New World Order, Environmentalism, Conspiracy theory etc.

I would agree with him on the point of what he calls "Scientism". I don't believe science is wrong per se (I think it tries to explain the way God sets day to day things working) but I do feel it with some can become the explainer of everything. And yes, for what they are worth, my own observations would suggest it can become a religion.

I've tended to have mixed feelings on science. There is much I'm sure I use because of it. Before dropping out of school (at the time athiest), the sciences were my favourite subjects. My own start of A Levels (last level of school in the UK before University) were physics, chemistry and maths. Still now, my own feeling is that something which can not see a spiritual side has major flaw.

Science may to me hold part of the jigsaw but not the whole picture by any means. Me as a very limited human being can tie myself up in knots on this. And I can get quite wound up when others don't see there is a spiritual side.

Though not one of my favorite subjects in high school - I have always been a big sci fi fan and really like science where it uses provable and or appliable facts. But things like evolution (which IMO has all but been proven as a failed theory) and things like panspermia seem mainly to try and prove that the universe came about by random chance and survival of the fittest. When they attempt to answer questions by denying God....they fail to answer the questions and push the majority away from the truth. I follow science and in the last few years, the breakthroughs are more aligned to scripture than not. The "Noah" film I mentioned uses science and math and scripture to explain Genesis and how what is written is true. They don't really know what is causing global warming and climate change (the scientists) but there are other theories that it could be happening because of a possible polar shift...or there is (wild) an approaching high gravity mass (planet). End time prophecies talk about famines, droughts, earthquakes and volcanoes - what I read as drastic weather changes. Is over population causing the problem or a century of rabid corporate greed caused earth degradation? I recycle...I hope that helps (grin).

Havent got round to Noah yet. It was a 4.8Gb download and even in parts, I'm not up for it right now. I will watch it though. Too many other things going on right now but I do intend to view it.

Evolution, I'm confused yes but I do not accept one creature being formed from another. I think evolution occurs on a small level but that's it.

Havent got round to Noah yet. It was a 4.8Gb download and even in parts, I'm not up for it right now. I will watch it though. Too many other things going on right now but I do intend to view it.

Evolution, I'm confused yes but I do not accept one creature being formed from another. I think evolution occurs on a small level but that's it.

(The EU put down was in the green pope video). Even on the small level....you already have all the dna combinations to get variety in a species. But you don't see any variety of potato turning into a tomato. The fact that all living things have dna means that there will be some large strings that are the same as say chimps and humans....and yet, in recorded history we have no chimps or missing link types that are turning human. People are now combining species dna or crossing such but scripture says this is a big no no. I've heard the argument of the micro evolution thingy and I'm not at all sure that it proves evolution even on the smaller scale. The GMO stuff is man made and contrived and appears not to be a good thing for humans if you listen to it's opponents.
I wasn't pushing on Noah...sorry if it seemed I was.

Why do you have to download Noah? Can't you just watch it on youtube?

I'm not going to watch what I think you suggested was 3 hrs in one go (yep tell me I have a short attention span...) and don't have the fastest (OK these days somewhere in the 2.5MB) of connections to want to go hopping about as I feel I might want to go back and forward with this video. I'm not always fond of downloading (and there can be copyright issues...) but I think this is the best approach for this on and for me.

The downloading is done anyway. I need to find a good time to start looking at at. And I will do that.

Only man made efforts I take it you know of the TomTato

I'd be a bit nervous of them. We were always taught the potato fruit is quite nasty.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Is that for real? Still laughing. I was unaware there was a potato and tomato plant when I posted but my man, that's just not natural.

Ok Ok... I know I should stop hanging around youtube but this news spot from skywatch struck me as funny

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Is that for real? Still laughing. I was unaware there was a potato and tomato plant when I posted but my man, that's just not natural.

Yes, this is a real product on the market in the UK.

I have not tried it and do worry about the nastier sides of solanacae. We love our potatoes and tomatoes but deadly nightshade is also, as you know, in this grouping.

We grow a minimal crop of potatoes at home here, Charlotte as they have a nice salad taste to them.

I also (this bit is one I try to take on) grow some salad types of tomato (Ailsa Craig is is a good stock UK one). Some plum ones, etc. I've not felt like combining tomatoes and potatoes in one plant though.

Last edited:
There are tomato plants grafted onto potato plants available, they run about $20 each. Rather pointless in my opinion.
Both potato and tomato are members of the Nightshade family, most of the members are highly toxic.
Tomato and potato are not closely enough related to hybridize, and yes, all parts of a potato other than the tuber are poisonous.
Once any living things DNA is set, it is "written in stone" and it will not be turning into anything else.

I admit I was thinking if "you say potato..." etc - so I guess I picked the wrong 2 things. I meant to try and speak to the fact that once as you say, the dna is set you don't have species turning into some opposite thing. You can have such things as a mule from a horse and donkey but the offspring are sterile. And they are all part of the species equine. Or maybe they are part of the same genus but different species? The liger from wikipedia shows: "
The liger is a hybrid cross between a male lion (Panthera leo) and a female tiger (Panthera tigris).[1] Thus, it has parents with the same genus but of different species. It is distinct from the similar hybrid tigon. While theSiberian tiger is the largest pure sub-species, ligers are believed to be the largest of all known extantfelines.[2][3][4]

Ligers exist only in captivity or zoo because the habitats of the parental species do not overlap in the wild. Historically, when the Asiatic Lion was prolific, the territories of lions and tigers did overlap and there are legends of ligers existing in the wild. Although ligers share characteristics of both from lion and tiger, they more closely resemble the lion, because of the dominant gene.[5] Notably, ligers typically grow larger than either parent species, unlike tigons which tend to be about as large as a female tiger and is the cross between a male tiger and a lioness.[6]

Most ligers suffer from embryonic fatality or premature death,[7] and those that survive are often genetically or physically sterile and therefore unable to reproduce and continue their lineage.[8]

In any event, whatever is contained in the species/genus dna is what determines what changes can happen in a subset over time and geography.....Darwinian evolution says that modern day man evolved from primates with zero evidence this happened. Micro evolution requires manhandling genetics to accomplish. And no one is denying that cutting and pasting dna strings isn't possible - only that it never happens naturally.

Funny isn't it Glomung. The (as I call them) parsleys also have nasty members, hemlock probably the best known. But carrots, and parsnips, celery, coriander and parsley itself to name a few I love.

I do have concerns about the environment and wonder whether our lusts for consumption and our wisdom might have caused some problems. I'm actually on a "greener" project at home as and when I can afford it. I try to do some project each year as my thank you to my parents for having me. This year, I'm (made more difficult as all the switches are home automation types and need replacing) converting the house to LED.

The motivation is more selfish than being green though. I'm trying to reduce electricity bills. I've cut the kitchen lights down from about 300W to 42W, the living room with everything on from over 600W to say 100W. Two outside floodlights from 600W to 100W. And improved the lighting at the same time. It's been quite an expensive business but I think in the longer term, it will prove to be worth while.

I've not always been sure of EU policies though. I think the good old 100W bulb became a bad thing and people seemed to get persuaded into CFLs which I don't like. At least now IMO, whatever the motivation, I think LED technology is mature and a viable option.
Hmm, i think its good to look after our environment and all the animals as they are Gods creation too...but some people take it way too far. God does care for the sparrows just as he cares for the hairs on our head.

With lights a better solution might be, install a skylight, and also, use solar power garden lights for outside. I agree that the campaign for eco light bulbs was a bit suss, considering. Those so called energy efficient ones contained mercury.

Funny isn't it Glomung. The (as I call them) parsleys also have nasty members, hemlock probably the best known. But carrots, and parsnips, celery, coriander and parsley itself to name a few I love.
There are quite a few plant families that have members which will give you a nasty surprise. Some it's the whole plant (i.e. Cycads), other it's just specific parts (Rhubarb, eat the stems but don't eat the leaves). Some just help you get cancer, (Pteridium aquilinum).
Some will only poison you in large amounts (Sheep Sorrel).

I admit I was thinking if "you say potato..." etc - so I guess I picked the wrong 2 things.

Total drift and I hope a bit of humour but one has to be careful Silk. Many years ago, I was a bit nasty to someone I didn't know who butted in on a conversation. He picked up on me saying "I'm a bit of a dabbler" and asked what a dabbler was. I led off describing a small 10 string member of the mandolin family. Someone else embellished it a little... A few days later I got a phone call from my mate - "Your not going to believe this but I've just bought a dabbler". Lovely instrument it was too very sweet sounding. Never did learn it's proper name.

There are quite a few plant families that have members which will give you a nasty surprise. Some it's the whole plant (i.e. Cycads), other it's just specific parts (Rhubarb, eat the stems but don't eat the leaves). Some just help you get cancer, (Pteridium aquilinum).
Some will only poison you in large amounts (Sheep Sorrel).
I learned sweet peas are poisonous, as are daffodils.
And winter roses (hellebores).

But then, you dont normally eat flowers. You can eat edible flowers though. Borage, nasturtium, violets. Mmm violets...

Total drift and I hope a bit of humour but one has to be careful Silk. Many years ago, I was a bit nasty to someone I didn't know who butted in on a conversation. He picked up on me saying "I'm a bit of a dabbler" and asked what a dabbler was. I led off describing a small 10 string member of the mandolin family. Someone else embellished it a little... A few days later I got a phone call from my mate - "Your not going to believe this but I've just bought a dabbler". Lovely instrument it was too very sweet sounding. Never did learn it's proper name.
A dibble is a stick you use in gardening to make a planting hole. Im not sure if theres such a thing as a dabble. But there could be.

I learned sweet peas are poisonous, as are daffodils.
And winter roses (hellebores).

But then, you dont normally eat flowers. You can eat edible flowers though. Borage, nasturtium, violets. Mmm violets...
Squash and pumpkin flowers are popular in latin America. Banana flowers in asia.

Back