New Zealand

When UK people come here, they take all the good temping jobs.
I suppose its the same when NZers go to UK.

I wouldn't know. And I think I've only met a couple of kiwis. One was over here for cricket and maybe the chance to visit elsewhere in the world on a working (student?) holiday. Small stuff but maybe with opportunities. Got talking to him briefly in a bar he worked in.

I dont think i could ever work in a bar. But thats the job they give foreigners in UK.
Although I did joke to mum if i couldnt find a job in nz pubs in London would want me, AND give free accomodation. She was horrified.

I heard in nz the garden centres are giving working holiday visas. So if you under 30, come work in a garden centre in nz. Wish they had a similar scheme in UK with their gardens, but then I'm over 30 so be too old.

In canada they want people to work in their ski fields, in the US, its summer camps.

I meet lots of Brits doing temp work.
Many come here for family..as NZ after all, was a british colony.
My sister is in London and now a UK citizen. I keep thinking one day she'll invite me over..but...she never says :-(

I think I'd like to go see all the gardens.. and the chelsea flower show. People say Christchurch was like a little England. Before the earthquake, it was..like the most english city outside of England. Sadly though, most everything was destroyed in the earthquake. The anglican cathedral was ruined. I think they gonna build a new one though.
They have the flower show there.

We became independent ie. Not colony but declared a dominion in 1907, and self-governing i.e own legislation in 1947.

The Queen is still our head of state though. But I think its just cos she and her family likes to go visiting. When the royals come here, everyone goes a bit gaga. Or it might be just the new babies.

They are so cute..

Another NZ product in the UK is New Zealand lamb.

Coming back to the butter theme. Two major brands over here are or at least were Anchor and Lurpak. We at home when butter was the norm for us used to look on the NZ Anchor as a stock decent quality butter. The Danish Lurpak seemed more of a luxury - my grandfather used to get Lurpak - I think to do with his own health problems as they did a lightly salted and possibly unsalted.

Both countries also had a meat product associated with them. With Denmark it was Danish Bacon.

Supermarket bacon over here these days tends to shrink to 1/2 of its raw size and spit greasy water out while cooking.

Well, each to their own. In supermarkets here they've recently taken to importing british food stuffs. I don't know why, they look odd and peculiar. I can't imagine many kiwis buying them. things like Twiglets and steak and kidney pies in a tin, and walkers chips that taste like salty cardboard.

Twiglets. We rarely get them but I can eat a packet.

I've not encountered tinned steak and kidney pies.

Walkers crisps/chips (I hate calling them chips - to me a chip will always be a French Fry but even over here, some seems to want call crisps chips...) are a big brand here. There used to be 2. I think what used to be Smiths became Walkers and I don't know what happened to Golden Wonder (which incidentally is also a variety of potato). When I was young, I vaguely remember there used to be a blue bag in the pack that held the salt so you could control how much you wanted. It made a sort of revival at one point with a different blue bag (the old one was just twisted, the newer ones were sort of factory sealed).

Again, it's not something we normally get at home. A posher and a bit more interesting brand is Kettle (whos UK base is Norwich - not far from me). I seem to remember there was also a brand from S Wales called Real Crisps.

Coming back to the butter theme. Two major brands over here are or at least were Anchor and Lurpak. We at home when butter was the norm for us used to look on the NZ Anchor as a stock decent quality butter. The Danish Lurpak seemed more of a luxury - my grandfather used to get Lurpak - I think to do with his own health problems as they did a lightly salted and possibly unsalted.

Both countries also had a meat product associated with them. With Denmark it was Danish Bacon.

Supermarket bacon over here these days tends to shrink to 1/2 of its raw size and spit greasy water out while cooking.
Yep anchor is the main brand here.
Anchor butter and milk and cheese.
Nobody would dream of buying imported milk and butter here. You can also get mainland cheese and butter which is a bit more fancy, and comes unsalted. Theres also a semi soft butter, that comes in a tub, if you prefer it soft for spreading.

The best our of our food produce is exported...so UK gets the export quality meat, apples, butter.
Which is a shame for us as, we get the leftovers!!! Well, the meat and apples. There is so much butter and it keeps well, that we get the best of that.

Twiglets. We rarely get them but I can eat a packet.

I've not encountered tinned steak and kidney pies.

Walkers crisps/chips (I hate calling them chips - to me a chip will always be a French Fry but even over here, some seems to want call crisps chips...) are a big brand here. There used to be 2. I think what used to be Smiths became Walkers and I don't know what happened to Golden Wonder (which incidentally is also a variety of potato). When I was young, I vaguely remember there used to be a blue bag in the pack that held the salt so you could control how much you wanted. It made a sort of revival at one point with a different blue bag (the old one was just twisted, the newer ones were sort of factory sealed).

Again, it's not something we normally get at home. A posher and a bit more interesting brand is Kettle (whos UK base is Norwich - not far from me). I seem to remember there was also a brand from S Wales called Real Crisps.
Sorry i do mean crisps. Im used to calling them chips, as we do call them that here, but technically they are crisps. Or crispy. We also do have Kettle cooked crisps. The main brand here is Bluebird and Eta. I used to be quite addicted to them, but have stopped eating them now. I did hear they used to come with little packets of salt and flavour but now they dont..its all ready salted. I saw a marmite flavour one! My favourite was salt and vinegar.

I find it odd in the uk that pies...are not actually pies. Its filling and a bit of crust on top but not actually baked like a round pastry with filling inside. Went to a pub, thought...this isnt a pie?!

I find it odd in the uk that pies...are not actually pies. Its filling and a bit of crust on top but not actually baked like a round pastry with filling inside. Went to a pub, thought...this isnt a pie?!

Hmm. I'd call a pie the same as you do. A pastry bottom and sides with no top would probably be a flan. I can't think what a pastry top only would be. Of course, things can depend on the pastry. If you use a suet pastry and steam it, you wind up with a pudding...

There was no bottom, only a pastry thing on top. It was weird. Maybe it was just that pub.

Pies to me are like georgie Pies used to be. Mcdonalds now have them, but they are not the same as they used to be :-(

Well, each to their own. In supermarkets here they've recently taken to importing british food stuffs. I don't know why, they look odd and peculiar. I can't imagine many kiwis buying them. things like Twiglets and steak and kidney pies in a tin, and walkers chips that taste like salty cardboard.

And I've just had a look at a couple of these companies. Walkers crisps these days are part of the American giant, PepsiCo. Twiglets ultimately come under Yildiz Holdings, a Turkish enterprise...

Pies to me are like georgie Pies used to be. Mcdonalds now have them, but they are not the same as they used to be :-(

I had to look that one up. The only Georgie Pie I could come up with was Georgie porgie pudding and pie..

We have McDonald's and Burger King but I dislike that fast food industry...

Georgie Pie closed down, nzers were all sad when it did cos it was our very own nz owned fast food restaurant.

Mcdonalds and burger king were american imports.

The best our of our food produce is exported...so UK gets the export quality meat, apples, butter.
Which is a shame for us as, we get the leftovers!!! Well, the meat and apples. There is so much butter and it keeps well, that we get the best of that.

Do you ever think it weird, all this food moving around the globe?

My mother (b. 1935) remembers Anchor butter from her childhood but she lived in a very rural (England/ Mid Wales borders and Shrewsbury was the main town) part of England with farms and largely self sufficient. Life was such that she remember getting water from a village pump. She remembers shire horses pulling carts of hay/straw - it was a childhood treat to ride on one after helping with the harvest. But, yes, it seems the imported butter was "always" around.

The butter was probably an "exception" though and for vegetable produce, there were (and still are if you are just trying to do stuff in your own garden) seasons. These days, almost everything seems available all year round. And the range of produce has increased and the way we can shop has changed.

Drifting on to something I really like here. The Indian ready made meals (palak paneer is one of my favourites). Just boil in the bag or microwave for a short while. For this we usually shop on line. Put a say £40 (free postage level) order in, some basmati rice, select from the meals, try some new ones, if you fancy (although I think these things there are seasonal) add some mangos, etc. . I love that we can get these things but it's crazy the way food moves around.

Did you buy it? I want to try it myself. Some people say it's nasty and others say it's wonderful. I'll try anything once :cool::p:D

Never had it tinned. I quite liked the only version I remember having off hand but to keep with the theme, hey, that day long ago was one when I'd had a wee dram. The actual thoughts of it these days make me feel sick before the eating but I can be very squeamish and picky with meat.

Try it. I quite like the thought of McChilli dancing the Gay Gordons and singing Auld Lang syne. ;);)

(Just thinking you might not know what the Gay Gordons is). Just in case, here's a clip with Jimmy Shand (famous Scottish style button accordion player)

Oh no..i couldnt bring myself to. The ingredients looked weird. I have had the vegetarian version when I was in scotland.
They have some weird stuff like quorn.

Also I remember, this was ten years ago now, everything labelled in the UK warning it contained tree nuts and sesame seeds. Are sesame seeds dangerous or something?

Back