Pursue Excellence

That's how I've always seen it: the book of God's wisdom, specifically. But of course ALL the the Bible is God's wisdom and direction for life

Amen ... I am enjoying digging into this Book once again and taking the challenge that our Pastor gave us for this month . And this morning was awesome as pastor asked all the young people to come to the front and she had prophesy for them that pertained to Proverbs and the way some of the young people were behaving . As the Holy Spirit fell ... those young people were weeping and crying out to God , getting bapitsed in the Holy Spirit and slain in the Spirit . We didn't even have any preaching ... The Holy Spirit took over and us older folk ( that's me) went down and prayed with these young people . I am still moved by all this and am in tears of joy telling this. . We serve an awesome God .

My prayer is for these young people that when they get out in the world that this is a lasting impression upon them as they present their bodies a living sacrifice to Jesus and not succume to all the eveilness out in the world . Cover them with your Blood precious Jesus .

All through out Proverbs as I read God is telling us to guard our hearts and if we are into the Word and following His commands the heart will be cleansed daily as we ask Him to search our hearts . Because we are also told that the heart is deceitful above all things and out of the mouth comes the thoughts of the heart and if we have pure thoughts , then that is what our mouth will speak .

Proverbs 4:23 ~~~ Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.

Luke 6:45~~~~~The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks

Question for today .....

Using your dictionary define " Excellence" . How is "excellence " defined from a Biblical Standpoint? and How would we define our Biblical Pursuit of excellence ?

Question for today .....

Using your dictionary define " Excellence" . How is "excellence " defined from a Biblical Standpoint? and How would we define our Biblical Pursuit of excellence ?

Excellence....to abound...to have enough and some to spare.

Excellence....to abound...to have enough and some to spare.

Thank you HeisallIneed ....

Using your dictionary and defining excellence as websters would say it : To be greater or better but from a Biblical standpoint we can say that we can only achieve those attributes by taping in to Jesus Christ who is our source of wisdom . Proverbs 8:11 tells us that wisdom is more precious than rubies and nothing you can desire can compare to her . Wisdom and common sense are connected in proverbs and is seen as directly related to the Lord’s instruction.

The truly wise person is the one who worships sand honours the Lord and lives according to His commands.

I will insert this saying here but it is not a proverb : A proverb a day keeps the devil away .

Proverbs can be classified as Truth and discipline and also as parallel or opposite statements. Each proverb has a different theme and there are different kinds of proverbs .

1….. Opposite statements where the same instruction is given twice but in opposite ways

2…. Similar … Same statement but given twice in similar ways

3…. Explanation …. The first is an image and next explained

4…. Comparison … metaphor or simile

5… Description 3 or 4 answers that follow a statement

6…. “ if and then “ or else or else “ is usually implied but not stated .

Proverbs 11 speaks of righteousness and trust . Those who live right and obey the Lord cause the community to be blessed

Proverbs 11:10…. When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy.

Proverbs 12 speaks of discipline … 12:18…. 18 Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

Of course we all know that true wisdom comes from God and in Proverbs wisdom is based on the law that Moses gave to the people at My Sinai ( Ex 19:34)

And in the NT …. Jesus is the described as the one whose wisdom is greater than Solomon ( Matt 12 :42)

13:18 …. He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame but whoever heeds correction is honoured.

1….. Opposite statements where the same instruction is given twice but in opposite ways

2…. Similar … Same statement but given twice in similar ways

3…. Explanation …. The first is an image and next explained

4…. Comparison … metaphor or simile

5… Description 3 or 4 answers that follow a statement

6…. “ if and then “ or else or else “ is usually implied but not stated .

When reading the chapters of Proverbs I have noticed these different types. But it's interesting how you categorized them.

As I read proverbs and as you red Proverbs the Lord might point out different passages to you than me so I am just picking out the verses that the Lord pointed out in my own life.

Proverbs 15:1 …1 A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.

This is a lesson that I need to learn , not to be so hasty with my words but give the Holy Spirit time to help me

15:4….. The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life,
but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.

You see here how our words if done in the right attitude can be a blessing to some one else.

16: 23…. A wise man's heart guides his mouth,
and his lips promote instruction.

That one is pretty self explanatory .

In chapter 16 also there is the verse 16:9 …..In his heart a man plans his course,
but the LORD determines his steps.

As we plan our life ‘s course , and I am not saying it is not good to plan , ultimately if we are not walking with God , how would He determine our steps?

16:25….There is a way that seems right to a man,
but in the end it leads to death.

So that answers the question if we are not following God and if man goes his own way and thinks it is right , that is only his way and is not guided by God God knows best and He has orchestrated our steps . The Lord is in control .

Catching up to 17 and 18 as I have been reading a chapter a day and today is the 18 of January .

Proverbs 17: 3 …… The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but the LORD tests the heart.

The Lord tests the heart ¨ If we go to a silver or gold refinery we will see the many processes that these precious metals need to go through in order for them to come out as pure gold or silver .

It’s the same with us as God puts us though the tests of life we can either be supple and allow these tests or run from them and become bitter . But if we submit to God , trusting Him all the way we will come out of the fire refined as pure silver or gold and become the servants of God that He desires us to be .

Chapter 18…..

Verse 10….. The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
the righteous run to it and are safe.

This is one of my favourite verses . Because our God is our refuge , we can run to Him any time , knowing that He is there protecting us just as a strong tower or fortress protected those who were hiding from the enemy . so tied in with this verse is Psalm 18 :2 …..
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

There are so many verses in this chapter that stand out to me but here is one 18 : 21…..The tongue has the power of life and death,
and those who love it will eat its fruit.

Wow !!! So I can say thinking of the old saying that we have “ I have to eat my words “ If what comes out of your mouth is not the Holy Spirit led – we will ultimately stumble - I have done it and so have you . but as we grow in the Lord – He refines my thoughts which are projected out of my mouth .

What a way to sum up; chapter 18 ….. verse 24 says …..A man of many companions may come to ruin,
but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Wow !!!!! Jesus calls us friend and we can call on Him 24/7 . He is never late , always on time .

Praise His Name

Into Proverbs 19 … And what spoke to me .

Proverbs 19: 4….. Wealth brings many friends, but a poor man's friend deserts him.

In this chapter Solomon is talking a lot about wealth . From what I can see is some people believe becoming friends with the rich will bring them happiness and some do it for selfish reasons .

Then in verse 7….. A poor man is shunned by all his relatives— how much more do his friends avoid him! Though he pursues them with pleading, they are nowhere to be found.

This goes with saying that even today people avoid the poor but in ancient Israel days people did not want to make friends with the poor . Poor in those days was used to describe those who were considered to have little value .

But , I ask who did Jesus come to ? He was born in a lowly manger--- the lowest of the low . So He wanted to show the Jews and the world that poverty and riches did not matter and that we are all equal in the sight of God . Jesus said blessed are the poor for theirs is the Kingdom of God .

Verse 17 …. He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done.

Verse 22…. What a man desires is unfailing love; better to be poor than a liar.

Chapter 20

Verse 24…… A man's steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand his own way?

This verse ties in with a previous verse 19:21…… Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.

Bottom line , the Lord control all that happens in life not us and we need to understand that He directs our path and as long as we think we can do it by ourselves , it turns into disaster , but He still gives us the free will to do so.

Chapter 21

Verse 2……. All a man's ways seem right to him, but the LORD weighs the heart.

I find this chapter talks a lot about our heart and it’s condition . If the heart is not right or in tune with the Lord , then His ways will also not be right . When we have a right relationship with God we are not prideful , arrogant or lying. God is noting who is living right and if we are not our house will bring us to ruin .

Our outward action is visible to everyone but God sees and judges our heart. He knows our thoughts ,and motives .

This chapter also talks about worldly pleasures saying if we love these things such as money and wine we will never be rich in the things of the Lord.

Verse 17 ……. He who loves pleasure will become poor; whoever loves wine and oil will never be rich.

Verse 21….. He who pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor.

----out of the mouth comes the thoughts of the heart and if we have pure thoughts , then that is what our mouth will speak .

Proverbs 4:23 ~~~ Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.

This has always been a favorite verse of mine. It's the core issue. You might say, the 'heart' of any problem. :) It all comes from the heart.

You can even tell in less than 5 minutes whats in a strangers heart by what they say.

It's the core issue. You might say, the 'heart' of any problem. :)[/B] It all comes from the heart.

Yup, and to God, that's the most important thing

But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
1 Pet 3:4

Yup, and to God, that's the most important thing

But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
1 Pet 3:4

Thanks for that verse , John . Let us all hide in our heartsand focus on things that are pure and pleasing to the Lord A sweet savour offered to Him .

This has always been a favorite verse of mine. It's the core issue. You might say, the 'heart' of any problem. :) It all comes from the heart.

You can even tell in less than 5 minutes whats in a strangers heart by what they say.

It's the core issue .... the heart of the problem .... I like that . Cause out of the the heart the mouth speaks so yes that is so true , we can discern a stranger by his speech

we can discern a stranger by his speech

But of course, we should still be wary of this:

For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple
Rom 16:18

But of course, we should still be wary of this:

For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple
Rom 16:18
That's true too. With some it takes awhile longer, but I was speaking in general. Sooner of later though a person's true colors begin showing

That's true too. With some it takes awhile longer, but I was speaking in general. Sooner of later though a person's true colors begin showing

Yup Yup .... I agree . That is even true in churches .

Some people go just to hear from a pastor , while others to hear what the Holy Spirit speaks to them through the pastor's words.

In Proverbs .... 18 :24 .... words kill and words give life .... In other words what would we want poisin or truth ?

I definitely agree w/ that. Hear a person talk for more than 2 hours... yup, that will give you an idea what kind of person he is.

I've talked alot longer than 2 hours on here, so you can tell I am a .........

talker.

yak yak yak :p
I do try to keep quiet, but it's hard LOL

I've talked alot longer than 2 hours on here, so you can tell I am a .........

talker.

yak yak yak :p
I do try to keep quiet, but it's hard LOL

Ha ha .... that's so cute GodSpeaks ..... I love it . Actually I write better than talking. My thoughts seem to come together better.

Not me. It flows out my mouth easy but hard to write down and lots of work to type out.

Maybe I need to pursue excellence in this area

James 1:19
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak..........

Back