New Zealand

I recall this one, but it's not about kiwis the bird but more about nzers. It's a mcDonalds commerical for kiwiburgers.

LOL but I'm not sure I'd handle the thought of eating a Kiwi - I live with vegetarians and largely follow their diet. Still, I get the marketing and see the sports a featured...

Another question. I genuinely can not tell an Aussie voice from a NZ one and have made the mistake in the past (which UK wise is as bad as calling a Lancashire man as being from Yorkshire or visa versa). Both sides would tell me that it's easy to hear.

Only thing I've sort of picked up is that the NZers I've known have tended to write "gidday" where aussies do "G'day" but I'm not sure that is rule?

Well..maybe i can find a you tube that will explain the difference, its just the accent thats different, although aussies tend to go more for american spelling and nzers british.

Eg nzers will say dance like dahnce and aussies tend to say it like dehnce.

The kiwiburger is not made from kiwis or kiwifruit. Its has a beef patty! Its not like a mcchicken made from chickens. They just call it that cos it has beetroot in it. Apparently if you stick a beetroot in a hamburger -It just makes it kiwi.

There ya go!

Thanks. Maybe I'll get it one day. I've got Australian relations (brother moved out to Queensland and I have a nephew and niece over there) but no one NZ.

I did know the word Esky from this song but didn't know the NZ (Bogle is actually from Scotland but he moved over there).

As for the other bit I am a beetroot over here (boltardy is a tasty bolt resistant variety) but I don't fancy eating a Kiwi.

Last edited:
Accents are very interesting and often affect the way we view people.
Eg Jesus was from Galilee, so had that accent, people recognised him coming from the countryside. I expect some townies snubbed Jesus cos he wasnt high-falutin or posh speaking like the eloquent Pharisees.

My sister has taken to speaking like a Pommie (what we call the English) her vowels have undergone a plummy shift living in London. You just pick it up.

I canna oonderstand Scots.

Accents are very interesting and often affect the way we view people.
Eg Jesus was from Galilee, so had that accent, people recognised him coming from the countryside. I expect some townies snubbed Jesus cos he wasnt high-falutin or posh speaking like the eloquent Pharisees.

My sister has taken to speaking like a Pommie (what we call the English) her vowels have undergone a plummy shift living in London. You just pick it up.

I canna oonderstand Scots.

I 'd not realised NZers also used the term "pommie".

I think the UK is quite diverse with its accents. Hardest for me to understand are some Geordies (N E England) and some Scots. What I think might be broad Glaswegian can be pretty unintelligible to me,

Thanks. Maybe I'll get it one day. I've got Australian relations (brother moved out to Queensland and I have a nephew and niece over there) but no one NZ.

I did know the word Esky from this song but didn't know the NZ (Bogle is actually from Scotland but he moved over there).

As for the other bit I am a beetroot over here (boltardy is a tasty bolt resistant variety) but I don't fancy eating a Kiwi.
I have a book called the australian kettle barbecue cookbook. Last year i bought a kettle bbq but not the weber brand, a kiwi version. Ive only had one bbq so far this year..its a summer thing.

I would say the kiwi insititution is the shared morning tea. This is when ladies 'bring a plate' and pull out all stops for their best baking.

I would say the kiwi insititution is the shared morning tea. This is when ladies 'bring a plate' and pull out all stops for their best baking.

I'll have to get over there ;-) I'm quite fond of Assam tea but am to lazy to make it (spoonful of instant coffee is my normal...) and baking to go with it to eat sounds good! Do these do's allow men?

Yes, although it seems men dont need to bring anything! But if they do, its usually sausage rolls or asparagus rolls. If you are married, you wife is going to do the baking, so you dont have to.

Yes, although it seems men dont need to bring anything! But if they do, its usually sausage rolls or asparagus rolls. If you are married, you wife is going to do the baking, so you dont have to.

I don't think I know asparagus rolls. We are in the process of trying to start a new asparagus bed (old one died for some reason - new plants on order) and I love this vegetable which over here has a short season - May to June. For me though, it would be steamed and eaten with butter.

I never knew what asparagus rolls were before I had to bring some for morning tea and a factory I worked in. The manager told me they were tinned asparagus wrapped up in slices of buttered white bread with the crusts cut off...like the kiwi equivalent of cucumber sandwiches.

He told me it was a nz thing and admonished me that Id never heard of them before. I much prefer spring rolls buts thats far too exotic for morning tea.

Mostly if had to bake something for morning tea I baked scones.

Oh yes..and butter is definitely a nz thing. We export butter (and other dairy products) around the world.

If you eat margarine, you a traitor and you dont know what you missing. Real kiwis eat butter.

Oh yes..and butter is definitely a nz thing. We export butter (and other dairy products) around the world.

If you eat margarine, you a traitor and you dont know what you missing. Real kiwis eat butter.

I think margarine is far more popular in the UK and I mostly eat margarine. I remember the old days when Stork had an advert the you couldn't tell it from butter and you'd sort of have to have all your taste buds removed not to taste it was different but I think a lot of the margarines/ spreads are quite nice now.

A long standing NZ brand of dairy products in the UK is Anchor.

Oh dear.
But margarine is plastic! Its totally artificial, its got colouring and flavour. Even though it says its natural its not. Its been refined and hydorgenated. Without the yellow colour, it would just be gray.

Why not just eat real butter?? I can totally tell the difference.

I dont think its that more expensive.
Also..butter is good for you. Its been churned for you.
Margarine hasnt been churned, its been plasticised. It doesnt melt like butter does. It kind of...is like eating creamy playdough or some kind of adhesive.

Sorry. I just cant stand margarine.

Yeah, I still taste a difference but think some margarines these days taste nice and some is maybe what you get used to.

Probably over here, the marketing reason over here has been suggestions it's healthier (not wanting to get into an argument with you over this or know enough myself - just some brands can be sold as good for you) . For home I'd guess convenience is a factor although I gather these days there are spreadable butters. No getting the block out of the fridge to warm it under the grill.

I'm mixed. We do sometimes get a block of butter here, maybe when my mothers decided she wants for cooking. I'll happily eat it.

Another NZ product in the UK is New Zealand lamb. Now that (and any other lamb) is something I can't stand. Of red meat, I do sometimes eat pork and beef (but live with vegetarian's, are happy with their diet) but lambs never been something I can take to.

hmm, I quite like lamb.
I like it better than pork or beef actually.

Well, each to their own. In supermarkets here they've recently taken to importing british food stuffs. I don't know why, they look odd and peculiar. I can't imagine many kiwis buying them. things like Twiglets and steak and kidney pies in a tin, and walkers chips that taste like salty cardboard.

When UK people come here, they take all the good temping jobs.
I suppose its the same when NZers go to UK. Most all the people who work in local govt and admin are brits. recently there was big hoo-ha over trying to change the NZ flag.
we decided not to cos it was gonna cost several million dollars.

Why can't Australia change theirs?

Back