New Zealand

Dunedin is the Edinburgh of the south.

I would say. On face of it...dunedin...presbyterian (knox college, divinity school is there)
Christchurch....Anglican town (cathedral)
Wellington....pagans (weta workshop, politicians)
Hamilton...latterday saints (temple is there)

Auckland ...religion seems to be either sport/gambling or work. There is a wesleyan bible belt, its in Mt roskill, or used to be. Churches on every corner.

But now, immigrants also bringing their religion so..we have mosques and temples and hare krishnas. And chinese restaurants. The chinese even have a kitchen God. Of course, europeans dont know this...they have no idea that food is being sacrificed to this idol.
But they have their own idols on tv. Which they sit and watch, while having dinner.

They have some weird stuff like quorn.

I quite like quorn which is a meat substitute produced from a fungus. A vegetarian mince I sometimes do with it is very popular with my parents.

Also I remember, this was ten years ago now, everything labelled in the UK warning it contained tree nuts and sesame seeds. Are sesame seeds dangerous or something?

I don't know about sesame seeds but peanuts can cause nasty, even fatal reactions - see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_allergy

I think it is common in the UK for foods that even just MAY contain traces to carry a warning. Sort of if you can't guarantee your production line or kitchen never ever comes into contact you write this warning. At least that's the way I understand it.

What? Death by peanuts? I think that is all hype.
I dont know anyone whos died from peanuts..but I know dozens of people who died from injesting alcohol.

Hmm..well I havent heard of any mysterious deaths cos someone ate some unlabelled food that had peanut traces in it.
Just seems overboard to me.
Im sure it might have to do with chemicals and pesticides in the food chain. People should just stop using pesticides.

Nz is meant to be GE free, but I know ppl do experiment making GMOs at university. We banned nuclear power and frigates...but it seems, GE food is ok.

With food I think its because britsh people want to eat Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawsons italian food, that tomatoes get shipped to the UK and grown in hot houses out of season. Cos they want to eat crazy things like salads in the middle of winter. Also, people pay for this kind of food they cant grow in their own backyards...
Whats wrong with a hearty stew I dont know...

Change of subject. What are you like with metric?

I'm in a confused world. I had both systems and the change of currency from pounds shillings and pence (12 pence make a shiiling and 20 shillings make a pound) in primary school days.

A lot of everyday things, I think of in the old Imperial terms, eg. a pound (weight this time, not money) jam jar and convert the kilogram roughly to pounds in my head.

Some things seem illogical over here to me, eg. you buy litres of petrol to travel miles on the roads but that's the way it is.

Me, I think we should have gone fully metric when I was a kid rather than years of clinging on but others would disagree.

With food I think its because britsh people want to eat Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawsons italian food, that tomatoes get shipped to the UK and grown in hot houses out of season. Cos they want to eat crazy things like salads in the middle of winter. Also, people pay for this kind of food they cant grow in their own backyards...
Whats wrong with a hearty stew I dont know...

Hmm, my own meat preferences (I'd use beef if I wanted it) give me some limitations but essentially, there is nothing wrong with say a Lancashire hotpot...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashire_hotpot

I grew up in metric, but it used to be imperial before I was born.
I think its easier to visualise inches, feet, stone, pounds and yards than grams, kilos and metres and hectares.

Like a pound of butter is 500 grams.

Yes its confusing, I agree. I still read time the old fashioned way. Half past, quarter to, am and pm etc. not 1300 hours.

I think i would be lost in the days of shillings and pence.

Why did they change it anyway? I suppose its easier...100 cents to a dollar.
But the weights and measures just seem a bit counter intuitive.

I grew up in metric, but it used to be imperial before I was born.
I think its easier to visualise inches, feet, stone, pounds and yards than grams, kilos and metres and hectares.

Like a pound of butter is 500 grams.

Interseting to read that. I'd have guessed you would have been picturing things in metric and converting when needed.

I still read time the old fashioned way. Half past, quarter to, am and pm etc. not 1300 hours.

I'm mixed. I would eg. say quarter to four but I prefer my PC to read 15:45

Dates. Are you btw DDMMYY like us or like the American MMDDYY ? Sometimes I prefer YYMMDD formats. They seem less ambiguous and sort more easily....

I used have a job to keyword images for american stock photo companies, and they had different standards of english and used different words. I just wondered why they couldnt get actual americans to do the keywording, but they wanted nzers to do it cos we are cheaper (apparently).

So..asphalt is blacktop
Colour is color
Tap is faucet
Etc etc. drove me nuts.

The first one...american way round is confusing. So 9/11 would actually be 11/9

Yep it is confusing. I know enough to ask myself where the person who uses these formats is from. eg. If I know someone is American I can almost automatically make the swap I need but I don't always know where a person is from or even if I did, which system they use.

??? I had no idea..I don't remember this.

Sorry Lanolin I was giving a UK thing. The Highway Code is something we need to know before driving. That one was supposed to be a humerous song a group came up with taking it in (I guess) psalm singing style.

We did have a big fasten seat belt campaign (front seatbelt wearing is compulsory these days - - 1980's I think that came in) and the catch phrase was "clunk click every trip". They were presented by Jimmy Saville who's name is almost unmentionable these days.

In my UK childhood, they had the Tufty series. I've posted this one before but as I have a ferret I call Willy Weasel, I'll use this one again.

Later there was the green cross code. The green cross man was David Prowse - probably better later known as the body (I think someone else did the voice) of Darth Vader in Starwars.

I was on the school crossing patrol. In return for holding the lollipops before and after school, we got a day trip to Rainbows End. Which is the auckland equivalent to disneyland.

Funny though we did not live to far from school, dad always drove us. I never had to walk to school. Not even a day. I thought all the other kids were far more grown up cos their parents let them walk to school. By themselves!!!!

I think I was too pampered. But that also meant, i could never play truant.

Back