselves with compassion , kindness , humility , gentleness and patience . “
Each one of these qualities mentioned in this passage express themselves in relationships . A significant measure of our Christian life is found simply in how we treat people

Jesus gave us a perfect example when He said “ By this all will know that you are My disciples , if you have love for one another ( John 13 :35 )

Each of these qualities also tell us what it means to live in the nature of Jesus as Philippians 2: 1- 11 describes .

Isn’t it great to know that we are God’s chosen people and to know that when we are in His will for our lives that He binds us all together in perfect unity ? We are not of the same character as the world and that is why they view us as wimps so to speak but in essence I would rather be a wimp for Jesus cause He has made me strong and the world will know that I am different and am following Jesus and His standards and not the world’s standards .

The new us is chosen by God . And we have been chosen by Him to be something special in His plan …. Some might view the word chosen / elect as a frightening word , but it should be taken as a comfort . and a s a destiny to fulfill .

Now this morning my Pastor was speaking on this very passage in Colossians that I was speaking about above. and she started out by asking us if we watch the program ... " What not to wear ." Of course most of us women watch that program .

So in this passage Jesus also is telling us about the garments that we should not wear
.if we are pursuing excellence in our life .We need to wear what is laid out for us from the Lord . Just like when we were little children and our mothers laid out out clothes for us to wear in the morning , Jeus has laid out our clothes from His Holy Word .

What we should not wear and get rid of those old clothes as it says in verse 5 ... Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

I would like to add some also to this list ... Anger which if unchecked leads to rage and then rage leads to malace and even to the point of killing some one . Slander and filthy language are also not part of our Christian garment .

So what should we wear ? verse 15 .... A garment of love will keep all the other garments together and we will be able to walk out of the house fully clothed with the armour of God ready for our day ... 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Continuing on the path to excellence in everything we do and say ; God desires that we develope and nuture a personal relationship with Him

When you marry someone , you don't go and live in separate houses and never talk to each other from that day forward , do you ?

That's not the way it is suppose to happen . It's the same with the church . A lot of people think that they are just supposed to say the marriage vows ( " I accept Jesus as my personal Saviour ") get born again and then go about their merry way .

Hello !!!! they have a ticket to heaven , but have every intention of continuing to live their life the way they want to . ..... errrrr maybe a little more cleaned up . . THey think without serious effort on their part they can get by . How can they not make any effort at intimacy with the One to whom they've just been given life ?

Hmmmmm .... perhaps that's the problem Perhaps most Christians don't realize that getting born again is just the beginning and starting point of a rich and deeply intimate life with union with God . And so they miss out on the very heart of what they've been given . THey remain focused on themselves and the things of this world and loose the very purpose of their life.

The more excellent way that Paul spoke of to the corinthians was love .

in this case i believe "Love is patient" is very apropro .

for example: i never had even the inkling to be a disciple until like 7 years in and i wasn't even associated with a church or anything .. this desire just kicked in . and for some it is earlier . some are caterpillars and some are butterflies . but all have the same spiritual DNA .

According to the bible . the marriage doesn't actually happen until the resurrection . the "bride" isn't even shown until after the white throne judgement . a beautiful turn on words that way .. instead of until death do us part .. not even death will part us .

But in the meantime we have the Holy Spirit as a pledge against that day . so we know God is faithful and able to establish us . and able to keep us from falling .. and able to do immeasurably more than we could think or ask .

thank you for your meditations Dusty on His way that is most excellent :)

Back