Must one Hold to the trinity to be saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was raised AoG and Baptist. i just one day was reading and thought to myself, who is more important here, the doctrines of men or what God has Inspired? God did not inspire Doctrines because they don't say what the Bible says WORD FOR WORD!
Trinity plainly revealed to us in the NT!

IMO Father and Son are two words that have been used to describe the ONE omnipresent God in heaven and on earth. Before the incarnation it was not necessary, but now, 2000 years later, Son describes God on earth and Father describes God in Heaven, but spiritually, it is the same omnipresent God, and as God is One, the words 'three persons' are unnecessary.
While Jesus was on earth, the father was still in heaven, and the Holy Spirit was also here!

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit may be describing God's attributes.
Back to the thread.............

Must one Hold to the trinity to be saved?​

That is the question!

I would challenge anyone to tell me that they were saved because someone explained the "Trinity" to them and they believed it.

Belief in the trinity isn't necessary for one to become a believer - the trinity is basically humanly impossible to fully comprehend and only partially comprehended by the believers and NO ONE in my life experience has told me that they were saved by faith in the Trinity!!!!!

However, there isn't a believer who does not grow into an experiential understanding of the working aspects of the trinity in their Christian walk through life and understand that the God who saved us is a God where 3 persons make up the God head.

As I have grown from old to ancient, I can no better express the trinity than when I was young and strong, and good looking, however, there is no end to the witness of the trinity at work throughout my life.

So........does one have to believe in the Trinity to be saved...........................NO!

Should one who is born again, grow in knowledge to read the Bible and accept the Trinity...YES!

Back to the thread.............Must one Hold to the trinity to be saved?
That is the question! I would challenge anyone to tell me that they were saved because someone explained the "Trinity" to them and they believed it.
Belief in the trinity isn't necessary for one to become a believer - the trinity is basically humanly impossible to fully comprehend and only partially comprehended by the believers and NO ONE in my life experience has told me that they were saved by faith in the Trinity!!!!! However, there isn't a believer who does not grow into an experiential understanding of the working aspects of the trinity in their Christian walk through life and understand that the God who saved us is a God where 3 persons make up the God head. As I have grown from old to ancient, I can no better express the trinity than when I was young and strong, and good looking, however, there is no end to the witness of the trinity at work throughout my life. So........does one have to believe in the Trinity to be saved...........................NO! Should one who is born again, grow in knowledge to read the Bible and accept the Trinity...YES!

Hello Major;

First of all, I understand what you're teaching and I agree and personally feel the Trinity is way beyond our understanding because God's revealing of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit is not a simpleton thing.

The Church Fathers struggled with the mystery of the Triune God, the one God known to us believers as the Father in heaven, Jesus Christ the Redeemer and the Holy Spirit who would descend as our Helper. The distinctiveness of the Father, Son and Spirit has to be maintained in order to be true to the Gospel, where Jesus prayed to the Father and promised His disciples (and us) He would send the Spirit.

Second, what I didn't agree with is this thread going around in circles saying the same thing over and over. I could not convince anyone to understand the Trinity if I used this approach. This reminded me this has been going on for centuries.

The theologians and scholars also used misleading terms since no adequate words were available. This led to ambiguity and semantics that got so deep it aroused bitter division that it even ended up getting published in textbooks. The Triune does have a major purpose but this was not even in their discussion, and this is what was sorely overlooked;

God's Love, compassion, fellowship, listening, understanding, civility while arriving at a common ground and more, bringing the fellowship back into the heart of worship.

This is why it's takes more than a thread, Bible study or theology classroom on our part. I can do all three but at the end of the day do I master this teaching? No, but we are empowered to grow as disciples and understand more of the Trinity, but only as God grows us.

Major, to answer your question, I was saved at 9 years old in June 1966. I remember believing in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and I praise God for my Dad and Mom who introduced me to Christ. But as a child I was not schooled on the Trinity and what it meant at that moment before I accepted Jesus Christ. As my faith grew, backslid, sinned, repented and struggled in my relationship with Jesus, it was through the years that the understanding of the Trinity grew me.

When we understand the purpose of the Trinity it includes the Divine Unity, the Oneness shared by the Divine Trinity, then I personally can go out for a cup of coffee with my brother or sister and talk Jesus. If they use the term Trinity, Persons, Office..that's ok with me, I get it and can enjoy the bigger matters of our God.

God bless you all and your families.

Back to the thread.............

Must one Hold to the trinity to be saved?​

That is the question!

I would challenge anyone to tell me that they were saved because someone explained the "Trinity" to them and they believed it.

Belief in the trinity isn't necessary for one to become a believer - the trinity is basically humanly impossible to fully comprehend and only partially comprehended by the believers and NO ONE in my life experience has told me that they were saved by faith in the Trinity!!!!!

However, there isn't a believer who does not grow into an experiential understanding of the working aspects of the trinity in their Christian walk through life and understand that the God who saved us is a God where 3 persons make up the God head.

As I have grown from old to ancient, I can no better express the trinity than when I was young and strong, and good looking, however, there is no end to the witness of the trinity at work throughout my life.

So........does one have to believe in the Trinity to be saved...........................NO!

Should one who is born again, grow in knowledge to read the Bible and accept the Trinity...YES!
Perhaps I should have posted the OP as :can one be saved, and still deny the trinity?" as one to my understanding cannot hold to heresy such as Unitarianism, Modualism, or Oneness view of God and be a true Christian!

Hello Major;

First of all, I understand what you're teaching and I agree and personally feel the Trinity is way beyond our understanding because God's revealing of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit is not a simpleton thing.

The Church Fathers struggled with the mystery of the Triune God, the one God known to us believers as the Father in heaven, Jesus Christ the Redeemer and the Holy Spirit who would descend as our Helper. The distinctiveness of the Father, Son and Spirit has to be maintained in order to be true to the Gospel, where Jesus prayed to the Father and promised His disciples (and us) He would send the Spirit.

Second, what I didn't agree with is this thread going around in circles saying the same thing over and over. I could not convince anyone to understand the Trinity if I used this approach. This reminded me this has been going on for centuries.

The theologians and scholars also used misleading terms since no adequate words were available. This led to ambiguity and semantics that got so deep it aroused bitter division that it even ended up getting published in textbooks. The Triune does have a major purpose but that was not even in their discussion, and this is what was sorely overlooked;

God's Love, compassion, fellowship, listening, understanding, civility while arriving at a common ground and more, bringing the fellowship back into the heart of worship.

This is why it's takes more than a thread, Bible study or theology classroom on our part. I can do all three but at the end of the day do I master this teaching? No, but we are empowered to grow as disciples and understand more of the Trinity, but only as God grows us.

Major, to answer your question, I was saved at 9 years old in June 1966. I remember believing in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and I praise God for my Dad and Mom who introduced me to Christ. But as a child I was not schooled on the Trinity and what it meant at that moment before I accepted Jesus Christ. As my faith grew, backslid, sinned, repented and struggled in my relationship with Jesus, it was through the years that the understanding of the Trinity grew me.

When we understand the purpose of the Trinity it includes the Divine Unity, the Oneness shared by the Divine Trinity, then I personally can go out for a cup of coffee with my brother or sister and talk Jesus. If they use the term Trinity, Persons, Office..that's ok with me, I get it and can enjoy the bigger matters of our God.

Think that none of us can fully understand the Trinity, but also that per the bible cannot see God in other views such as Unitarianism, Modualism, and oneness and be saved!

Think that none of us can fully understand the Trinity, but also that per the bible cannot see God in other views such as Unitarianism, Modualism, and oneness and be saved!

Hello YeshuaFan;

Yes, and I agree with you regarding the first part of your post.

I know you have brought up the second part in this thread. Let's see where it goes.

God bless you, brother.

Hello Major;

The theologians and scholars also used misleading terms since no adequate words were available. This led to ambiguity and semantics that got so deep it aroused bitter division that it even ended up getting published in textbooks. The Triune does have a major purpose but that was not even in their discussion, and this is what was sorely overlooked;

You said.........
" But as a child I was not schooled on the Trinity and what it meant at that moment before I accepted Jesus Christ. As my faith grew, backslid, sinned, repented and struggled in my relationship with Jesus, it was through the years that the understanding of the Trinity grew me."

And that was ME! That is what I was trying to articulate!

We come to Christ by faith and accept the Lord Jesus. We read, we listen we grow and learn!

Perhaps I should have posted the OP as :can one be saved, and still deny the trinity?" as one to my understanding cannot hold to heresy such as Unitarianism, Modualism, or Oneness view of God and be a true Christian!

OH......I agree with you brother. All I am saying is that NO ONE I know including me most of all get saved with the Trinity being the reason.

Now as I read the Bible and grew in knowedge of the Word of God, it became clear that accpting the Trinity was the same as accpting Christ.

Now do I understand it today....NO!

OH......I agree with you brother. All I am saying is that NO ONE I know including me most of all get saved with the Trinity being the reason.

Now as I read the Bible and grew in knowedge of the Word of God, it became clear that accpting the Trinity was the same as accpting Christ.

Now do I understand it today....NO!
True, but we accept it as the way God describes Himself, as any other viewpoint would be heresy!

No, as all 3 Persons are all equally Yahweh, are you into Modualism or Oneness?
I do not follow cults, so you can forget Modalism and Oneness. Please do not make accusations against me.

Just lately, since the start of this thread in point of fact, the words, "all 3 persons are all equally Yahweh" have taken on a strange cultist sound. The Jews are certainly correct in their insistence on One God and as I would never deny Jesus, who is God with us from the beginning of days till the end of days, the Alpha, and Omega, the I AM. I might just come round to the belief I had as a child that Jesus is God and there is no other. Didn't Paul preach that to the Romans?

After all, a Christian is meant to follow Jesus the Saviour, and Creator of heaven and earth, all the days of their life and this talk of Trinitarianism takes our eyes away from the Lord. Perhaps that is what Satan wants, and thinking about the parable of the tares and the wheat, maybe it is this sort of talk that causes people to fall by the wayside, and to be honest, I cannot see a place for it in Christianity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back