Mosaic Law and Our Relationship To It As Shown By Christ

The modern push by Judaisers pushing to get more Christians to comply with the Law of Moses, specifically the feasts, observances, kosher (dietary) laws, Sabbath keeping, etc., is picking up its feverish pace.

I'd like to begin this thread with an observation aimed at Jesus' own relational stance with the Mosaic Law. Following are the six prime items in His teaching, borrowed directly from the Mosaic Law. In a careful reading, one can see quite clearly that Jesus was not focusing on validating the Law of Moses, especially when He said in His address of all six items, "...but I say..." That draws a clear distinction between the the Mosaic Law, which Christ fulfilled, and His ushering in of the New Covenant, foundationally defined by the superiority of His Law as He taught it on that mountain.

You have heard … “‘You shall not commit murder’ and ‘Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.’ … But I say to you … .” (NASB, Matt. 5:21-22; quotation of Exodus 20:13).

You have heard that it was said, “‘You shall not commit adultery’; but I say to you… .” (Matt. 5:27-28; quotation of Exodus 20:14).

“It was said, “‘Whoever sends his wife away, let him give her a certificate of divorce’; but I say to you… .” (Matt. 5:31-32; quotation of Deut. 24:1).

Again, you have heard … “‘You shall not make false vows, but shall fulfill your vows to the Lord.’ But I say to you… .” (Matt. 5:33-34; allusion to Lev. 19:12; Deut. 23:21).

You have heard that it was said, “‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you… .” (Matt. 5:38-39; quotation of Exod. 21:24).

You have heard that it was said, “‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you… .” (Matt. 5:43-44; quotation of Lev. 19:18).

For further reading on this, please see the following:

In each of the above points that He drew out from the Mosaic Law, He also drew a line of distinction by applying grater depths that the old system of Law did not express. Additionally, the content, tone and direction in the words Jesus spoke contrast Mosaic Law instruction in relation to His New Covenant requirements under which we now live.

MM

The modern push by Judaisers pushing to get more Christians to comply with the Law of Moses, specifically the feasts, observances, kosher (dietary) laws, Sabbath keeping, etc., is picking up its feverish pace.

I'd like to begin this thread with an observation aimed at Jesus' own relational stance with the Mosaic Law. Following are the six prime items in His teaching, borrowed directly from the Mosaic Law. In a careful reading, one can see quite clearly that Jesus was not focusing on validating the Law of Moses, especially when He said in His address of all six items, "...but I say..." That draws a clear distinction between the the Mosaic Law, which Christ fulfilled, and His ushering in of the New Covenant, foundationally defined by the superiority of His Law as He taught it on that mountain.

You have heard … “‘You shall not commit murder’ and ‘Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.’ … But I say to you … .” (NASB, Matt. 5:21-22; quotation of Exodus 20:13).

You have heard that it was said, “‘You shall not commit adultery’; but I say to you… .” (Matt. 5:27-28; quotation of Exodus 20:14).

“It was said, “‘Whoever sends his wife away, let him give her a certificate of divorce’; but I say to you… .” (Matt. 5:31-32; quotation of Deut. 24:1).

Again, you have heard … “‘You shall not make false vows, but shall fulfill your vows to the Lord.’ But I say to you… .” (Matt. 5:33-34; allusion to Lev. 19:12; Deut. 23:21).

You have heard that it was said, “‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you… .” (Matt. 5:38-39; quotation of Exod. 21:24).

You have heard that it was said, “‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you… .” (Matt. 5:43-44; quotation of Lev. 19:18).

In each of the above points that He drew out from the Mosaic Law, He also drew a line of distinction by applying grater depths that the old system of Law did not express. Additionally, the content, tone and direction in the words Jesus spoke contrast Mosaic Law instruction in relation to His New Covenant requirements under which we now live.

MM
Yes, the practice of keeping the Mosaic Law seems to be increasing. What that says to me is there is a lack of Bible literacy among the Christian church. It should not be a problem if Bible doctrine is actually taught in our Christian churches.

I have been detailing the Law in the study of Romans here on the forum. Paul said in Romas 6 that the Law id actually good and it is US, people who are the problem.

Since people generally lack common sense, common decency, or the desire for the common good, laws are created to keep us all in line and in check. Laws are created and enacted because some people do not properly behave. Laws often require us to do things that puts other people before ourselves and other goals before our own. God did the very same thing!

You probably have “household laws” in your own home which portray this quite well. Maybe you have rules about how much time children can spend on the computer, or who gets to sit where at mealtime, or what sort of chores need to be done before bedtime. If you think about any one of these rules, and they came into existence, you will likely recall the events and situations that led up to making such a law necessary for the happy existence of your family.

It is helpful to think about all biblical “laws” this way as well. Every law in the Bible is specific to a time and place and people. And every biblical law has a history behind it for why it was enacted and what it accomplished among the people who lived it. Yes, some of these laws, like “Do not murder,” are applicable to other times, people, and places, but that is not because all the laws are timeless decrees, but because people are people everywhere. Even if the Bible did not say, “Do not murder,” all humans everywhere naturally come up with this law against murder in order to maintain peace and stability. So even in the case of the 10 Commandments, all biblical “laws” are specific to a time and place and people, and they have a history behind how these laws were developed so that those people living in that time at that place could maintain peace and stability.

However......none of that applies to keeping the 10 Commandments simply for one reason, we Can Not Keep Them!

MM
Yes, the practice of keeping the Mosaic Law seems to be increasing. What that says to me is there is a lack of Bible literacy among the Christian church. It should not be a problem if Bible doctrine is actually taught in our Christian churches.

I have been detailing the Law in the study of Romans here on the forum. Paul said in Romas 6 that the Law id actually good and it is US, people who are the problem.

Since people generally lack common sense, common decency, or the desire for the common good, laws are created to keep us all in line and in check. Laws are created and enacted because some people do not properly behave. Laws often require us to do things that puts other people before ourselves and other goals before our own. God did the very same thing!

You probably have “household laws” in your own home which portray this quite well. Maybe you have rules about how much time children can spend on the computer, or who gets to sit where at mealtime, or what sort of chores need to be done before bedtime. If you think about any one of these rules, and they came into existence, you will likely recall the events and situations that led up to making such a law necessary for the happy existence of your family.

It is helpful to think about all biblical “laws” this way as well. Every law in the Bible is specific to a time and place and people. And every biblical law has a history behind it for why it was enacted and what it accomplished among the people who lived it. Yes, some of these laws, like “Do not murder,” are applicable to other times, people, and places, but that is not because all the laws are timeless decrees, but because people are people everywhere. Even if the Bible did not say, “Do not murder,” all humans everywhere naturally come up with this law against murder in order to maintain peace and stability. So even in the case of the 10 Commandments, all biblical “laws” are specific to a time and place and people, and they have a history behind how these laws were developed so that those people living in that time at that place could maintain peace and stability.

However......none of that applies to keeping the 10 Commandments simply for one reason, we Can Not Keep Them!

Hello Musicmaster and Major;

Both of your posts are interesting to me and I'd like to share my thoughts. I also have a question for you brothers.

In Matthew the Gospel was written to the Jews. The Jews' foundation was based on the teaching of Moses' Pentateuch, the traditions and practices during those times in the New Testament.

But Jesus' birth, ministry, message and death did bring many Jews to faith while distinguishing between the dedications to God yet opening their eyes to misleading traditions.

For years in my community we have had Jews for Jesus visit our Church and do a presentation of the Passover and the observances of Mosaic history. I don't want to dissect my experience (too long to get into) but I am not seeing what you shared in your posts, not the lack of, but the increase of Jewish traditions and thought.

My question to you is this; Is this increase in Mosaic Law really happening? What is the purpose of it in these times, whether modern or traditional?

No short answers are allowed. lol!

God bless you both.
Bob

Bob, the Mosaic Law, as Major pointed out, was for a specific time, people and place:

Exodus 19:5-9
5 'Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth [is] Mine.
6 'And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.' These [are] the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel."
7 So Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before them all these words which the LORD commanded him.
8 Then all the people answered together and said, "All that the LORD has spoken we will do." So Moses brought back the words of the people to the LORD.
9 And the LORD said to Moses, "Behold, I come to you in the thick cloud, that the people may hear when I speak with you, and believe you forever." So Moses told the words of the people to the LORD.

The nation lied to the Lord because within days they began their habit of disobedience and violation of that covenant of Law, and thus failing to the a "...special treasure to Me above all people..."

Now, don't get me wrong...anyone can observe the feasts and holidays, festivals, kosher diet, single material garment-wearing, Sabbaths, et al. The problem is when they begin teaching any of is as a requirement upon all who follow Christ.

The main movement that is known to live in violation of the above is known as Hebrew Roots, which has no centrally defining doctrine nor denominational authority for cohesiveness. The variations in beliefs among those who comprise that movement are quite broad...from the belief that keeping Torah observances is merely good works for storing up treasure in Heaven, to salvation being dependent upon at least attempting to obey Torah.

The answer, then, to your question is yes. The HR movement is growing. Two main reasons stand out in my mind as to why this is happening:

1) The enemy of our souls will use anything to draw people away from the purity of the Gospel and the clear teachings in the word of God, and
2) The flesh has a VERY strong desire to always run toward attempting to ADD to one's salvation any work that seems plausible so that they can feel as though they have accomplished something by the strength of their own arms and will.

It's great to want to understand, and even experience, the roots of our faith, but the extreme is a return to Torahism. It's great to study Torah and the prophets, but quite another to dare hammer upon others any requirement for obedience to that which has been fulfilled in Christ. It is through that fulfillment that His righteousness is IMPUTED upon us rather than our attempting the feebleness of trying to add anything to it through our own efforts.

I hope that helps to answer at least some of your thoughts.

MM

Hello Musicmaster and Major;

Both of your posts are interesting to me and I'd like to share my thoughts. I also have a question for you brothers.

In Matthew the Gospel was written to the Jews. The Jews' foundation was based on the teaching of Moses' Pentateuch, the traditions and practices during those times in the New Testament.

But Jesus' birth, ministry, message and death did bring many Jews to faith while distinguishing between the dedications to God yet opening their eyes to misleading traditions.

For years in my community we have had Jews for Jesus visit our Church and do a presentation of the Passover and the observances of Mosaic history. I don't want to dissect my experience (too long to get into) but I am not seeing what you shared in your posts, not the lack of, but the increase of Jewish traditions and thought.

My question to you is this; Is this increase in Mosaic Law really happening? What is the purpose of it in these times, whether modern or traditional?

No short answers are allowed. lol!

God bless you both.
Bob
What I have seen is the growth of the Seven Day Adventist movement which is regardless of what they say, a ministry thet works to enforce the Law of God Not only the day of worship but dietary as well.

The Church of God and the United Church of God have also grown. If you do a search on the net you will find 565 Church affiliations that teach and demand Sabbath keeping!

What I have seen is the growth of the Seven Day Adventist movement which is regardless of what they say, a ministry thet works to enforce the Law of God Not only the day of worship but dietary as well.

The Church of God and the United Church of God have also grown. If you do a search on the net you will find 565 Church affiliations that teach and demand Sabbath keeping!

Huh? SDA is now teaching kosher requirements?

MM

Bob, the Mosaic Law, as Major pointed out, was for a specific time, people and place: Now, don't get me wrong...anyone can observe the feasts and holidays, festivals, kosher diet, single material garment-wearing, Sabbaths, et al. The problem is when they begin teaching any of is as a requirement upon all who follow Christ. The main movement that is known to live in violation of the above is known as Hebrew Roots, The answer, then, to your question is yes. The HR movement is growing.
What I have seen is the growth of the Seven Day Adventist movement which is regardless of what they say, a ministry thet works to enforce the Law of God Not only the day of worship but dietary as well. The Church of God and the United Church of God have also grown. If you do a search on the net you will find 565 Church affiliations that teach and demand Sabbath keeping!

Amen, MM and Major;

There was a time and place for God's people and the Mosaic Law.

But our witness must continue to adapt to the measures or new directions of how we have these conversations in our witness, and personally, in what I have seen right here in the SF Bay Area. One of them is Postchristianity, also in other parts of the country and the world.

Postchristianity has included other newly formed traditions, clash cultures and I would have to speculate a "newer version" of Mosaic Law will be in the mix. There will be opportunities to have this discussion but our knowledge must increase.

God bless you, both, and thank you.

It's interesting that Matthew 24:7 speaks of the end times and how "ethnos" will rise against "ethnos," otherwise translated as "nation" in most English translations. In other words, we are going to see an increase in ethnic groupings rising against other ethic groupings. Understanding the Greek for what it says, the scope of the uprisings aren't going to be just nations, but ethnic factions within nations, weakening them all that have various ethnic groupings within them, America being a leader in that pack.

MM

It's interesting that Matthew 24:7 speaks of the end times and how "ethnos" will rise against "ethnos," otherwise translated as "nation" in most English translations. In other words, we are going to see an increase in ethnic groupings rising against other ethic groupings. Understanding the Greek for what it says, the scope of the uprisings aren't going to be just nations, but ethnic factions within nations, weakening them all that have various ethnic groupings within them, America being a leader in that pack.

MM
Arent we seeing exactly that right now?????

Black lives matter????

Yes sir...........The church places an emphasis on diet and health, including adhering to Kosher food laws, advocating vegetarianism and its holistic view of human nature—i.e. that the body, soul, and spirit form one inseparable entity.

Source: Arnoldi, Tina (March 13, 2020). "The Holistic Approach to Care in the Adventist Church". Theravive.

Hmm. Is she somehow related to their woman prophetess? What was her name...Mary Baker Eddie...?

MM

What do people make of this?

Exo_10:25 Moses said, “You must let us have sacrifices and burnt offerings to offer to the LORD our God.”

Eze_46:4 And the burnt offering that the prince shall offer unto the LORD in the sabbath day shall be six lambs without blemish, and a ram without blemish.

Ezekiel 20:40 For in my holy mountain, in the mountain of the height of Israel, says the Lord Yahweh, there shall all the house of Israel, all of them, serve me in the land: there will I accept them, and there will I require your offerings, and the first fruits of your offerings, with all your holy things.

Ezekiel 44:15 But the priests, the Levites, the sons of Zadok, who performed the duty of my sanctuary when the children of Israel went astray from me, they shall come near to me to minister to me; and they shall stand before me to offer to me the fat and the blood, says the Lord Yahweh:

Isa_34:6 The sword of the LORD is filled with blood, it is made fat with fatness, and with the blood of lambs and goats, with the fat of the kidneys of rams: for the LORD hath a sacrifice in Bozrah, and a great slaughter in the land of Idumea.

Jeremiah 7:21 Thus says Yahweh of Armies, the God of Israel: Add your burnt offerings to your sacrifices, and eat meat.

Compared to this?

1Sa 15:22 And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

Deu 12:31 Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.

Psa 40:6 Sacrifice and offering You did not desire; My ears You have opened. Burnt offering and sin offering you did not require.

Bring no more vain offerings; incense is an abomination to me. New moon and Sabbath and the calling of convocations—I cannot endure iniquity and solemn assembly. (Isaiah 1:13)

Isaiah 1:11 NKJV "To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices to Me?" Says the LORD. "I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams And the fat of fed cattle. I do not delight in the blood of bulls, Or of lambs or goats.

.?

All of those Scriptures concern animal sacrifices/burnt offerings.
God’s people offered burnt offerings since the earliest days. In Genesis 8:20, we’re told Noah sacrificed burnt offerings in gratitude and respect to God after the flood.

It was a symbolic practice and the ultimate fulfillment of the burnt offering is in Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross.

Now, WHY does God say bring a burnt offering in some places and NOT to bring in others. Those Scriptures were when Israel was in rebellion against God. God was tired of a rebellious people who were seemingly paying lip service to His decrees. He wants their hearts, their souls, their genuine love, not petty or false acts of service.

When Jesus cleared the Temple, they were buying and selling animals for sacrifice. If that is the right thing to do, why did Jesus clear the temple?

Ah, now I think I understand the dilemma.

Clearing the temple commons did not stop the sacrifices inside the area where the sacrifices were taking place.

So, the question to you is, what are your assumptions about those sacrifices?

The people of that time were indeed required to offer up sacrifices under that Covenant of the Mosaic Law, which was fulfilled by Yahshuah, and replaced by the covenant in His blood. The people at the time He cleared out the money changers and merchants, they were still under the Law of Moses. We are not, so what are your thoughts about all that?

MM

When Jesus cleared the Temple, they were buying and selling animals for sacrifice. If that is the right thing to do, why did Jesus clear the temple?
It had nothing to do with the sacrifice, if you read beyond that Jesus said they were making the house of worship into a den of thieves. It was about their greed and crooked practices as to why He cleared the temple.

You speak of a couple of things. Let me deal with one, by asking you a question. They were buying animals for sacrifice. Who, in a short while, was going to be the ultimate sacrifice for all time?

Yahshuah was sacrificed soon after. Yes. I agree.

However, the cup of the New Covenant had not yet been passed to the hand of mankind, soon after which was fulfilled when the Savior said, "It is finished" at the point of His physical death on the cross.

Before all that, however, the Mosaic Law was still in effect, even though Israel had violated that covenant within hours after saying that they would obey all that the Lord commanded while still out there in the desert.

MM

The Jews are still under the law of Moses, and that law requires sacrifice. My God does not require sacrifice. Does that not raise questions in your mind as to whether or not we worship the same God.

Hello Robin;

Christian men and women of God all worship the same God but what raises questions in my mind are the questionable doctrines (including sacrifices) that people stand on.

As another poster said, there is a lack of Bible literacy in our Christian Churches. It's a brutal statement but so true. When we have more consistency in our desire for gained wisdom and knowledge we will be on the right track of the True doctrine including the right or wayward way of the world when we share with others.

God bless you always, brother.

The Jews are still under the law of Moses, and that law requires sacrifice. My God does not require sacrifice. Does that not raise questions in your mind as to whether or not we worship the same God.

Remember, the Jews worship the "God of the Jews." A one nation god.

Well, given that I am Israeli, and not under the Mosaic Law, I'm somewhat confused about your post. Please elaborate on that aspect...how is it that the "Jews" are still under the Mosaic Law. I'd appreciate that.

Additionally, I don't believe that the God of Abraham is any different than the God of whom Paul preached. He is One and the same. Paul spoke quite voluminously about the fulfillment of the covenant of Law, and the ushering in of the New Covenant, which is not Law, but grace.

For my understanding, I would very much appreciate your going into more detail.

Thanks much.

MM

I can take a hint and will close after this, but the following is important for its consistency.

AN EARTHLY LORD

Exo 32:5 And when Aaron saw it, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made proclamation, and said, To morrow is a feast to the LORD.
Exo 32:6 And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play.
Exo 32:7 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go, get thee down; for thy people, which thou broughtest out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves:

Exo 25:1-11 KJV
(1) And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
(2) Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring me an offering: of every man that giveth it willingly with his heart ye shall take my offering.
(3) And this is the offering which ye shall take of them; gold, and silver, and brass,
(4) And blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine linen, and goats' hair,
(5) And rams' skins dyed red, and badgers' skins, and shittim wood,
(6) Oil for the light, spices for anointing oil, and for sweet incense,
(7) Onyx stones, and stones to be set in the ephod, and in the breastplate.
(8) And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.
(9) According to all that I shew thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it.
(10) And they shall make an ark of shittim wood: two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof, and a cubit and a half the height thereof.
(11) And thou shalt overlay it with pure gold, within and without shalt thou overlay it, and shalt make upon it a crown of gold round about. ……

THE LORD MEETS MOSES FROM BETWEEN TWO CHERUBIM
(22) And there I will meet with thee, and I will commune with thee from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubims which are upon the ark of the testimony, of all things which I will give thee in commandment unto the children of Israel.

THE LORD REQUIRES EARTHLY WEALTH
Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, “Tell the sons of Israel to raise a contribution for Me; from every man whose heart moves him you shall raise My contribution. And this is the contribution which you are to raise from them: gold, silver and bronze, blue, purple and scarlet material, fine linen, goat hair, rams’ skins dyed red, porpoise skins, acacia wood, oil for lighting, spices for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense, onyx stones and setting stones and setting stones, for the ephod and for the breastpiece. And let them construct a sanctuary for Me, that I may dwell among them” (Exodus 25:1-8).

AND EARTHLY GOODS
Take from among you a contribution to the LORD; whoever is of a willing heart, let him bring it as the LORD’S contribution: gold, silver, and bronze, and blue, purple and scarlet material, fine linen, goats’ hair, and rams’ skins dyed red, and porpoise skins, and acacia wood, and oil for lighting, and spices for the anointing oil, and for the fragrant incense, and onyx stones and setting stones for the ephod and for the breastpiece. And let every skillful man among you come, and make all that the LORD has commanded’” (Exodus 35:1-10).

THEY GIVE GOLD TO THE LORD
Num 31:49 And they said unto Moses, Thy servants have taken the sum of the men of war which are under our charge, and there lacketh not one man of us.
Num 31:50 We have therefore brought an oblation for the LORD, what every man hath gotten, of jewels of gold, chains, and bracelets, rings, earrings, and tablets, to make an atonement for our souls before the LORD.
Num 31:51 And Moses and Eleazar the priest took the gold of them, even all wrought jewels.
Num 31:52 And all the gold of the offering that they offered up to the LORD, of the captains of thousands, and of the captains of hundreds, was sixteen thousand seven hundred and fifty shekels.
Num 31:53 (For the men of war had taken spoil, every man for himself.)
Num 31:54 And Moses and Eleazar the priest took the gold of the captains of thousands and of hundreds, and brought it into the tabernacle of the congregation, for a memorial for the children of Israel before the LORD.

As the LORD of Moses required earthly goods, could it have been Melchizedek?

I wish Robin would not stop, because I remain confused as to what this is all supposed to mean.

MM

Back